View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Power Rankings = BS! 
Junior Varsity

Post Power Rankings = BS!
Can anyone explain to me the formula used for this? How is it that Detroit can be ranked behind the Steelers and the Falcons after both teams got HANDLED in week one? Obviously the rankings will change on a weekly basis, but there seems to be no basis for this other than expectations and past records.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ankings-2/

1. Packers (No. 1; 1-0): Randall Cobb said that God told him to defy coach Mike McCarthy’s order to not bring out a kickoff more than five yards deep. Cobb needs to realize that, in Green Bay, McCarthy’s rank is higher.

2. Saints (No. 2; 0-1): There’s a good chance that the best two teams in the NFL played in the first game of the season.

3. Chargers (No. 3; 1-0): An ugly win in September is one of the prettiest things this slow-starting team has seen in years.

4. Ravens (No. 8; 1-0): Baltimore probably would have liked to bank a few of those 35 points for the rematch with the Steelers.

5. Patriots (No. 7; 1-0): Tom Brady reminds the world that, while Aaron Rodgers was the MVP of the Super Bowl, Brady was the MVP of the league.

6. Jets (No. 6; 1-0): Despite swiping a win, the Jets have a lot of things to fix.

7. Bears (No. 11; 1-0): Maybe some of the Bears defenders should play both ways.

8. Eagles (No. 9; 1-0): Mike Vick says he played “lights out.” His completion percentage suggests he meant that literally.

9. Falcons (No. 4; 0-1): After losing to the Bears on the road, it’s too early to panic. If they lose to Vick and the Eagles at home, it won’t be.

10. Texans (No. 12; 1-0): The 2011 season started the same way that the 2010 season began. The Texans need the next 15 games to go slightly better.

11. Steelers (No. 5; 0-1): Safety Troy Polamalu says the the team was humbled. Age tends to do that.

12. Lions (No. 14; 1-0): After winning four of 44, the Lions have won five of five.

September 13th, 2011, 11:05 am
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Power Rankings = BS!
We've sucked for a decade. Have to prove alot of doubters wrong still. 12 seems very generous to me. At this point

September 13th, 2011, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, and you can't put too much on one game. History and preseason predictions still have to be taken into account.

Now the Texans, on the other hand...

September 13th, 2011, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
How is it that Detroit can be ranked behind the Steelers and the Falcons after both teams got HANDLED in week one?

Because they have played only one game, the Falcons were in the playoffs last year and the Steelers in the Super Bowl. One game doesn't trump that.

September 13th, 2011, 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

So the power rankings are a carry over from last years accomplishments as well? How far does the analysis go back? I assumed this was much like the college football rankings where ones previous year accomplishments didn't effect (of should effect) the current years ranking? Not that it makes a difference either way, I'm just curious.

Thanks guys.

September 13th, 2011, 11:40 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

#12 seems to be pretty generous to me but what the heck I'll take it :o

September 13th, 2011, 11:44 am
3rd Round Selection

The fact that we're 12th and complaining tells you how far this franchise has come in the last 3 years!

WCL - this isn't like colleage rankings where it impacts on things like bowl appearences. It's just media stuff. Hence more subjective and based more on expectations (at this stage in the season) than results.

Personally I think 12th is a touch generous for the Lions but it's nice to see some recognition.

September 13th, 2011, 11:54 am
National Champion

I think if we beat KC next week we will be in the top 10. 12 isn't all that bad considering were we came from....

September 13th, 2011, 11:54 am
RIP Killer

It's not that it carries over from last year, it is that people realize teams don't typically go from hero to zero or zero to hero overnight. The Falcons and Steelers didn't really do anything to hurt their teams over the offseasons and they added some good players. They likely are not going to bust the next year down too far until they prove something has changed. For us, one game as well isn't going to change the fact we haven't had a winning season in how many years? If we win a few games out, we will slowely creap up. The power rankings are not week by week dynamic, they have some hysterysis built into them because of human opinion.

September 13th, 2011, 12:12 pm
RIP Killer

The Power Rankings don't matter for anything. Don't give it a second thought. They could put the Lions at #32, and I wouldn't care. As long as they rack up W's, it doesn't matter.

September 13th, 2011, 12:43 pm
Junior Varsity

Thanks for the opinions fellas.

September 13th, 2011, 2:08 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The falcons did hurt their team during the offseason. The Millenesque move of giving 6 draft picks for a receiver after getting torched defensively in the first round of the playoffs killed this team. There's a reason that except for the past 2 seasons, the NFC south has a long history of worst to first in their division. Carolina is still tied for first in the division since they as a division went 0-4.

Pittsburg is suffering from the same problems as Chicago, an aging defense. Polamalu is a few steps slower, and Harrison is at 70% and expected to be there all season after two back surgeries in the offseason. They won't be the same this year.

Power rankings have as much to do with history as they do with the present. They'll overlook NO's and GB's lackluster defenses and toss it up to defenses being behind the curve due to the lockout. If Det's defense is behind the curve, watch out in a few weeks.

September 13th, 2011, 4:02 pm
Varsity Captain

nfl.com has the Lions at #10

September 13th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
So the power rankings are a carry over from last years accomplishments as well? How far does the analysis go back? I assumed this was much like the college football rankings where ones previous year accomplishments didn't effect (of should effect) the current years ranking? Not that it makes a difference either way, I'm just curious.

Thanks guys.

The one thing I'll add is this: Of course previous year results have an impact on current year rankings. In the sense that last year, team ABC had XYZ players and finished with whatever their record is. Then you look at what the team is this year, how many of the guys from last year are there, what the expectation is for them, etc, and you rank accordingly. Not sure how you don't see that.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 13th, 2011, 4:10 pm
RIP Killer

come on guys, until late December of last year we almost always started with a "3" for the last ten years. We basically skipped starting with a "2" and moved all the way up to starting with a "1". We could soon be down to single digits. Let's enjoy this ride!

September 13th, 2011, 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next