View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions O-line = DOMINANT !!!!! 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Lions O-line = DOMINANT !!!!!
Quote:
Lions O-line dominates, tops opening New York Life Protection Index

NORTHBROOK, Ill. (STATS) - Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson may get all the headlines, but Week 1 again proved that there’s more to these Detroit Lions than a little skill-position excellence.

Detroit graded out with a week-best 102.1 in the New York Life Protection Index after a 27-20 win at Tampa Bay for its fifth straight regular season victory. The NYLPI is a proprietary formula created by STATS LLC which measures pass protection by using metrics such as length of passes, penalties by offensive linemen, sacks allowed and quarterback hurries and knockdowns.

Stafford was 24 of 33 for 305 yards and three touchdowns - two of them to Johnson - as the Lions continued to show that their winless campaign of 2008 is nothing more than a distant memory. But for all the highlights the Stafford-to-Johnson combo puts up, it’s been the improvement of the team’s offensive line that has been critical in establishing a new tradition of winning.

“Luck is starting to change around here, bounces are starting to change around here,” guard Rob Sims said. “It’s coming together nice. We’re excited.”

On Sunday, Detroit’s offensive line certainly did more than just get lucky. Outside of a lone knockdown, it kept Stafford upright the entire game. The Lions were one of two teams - San Francisco the other, albeit with 13 less attempts - that did not allow a sack. Stafford was hurried just twice, and the unit was not called for a single holding penalty.

As a result, Stafford completed 73 percent of his attempts and finished the game with a passer rating of 118.9.

“We have so much confidence in him,” Johnson said of Stafford. “He puts it up there for me, I’ve got to go get it. He’s our coach on the field.”

The Indianapolis Colts are currently without their coach on the field, and the results are as glaring as they are predictable. A season ago, Indianapolis finished with a league-high NYLPI score of 90.7, but for the first time in 227 games the club had someone other than Peyton Manning under center.

Not surprisingly, the precision crispness of the offense suffered with Kerry Collins at the helm. Collins was sacked three times, hurried five and knocked down eight as the Colts fell at Houston 34-7. A revamped offensive line struggled after previous versions allowed 16 or fewer sacks each of the three prior seasons, ending the game with a 29.7 NYLPI mark.

“None of us played well. It had nothing to do with Kerry,” Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday said. “As an offense, we just didn’t play well, and we didn’t execute when we needed to. We had fumbles, sacks, penalties, any way you could shoot yourself in the foot, we did it.”

Yet for all the issues Indianapolis had, Minnesota fared even worse in the debut of its own veteran quarterback. Donovan McNabb was sacked twice and threw for a mere 39 yards on 15 attempts - 10 of which resulted in a hurry (six) or knockdown (four) - as the Vikings lost 24-17 at San Diego. The 39 passing yards were the fewest in a game for Minnesota in 40 years.

The Vikings’ week-ending NYLPI score of minus-18.9 was by far the lowest of the week - St. Louis ranked 31st with a 25.1. Last season, there were only four other scores that were lower for the entire year.

“There’s obviously improvements to be made, little things in technique and communication,” center John Sullivan said. “We’re still breaking it in. Obviously it needs to happen quickly because we’re into the real games now.”

Other noteworthy performances included strong starts by the front five of New England and New Orleans, which helped power Tom Brady and Drew Brees to a combined 936 passing yards and marks of 94.8 and 90.1 to rank second and third, respectively.

And while Brady’s team-record 517 yards stole the show Monday night, it’s interesting to note that Carolina rookie Cam Newton actually led the league with 294 of his 422 yards through the air - i.e., the distance the ball actually travels before being caught. Brady was second at 279.

After ranking 30th for the season in 2010, the Panthers finished 15th in the pro debut of their new quarterback.

“Everybody believes in him,” two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Jordan Gross said. “We’re never looking around wondering who’s going to make the play. I know our receivers believe in him as well. He’s our quarterback and he’s taken that by the reins and led the charge.”

