View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 27th, 2016, 4:36 am



Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 UDFA Signings 
Author Message
NFL Veteran

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1405
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post UDFA Signings
Lions UDFA's so far.

Chase Farris, G, Ohio State
Adam Fuehne, TE, Southern Illinois
Jay Lee, WR, Baylor

http://walterfootball.com/draft/UDFASigningsByTeam


April 30th, 2016, 7:23 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2005, 11:35 pm
Posts: 1157
Post Re: UDFA Signings
Jay Lee is a great UDFA signing might even make the roster.

_________________
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.


April 30th, 2016, 8:24 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1405
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: UDFA Signings
Have to hand it to Quinn and his staff, they sure aren't wasting any time on signing UDFA's.
List of Lions UDFA signings - http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/4/30 ... nt-tracker

Some intriguing possibility's there. Couple of TE's, Ebron could have some competition. Besides Jay Lee of Baylor they signed another WR I'm excited to see - Eastern Oregon WR Jace Billingsley killed his pro day Jace ran an electrifying 4.3 40 jumped 35″ in his vert bench pressed 225 pounds 24x


April 30th, 2016, 8:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 8432
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UDFA Signings
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... arris.html


May 6th, 2016, 7:22 pm
Profile
HC – Jim Caldwell

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4552
Location: WSU
Post Re: UDFA Signings
impressive undrafted rookie class as far as the measurables. should be some intriguing options to fill out the roster in case of injuries or to bring along for developmental purposes.


Chase Farris, G/T, Ohio State - He s getting high praise and the Lions gave him $20k but is raw and needs to work on technique. 6'5" 320lbs
Jay Lee, WR, Baylor - The 5th WR spot is open and Lee is a good blocker who can get jump ballsbut has questionable hands. 6"1, 215lb.
Adam Fuehne, TE, S. Illinois - 6'7" 260 lbs, not a speed threat or big time athlete but they need a TE who can block.
Andrew Zeller, G, Maryland - 2 year starter, 6'5" 320lb and tested well in workouts but can they keep him around?
Charles Washington, CB, Fresno State - 5"11" 192lbs, over 30 starts at Fresno, played CB and SS and has 4.4speed, 41 in vertical.
Adairius Barnes, CB, La Tech - 5'11" 180 with big time pro day results and had 10INTs on his career.
Quinshad Davis, WR, UNC - 6'4" 220 highly productive college WR with 4.6 timed speed about a year removed from broken tibia.
Deonte Gibson, DE, Northwestern - 6'1 260 but ran 4.6 and productive senior season rushing the passer, might fit better for 3-4 looks as OLB.
James Deloach, DT, Georgia - 6'2 274 a part time starter in college
Cole Wick, TE, Incarnate Word - 6'6 255, seems like he was more of a receiving TE but considered a good blocker at that level and has had good workouts.
Jace Billingsley, WR, Eastern Oregon - 5'9" with 4.3 speed and productive as a runner and receiver, could get return looks, Welker/Woodhead/Edelman type.
Ian Wells, CB, Ohio - 3 yr starter, 5'10 200 lbs runs 4.5 and Dave Birkett wrote a nice piece about his work ethic.


May 7th, 2016, 2:30 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: UDFA Signings
Jay Lee has a really great opportunity to make the roster. It's just unfortunate that he will work with a QB like Stafford if he makes the team. Stafford just puts way to much heat in to all his throws and it always accentuates the guys on the team that already have questionable hands. After all these years and never seeing any of the players with questionable hands ever really improve I'm pretty sure if Jay Lee makes the team we will hear all the same complaints Fuller gets on his hands.


