View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 42  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Killer's Korner
Pablo wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/05/is_detroit_lions_de_kyle_vande.html

Quote:
Is Detroit Lions DE Kyle Vanden Bosch losing a step? Not a chance says teammate Willie Young

ALLEN PARK -- As part of the Detroit Lions' practice routine, the players open up with a series of stretches and sprints.

Since he signed with the organization in 2010, defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been the first player to cross the finish line during sprints, often leaving his teammates in the dust.

At least that was the case until Monday's OTA practice, when quarterback Matthew Stafford zoomed past Vanden Bosch, following it up with a little dancing taunt.

"He caught me sleeping," Vanden Bosch said. "I beat him today, so we're evened up."

Jokingly, I asked Vanden Bosch if he was losing a step. Teammate Willie Young, jumped in to field the question.

"Did you say losing a step?" Young repeated incredulously. "I tell you what. You come in at five in the morning, and let me see you keep up with this guy. C'mon, this is my third year ... I'm still trying to catch up."

Gotta luv this part

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford playfully taunts teammate Kyle Vanden Bosch after beating the defensive end during a sprint at a recent OTA practice.

That is awesome! Glad the team is having fun during OTAs.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 25th, 2012, 2:28 pm
Team MVP

I like what I'm hearing.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 25th, 2012, 5:07 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
Lions' Ndamukong Suh ready to share tips with younger players

Coach Suh?

Not quite. But as the Lions get set to begin their second week of organized team activities, third-year defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said he's ready to lend a helping hand to younger players.

"If I see a guy that needs some help and just might need a word here or (there) just to understand a little bit better, as Coach uses some of us as starters or guys that have been here a couple years that are still young that say look at what he's doing and mimic that or whatever.

"Then I'll say, 'Yeah, this is how I got to this position, this is how I got to my position to get to where Coach likes it.' "

Suh has not earned a reputation as a vocal team leader just yet. But his locker is position in a corner, sandwiched between the lockers of two of the team's most influential leaders: Kyle Vanden Bosch and Matthew Stafford.

Suh might not be the most vociferous player on the team, but he said he doesn't mind chiming in.

"So I don't have a problem stepping up and saying anything," Suh said. "I'm more ... of a guy that kind of shows by example. Just being able to do it, a couple tips here and there should be fine."

May 29th, 2012, 10:05 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions could face financial penalties for offseason arrests

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz said his team's recent troubles are hurting the organization's reputation.

It could soon hurt Detroit's wallet.

Detroit's recent alcohol and drug-related arrests of running back Mikel Leshoure and defensive tackle Nick Fairley could lead to financial penalties, according to NFL rules.

As first pointed out by FOX Sports writer Alex Marvez, any club that has at least two players suspended for violations in the same season under three different policies (performance-enhancing drugs, substances of abuse and personal conduct) must remit a portion of their salary to the league. The collected funds will be used to support the steroid and drug policies, the Player Care Foundation, and other research and player development programs.

If Leshoure and Fairley are suspended for repeat violations under the substance-abuse policy, the Lions will be required to submit to the NFL 25 percent of their respective base salaries for each game missed up to $200,000. Neither player would be paid during the suspensions.

Fairley is slated to earn $48,500 each game as part of his $824,500 base salary for 2012. Leshoure will earn $465,000, which translates to roughly $27,350 per game.

If Johnny Culbreath, who is slated to make $465,000 this season, is suspended for his marijuana possession arrest this offseason, that number will increase.

"Obviously, we're going to use every tool we have to be able to handle that but the league also has ways that they can address," Schwartz said. "From this standpoint, we've never had an incident we haven't addressed through every means that we can.

"We don't gloss over any or things like that. The league getting involved is generally things that are under their jurisdiction. I don't know any other way to answer that one."

The NFL is currently reviewing Fairley's recent arrest under its league policies, according to league spokesperson Greg Aiello.

Here is how the penalties are calculated:

-- 1st player suspended: no remittance
-- 2nd player suspended: 25% of the player's forfeited Paragraph 5 salary up to a maximum of $200,000
-- 3rd player suspended: 33% of the player's forfeited Paragraph 5 salary up to a maximum of $350,000
-- 4th player suspended and above: 50% of the player's forfeited Paragraph 5 salary up to a maximum of $500,000
-- If the player has had prior violations of law or is a repeat offender under the relevant policy, the remitted amount will be doubled with respect to that suspension, subject to the maximum amounts above. In appropriate cases, conduct occurring prior to the player's entry into the League will be considered.

