View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 31st, 2016, 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rate the draft 
NFL Veteran

Post Rate the draft
1. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State - B - One of the top tackles in the draft.

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama - A - Arguably the top DT in the draft.

3. Graham Glasgow, OC, Michigan - C+ - I get the need for a Center, but there were better values I thought.

4. Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah - B - Fills the need a SS, and is a big time hitter.

5. Joe Dahl, OT, Washington State - B - He's probably a Guard and has the versatility to play all along the front, good value in the 5th.

5. Antwoine Williams, LB, Georgia Southern - B - LB with great size and good speed, is a tackling machine. Great potential.

6. Jake Rudock, QB, Michigan - D - Camp arm I guess. Thought there were better QB's still there.

6. Anthony Zettel, DL, Penn State - A - Great value at this point, is versatile to play in and out.

6. Jimmy Landes, LS, Baylor - E - Seems like a waste to me. Isn't this a position that you sign after the draft?

7. Dwayne Washington, RB, Washington - D - Camp RB?

I guess overall I'd give a B- for Quinns first draft. If any of the late rounders stick and/or contribute the grade goes up.

April 30th, 2016, 6:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Rate the draft
liontrax wrote:
1. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State - hate it

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama - hate it

3. Graham Glasgow, OC, Michigan - hate it

4. Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah - hate it

5. Joe Dahl, OT, Washington State - hate it

5. Antwoine Williams, LB, Georgia Southern - hate it

6. Jake Rudock, QB, Michigan - hate it

6. Anthony Zettel, DL, Penn State - hate it

6. Jimmy Landes, LS, Baylor - hate it

7. Dwayne Washington, RB, Washington - hate it

I guess overall I'd give a B- for Quinns first draft. If any of the late rounders stick and/or contribute the grade goes up.

Trying the reverse psychology thing here.

Thought it was a decent draft. Nothing flashy, but flashy is overrated. More than anything else I didn't see the wrong headed approach of seeking to 'help' the quarterback by going after a pass catcher. That alone causes me to grade this out at a solid 'B'

April 30th, 2016, 7:07 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I thought it was a solid draft, up until the 5th round, the last few picks look like position coaches were given free reign. Be that as it may, I'd give this a rock solid B+, would've been A if we just got some good players like Burbridge in the 6th.

April 30th, 2016, 7:31 pm
HC – Jim Caldwell

1. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State -

Fills a considerable need that cannot be denied. The Lions lost a few games bc the OL was clowning around particularly this position. For one reason or another they struck out on this position in free agency. Ideally I would have liked to see them grab an impact defender here as that was the strength of this draft and there were more athletic tackles that would be available to them later on. Regardless I understand the pick and he makes them considerably better than before the draft.

B

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama - A tremendous value and a guy that may have been under consideration with there first pick. He has explosive power with his initial hand punch and can be really disruptive as well as clog up the middle. He s a better DT in Rd 2 than what the Lions could have drafted in Rd 1 last year. I had him projected to go the Vikings and as someone that would be a pain in our rears for years.

A

3. Graham Glasgow, OC, Michigan -

I like him but am not sure he was a good value here. Can he truly be an upgrade for Swanson or an alternative to Laken Tomlinson? I have my doubts and the alcohol history is serious. He improves the depth and creates competition/motivation for the players ahead of him which again was badly needed for years. I dont think Quinn will sit around with OLman he s not happy for years like his predecessors and thats a philosophy I can appreciate, even if those dividends wont be available immediately.

C

4. Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah -

He is a true strong safety and a big hitter who covers plenty of ground both in run support and zone coverage. They have to be careful that he s not caught covering good receivers by himself. I usually tend to favor safeties that are rated higher in coverage than run support but with two smaller corners in Lawson and Diggs and both Whitehead and Levy not being downhill players vs the run - I can see why they would go with Killebrew. He should be in the running to start soon.

A

5. Joe Dahl, OT, Washington State -

I really like this player. Get a player like this every other year and probably dont have to be forced into taking RT only guys in Rd 1. If they took Killebrew in Rd 3, Dahl in Rd 4, and Glasgow here it would have probably looked better from a value standpoint.

A

5. Antwoine Williams, LB, Georgia Southern -

Dont know much about him so hard to truly give a grade. Disappointed they didnt show any creativity in going after a thumper RB that they needed that went one spot before this. Looks like a guy that could help them on special teams and provides depth at a position where there was none. Good chance to make the team.

C

6. Jake Rudock, QB, Michigan -

Upside seems limited but if you want an intelligent, hardworking backup who will always be mentally ready he is the guy. I would tend to look for someone with more upside whether its arm talent or athleticism and if it doesnt come along to starter material you hope your coaches have made him into at least a backup. I think Rudock would have made more sense if the cap issues made having a veteran backup difficult but I do like him and think he made a lot of progress last year. I question the strategy more than the player.

C

6. Anthony Zettel, DL, Penn State -

A player I thought would go earlier. I believe he s good value and should make the team and unless some veterans at DE come loose in June he ll probably play a fair amount.