May 7th, 2016, 12:43 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10695
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: UDFA Signings
Except fuller can't get open and when he runs anything other than a streak pattern, his route sucks

_________________
_____
Fire everyone; clean house!
Image


May 7th, 2016, 1:40 pm
Profile
HC – Jim Caldwell

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 4552
Location: WSU
Post Re: UDFA Signings
rao wrote:
Jay Lee has a really great opportunity to make the roster. It's just unfortunate that he will work with a QB like Stafford if he makes the team. Stafford just puts way to much heat in to all his throws and it always accentuates the guys on the team that already have questionable hands. After all these years and never seeing any of the players with questionable hands ever really improve I'm pretty sure if Jay Lee makes the team we will hear all the same complaints Fuller gets on his hands.


Are we going back and making excuses for players like Kris Durham, Fuller, Jeremy Ross, Reggie Bush, Fauria, Pettigrew, Patrick Edwards or what? There have been plays where Stafford or Shaun Hill dropped lofted deep balls right into their breadbaskets and they drop them, dropped screen passes, dropped timing routes - its a mixed bag really and I doubt any of them would find success anywhere else. A lot of the guys that have come through failed elsewhere, came to Detroit failed and then went on and failed in another spot or two before falling out of the league. Does anyone really believe Ebron's college QB had as big of a cannon as Stafford when Ebron was dropping passes at UNC? Jay Lee had trouble catching the ball in college and will likely have the same problem in the NFL and its a big reason he wasnt drafted not to mention he was only able to run a few simple routes but Im supposed to believe he ll fail out of the league bc of Stafford rather than his own limitations? I dont think so


May 8th, 2016, 10:21 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: UDFA Signings
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Jay Lee has a really great opportunity to make the roster. It's just unfortunate that he will work with a QB like Stafford if he makes the team. Stafford just puts way to much heat in to all his throws and it always accentuates the guys on the team that already have questionable hands. After all these years and never seeing any of the players with questionable hands ever really improve I'm pretty sure if Jay Lee makes the team we will hear all the same complaints Fuller gets on his hands.


Are we going back and making excuses for players like Kris Durham, Fuller, Jeremy Ross, Reggie Bush, Fauria, Pettigrew, Patrick Edwards or what? There have been plays where Stafford or Shaun Hill dropped lofted deep balls right into their breadbaskets and they drop them, dropped screen passes, dropped timing routes - its a mixed bag really and I doubt any of them would find success anywhere else. A lot of the guys that have come through failed elsewhere, came to Detroit failed and then went on and failed in another spot or two before falling out of the league. Does anyone really believe Ebron's college QB had as big of a cannon as Stafford when Ebron was dropping passes at UNC? Jay Lee had trouble catching the ball in college and will likely have the same problem in the NFL and its a big reason he wasnt drafted not to mention he was only able to run a few simple routes but Im supposed to believe he ll fail out of the league bc of Stafford rather than his own limitations? I dont think so


I never said it's Staffords fault that the guys don't improve their hands or drop balls. I said his throwing style makes the players catching problems more visible. I also never said Stafford would cause Jay Lee to fail, only that because of what we have seen from other similar prospects I see him getting the same criticism as a guy like Fuller does about his hands. Getting criticism does not equal failing. You added all that in yourself.


May 8th, 2016, 11:35 am
Profile
Off. Coordinator – Joe Lombardi
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4089
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: UDFA Signings
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Jay Lee has a really great opportunity to make the roster. It's just unfortunate that he will work with a QB like Stafford if he makes the team. Stafford just puts way to much heat in to all his throws and it always accentuates the guys on the team that already have questionable hands. After all these years and never seeing any of the players with questionable hands ever really improve I'm pretty sure if Jay Lee makes the team we will hear all the same complaints Fuller gets on his hands.