In addition, all clubs will be reset to zero for calculation purposes following the conclusion of each postseason.

May 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Freep wrote:
Lions' Tom Lewand in contact with Roger Goodell concerning off-field issues

Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand said he has been in contact with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about his team’s recent off-field problems, but he declined to speculate on what punishment, if any, running back Mikel Leshoure and defensive tackle Nick Fairley will face this fall.

“We’ve been active in our participation with the league,” Lewand said today at the Detroit Lions Invitational charity golf outing. “We’ve handled matters internally, we’ve made our thoughts known publicly about our expectations and the need for accountability and responsibility and, beyond that, I don’t think it makes a lot of sense for us to comment on the details.”

The Lions have had three players involved in five different off-field run-ins with police this off-season.

Leshoure was cited twice for marijuana possession in west Michigan, Fairley was arrested on a possession charge in April and for driving under the influence of alcohol last month, and Johnny Culbreath was arrested on marijuana charges in January.

All three are subject to possible suspensions under the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.

“I think, clearly, anybody who makes mistakes needs to take ownership of their actions and it, obviously, is disappointing for us,” Lewand said. “We have a high standard of accountability. That starts with me, that starts with ownership, when we make mistakes -- and I’ve made mine -- you take ownership of those responsibilities. You take accountability. And that expectation is very clear.

“But we also can’t lose sight of the fact that we have a great group of guys, a great nucleus of veteran guys on our team that really are tremendous on the field and off the field, as evidenced by their participation today. And so we’ve got to keep things in perspective, but at the same time, make sure everybody’s accountable and understands the high standards that we have in our organization.”

June 7th, 2012, 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
Quote:
Lions' Ndamukong Suh ready to share tips with younger players

Coach Suh?

Not quite. But as the Lions get set to begin their second week of organized team activities, third-year defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said he's ready to lend a helping hand to younger players.

"If I see a guy that needs some help and just might need a word here or (there) just to understand a little bit better, as Coach uses some of us as starters or guys that have been here a couple years that are still young that say look at what he's doing and mimic that or whatever.

"Then I'll say, 'Yeah, this is how I got to this position, this is how I got to my position to get to where Coach likes it.' "

Suh has not earned a reputation as a vocal team leader just yet. But his locker is position in a corner, sandwiched between the lockers of two of the team's most influential leaders: Kyle Vanden Bosch and Matthew Stafford.

Suh might not be the most vociferous player on the team, but he said he doesn't mind chiming in.

"So I don't have a problem stepping up and saying anything," Suh said. "I'm more ... of a guy that kind of shows by example. Just being able to do it, a couple tips here and there should be fine."

I don't mean to be cynical. But, shouldn't Suh put a little distance behind himself and his last indiscretion before he starts issuing his sage advice?

June 7th, 2012, 10:07 pm
QB Coach

Actually it's the perfect opportunity for him to share by his own experience, what NOT to do.

Let me ask this question, do you respect the man/woman that teaches about a subject having never actually done it, or do you prefer the one who has done it, and can show how to negotiate around some of the negative stuff.

In a way it's like discipleship, in that you are working with someone saying, don't step there, don't do that, and here's why..... drawing off of your experience to illustrate the teaching moments.

After last season, I beleive Suh is in a good place to mentor younger fellas coming up. Fairley appears to be in need of some mentoring on and off the field and Suh has the background to show what not to do. I also read an article on DL.com that said GC was taking a fatherly approach to Fairley, which seems like an EXCELLENT idea.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

June 8th, 2012, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Jim Schwartz loses by re-signing with Detroit Lions this offseason

ALLEN PARK -- Logic says Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz should want to sign a contract extension this offseason.

Schwartz is entering the last season of a four-year deal. Most coaches are considered lame duck if they enter the final year of their deal without a new contract. Schwartz has an opportunity to lock up his long-term future by signing a deal sooner rather than later.

Lions president Tom Lewand recently was asked about Schwartz's new contract and said he did not have any updates.

If Schwartz is smart, he should make sure Lewand does not have an update until 2013.

Schwartz has more to lose by signing a contract extension this offseason instead of waiting until next year. The contract would benefit Detroit, mostly because Lewand could lock up an up-and-coming coach for several years, but it does nothing for Schwartz.

