HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Killer's Korner
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14958
Page 34 of 47

Author:  The Legend [ September 26th, 2013, 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Quote:
I think the Lions will have to keep scouring the free agent/practice squad market for someone that can come in as a more all around end. Andre Fluellen is a good fill in for now, but he's more DT than DE all day long. Young has been forced into a starting role, but even I know that's not his true role on this team. I almost wish the Lions would look into getting Lawrence Jackson back. He wasn't a strong pass rusher, but he was the best DE the Lions had against the run.


i agree, fluellen is more of a DT than a DE, then again so was Jason Jones. Maybe they want him in there at the end on running downs? honestly, i thought fluellen played well enough to make the team as a DT in the preseason but Im not a big fan of this signing to have him be in the rotation at end. Maybe Devin Taylor lights it up and Fluellen slowly disapperas but I doubt Taylor provides a look much difft than Young.

Author:  rao [ September 26th, 2013, 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
I think the Lions will have to keep scouring the free agent/practice squad market for someone that can come in as a more all around end. Andre Fluellen is a good fill in for now, but he's more DT than DE all day long. Young has been forced into a starting role, but even I know that's not his true role on this team. I almost wish the Lions would look into getting Lawrence Jackson back. He wasn't a strong pass rusher, but he was the best DE the Lions had against the run.


i agree, fluellen is more of a DT than a DE, then again so was Jason Jones. Maybe they want him in there at the end on running downs? honestly, i thought fluellen played well enough to make the team as a DT in the preseason but Im not a big fan of this signing to have him be in the rotation at end. Maybe Devin Taylor lights it up and Fluellen slowly disapperas but I doubt Taylor provides a look much difft than Young.


Taylor had a few good plays in the preseason using his length to get his hands on runners even while engaged, so he may give a little better look against the run than Young does. I hope they manage to get enough production out of Taylor they don't need to use Flu, but at least Flu knows the system.

Author:  inheritedlionsfan [ October 8th, 2013, 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Quote:
Millen: I wanted DeMarcus Ware, got talked into Mike Williams
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 8, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT


In 2005, Lions President Matt Millen used the 10th overall pick in the NFL draft on Mike Williams, the third straight year Millen drafted a receiver with a Top 10 pick. With the 11th pick, the Cowboys drafted DeMarcus Ware.

Williams was a bust who is now out of the league, while Ware is one of the best pass rushers of his generation. So it’s not surprising that Millen says he should have drafted Ware. And in an interview with USA Today, Millen says he would have drafted Ware — except that the Lions’ scouting staff talked him out of it.

“DeMarcus Ware — it wasn’t even close. You put the tape on, you see,” Millen said of his own evaluation of the players in that draft.

So why did Millen pick Williams instead?

“I just capitulated. It’s nobody’s fault but my own,” Millen said.

Millen says he knows why his tenure running the Lions was a failure, but he doesn’t like to go into all the reasons because there’s not much more he can say.

“There was no success there, but anything you say about it sounds like an excuse, and I’m not about excuses. They’re reasons after the fact. What can you say? . . . You’re better off saying nothing. They’re my mistakes. . . . I didn’t pick the right guys,” Millen said.

Drafting Williams over Ware was a stark example of not picking the right guy.


Even today hearing anything from this moron boils my blood. You're the GM if you wanted Ware then you take Ware. This sure sounds like an excuse to me...

Author:  regularjoe12 [ October 8th, 2013, 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Wasn't BMW the guy he literally RAN to the podium to pick? Yeah....sure sounds like he got talked into that pick... :finger:

Author:  rao [ October 8th, 2013, 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

I believe him when he says he got talked into it. He was such a colossal buffoon it was probably Mel Kiper that talked him into it.

Author:  m2karateman [ October 8th, 2013, 11:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

regularjoe12 wrote:
Wasn't BMW the guy he literally RAN to the podium to pick? Yeah....sure sounds like he got talked into that pick... :finger:


You are exactly right. The Lions had 15 minutes to make the pick, and it was announced before even two minutes had passed. Reports were the the Lions had people on the phone interested in a trade as well.

For a guy who claims he's not about making excuses, he sure has made enough of them. His handiwork of terrible drafting goes beyond just the BMW pick. And then beyond the bad drafts, there were even worse FA signings and re-signings of our own players who should have never gotten another contract. His handling of the head coaching position was yet another phenomenal failure as well. If there was a way for him to screw up, he found it and enacted it.

There's a reason why he is known as the worst general manager EVER in professional sports. That covers all sports, for all time. And it's not even a close race.

Author:  Pablo [ October 9th, 2013, 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

That is a bunch of crap, there was no talk of Ware from Lions camp whatsoever. In fact, remember when Goose posted that years mock draft and had Ware going to the Cowboys the fans here laughed at him saying he was out of his mind.

Then again, Millen must have been talked into every draft pick cause they all sucked outside of CJ for the most part.

Author:  UK Lion [ October 9th, 2013, 12:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Talking of CJ, he tops this ranking of non-QB MVPs: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... p-rankings

Ranking mostly based on the drop off when the player in question is out.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ October 14th, 2013, 4:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Wow. We waived P. Edwards.

Author:  The Legend [ October 14th, 2013, 5:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Wow. We waived P. Edwards.


signed dorin dickerson, never heard of him but background check looks like he s a receiving type TE w some speed. only 6'1 225lbs though

Author:  rao [ October 14th, 2013, 5:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Wow. We waived P. Edwards.


signed dorin dickerson, never heard of him but background check looks like he s a receiving type TE w some speed. only 6'1 225lbs though


I wonder if they may put Scheffler on IR because this guy would be a perfect replacement for him and his concussions seem to be pretty serious now.

Author:  The Legend [ October 14th, 2013, 6:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Wow. We waived P. Edwards.


signed dorin dickerson, never heard of him but background check looks like he s a receiving type TE w some speed. only 6'1 225lbs though


I wonder if they may put Scheffler on IR because this guy would be a perfect replacement for him and his concussions seem to be pretty serious now.


there is some talk of that but maybe thats delayed until they re activate montell owens. they did just cut patrick edwards so unless they plan another signing scheffler will be observed a little longer but maybe getting close to going on IR and then possibly retirement?

in the preseason, the lions really tried to develop edwards. he was the no 1 option in the preseason games but it just hasnt worked out for him. he has good agility and speed to be a factor in the return game but just isnt reliable fielding the ball and they dont trust him there - necessitating a spot for Spurlock. then in recent weeks, durham kind of separated himself from edwards. durham has size and has figured out how to use it even if his routes are sloppy and his hands suspect. edwards isnt quite getting open and his hands arent good enough to make tough catches. durham has had more success than edwards and making matters worse for edwards, broyles is getting closer and closer to being able to play a full game and he s a similar profile to edwards. edwards is an easy cut bc he s not bringing much that isnt already there and isnt versatile enough to kick someone else off the roster.

Author:  njroar [ October 14th, 2013, 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Dickerson is a TE, but was drafted as a WR, so he fits that hybrid role.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ October 17th, 2013, 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

Edwards and Greenwood added back to PS. Miller released. :cry:

Author:  m2karateman [ October 17th, 2013, 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Killer's Korner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Edwards and Greenwood added back to PS. Miller released. :cry:


Yeah....I think I would have kept Miller. He seemed like he could play with some additional development. I see Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead, both small guys with quickness and receiving ability, doing some damage for their respective teams. I also think Miller was, by far, our best returner in the pre-season.

Page 34 of 47 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/