View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Power Rankings = BS! 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Power Rankings = BS!
Pablo wrote:
come on guys, until late December of last year we almost always started with a "3" for the last ten years. We basically skipped starting with a "2" and moved all the way up to starting with a "1". We could soon be down to single digits. Let's enjoy this ride!

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner. Enjoy it while it lasts. There is no real system for power rankings. The better ones put some thought into it (records, scores, opponents in common, etc...) and its basically a hype meter for the worse ones.

September 13th, 2011, 11:01 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

2 words come to mind instead of BS. how bout Awesome S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14th, 2011, 8:18 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I think it's safe to assume that the Lions will be moving up in the rankings after destroying the Chiefs. However, I agree with those that say the Power Rankings mean nothing. They're just opinions and gives people something to talk about. It's not like they determine who gets into the playoffs or anything.

September 19th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Pro Bowl Player

bleacher report has the Lions at 4. Texans at 3.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8551 ... plummeting

September 19th, 2011, 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Ferris wrote:
bleacher report has the Lions at 4. Texans at 3.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8551 ... plummeting

They also have the Eagles ranked over the team that just beat them. I understand these rankings are subjective, but you'd think they could apply the one objective criteria of head to head matchups. I think head to head is especially relevant for rankings early in the season, later on it gets cloudier.

Anyway, its fun seeing the Lions up there but I want to see them beat a couple of good to really good teams before I get too excited. Just keep sipping the kool-aid until the body gets used to it.

September 19th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Week Two power rankings

Posted by Mike Florio on September 20, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT

AP
1. Packers (No. 1; 2-0): After getting torched by the Saints and the Panthers, it could be time to worry about the pass defense.

2. Saints (No. 2; 1-1): The Saints are still pretty good.

3. Patriots (No. 5; 2-0): Tom Brady is on pace to throw for more than 4.2 miles this year.

4. Jets (No. 6; 2-0): The latest incarnation of the Heidi game features a Jets team that finally could be ready to end the season the same way as it did that year.

5. Chargers (No. 3; 1-1): With the Chiefs coming to town, the slow-starting Chargers seem poised to finish the month at 2-1.

6. Falcons (No. 9; 1-1): Though the Vick injury made things easier, Matt Ryan and company finally won an important game by showing up in the clutch.

7. Lions (No. 12; 2-0): The most stunning reversal, perhaps in league history, continues when the Lions visit a Minnesota team that has mastered the series in recent years.

8. Texans (No. 10; 2-0): They’ll have a short trip to play in New Orleans, but a win there would show just how far this franchise has come.

9. Ravens (No. 4; 1-1): Someone forgot to tell the Ravens that the 35-7 win over the Steelers didn’t come in the AFC title game.

10. Steelers (No. 11; 1-1): There’s nothing like a shutout to make a defense look like the exact opposite of old and slow.

11. Bills (No. 13; 2-0): On Sunday, the Bills will put their two-game winning streak up against a 15-game losing streak to the Pats.

12. Bears (No. 7; 1-1): The Bears have to shake off a loss to the Saints and get ready for another Packer invasion.

13. Eagles (No. 8; 1-1): It’s always smarter to point at the scoreboard after the game has ended.

14. Cowboys (No. 14; 1-1): It’s going to take a win over a much better team than the 49ers to press the Tony Romo career reset button.

15. Buccaneers (No. 15; 1-1): If the Bucs could always play like they played in the second half of Sunday’s come-from-17-behind win over the Vikings, the Bucs would never lose a game.

16. Redskins (No. 20; 2-0): The Kyle Shanahan Sideline Joystick Offense is working well, so far.

17. Giants (No. 23; 1-1): The NFC East could be the most evenly-matched division in the league.

18. Cardinals (No. 17; 1-1): The best team (for now) in the NFC West barely cracks the league-wide top 20. Sounds about right.

19. Panthers (No. 22; 0-2): They keep losing, and they keep rising. If they lose to the Jaguars, the climb won’t continue.

20. Raiders (No. 19; 1-1): If this team can ever learn how to win games out of the AFC West, they could become one of the best teams in the league.

21. 49ers (No. 19; 1-1): If the Niners blow any more 10-point leads, No. 11 won’t be the quarterback for very long.

22. Titans (No. 27; 1-1): The team that used to be in Houston could have something to say about whether the team currently in Houston will finally get to the playoffs.

23. Jaguars (No. 16; 1-1): Jack Del Rio’s career in Jacksonville now hinges on the ability of rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert to play like rookie quarterback Cam Newton.

24. Broncos (No. 28; 1-1): Injuries have given the Broncos cover to try out a potential Tebow solution.

25. Bengals (No. 26; 1-1): Yeah, they lost to the Broncos. But at least they didn’t get Stokley’d again.

26. Rams (No. 21; 0-2): To have hope in December, the Rams need to steal one or two during a killer stretch of early-season games.

27. Browns (No. 31; 1-1): Beating the Colts in Indy doesn’t quite have the same sizzle as it used to.

28. Vikings (No. 24; 0-2): After halftime, the team’s “Cover 2” defense becomes “Cover Nobody.”

29. Seahawks (No. 25; 0-2): This will change once the Seahawks get to play some home games.

30. Colts (No. 29; 0-2): Maybe the Colts will need Peyton Manning to return not to compete for the playoffs, but to avoid matching the 2008 Lions.

31. Dolphins (No. 30; 0-2): A woeful 1-11 at home since late December 2009, the Texans, Steelers, and Patriots each have won twice a many games there since then.

32. Chiefs (No. 32; 0-2): The ACC would reject their application for membership.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ankings-2/

Wow! Up to 7 in PFTs ranking...and, as an aside, gotta love the comment about KC...it wasn't that long ago they were saying the same thing about our beloved Lions.

September 20th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports has them at #5.
http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15611470/power-rankings-awesome-offense-is-the-ticket-now

September 20th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Prisco is a big proponent of offense first, but also that its a passing league so you don't have to run. We actually have a top 10 defense though, so we have the ability to slow down or even stop some of the other teams.

September 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/3
ESPN still has us at #11, behind GB and CHI.

September 20th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Heisman Winner

11th seems about right to mean, maybe 10th but I agree with the rest, with the exception of the Jets being a spot or two too high.

September 20th, 2011, 6:21 pm
RIP Killer

ESPN's seems about right. Little bit of koolaid but not too much. Just enough hysteresis in their rankings.

September 20th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wonder if NFL teams even look at power rankings.

September 21st, 2011, 12:17 am
Div 1 - Starter

nfl.com has the lions ranked 7th as well

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82269d71/article/lions-keep-climbing-after-impressive-start-to-season?module=HP11_hot_topics

September 21st, 2011, 8:04 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
11th seems about right to mean, maybe 10th but I agree with the rest, with the exception of the Jets being a spot or two too high.

I think they have CHI entirely too high. I trust no team with Martz and Marinelli on it, and I don't trust Cutler or that Oline with Martz calling the plays.

September 21st, 2011, 8:27 pm
Heisman Winner

FootballPhreak wrote:
Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:

I think they have CHI entirely too high. I trust no team with Martz and Marinelli on it, and I don't trust Cutler or that Oline with Martz calling the plays.

Agreed!

September 21st, 2011, 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next