First of all, Schwartz has an 18-30 record as Detroit's head coach. He does not have a playoff victory. Schwartz only has one winning season on his resume. He also is the leader of a group of players who have accounted for five arrests this summer. Titus Young's sucker punch of Louis Delmas is also under Schwartz's watch.

That is not enough leverage to obtain a significant contract.

According to Forbes magazine's annual rankings of the highest-paid coaches in professional sports, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick's $7.5 million annual salary is most of any NFL coach.

Seattle's Pete Carroll's salary is second ($7 million), followed by Rams coach Jeff Fisher ($7 million), Washington's Mike Shanahan ($7 million), Chicago's Lovie Smith ($6 million), Arizona's Ken Whisenhunt ($5.8 million), Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin ($5.8 million) and Philadelphia's Andy Reid ($5.5 million).

If Schwartz signed right now, his contract might be in the $3-4 million a year range.

However, Schwartz's stock could soar after this season.

Detroit has a chance to compete for a Super Bowl title this season.

Not a competitive record, but a Super Bowl.

Imagine what Schwartz's asking price might be after a few playoffs wins. It would be even greater with a Super Bowl appearance.

It also makes sense for Schwartz to wait because coaches do not have the same sense of urgency as players.

While players must get paid now because their careers do not last long, coaches have guaranteed contracts and have no need to rush.

For instance, Belichick was Cleveland's head coach from 1991-95. Belichick was New England's assistant head coach and defensive backs coach with the Patriots for the 1996 season. He then became the New York Jets' assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for the Jets from 1997 to 1999 before becoming New England's head coach.

Schwartz has the same option.

If Schwartz waits to sign a new contract, he could earn more money with another successful season under his belt. He could also move closer to a .500 record. Schwartz would have more leverage after two consecutive playoff appearances. He would be sitting in the catbird seat if Detroit made it to the Super Bowl.

If Schwartz's team misses the playoffs this season, his current offer would likely be the same in 2013 as it probably is right now.

And even if Detroit decided to replace Schwartz (highly unlikely), he easily could take over as a defensive coordinator for another team and become the head coach of another team down the line, like Belichick. Detroit could promote offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, keep defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, and add different components to its coaching staff, if the organization wanted to go there.

Of course, losing Schwartz is Detroit's worst-case scenario.

Detroit and Schwartz likely will most likely work out a deal in the future.

In Schwartz's case, it should be later rather than sooner.

June 11th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

While I agree with the author's sentiment, all his Super Bowl talk is.......premature.

June 11th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Pablo wrote:
MLive wrote:
Jim Schwartz loses by re-signing with Detroit Lions this offseason

ALLEN PARK -- Logic says Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz should want to sign a contract extension this offseason.

Schwartz is entering the last season of a four-year deal. Most coaches are considered lame duck if they enter the final year of their deal without a new contract. Schwartz has an opportunity to lock up his long-term future by signing a deal sooner rather than later.

Lions president Tom Lewand recently was asked about Schwartz's new contract and said he did not have any updates.

If Schwartz is smart, he should make sure Lewand does not have an update until 2013.

Schwartz has more to lose by signing a contract extension this offseason instead of waiting until next year. The contract would benefit Detroit, mostly because Lewand could lock up an up-and-coming coach for several years, but it does nothing for Schwartz.

First of all, Schwartz has an 18-30 record as Detroit's head coach. He does not have a playoff victory. Schwartz only has one winning season on his resume. He also is the leader of a group of players who have accounted for five arrests this summer. Titus Young's sucker punch of Louis Delmas is also under Schwartz's watch.

That is not enough leverage to obtain a significant contract.

According to Forbes magazine's annual rankings of the highest-paid coaches in professional sports, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick's $7.5 million annual salary is most of any NFL coach.

Seattle's Pete Carroll's salary is second ($7 million), followed by Rams coach Jeff Fisher ($7 million), Washington's Mike Shanahan ($7 million), Chicago's Lovie Smith ($6 million), Arizona's Ken Whisenhunt ($5.8 million), Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin ($5.8 million) and Philadelphia's Andy Reid ($5.5 million).

If Schwartz signed right now, his contract might be in the $3-4 million a year range.

However, Schwartz's stock could soar after this season.

Detroit has a chance to compete for a Super Bowl title this season.

Not a competitive record, but a Super Bowl.

