View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Power Rankings = BS! 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Power Rankings = BS!
I think the Lions are a top 10 team, but not a top 5. The Lions have done what they needed to do, but really haven't beaten any worthy opponents.

I'm also interested to see what will happen if the Lions get into a game where the passing attack just isn't working well. Too many good DBs, poor weather, whatever. I suspect the Lions will get killed.

September 21st, 2011, 11:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Blueskies wrote:
I think the Lions are a top 10 team, but not a top 5. The Lions have done what they needed to do, but really haven't beaten any worthy opponents.

I'm also interested to see what will happen if the Lions get into a game where the passing attack just isn't working well. Too many good DBs, poor weather, whatever. I suspect the Lions will get killed.

I think that's the reason they keep trying new RBs. I bet Kieland Williams gets a few more carries. I see your point though. We don't look built for the elements

September 22nd, 2011, 1:30 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

ok the nfl.com comments were funny!

Quote:
How did this happen? The new "Planet of the Apes" movie didn't stink ... Sarah Palin hooked up with Glen Rice ... and Detroit is 2-0 and looks awesome. Matt Stafford, please don't get hurt. Please don't get hurt. Please don't get hurt ... please.

September 22nd, 2011, 8:36 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:

Interesting - who is a worthy opponent? Minnesota? well they have QB problems. Dallas? too banged up. Chicago? does Cutler really have a uterus. Then San Fran, well they suck. OK, now we are six games into the season.

Blueskies wrote:

Many cold weather teams are built around the pass like the Pats and Pack. You make adjustments. I'd argue the opposite for the Lions. With a strong defense, especially up front and the talent to be effective in a short passing game (see Best out of the backfield, CJ's size, and 3 capable TEs) I think they are built to handle the cold weather just fine.

September 22nd, 2011, 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Interesting - who is a worthy opponent? Minnesota? well they have QB problems. Dallas? too banged up. Chicago? does Cutler really have a uterus. Then San Fran, well they suck. OK, now we are six games into the season.

Blueskies wrote:

Many cold weather teams are built around the pass like the Pats and Pack. You make adjustments. I'd argue the opposite for the Lions. With a strong defense, especially up front and the talent to be effective in a short passing game (see Best out of the backfield, CJ's size, and 3 capable TEs) I think they are built to handle the cold weather just fine.

I'd like to add to that that the two "unworthy" opponants we beat this year each had 10 wins last year. One won their respective division. At what point are we playing a "worthy" opponant?

September 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm
Heisman Winner

Hystrix wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Blueskies wrote:

I'd like to add to that that the two "unworthy" opponants we beat this year each had 10 wins last year. One won their respective division. At what point are we playing a "worthy" opponant?

TB finished 3rd in their division, but point taken they won 10 games.

September 22nd, 2011, 2:43 pm
National Champion

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

TB finished 3rd in their division, but point taken they won 10 games.

KC won their division. That was my point. And if TB had beat us last year they would have made the playoffs instead of the Packers...

September 22nd, 2011, 4:01 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Are you seriously going to argue that KC and TB are good teams?

KC will probably have an interim HC within a couple weeks. They may be the worst team in the league--their top 2 players were out for most of the game. TB is a mediocre team that had the benefit of a weak schedule last year.

Look, the Lions are definitely in the top 1/3 of the league. No question in my mind. But saying they are top 5 says you expect them to get to the NFC Title Game. Is that realistic?

The Pack and the Patriots can succeed in adverse weather situations and be pass happy. That is the mark of a great team. I don't think the Lions are there yet. I think the Lions will need another season or two to fully mature. I also think that the back-end of the Lions defense remains atrocious and will get exposed when opposing teams are not playing from behind and don't have to worry about the pass rush as much.

If you notice, whenever opposing QBs had the chance to stand in the pocket for a minute (admittedly a rare event but still) they were able to easily complete passes to wide open receivers. When the Lions D is playing in a situation where the opposing O is mixing in an equal mix of pass and run and the Dline can't "pin back their ears" the Lions secondary is going to get exposed.

I reiterate my 9-10 win prediction, which is a top 10 team, but not a top 5.

September 23rd, 2011, 12:04 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I saw a video earlier; Maurice Jones-Drew stated we were a top 5 team in the NFC.

