View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 3rd, 2016, 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CJ mulls retirement 
QB Coach

Post CJ mulls retirement
Quote:
Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement

Posted by Zac Jackson on January 6, 2016, 2:28 PM EST
AP
Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson might call it quits.

“Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future,” Johnson said in a statement released by the Lions Wednesday afternoon.

Johnson added that he expects to reach a decision “in the not-too-distant future.”

Johnson has 11,619 receiving yards and 83 touchdowns in his nine-year career. He turned 30 last September.

He was recently selected to his sixth straight Pro Bowl.

A former teammate who wished to remain anonymous told the Detroit Free Press “it’s just his time” and that he’s talked with Johnson about retirement.

January 6th, 2016, 3:57 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: CJ mulls retirement
Oh boy! Not again. Maybe if we get a good GM and/or coach, they can talk some sense into him. I don't think he'll retire though, but then again...sigh Barry.

January 6th, 2016, 4:08 pm
National Champion

DayDreamer wrote:
Oh boy! Not again. Maybe if we get a good GM and/or coach, they can talk some sense into him. I don't think he'll retire though, but then again...sigh Barry.

Let's hope so. Once you question your passion for something, though, it usually spells the end.

January 6th, 2016, 4:23 pm
Hall of Fame General Manager

Well, I guess WR just jumped in with DT and OT as a potential 1st round pick.

At 16 overall, we would be getting maybe the 2nd best WR in the draft.

January 6th, 2016, 4:28 pm
National Champion

BillySims wrote:
Well, I guess WR just jumped in with DT and OT as a potential 1st round pick.

At 16 overall, we would be getting maybe the 2nd best WR in the draft.

Laquon Treadwell

January 6th, 2016, 4:46 pm
QB Coach

It's all speculation, since we have zero idea if the timing is trying to justify the $24 million dollar cap number or start the discussion of trade partners. But from a financial standpoint, IF he does retire, it frees up $11.1 million in cap space with the possibility of $3.9 million more in 2017 if they recoup the bonus money due him.

So for whoever is the GM, prior to any other cuts, the Lions would start with $31+ million with the possibility of cutting some to have $40+ million in cap space before the start of FA and the draft, even with the dead money from the restructures. So whoever takes over starts with the team in a good financial outlook going forward.

January 6th, 2016, 4:54 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

:crybaby:

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

January 6th, 2016, 5:18 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

If I were CJ I would retire. He's already made more money than most players ever see and his knees are wrecked. With his size he should retire now in hopes he will be able to walk into old age without a cane.

January 6th, 2016, 10:41 pm
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
:crybaby:

This. I saw the article in between classes today and I was ready to bawl. If he leaves I don't know how much more sorrow I can take from this team. 2 more years Calvin!

January 6th, 2016, 10:42 pm
HC – Jim Caldwell

could be a genius negotiating tactic. flip the script on anyone who was seriously considering cutting CJ for cap savings. now those people are thinking wholly sh*t, he just called out our bluff - we were just going to see if he would take $3-4m less but still keep him if he wasnt.

if he s serious and he does retire at least he did it at the right time and not in a manner that would leave the team in shambles like the last Lions great who in my mind can never be criticized enough for what he did.

if Calvin Johnson keeps playing i think he at least has enough in the tank for another 2 years maybe more depending on the role but his body does seem to have taken a pounding and he s been injury prone in the sense that he seems to always have the nagging types of sprains and soft tissue injuries that slow someone down during the course of the season. his effectiveness in the setting of continuous injury is something thats overlooked.

looking back at his career, i would consider him in the same class as terrel owens and randy moss as being one of the most impressive physical specimens in NFL history but even with that said I am not sure he s a lock for the hall of fame if he indeed retires at this point in his career. his first few years were marred by a relatively disappointing rookie year, 0-16 and then an oft-injured stafford. there was a great peak from 2011-13 but the Lions failed to progress after an explosive start to 2011 and now the last two years have seen his production drop down from the top 5 at the position.

anyway, i would love to see him play some more but am happy he s giving the lions a chance if he does hang it up. will the lions be that much worse in 2016 if they pursue alshon jeffery and sign him using Calvin Johnson s cap space? or maybe they could go after a pairing like Marvin Jones and someone like Rishard Matthews and spread the wealth a little bit more.