Imagine what Schwartz's asking price might be after a few playoffs wins. It would be even greater with a Super Bowl appearance.

It also makes sense for Schwartz to wait because coaches do not have the same sense of urgency as players.

While players must get paid now because their careers do not last long, coaches have guaranteed contracts and have no need to rush.

For instance, Belichick was Cleveland's head coach from 1991-95. Belichick was New England's assistant head coach and defensive backs coach with the Patriots for the 1996 season. He then became the New York Jets' assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for the Jets from 1997 to 1999 before becoming New England's head coach.

Schwartz has the same option.

If Schwartz waits to sign a new contract, he could earn more money with another successful season under his belt. He could also move closer to a .500 record. Schwartz would have more leverage after two consecutive playoff appearances. He would be sitting in the catbird seat if Detroit made it to the Super Bowl.

If Schwartz's team misses the playoffs this season, his current offer would likely be the same in 2013 as it probably is right now.

And even if Detroit decided to replace Schwartz (highly unlikely), he easily could take over as a defensive coordinator for another team and become the head coach of another team down the line, like Belichick. Detroit could promote offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, keep defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, and add different components to its coaching staff, if the organization wanted to go there.

Of course, losing Schwartz is Detroit's worst-case scenario.

Detroit and Schwartz likely will most likely work out a deal in the future.

In Schwartz's case, it should be later rather than sooner.

I recognize how difficult it must be to write about football in mid-June, but this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Both sides will want an extension, and Schwartz will not "hold out" until the end of the year.

1. Failing to reach a contract agreement before the season starts makes Schwartz a lame duck. No coach wants to be a lame duck--human beings want job security. Likewise, no player wants to play for a lame duck (ask John Fox about this).

2. For Schwartz, this strategy would be a serious risk--if the team doesn't perform well, he's out of job AND he's demonstrated to other owners that he will have extreme contract demands. This isn't like unrestricted free agency where he can hit the open market and get a big payday.

3. Schwartz would also be sending a message to his players that he's not interested in coaching them anymore. He'll look like he's abandoning them for cash.

4. For the players, a coach in the last year of his contract usually means a new coach will be in place next year. This means the current coach loses any authority in the locker room--the players know he'll be gone anyway, so there's little accountability. If folks are critical of the Lions' behavioral issues now, just imagine what happens if the coach loses the ability to hold them accountable.

5. The author acts as if the Lions' will view Schwartz as an 18-30 coach, rather than the coach that inherited the worst team of all time and brought them to the playoffs. I'm sure they'll negotiate vigorously but it would be insulting for the Lions to act as if Schwartz still needs to "prove himself."

6. The author mentions the possibility of winning a Super Bowl, and mentions the salaries of other coaches who have played in Super Bowls. While the Lions have a shot at the Super Bowl this year, it is pretty risky to wager your career on the chance that your team will make the Super Bowl this year.

7. How in the world are you going to inspire your team to commit to a Super Bowl run when they all think you are looking for a better opportunity?

8. If Schwartz signs an extension, I imagine it could contain escalators and incentives that would properly reward him for getting to/winning a Super Bowl.

This article is completely disconnected from reality--it's difficult to see how something like this even gets published.

June 12th, 2012, 9:40 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Amen

June 12th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Quote:
Lions' Martin Mayhew: DT Nick Fairley has been 'outstanding' in practice

With arrests for possession of marijuana and driving under the influence of alcohol, Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley has made headlines for all the wrong reasons this off-season.

But Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said today that, on the field, Fairley has been one of the most pleasant surprises of the spring.

Mayhew listed Fairley, defensive end Willie Young and running back Jahvid Best when asked to name a few candidates for a breakout season this year.

“He’s had an outstanding off-season out here on the field, not so good off the field, but he’s been outstanding in practice here,” Mayhew said of Fairley. “He’s worked his butt off; he’s in great condition. He’s done some things out here on tape, just running around, that make you run the tape back and go, ‘Who is that?’ He has tremendous, tremendous talent level and, hopefully, he can fulfill that.”

• Related: Mayhew says 'no panic button' in Avril negotiations

The 13th overall pick in the 2011 draft, Fairley was limited to 10 games by a broken foot last year and had just one sack as he played through pain much of the fall.

He was arrested in April for possession of marijuana and was detained last month on DUI charges and for attempting to elude police.

