HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Killer's Korner
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14958
Page 24 of 47

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ February 19th, 2013, 7:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

BillySims wrote:
1) I didn't say you advocated starting them. I advocated it. We do not need to replace 2 DE's this year is all I'm saying. I think Willy Young is capable. Will he work out? I don't know. But, we have 3 guys that can be rotated in and out.

2) So what? They are young. That does not mean they are subpar. The 2 LBers won't be any worse than Durant and Levy. As for the DE's being Subpar. A 4th round draft pick with a year of experience is exactly what you advocated in the other thread. We did it. Last year. Ronnell Lewis is a 4th round Draft pick that has now got a year of experience under his belt. And Safeties are not exactly the hardest position to fill with good talent.

So, in short, I do not believe this team is "PHUCKED". I don't have an oppinion how many games they will win next season yet. We are only in the infancy of this off season. And you already need tranquilizers.


Billy, these guys aren't just young, they ARE subpar. Levy sucks, Durant is just mediocre, and Whitehead and Lewis couldn't get any playing time. They were subpar on special teams, and their skills couldn't get them playing time over very average starters. The same can be said about Reiff. I'm ok with Fisher at LT and Reiff at RT, but I have a bad, bad feeling we're going to go Millner or Jones at 5, and we're going to leave the OL in shambles.

Safeties aren't the hardest position to fill, but I highly doubt we get a day one starting caliber safety out of round 3 or 4, sorry. We may start the guy we pick in round 3-4, but that doesn't mean that he would start on any other team in the NFL.

Author:  BillySims [ February 19th, 2013, 7:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
1) I didn't say you advocated starting them. I advocated it. We do not need to replace 2 DE's this year is all I'm saying. I think Willy Young is capable. Will he work out? I don't know. But, we have 3 guys that can be rotated in and out.

2) So what? They are young. That does not mean they are subpar. The 2 LBers won't be any worse than Durant and Levy. As for the DE's being Subpar. A 4th round draft pick with a year of experience is exactly what you advocated in the other thread. We did it. Last year. Ronnell Lewis is a 4th round Draft pick that has now got a year of experience under his belt. And Safeties are not exactly the hardest position to fill with good talent.

So, in short, I do not believe this team is "PHUCKED". I don't have an oppinion how many games they will win next season yet. We are only in the infancy of this off season. And you already need tranquilizers.


Billy, these guys aren't just young, they ARE subpar. Levy sucks, Durant is just mediocre, and Whitehead and Lewis couldn't get any playing time. They were subpar on special teams, and their skills couldn't get them playing time over very average starters. The same can be said about Reiff. I'm ok with Fisher at LT and Reiff at RT, but I have a bad, bad feeling we're going to go Millner or Jones at 5, and we're going to leave the OL in shambles.

Safeties aren't the hardest position to fill, but I highly doubt we get a day one starting caliber safety out of round 3 or 4, sorry. We may start the guy we pick in round 3-4, but that doesn't mean that he would start on any other team in the NFL.


RE: The bolded area. You know exactly how that works. The lower paid rookie is not going to start ahead of highly paid veterans so that the highly paid veteran will do nothing but sit the bench. It doesn't mean that they are not good enough to take the job. You won't know until they get the playing time.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ February 19th, 2013, 7:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
1) I didn't say you advocated starting them. I advocated it. We do not need to replace 2 DE's this year is all I'm saying. I think Willy Young is capable. Will he work out? I don't know. But, we have 3 guys that can be rotated in and out.

2) So what? They are young. That does not mean they are subpar. The 2 LBers won't be any worse than Durant and Levy. As for the DE's being Subpar. A 4th round draft pick with a year of experience is exactly what you advocated in the other thread. We did it. Last year. Ronnell Lewis is a 4th round Draft pick that has now got a year of experience under his belt. And Safeties are not exactly the hardest position to fill with good talent.

So, in short, I do not believe this team is "PHUCKED". I don't have an oppinion how many games they will win next season yet. We are only in the infancy of this off season. And you already need tranquilizers.


Billy, these guys aren't just young, they ARE subpar. Levy sucks, Durant is just mediocre, and Whitehead and Lewis couldn't get any playing time. They were subpar on special teams, and their skills couldn't get them playing time over very average starters. The same can be said about Reiff. I'm ok with Fisher at LT and Reiff at RT, but I have a bad, bad feeling we're going to go Millner or Jones at 5, and we're going to leave the OL in shambles.