A

6. Jimmy Landes, LS, Baylor -

He could be a helluva longsnapper but its still a questionable pick to say the least bc this isnt how teams typically acquire longsnappers and having a great longsnapper doesnt really increase the chances of winning over one who is simply adequate or average. The Lions should have grabbed Darius Jackson here, a runner with power, speed and upside only available bc he played at one of the worst football schools in the country and also one who they were heavily involved in pre-draft. Would ve lessened the blow from missing on Howard.

F

7. Dwayne Washington, RB, Washington -

Size and speed are intriguing but the negatives (ball security, injuries, lack of vision) probably will outweigh that. Besides Elliot going in Rd 1, good RBs went much later than expected in this draft but the Lions missed out on upgrading an important position where their RBs have major flaws and none are an everydown runner.

C

Overall - I think Quinn really helped the Lions in the short term and longterm along both lines and then added quite a bit of depth throughout the roster with players who have a fair chance to make the roster. I think he accomplished his goals as he said he really needed to improve "the middle class of the roster." In some ways he was hamstrung by the previous regime and holes left on the roster but he also was hamstrung by his own inactivity in free agency and was forced into drafting for need often. I dont think he maximized the amount of talent that he was able to get out of this draft. In some places I wished Martin Mayhew was at his side and told him to trade up to get Jordan Howard or in other places I wish he went more Belichik and acquired some future picks. In other spots I think he passed on defenders to primarily help the OL. IMO the OL needed some veteran help but in this draft they got younger and missed out on potentially better defenders to do it. I think he could have had a better draft if he did more in free agency. I d give his offseason as a whole a D but the draft haul overall a B, if I was grading for value or what I think he could have come away with I d give him a C.

B

May 1st, 2016, 11:51 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

1. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State: A
2. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama: A
3. Graham Glasgow, OC, Michigan: B+
4. Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah: B+
5. Joe Dahl, OT, Washington State: B+.
5. Antwoine Williams, LB, Georgia Southern: B+

Collected work to this point: A or A+. Major steps in improving Offense and Defense.

6. Jake Rudock, QB, Michigan: B-
6. Anthony Zettel, DL, Penn State: B+

Still doing okay. I kind of get Jake Rudock. Quinn wanted his QB in the 6th, his Tom Brady from U/M. Zettel adds more quality depth to a Dline in need of only a little help. Nice.

6. Jimmy Landes, LS, Baylor: F - Negative grade. Damaged his whole draft.
7. Dwayne Washington, RB, Washington: C-

Would have been in better shape if he traded his 6th and 7th rounders this year for 6th and 7th rounders next year. Quinn was obviously tired at this point and not thinking clearly.

May 1st, 2016, 12:15 pm
National Champion

B+

I won't rate the players, though I did like many of the names chosen prior to rd 6. I can't think of any of them that I really dislike. I might have preferred Lawson in rd 1 and an OT later, but Lawson has injury issues. If Decker is as good as they seem to think things will be fine. The DE I liked were gone by the Lions rd2 pick. As always, time will tell on these guys. None of them seemed out of bounds and we have the typical hope as normal in the post draft days.

I will rate the strategy. I like it so far. I have been wanting drafts like this for a bit now, with more focus on talented linemen in the middle and less obsession with pass catchers. I didn't care for the long snapper in rd 6 and the fumbling RB at the end. Someone else pointed out the Clemson WR who was there in rd 7. I was looking perhaps for that or Burbridge late. 3 talented OL should change the depth in that group for years to come. FA like Waddle should make the team when you find them and stick around, but your entire set of backups should not be from that pool of guys.

Quinn seems today that he is looking for need far more than Mayhew did. The one thing he didn't do was pick up a young solid RB.

May 1st, 2016, 2:16 pm
NFL Veteran

jrd66 wrote:
B+

I won't rate the players, though I did like many of the names chosen prior to rd 6. I can't think of any of them that I really dislike. I might have preferred Lawson in rd 1 and an OT later, but Lawson has injury issues. If Decker is as good as they seem to think things will be fine. The DE I liked were gone by the Lions rd2 pick. As always, time will tell on these guys. None of them seemed out of bounds and we have the typical hope as normal in the post draft days.

I will rate the strategy. I like it so far. I have been wanting drafts like this for a bit now, with more focus on talented linemen in the middle and less obsession with pass catchers. I didn't care for the long snapper in rd 6 and the fumbling RB at the end. Someone else pointed out the Clemson WR who was there in rd 7. I was looking perhaps for that or Burbridge late. 3 talented OL should change the depth in that group for years to come. FA like Waddle should make the team when you find them and stick around, but your entire set of backups should not be from that pool of guys.

Quinn seems today that he is looking for need far more than Mayhew did. The one thing he didn't do was pick up a young solid RB.

We have a nice stable of RB's going into next season, so no reason to sweat any deficiency. Next years draft is fully loaded at RB. Better to wait till 2017 to take a stud back.