Fairley is awaiting hearings on both cases, and Lions president Tom Lewand indicated in a radio interview Tuesday that he expects Fairley to be suspended for part of the season, based on NFL precedent.

“Nick Fairley has been very impressive out here in practice,” Mayhew said. “Willie Young has been outstanding. Jahvid has really caught my eye, and I’m leaving guys out, but there are a number of guys on this team that could really have breakout years.”

Mayhew addressed several other topics in a nearly 12-minute interview with reporters today:

• On where first-round pick Riley Reiff will play this year: “I see him playing tackle for us, and we’ll see kind of how it all falls, if he’s a starter from day one or if he eventually takes over. He’s an eventual starter and a long-time starter for us.”

• On how comfortable he is with his current stable of running backs: “I like the group of guys that we have. I think Jahvid has been outstanding. You guys have seen him, but his speed, quickness, he looks great. Mikel (Leshoure is) still recovering from his injury. Kevin Smith has looked good this off-season; he’s also been injured. That group of guys, if they’re healthy, which is a really big if, is an outstanding group of players.”

• On bringing some veteran safeties in for visits this spring but not adding to the position yet: “We decided to wait on that. We’re continuing to dialogue with some veteran guys, but we’re also watching these guys right now.”

• On the Lions' overall roster: “Definitely the most talented team that we’ve been able to put together, so I’m excited to see these guys play this year. We’ve got the right mix, I think. We’ve got some young guys, some experienced guys. I think it’s really going to help us playing the way we played last year.”

• On whether it has been tougher to make trades this year: “I think what’s happened is we’ve improved to a point where sometimes a guy is available, and we don’t have a desire to give something up to get those guys.”

June 13th, 2012, 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

I like what im reading, especially about Fairley, Reiff, and Best.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 13th, 2012, 1:59 pm
RIP Killer

Freep wrote:
Lions' Gunther Cunningham: I should've seen Nick Fairley's troubles coming

BROOKLYN — Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham spent Father’s Day at Michigan International Speedway with his daughter and son-in-law.

Cunningham chatted with reporters during the two-hour rain delay before the Quicken Loans 400 and seemed determined to give plenty of fatherly advice to a couple of Lions — Nick Fairley and Mikel Leshoure, who have been in trouble with the law in the off-season.

Leshoure, a running back, was suspended for two games without pay and must forfeit two more game checks for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, after being cited twice for possession of marijuana in Berrien County and pleading guilty to lesser drug charges both times.

Fairley, a defensive tackle, was arrested twice in Mobile, Ala., on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and possession of marijuana. His legal issues have not been resolved.

“The disappointment that I have is that I bogged myself down in so much paperwork that I didn’t see that coming,” Cunningham said of Fairley’s troubles. “And I should have seen it. With my experience, I should have understood.”

Cunningham said in the last month he had talked to coach Jim Schwartz about having “a lot of one-on-ones with a lot of different guys.”

Cunningham said he could name 25 players he coached with the Kansas City Chiefs who were a lot worse than Fairley and Leshoure.

“I’ll give you one example, Dan Saleaumua,” Cunningham said, referring to the Lions’ seventh-round pick in 1987 who played in the Pro Bowl as a Chief in 1995. “(The Lions) threw him out. He went to the Pro Bowl for me. Now he has a chain of, I think, 55 drug stores … and he runs them like a football team, and he’s worth a lot of money. We didn’t give up on him.”

Cunningham said he learned as a young coach from late Raiders owner Al Davis that he couldn’t get rid of everybody who made a mistake.

“Al Davis always put three fingers up,” Cunningham said. “He said, ‘Son, some day you’re going to learn it takes three years how to learn and act to play in this game,’ and he wasn’t wrong. You can’t give up just because a guy takes a wrong turn. You just gotta smack ’em upside the head or you gotta love ’em.

“People always look at me like I’m going to choke ’em all, and sometimes I do. You have to give them a different love sometimes.

“Nick is a great guy.

“Mikel, I talked to last week. He had this look on his face. I said, ‘You’re carrying it and everybody sees you doing it. They think you are all going sideways about this situation.’ I said, ‘You need to get that smile back on your face and show your teammates you’re going to solve this problem.’

“And he started laughing and I saw him make a cut against us in practice. Whoa. He’s back and feeling good about himself again because we all make mistakes.”

June 18th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

man thats good coaching!!!

June 18th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 42  Next