Safeties aren't the hardest position to fill, but I highly doubt we get a day one starting caliber safety out of round 3 or 4, sorry. We may start the guy we pick in round 3-4, but that doesn't mean that he would start on any other team in the NFL.


RE: The bolded area. You know exactly how that works. The lower paid rookie is not going to start ahead of highly paid veterans so that the highly paid veteran will do nothing but sit the bench. It doesn't mean that they are not good enough to take the job. You won't know until they get the playing time.


BS, ESPECIALLY when the "highly paid vet" is a FA in the next offseason. If they could have put the screws to Levy and not played him (costing him money in the offseason) they would have. That's how it works...

Author:  sweetd20 [ February 19th, 2013, 8:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

I would agree with the BS, but on this team with the archaic DC that doesn't play rookies unless absolutely necessary Billy might be right on this one. The thing I didn't like about both those LBs when they drafted them is that neither looked great at shedding blocks or dropping into coverage coming out of college and both of those things are paramount in this defensive scheme. Maybe they've improved but at least one new LB that can cover is necessary and more likely two.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ February 19th, 2013, 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

sweetd20 wrote:
I would agree with the BS, but on this team with the archaic DC that doesn't play rookies unless absolutely necessary Billy might be right on this one. The thing I didn't like about both those LBs when they drafted them is that neither looked great at shedding blocks or dropping into coverage coming out of college and both of those things are paramount in this defensive scheme. Maybe they've improved but at least one new LB that can cover is necessary and more likely two.


I agree...

There is virtually no way we can field a good team next year. Even if we are somehow able to bring back Durant, and Houston, this team is still going to blow next year. Too many holes, not enough money/draft picks to fix them.

Author:  rao [ February 20th, 2013, 11:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I would agree with the BS, but on this team with the archaic DC that doesn't play rookies unless absolutely necessary Billy might be right on this one. The thing I didn't like about both those LBs when they drafted them is that neither looked great at shedding blocks or dropping into coverage coming out of college and both of those things are paramount in this defensive scheme. Maybe they've improved but at least one new LB that can cover is necessary and more likely two.


I agree...

There is virtually no way we can field a good team next year. Even if we are somehow able to bring back Durant, and Houston, this team is still going to blow next year. Too many holes, not enough money/draft picks to fix them.


That's not entirely true, there is an easy and obvious way to field a "good" team next year. They can focus completely on the offense. If they were able to get a LT, WR2, RG, and a nice scatback they could fill the defense with cheap vets and camp cuts. This makes them the Houston Texans from a few years back. They would still miss the playoffs but they would also put up a respectable record.

At the least fixing the offense makes the game watchable on one side of the ball.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ February 20th, 2013, 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I would agree with the BS, but on this team with the archaic DC that doesn't play rookies unless absolutely necessary Billy might be right on this one. The thing I didn't like about both those LBs when they drafted them is that neither looked great at shedding blocks or dropping into coverage coming out of college and both of those things are paramount in this defensive scheme. Maybe they've improved but at least one new LB that can cover is necessary and more likely two.


I agree...

There is virtually no way we can field a good team next year. Even if we are somehow able to bring back Durant, and Houston, this team is still going to blow next year. Too many holes, not enough money/draft picks to fix them.


That's not entirely true, there is an easy and obvious way to field a "good" team next year. They can focus completely on the offense. If they were able to get a LT, WR2, RG, and a nice scatback they could fill the defense with cheap vets and camp cuts. This makes them the Houston Texans from a few years back. They would still miss the playoffs but they would also put up a respectable record.

At the least fixing the offense makes the game watchable on one side of the ball.


I agree that fixing the offense is the best way to field a team next year, but even the Texans had a mediocre D. With literally no one at DE, CB and needing a LB and S I really think our D would be one of the worst in the league.

We could draft an LT, #2 WR, and RB in rounds 1-3 and have a more than solid offense, but our D is going to be so putrid if we do that I still don't think we win more than 6 games. I think it's the right move. I think we need to start now, get some continuity with players on the O side of the ball, and this is Staff's and CJ's team, so fix that side and let them be the engine that drives us, but IMO if we do that we go 6-10 next year, and start building the D in 2014.

