View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Why are we continually unable to stop screens? 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Why are we continually unable to stop screens?
It seems like every single week, no matter who we play, the defense can't stop screens, and by stop I mean hold them under 4-5 yards. Yet when we attempt them, they're usually incomplete or 2 yard gains at most.

Seattle, for example, would roast the defense with their screens, read option, and Lynch.

December 15th, 2014, 12:19 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Why are we continually unable to stop screens?
Shotty wrote:
It seems like every single week, no matter who we play, the defense can't stop screens, and by stop I mean hold them under 4-5 yards. Yet when we attempt them, they're usually incomplete or 2 yard gains at most.

Seattle, for example, would roast the defense with their screens, read option, and Lynch.

You are crazy. Out OLB's and CB's have been fantastic at stopping screens this year!!! I dont recall when the last time a WR screen worked against us at all...

December 15th, 2014, 12:23 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:

You are crazy. Out OLB's and CB's have been fantastic at stopping screens this year!!! I dont recall when the last time a WR screen worked against us at all...

On both of Minnesota's TD drives they continually picked up 3-4, sometimes 5-6 yards on screens and that opened up the middle of the field for big gains. New England did them effortlessly. Arizona had some nice gains with them as well.

We adjust well, but it still seems like we're caught off guard every game by them.

December 15th, 2014, 6:04 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:

Piss poor tackling is sometimes the reason. Did you see some of the terrible missed tackles yesterday? Not just on screens either. Ihedigbo must have taken lessons from Delmas in how to tackle.....NOT! On one play he kept his arms in a just lowered his shoulder, and the receiver just bounced off of him and gained another 8 yards or so.

These guys lift weights basically for a living, and they CHOOSE to not use their arms?! After displays like that I'd be forcing these guys to tackle Oak trees.

December 15th, 2014, 7:16 pm

m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Piss poor tackling is sometimes the reason. Did you see some of the terrible missed tackles yesterday? Not just on screens either. Ihedigbo must have taken lessons from Delmas in how to tackle.....NOT! On one play he kept his arms in a just lowered his shoulder, and the receiver just bounced off of him and gained another 8 yards or so.

These guys lift weights basically for a living, and they CHOOSE to not use their arms?! After displays like that I'd be forcing these guys to tackle Oak trees.

Ihedigbo has had a hard time finishing the tackles the past few weeks but unlike Delmas he usually makes contact instead of completely whiffing, haha. Whitehead and Bynes have had trouble recognizing plays develop at times and Slay has gotten trucked by blocks and bigger receivers a few times on the WR screens. Overall I wouldnt say they are below average against these plays as a group. Probably above average but this defense behind the front four can get outmuscled at times and I think Minnesota tried to take that approach.

December 15th, 2014, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

ansah missed a huge TE screen tackle for loss by stupidly diving and the TE got close to the first, broke 2 more horrid attempts, and got the first down plus about 5 yards. That was on 3rd down and resulted in a TD.

December 15th, 2014, 8:27 pm

conversion02 wrote:
ansah missed a huge TE screen tackle for loss by stupidly diving and the TE got close to the first, broke 2 more horrid attempts, and got the first down plus about 5 yards. That was on 3rd down and resulted in a TD.

that was a bad one, not sure he s ever learned how to properly form tackle in the open field but the next 2 guys missing was inexcusable

December 15th, 2014, 9:29 pm
RIP Killer

It was a shame, because ansah had him played perfectly.

Also, matt Asiata was absolutely trucking people through the first half.

December 15th, 2014, 9:49 pm

conversion02 wrote:
It was a shame, because ansah had him played perfectly.

Also, matt Asiata was absolutely trucking people through the first half.

yeah i gained a lot of respect for Asiata's game, especially when he tackled quinn to stop the INT return from being a td

lions were getting outmuscled there for for a while

December 15th, 2014, 9:52 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

This week it was poor tackling, but overall it's the success of the defense that has forced teams to go to the screen game. The screen game is an extension on the running game primarily and because we take away the run game of most teams, and deep throws allow our front 4 to get pressure, they only have the intermediate passing game and screen game available to them. That's usually a good thing because it allows the defense to focus on that because they know it's coming. The downside in this game as well as a few others this season, is when the tackling is poor, those short plays end up going for more than they should.

Screens attack the one big weakness in the Lion's defense. Quick pace and the quick passing game. It tires the defense down and allows them to be worn down over a game. Thankfully not many teams aren't able to run that type of offense for a whole game, so it hasn't hurt them much. You saw it primarily in the NE game, but you saw it sporadically in other games. No defense is perfect, so it's expected for a team to be able to do something, sometimes against it. Sunday's problem was missed tackles, not the defense.

December 16th, 2014, 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]