May 1st, 2016, 3:51 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

The Clemson kid had a torn ACL in 2013 and had to have it repaired again in 2014. He was projected to go in the 4th or something so I have to assume teams are worried about his knee since he wasn't taken until the 7th round. He ran good times and looks healthy, but maybe structurally the knee doesn't look right or I could be way off base and it's just something we will never hear about.

May 1st, 2016, 6:50 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

To expand on my grade a bit...

My grade has little to do with the individual players, but rather with the tone of the draft. IMO, Mayhew, and Millen before him, drafted to improve positions, particularly at the 'skill' positions, and let them carry the team. Quinn pretty much said we are upgrading the team with this draft. I say that because coupled with free agency he put a heavy emphasis on the Lines. The picks were not just to fill holes, but to foster competition and to create quality depth. IMO, Quinn could not have done better to improve the team than by drafting the way he did. If you don't have good lines you don't have a good team and you build your foundation first.

We can quibble about the particular players selected, but for me this draft said we are done just getting by focusing on skilled position and scrambling to plug holes. It tells me there is a plan behind the moves and not just a reaction to the current circumstance.

Reiff is a free agent next season and we have a potential replacement already drafted and soon to develop. We have greater depth at center and guard. We have added depth at DT with most of the FA DT on short term contracts. We have someone to develop behind Dan O. who may provide longer term possibilities. And we got the head scratcher; a long snapper.

Most people seem to be having trouble with this pick, but not me. Muhlbach is very long in the tooth for an NFL player, he is returning on a one year contract and quality long snappers are not that easy to come by. It may seem extravagant, but I don't see it that way. Special teams are important and I would just as soon draft the player I want with a late round pick than have him chose to go elsewhere as an UDFA leaving me scrambling. Again, I see the signs of an actual plan to build and maintain the team. :shock:

May 1st, 2016, 8:23 pm
Team MVP

On paper, I love the draft. But I had to take a year off from my normal crazy time consuming Draft preparation so I dont know as much about this class as I normally would, so I cant give true grades. But the little I do know and have seen from these players, I give an overall B or B+.

May 1st, 2016, 9:00 pm
Off. Coordinator – Joe Lombardi

We're getting a little national media love for our draft on NFL.COM. Adam Shein list us as one of the top ten teams that improved through the draft. Normally I can't stand their writers, but I do like and respect Shein.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oved-teams

May 2nd, 2016, 2:25 pm
HC – Jim Caldwell

regularjoe12 wrote:
We're getting a little national media love for our draft on NFL.COM. Adam Shein list us as one of the top ten teams that improved through the draft. Normally I can't stand their writers, but I do like and respect Shein.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oved-teams

what??? You like Shein? I ve never heard anyone say that...he ruined Inside the NFL for me this past year used to me among my favorite shows

May 2nd, 2016, 5:45 pm
RIP Killer

His voice is annoying AF. Can't stand listening to him, although I do think he has some decent stuff to offer

May 2nd, 2016, 8:16 pm
RIP Killer

1. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State - C+ - Not a big fan of this pick. Too soon to take a player I feel will be a pedestrian LT, or good RT in the league

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama - A- - Definitely a value pick, and the run stopping heir apparent to Ngata. Not a pass rusher though.

3. Graham Glasgow, OC, Michigan - C- - I like the versatility, but other needs should have been addressed here and this was not a value pick

4. Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah - B- - Big hitter, but will it cost the team in fines and suspensions? Will he be another Delmas?

5. Joe Dahl, OT, Washington State - A - Not a need, but incredible value for a versatile o-lineman. My favorite pick of this draft.

5. Antwoine Williams, LB, Georgia Southern - C - Not sure about this one. Excellent size, but lacks ideal footspeed.

6. Jake Rudock, QB, Michigan - D - I like the Lions getting a QB, but not here. I'd have preferred to see a WR to compete with Fuller here.

6. Anthony Zettel, DL, Penn State - B+ - He'll play DE, and the Lions needed to get someone at that spot. He's a solid value here, and versatile.

6. Jimmy Landes, LS, Baylor - E - I don't want to downplay the importance of the position, but this was just flat out dumb.

7. Dwayne Washington, RB, Washington - D- - Not a fan of this pick. Better players on the board than a longstriding RB with fumbling issues.

I'll give Quinn a C+ overall. Not a terrible haul of players, to say the least. But I feel we needed to come away with another big receiver and a good pass rusher in this draft to make it special. Struck out on both.

May 2nd, 2016, 9:44 pm
NFL Veteran

I know on draft day after the Lions had selected their 3rd O-linemen in their first five picks, I'm scratching my head going WTF? Especially after adding a tackle, two guards, and a center in what? The last 5 drafts? But, this madness just might turn out to be brilliance. The quality depth and potential performance could turnout to be the most dominate offensive line the Lions have ever had. At the very least I believe this draft sends a message to the incumbents that complacency won't be tolerated, and you can always be replaced.

May 2nd, 2016, 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next