I don't think people understand, that if we fix the O now we can concentrate on D for the next 3-4 years. We've been doing this piece mail approach where we sprinkle a piece in here and there on offense and defense, and we haven't fixed ANYTHING in the last few years. If we go all-in on one side of the ball, fix it, and let that unit develop some cohesiveness and gel, I think we'd be much better position.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ February 21st, 2013, 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Huh

Quote:
Updated NFC North salary cap space
February, 21, 2013
FEB 21
9:55
AM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -cap-space
INDIANAPOLIS -- So a lot of you are asking about salary cap space during this period leading up to NFL free agency. Below are the most updated numbers I have.

I should once again emphasize that the salary cap is fluid and will remain so until the NFL announces an official cap spending limit for 2013. It can also change as teams continue to reconcile their books, renegotiate contracts and manage their rosters. In one case, I know there is one new contract missing from the calculation.

With all of those disclaimers, here is what I can pass along:

Chicago Bears: $8.176 million under the cap
Detroit Lions: $554,000 over the cap*
Green Bay Packers: $17.645 million under the cap
Minnesota Vikings: $12.820 million under the cap

*Does not include restructure of center Dominic Raiola

For those of you who are encouraged or discouraged by these numbers, remember the first rule of the NFL salary cap: Teams always have room to do the things they really want to do.

Author:  Pablo [ March 1st, 2013, 12:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ensiv.html

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Shortly after the season ended, Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told media members he wanted to re-sign Corey Hilliard. Mayhew accomplished that goal on Friday, inking the reserve offensive tackle to a two-year deal.

The news was originally reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter. Hilliard's agent, Blake Baratz, retweeted Schefter, confirming the deal.

Terms of the contract are still unknown.

Hilliard was signed by the Lions in 2009 off the Cleveland Browns practice squad. He started five games from 2010-11. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2012 with first-round draft pick Riley Reiff and Jason Fox ahead of him on the depth chart.

Hilliard is expected to compete for the right tackle job next season if the Lions are unable to re-sign Gosder Cherilus.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 1st, 2013, 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Pablo wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Shortly after the season ended, Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told media members he wanted to re-sign Corey Hilliard. Mayhew accomplished that goal on Friday, inking the reserve offensive tackle to a two-year deal.

The news was originally reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter. Hilliard's agent, Blake Baratz, retweeted Schefter, confirming the deal.

Terms of the contract are still unknown.

Hilliard was signed by the Lions in 2009 off the Cleveland Browns practice squad. He started five games from 2010-11. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2012 with first-round draft pick Riley Reiff and Jason Fox ahead of him on the depth chart.

Hilliard is expected to compete for the right tackle job next season if the Lions are unable to re-sign Gosder Cherilus.


I hate this, cause it makes it sound like Reiff is NOT being considered for the RT job, which means he's being looked at as our future LT. IMO that's a mistake, time will tell.

Reiff and Hilliard ='s a rough year for the offense, IMO.

Author:  Pablo [ March 1st, 2013, 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Shortly after the season ended, Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told media members he wanted to re-sign Corey Hilliard. Mayhew accomplished that goal on Friday, inking the reserve offensive tackle to a two-year deal.

The news was originally reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter. Hilliard's agent, Blake Baratz, retweeted Schefter, confirming the deal.

Terms of the contract are still unknown.

Hilliard was signed by the Lions in 2009 off the Cleveland Browns practice squad. He started five games from 2010-11. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2012 with first-round draft pick Riley Reiff and Jason Fox ahead of him on the depth chart.

Hilliard is expected to compete for the right tackle job next season if the Lions are unable to re-sign Gosder Cherilus.


I hate this, cause it makes it sound like Reiff is NOT being considered for the RT job, which means he's being looked at as our future LT. IMO that's a mistake, time will tell.

Reiff and Hilliard ='s a rough year for the offense, IMO.


I don't see Hilliard starting at RT, he wasn't active for a single game last year. He can back up both spots so is good for depth purposes. I think we are less likely to bring back Gos however.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 1st, 2013, 1:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Shortly after the season ended, Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told media members he wanted to re-sign Corey Hilliard. Mayhew accomplished that goal on Friday, inking the reserve offensive tackle to a two-year deal.

The news was originally reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter. Hilliard's agent, Blake Baratz, retweeted Schefter, confirming the deal.

Terms of the contract are still unknown.

Hilliard was signed by the Lions in 2009 off the Cleveland Browns practice squad. He started five games from 2010-11. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2012 with first-round draft pick Riley Reiff and Jason Fox ahead of him on the depth chart.

Hilliard is expected to compete for the right tackle job next season if the Lions are unable to re-sign Gosder Cherilus.