And I would not say they are top tier teams, but to act like 2 teams that got 10 wins last year are scrubs is laughable. TB and KC are good teams.

September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Pro Bowl Player

Blueskies wrote:
Are you seriously going to argue that KC and TB are good teams?

KC will probably have an interim HC within a couple weeks. They may be the worst team in the league--their top 2 players were out for most of the game. TB is a mediocre team that had the benefit of a weak schedule last year.

Look, the Lions are definitely in the top 1/3 of the league. No question in my mind. But saying they are top 5 says you expect them to get to the NFC Title Game. Is that realistic?

The Pack and the Patriots can succeed in adverse weather situations and be pass happy. That is the mark of a great team. I don't think the Lions are there yet. I think the Lions will need another season or two to fully mature. I also think that the back-end of the Lions defense remains atrocious and will get exposed when opposing teams are not playing from behind and don't have to worry about the pass rush as much.

If you notice, whenever opposing QBs had the chance to stand in the pocket for a minute (admittedly a rare event but still) they were able to easily complete passes to wide open receivers. When the Lions D is playing in a situation where the opposing O is mixing in an equal mix of pass and run and the Dline can't "pin back their ears" the Lions secondary is going to get exposed.

I reiterate my 9-10 win prediction, which is a top 10 team, but not a top 5.

Im sorry, Just every time I read your moniker I think of Joey Blueskies... and you don't seem as optimistic. Just saying.

You refer to the pack and the patriots. we beat the pack. at home. and the patriots (preseason at home, but Brady played longer than Stafford).

This team is just better than in the past and some bitter Lions fans still living under the Millen - esque regime of the past decade can't seem to move on and admit it, or are just mad that we don't still have Joey Harrington under center?

Having said that, I do think that Tbay and KC were good teams. The question is how good are the Lions and the Bills? The Bills play the Patriots this weekend and are underdogs. Honestly, Fitzpatrick seems pretty annoying after listening to him on FX, but we should have an idea how good the Bills are by Monday.

The Lions are favored to beat the Vikings at the Metrodome for the first time in 30 years! wrap the around your head, but not so tight as to keep posting the nonsense you were posting previously. The first time in 30 years that anyone thought they were so good we could go there and beat them.

On Monday though, if the Lions and the Bills fail, more so the Lions, and KC and Tbay lose, I guess I concede to the "suckiness" of all said teams.

September 23rd, 2011, 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Towel Boy

I am new here but I just wanted to add one thing.

All the talk about where the Lions should be in the power rankings is interesting, but...

After beating KC 48-3 did they deserve to go DOWN in the power rankings?

From what I can see, that is what USA Today did. From 11th to 12th. dontknow.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... nkings.htm

Hunh?

September 23rd, 2011, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

wingedone wrote:
I am new here but I just wanted to add one thing.

All the talk about where the Lions should be in the power rankings is interesting, but...

After beating KC 48-3 did they deserve to go DOWN in the power rankings?

From what I can see, that is what USA Today did. From 11th to 12th. dontknow.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... nkings.htm

Hunh?

Exactly why I hold no store in power rankings....and welcome to Lionbacker.

September 23rd, 2011, 4:51 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I tend to agree with Blueskies on this. The Lions should be ranked in the top ten at this point, but they haven't proven enough to be considered top five just yet. Teams that have been consistent winners in the past deserve the benefit of the doubt, so it's justified ranking some 1-1 teams ahead of the Lions, especially if they lost to a top team. It's only going on week 3, so the cream will rise to the top over the long haul. They need to beat some top teams first to prove that they belong amongst the elite.

September 23rd, 2011, 5:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

slybri19 wrote:
I tend to agree with Blueskies on this. The Lions should be ranked in the top ten at this point, but they haven't proven enough to be considered top five just yet. Teams that have been consistent winners in the past deserve the benefit of the doubt, so it's justified ranking some 1-1 teams ahead of the Lions, especially if they lost to a top team. It's only going on week 3, so the cream will rise to the top over the long haul. They need to beat some top teams first to prove that they belong amongst the elite.

whaaaa? you cant just take my word for it?? cummon now, I'm never wrong! 8-[ :^o

September 24th, 2011, 11:10 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

regularjoe12 wrote:
whaaaa? you cant just take my word for it?? cummon now, I'm never wrong!

Joe brings up a good point :arrow:

September 24th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next