Are we going back and making excuses for players like Kris Durham, Fuller, Jeremy Ross, Reggie Bush, Fauria, Pettigrew, Patrick Edwards or what? There have been plays where Stafford or Shaun Hill dropped lofted deep balls right into their breadbaskets and they drop them, dropped screen passes, dropped timing routes - its a mixed bag really and I doubt any of them would find success anywhere else. A lot of the guys that have come through failed elsewhere, came to Detroit failed and then went on and failed in another spot or two before falling out of the league. Does anyone really believe Ebron's college QB had as big of a cannon as Stafford when Ebron was dropping passes at UNC? Jay Lee had trouble catching the ball in college and will likely have the same problem in the NFL and its a big reason he wasnt drafted not to mention he was only able to run a few simple routes but Im supposed to believe he ll fail out of the league bc of Stafford rather than his own limitations? I dont think so


I never said it's Staffords fault that the guys don't improve their hands or drop balls. I said his throwing style makes the players catching problems more visible. I also never said Stafford would cause Jay Lee to fail, only that because of what we have seen from other similar prospects I see him getting the same criticism as a guy like Fuller does about his hands. Getting criticism does not equal failing. You added all that in yourself.



All of your complaints above about Stafford never seemed to matter much to Sharpe, Freeman, etc, when Favre was throwing the ball. He had all of the same issues...to a T. There were a lot of players who had trouble fielding his fastball for sure, but GB had enough sense not to play those guys. We could learn a thing or two from their old front office....

For the record, Tate doesn't seem to have any issues with Stafford's fast ball, neither does Riddick.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


May 8th, 2016, 3:31 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: UDFA Signings
regularjoe12 wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Jay Lee has a really great opportunity to make the roster. It's just unfortunate that he will work with a QB like Stafford if he makes the team. Stafford just puts way to much heat in to all his throws and it always accentuates the guys on the team that already have questionable hands. After all these years and never seeing any of the players with questionable hands ever really improve I'm pretty sure if Jay Lee makes the team we will hear all the same complaints Fuller gets on his hands.


Are we going back and making excuses for players like Kris Durham, Fuller, Jeremy Ross, Reggie Bush, Fauria, Pettigrew, Patrick Edwards or what? There have been plays where Stafford or Shaun Hill dropped lofted deep balls right into their breadbaskets and they drop them, dropped screen passes, dropped timing routes - its a mixed bag really and I doubt any of them would find success anywhere else. A lot of the guys that have come through failed elsewhere, came to Detroit failed and then went on and failed in another spot or two before falling out of the league. Does anyone really believe Ebron's college QB had as big of a cannon as Stafford when Ebron was dropping passes at UNC? Jay Lee had trouble catching the ball in college and will likely have the same problem in the NFL and its a big reason he wasnt drafted not to mention he was only able to run a few simple routes but Im supposed to believe he ll fail out of the league bc of Stafford rather than his own limitations? I dont think so


I never said it's Staffords fault that the guys don't improve their hands or drop balls. I said his throwing style makes the players catching problems more visible. I also never said Stafford would cause Jay Lee to fail, only that because of what we have seen from other similar prospects I see him getting the same criticism as a guy like Fuller does about his hands. Getting criticism does not equal failing. You added all that in yourself.



All of your complaints above about Stafford never seemed to matter much to Sharpe, Freeman, etc, when Favre was throwing the ball. He had all of the same issues...to a T. There were a lot of players who had trouble fielding his fastball for sure, but GB had enough sense not to play those guys. We could learn a thing or two from their old front office....

For the record, Tate doesn't seem to have any issues with Stafford's fast ball, neither does Riddick.


Again I'm not saying they drop more because of Stafford's throwing. Their bad form and technique is why they drop passes but when the ball moves as fast as it does with Stafford's arm, they need to be even more on point with their hands. Stafford leaves very little room for error.

As for learning things from the GB front office, I don't think keeping guys that drop a lot will be an issue much longer. Quinn consistently talks about competition, so guys like Fuller probably won't be sticking around if they don't make improvements. Wouldn't surprise me to see a new TE next season if Ebron doesn't have a good year catching or at least big enough production to out weigh his drops. If Ebron wants to drop passes like Jimmy Graham he also has to score points like the Saints version of Graham.


May 8th, 2016, 4:46 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.