I hate this, cause it makes it sound like Reiff is NOT being considered for the RT job, which means he's being looked at as our future LT. IMO that's a mistake, time will tell.

Reiff and Hilliard ='s a rough year for the offense, IMO.


I don't see Hilliard starting at RT, he wasn't active for a single game last year. He can back up both spots so is good for depth purposes. I think we are less likely to bring back Gos however.


I really hope we're not looking at he and Fox as potential starters (start Fox at RT and have Hilliard for backup). I'd like to see Rookie LT, Reiff at RT, Fox and Hilliard backing up both OT spots, and Fox, Hilliard, and Nagy battling it out for RG, with deference given to Nagy with the concept in mind that he may take over for Dom in 2014 (or in 2013 if Dom gets injured).

Author:  rao [ March 1st, 2013, 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_re-sign_offensiv.html

Shortly after the season ended, Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told media members he wanted to re-sign Corey Hilliard. Mayhew accomplished that goal on Friday, inking the reserve offensive tackle to a two-year deal.

The news was originally reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter. Hilliard's agent, Blake Baratz, retweeted Schefter, confirming the deal.

Terms of the contract are still unknown.

Hilliard was signed by the Lions in 2009 off the Cleveland Browns practice squad. He started five games from 2010-11. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2012 with first-round draft pick Riley Reiff and Jason Fox ahead of him on the depth chart.

Hilliard is expected to compete for the right tackle job next season if the Lions are unable to re-sign Gosder Cherilus.


I hate this, cause it makes it sound like Reiff is NOT being considered for the RT job, which means he's being looked at as our future LT. IMO that's a mistake, time will tell.

Reiff and Hilliard ='s a rough year for the offense, IMO.


I don't see Hilliard starting at RT, he wasn't active for a single game last year. He can back up both spots so is good for depth purposes. I think we are less likely to bring back Gos however.


I really hope we're not looking at he and Fox as potential starters (start Fox at RT and have Hilliard for backup). I'd like to see Rookie LT, Reiff at RT, Fox and Hilliard backing up both OT spots, and Fox, Hilliard, and Nagy battling it out for RG, with deference given to Nagy with the concept in mind that he may take over for Dom in 2014 (or in 2013 if Dom gets injured).


I wouldn't overlook the fact Nagy could possibly start at center this year, he was starting at center for Dallas before his ankle was fractured. His injury issues with the ankle won't be as serious a problem since they can just put Raiola back in if he again starts having issues with the ankle.

Author:  inheritedlionsfan [ March 14th, 2013, 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Guess he's not getting much play in the FA market

http://twitpic.com/cbatys

Author:  TheRealWags [ March 15th, 2013, 9:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

PFT wrote:
Chris Houston: Lions’ distractions, chemistry problems are gone
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 15, 2013, 6:19 AM EDT

A year ago, the Lions were in the midst of an offseason in which they averaged an arrest a month, leading up to a season in which they were one of the NFL’s biggest disappointments. But one Lions player says he can already see a big difference.

Lions cornerback Chris Houston, who re-signed with the team this week, said the Lions had problems in the locker room a year ago, but those problems won’t be back with the team in 2013.

“I think we had a lot of distractions last year, on the offensive side of the ball, and like I said, there was so many free agents on the defensive side of the ball, and the chemistry wasn’t there,” Houston said. “But I think, upstairs, they’re doing a great job of getting guys in here who [are] about football, and good guys, mainly, in the locker room. Once you have that, and guys are on one accord, then it’s the sky’s the limit, and I don’t think that was the case last year.”

Houston didn’t say what the “distractions last year on the offensive side of the ball” were, but there’s not much doubt that he was talking about Titus Young, the receiver whose repeated misbehavior finally got him sent home for good late in the season. Houston also seemed to suggest that some of his teammates a year go were thinking more about their contracts than their assignments.

“One thing that I see with a lot of playoff teams, they’re more of a brotherhood,” Houston said. “I think, because of the free agents we had last year, there was so many that guys didn’t know where they was going to be, and the chemistry wasn’t there like it was the year before, when we went to the playoffs. I think, if we can get back to that chemistry where everybody’s on one accord on the defensive side of the ball, then it’ll be great things to come — like we made the playoffs and had all those interceptions the year before.”

The events of the first few days of free agency ensure that the Lions will look a lot different in 2013 than they looked in 2012. Lions fans can only hope the results will look more like 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -are-gone/

Page 24 of 47 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/