January 7th, 2016, 12:02 am
Junior Varsity

The Legend wrote:
could be a genius negotiating tactic. flip the script on anyone who was seriously considering cutting CJ for cap savings. now those people are thinking wholly sh*t, he just called out our bluff - we were just going to see if he would take $3-4m less but still keep him if he wasnt.

^ this is what I hope. Not crazy about drafting a WR in the first round and beyond Alshon or maybe Aiken or Floyd there are not any free agents out there I would be interested in pursuing. The times, they are a changing.

January 7th, 2016, 10:23 am
QB Coach

I don't think it has anything to do with negotiating. Why? Because CJ hasn't ever taken this route with anything his entire career. He's always spoke his mind and been truthful about it. We've had the Suh's and the like who run their mouths or say the opposite of what they mean to appease, but that's never been Calvin. I honestly think it's not about the money or Caldwell. I think he's actually banged up and thinking of his health. Plus, if it were negotiating, why would it be released by the Lions, and not his agent? I think he's sincerely thinking about walking away from the game. And It'd be a damn shame. He might not be Megatron anymore, but he's still one of the best in the game right now.

January 7th, 2016, 12:22 pm
RIP Killer

Really, how much bigger of a contract can Calvin want? He's already one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL. I don't think he's fishing for more money. I think he wants to be healthy in the long run. He's already raked in over $100M in his career. Without any signs of a championship in the near future, he's probably ready to just say 'enough'.

Boy, this makes that Ebron over Beckham pick look REALLY bad now.

January 7th, 2016, 1:25 pm
3rd Round Selection

Johnson is not retiring! He is just playing the 'retirement card' - he's not first and won't be the last player to do it even Nick Lidstrom played the 'retirement card' for several seasons with Red Wings.

The last couple weeks all the talk has been about how Johnson will either have to take a pay cut or be released. Johnson is playing the 'retirement card' is nothing more than him saying "I'm not going to be low-balled I would rather retire first" or maybe he really just wants to go play for a winner - I'm sure the Patriots would find a way to fit him in under the cap.

Johnson has never had a serious injury or a history concussions and I only remember him having one surgery on his knee last off season and it wasn't even anything major. In other words he's still a pretty healthy 30 year old receiver who is capable of big games especially when playing a bad defense and let's face it half the defenses in the league are bad.

So you can talk about all the money he has made and all the wear and tear on his body and all the reason to retire, but the bottom line is if Johnson never plays another game he won't make it into Canton at this point he's not even close. He will do in history as the Terrell Davis of wide receivers.

January 8th, 2016, 12:32 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Leo wrote:
Johnson is not retiring! He is just playing the 'retirement card' - he's not first and won't be the last player to do it even Nick Lidstrom played the 'retirement card' for several seasons with Red Wings.

The last couple weeks all the talk has been about how Johnson will either have to take a pay cut or be released. Johnson is playing the 'retirement card' is nothing more than him saying "I'm not going to be low-balled I would rather retire first" or maybe he really just wants to go play for a winner - I'm sure the Patriots would find a way to fit him in under the cap.

Johnson has never had a serious injury or a history concussions and I only remember him having one surgery on his knee last off season and it wasn't even anything major. In other words he's still a pretty healthy 30 year old receiver who is capable of big games especially when playing a bad defense and let's face it half the defenses in the league are bad.

So you can talk about all the money he has made and all the wear and tear on his body and all the reason to retire, but the bottom line is if Johnson never plays another game he won't make it into Canton at this point he's not even close. He will do in history as the Terrell Davis of wide receivers.

The problem with CJ's knees aren't major injuries it's the wear and tear they have taken. He can barley jump anymore and had the same knee problem for 3 years before he had surgery. Even now he sits out an extra day every week to rest his knee. He's got good health reason to walk away.

He may not even have the drive to go after the HoF. He's never tried to leave the Lions, so winning doesn't seem to be a big need and if winning isn't I doubt the HoF is a big thing either.

I think he is truly looking at retirement because he just ended the season and at 30 his body is feeling the season now more than it ever did. IMO once the off season comes around and he's had time to rest he'll probably give it another year, but at this point unless he's traded to a top tier team he really has nothing to play for outside of personal achievements and his teammates.

January 8th, 2016, 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next