View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 7th, 2016, 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lions trade Jeremy Kerley to 49ers. 
William Clay Ford Jr.

Post Lions trade Jeremy Kerley to 49ers.
Get OG Brandon Thomas in return.

August 28th, 2016, 11:11 pm
Position Coach

Post Re: Lions trade Jeremy Kerley to 49ers.
Thomas couldn't do anything in SF, but decent move to just look at the guy for a week maybe he'll surprise them. Kerley was on his way out, so most likely scenario is they got nothing for nothing.

August 29th, 2016, 8:17 am
William Clay Ford Jr.

Did we get a conditional draft pick in this deal?

I am just wondering because Kerley has been the 49ers leading WR this year.

November 28th, 2016, 12:34 am
William Clay Ford Jr.

I just did a search, none the articles I found said anything about a conditional pick. But, I could swear I read that we could get a pick, but, it wasn't likely to happen, back when the trade happened.

November 28th, 2016, 12:41 am
Team MVP

Aren't conditional picks only awarded for players lost in free agency? My understanding is that the only way a conditional pick is involved in a trade is if that is the compensation involved in the trade. For example, the Patriots traded Jamie Collins to the Browns for a conditional draft pick, which is a 2017 third-round compensatory selection. That pick was the compensation for the player. In the case of the Kerley trade, the Lions got offensive lineman Brandon Thomas in the deal. So there were no picks involved.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think that's how it works.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 28th, 2016, 1:21 pm
Position Coach

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Aren't conditional picks only awarded for players lost in free agency? My understanding is that the only way a conditional pick is involved in a trade is if that is the compensation involved in the trade. For example, the Patriots traded Jamie Collins to the Browns for a conditional draft pick, which is a 2017 third-round compensatory selection. That pick was the compensation for the player. In the case of the Kerley trade, the Lions got offensive lineman Brandon Thomas in the deal. So there were no picks involved.

Conditional picks are simply pick compensation in a trade determined by the conditions set at the time of the trade. It could be something like a 7th rounder that could move up to a 6th rounder if a player involved in the trade starts x amount of games during the season. It could also be a pick you only receive if the conditions are met which could have been the case in the Kerley/Thomas deal. I don't remember the deal well, but it's possible the Lions would have got a 7th rounder if Kerley averaged a certain amount of snaps for the 49ers by the end of the season.

It would just be additional compensation like if the 49ers had made a deal to trade a 7th and Thomas for Kerley with no conditions.

November 28th, 2016, 1:30 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

Conditional picks are simply pick compensation in a trade determined by the conditions set at the time of the trade. It could be something like a 7th rounder that could move up to a 6th rounder if a player involved in the trade starts x amount of games during the season. It could also be a pick you only receive if the conditions are met which could have been the case in the Kerley/Thomas deal. I don't remember the deal well, but it's possible the Lions would have got a 7th rounder if Kerley averaged a certain amount of snaps for the 49ers by the end of the season.

It would just be additional compensation like if the 49ers had made a deal to trade a 7th and Thomas for Kerley with no conditions.

Yeah you're right. I was thinking of compensatory picks. Those are for people lost in free agency.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 28th, 2016, 2:28 pm
William Clay Ford Jr.

rao wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I think the deal was Thomas and a possible 7th round pick. But, I can't find it now.

November 28th, 2016, 10:04 pm
Position Coach

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I think the deal was Thomas and a possible 7th round pick. But, I can't find it now.

That may have just been a rumor before the deal was finalized.

November 28th, 2016, 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]