View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 NFC Playoff Race 
RIP Killer

Post NFC Playoff Race
Four divisions, six potential playoff teams...

Current Playoff Seedings:

1. Arizona 8-1
2. Detroit 7-2
3. Philly 6-2
4. New Orleans 4-5
5. Dallas 7-3
6. Seattle 6-3
----------------
7. Green Bay 6-3
8. San Fran 5-4

Minnesota is the only other team with at least 4 wins (4-5), so you can pretty much rule the rest of teams out.

Now look at the division leaders...

Arizona is the top seed, but have lost Palmer - perhaps for the season - just in time for the Lions with the top seed on the line. The Lions run of luck continues now facing the Drew Stanton lead Cards...

Philly gives Mark Sanchez his first start of the season tonight, uh oh! Two of the top three seeds have lost their QBs for probably a decent amount of time.

New Orleans has looked shaky all season, good thing their division is so bad a sub .500 record could put them in. They will also likely be on the road after the wild card weekend if they win that game and the Saints don't fare well outside of NO.

As for the rest of the teams, Tony Romo is an injury waiting to happen in Dallas and they still have to face Philly twice. A couple wins by either team will really hurt the other one. Seattle and San Fran still have to play each other twice as well and both have looked vulnerable this season. I'm having a hard time believing that we will get 3 playoff teams from the NFC West.

And then there is the Packers. Now, the scary thing is the Lion have only a one-game lead over the Pack, still have to play them in Green Bay and they are currently sitting out of the playoffs looking in.

There is a lot of uncertainty in the NFC this year, if the Lions ever want to make a run this could be the time to go all in...

November 10th, 2014, 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: NFC Playoff Race
I might be crazy for saying this, but I think at this point, anything less than the NFC championship game is a failure.

We all know Stanton isn't an NFL QB. Go crush the Cardinals on the road. Go into Greenbay sitting at 12-3.

November 10th, 2014, 11:23 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Thanks for posting this. Looking at the schedule, I think both us and G.B. could be 10-5 going into that last game. they have a pretty easy second half schedule. winning the division is a must for us and with our guns getting healthier, we have a legitimate shot at the #1 seed if we handle business against AZ and Drew Stanton. The biggest threat in the whole conference is G.B. I really hope that they miss the playoffs completey

November 10th, 2014, 11:30 am

Hope all you want. If Rodgers is upright then GB is making the playoffs. Have you watched him the last few games.

November 10th, 2014, 1:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

What I don't get is how we held them to 7 points when Rodgers was healthy. They're out destroying other teams. Is our D really that good? I agree we have to win the division if we want a shot at advancing.

November 10th, 2014, 6:35 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
What I don't get is how we held them to 7 points when Rodgers was healthy. They're out destroying other teams. Is our D really that good? I agree we have to win the division if we want a shot at advancing.

Ive been REEEAAAAALLLLLLYYY hesistant to say this but....yeah, I think our D is really that good! through week 10 we are STILL #1 in yards and points. last I checked we're the only team in the NFL with an average yards against under 300 per game (we did it again to Miami).

November 10th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The D is that good. There's only a few schematical changes Austin made, but they've been huge. Then add the few adjustments made for teams and Austin's getting the talent out of the potential that has always been there. The D-line has been great from top to bottom. The LB's are playing fast and physical and even the secondary, with as many injuries as there were early, is playing great. They might give up catches, but there's very little YAC, which has always killed them in the back end in years past.

The line has been great against the run, but I think the little adjustments for the Miami game were huge. The ends didn't speed rush past the tackles, specifically keeping the ends contained so Tannehill couldn't start rushing, which is what's made him so dangerous this season. It's the team specific things that keep me optimistic going forward. We didn't get these from Gunther & Schwartz.

Looking ahead, luckily there's tape of Stanton from this season in the Arizona offense, so it won't be as much of a surprise like what happened to the Rams who were beating the Cards having game planned for Palmer and then the more mobile Stanton just stumped em. Patriots, I think our defense does exactly what Brady hates and that's get pressure up the middle. If the defense continues to hold opposing offenses to around 200 yards passing and sub 100 yards rushing, our offense doesn't need to be firing on all cyclinders, but when it does, watch out.

November 10th, 2014, 11:23 pm

the biggest thing about the D is they are playing for the coaching staff and for each other. we havent seen this from the lions since 2011 when KVB and Schwartz had them hustling and swarming to the ball. plays like the swarming gang tackle of charles clay who was refusing to go down and got inside the 5 as well as the hustle play by ihedigbo to knock away the potential td on 3rd and goal are effort plays that past iterations of the lions wouldnt make and allow to go for scores.

November 10th, 2014, 11:52 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

http://www.nfl.com/videos/mayocks-slant/0ap3000000426343/Mayock-s-Slant-Detroit-Lions-defense

Here is a good video from Mike Mayock talking briefly about the differences between the '13 Lions Defense and the '14. I especially love the film clip talking about Ihedigbo's hustle. That was unbelievable. I LOVE what this defense is doing.

November 11th, 2014, 12:12 am

DJ-B wrote:
Hope all you want. If Rodgers is upright then GB is making the playoffs. Have you watched him the last few games.

Dude try not to gag on it too hard

November 13th, 2014, 4:51 pm
RIP Killer

Bringing up injuries to other teams quarterbacks as a reason why the Lions will win games and get into the playoffs scares me. Remember last year?
"Since Chicago and Green Bay don't have their starters behind center for much of the season, Detroit is a shoe-in for the playoffs."

Yeah, that turned out real good.

November 14th, 2014, 2:12 pm

m2karateman wrote:
Bringing up injuries to other teams quarterbacks as a reason why the Lions will win games and get into the playoffs scares me. Remember last year?
"Since Chicago and Green Bay don't have their starters behind center for much of the season, Detroit is a shoe-in for the playoffs."

Yeah, that turned out real good.

hahah, good point but hopefully more about how badly schwartz dropped the ball than what this years team will do

November 14th, 2014, 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]