September 13th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Lions O-line = DOMINANT !!!!!
While they played well in pass protection, I doubt the Lion OL would have finished first if they factored in run blocking and that stupid penalty Cherilus took. With that said, I still think they would have graded out in the top ten if everything was considered.

September 13th, 2011, 6:02 pm
Junior Varsity

slybri19 wrote:
While they played well in pass protection, I doubt the Lion OL would have finished first if they factored in run blocking and that stupid penalty Cherilus took. With that said, I still think they would have graded out in the top ten if everything was considered.

I tend to agree with you sly, on all accounts...the penalty that Cherilus commited could have cost us the game. Peterman had a penalty as well that should have been avoided.

September 13th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Hall of Fame Player

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I tend to agree with you sly, on all accounts...the penalty that Cherilus commited could have cost us the game. Peterman had a penalty as well that should have been avoided.

I only posted this because I thought it was funny. Especially given how so many think our O-line is the worst in the league.

September 13th, 2011, 10:31 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I think most people have started to come around on the line and even on Backus. RG seems to be a hole though and RT is a question mark. As said above run blocking could be better but pass blocking has been solid. I'll be interested to see how they hold up against a more experienced d-line though. Tampa's line might have potential but they are very young.

September 13th, 2011, 10:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

All this is well & good but week 5 vs Chi will be the most important game in the career of Jeff Backus

September 13th, 2011, 10:52 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Honestly I want to see how TB's DLine performs next week. I'm not too worried about KC's pass rush, so they're not a great benchmark for us, but never know.

September 13th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Varsity Captain

SimplePoster wrote:
I think most people have started to come around on the line and even on Backus. RG seems to be a hole though and RT is a question mark. As said above run blocking could be better but pass blocking has been solid. I'll be interested to see how they hold up against a more experienced d-line though. Tampa's line might have potential but they are very young.

i know they were dumb penalties, but Gos has a mean streak. an i kinda like it. he is gonna kick rectum and not let bs happen anymore(note last year's bs head ripping off of shaun hill that jared allen should have gotten his rectum beat for that he didn't... brett favre was laughing.) that crap wont happen anymore and i like it. Avril says peterson is the meanest sob out of all of them... i like it. this team has been THEEE laughing stock of the league, laughed at by teams, critics, all of our friends and announcers for decades. now we got a few guys that are gonna stand up for detroit, knock you down, punch you in the face, and not take sh*t from anyone. bring it on kc. leave the attitude at the door though. 35-10 Lions.

BAM

September 14th, 2011, 1:35 am
Div 1 - Starter

BestAtMadden wrote:
SimplePoster wrote:

i know they were dumb penalties, but Gos has a mean streak. an i kinda like it. he is gonna kick rectum and not let bs happen anymore(note last year's bs head ripping off of shaun hill that jared allen should have gotten his rectum beat for that he didn't... brett favre was laughing.) that crap wont happen anymore and i like it. Avril says peterson is the meanest sob out of all of them... i like it. this team has been THEEE laughing stock of the league, laughed at by teams, critics, all of our friends and announcers for decades. now we got a few guys that are gonna stand up for detroit, knock you down, punch you in the face, and not take sh*t from anyone. bring it on kc. leave the attitude at the door though. 35-10 Lions.

BAM

I understand a mean streak in an offensive lineman is a good thing. The reason I said RT is a question mark is because Cherilus hasn't been consistent enough there for long enough to call that position set. As for Peterman...he could be the meanest, toughest guy out there, but if the Lions can't run the ball behind him it doesn't mean squat. A couple of years ago he seemed like the best lineman the Lions had. I'm not sure what happened but I really hope he can get back to that form.

September 14th, 2011, 6:33 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I only posted this because I thought it was funny. Especially given how so many think our O-line is the worst in the league.

Exactly. While I have not been the biggest supporter of our offensive line over the years, it has become evident to me that this group is really starting to come together and play well. It is also apparent that the scheme being run is as much a part of how well the line plays as the talent of the personnel. When Marinelli was coaching, the o-line coach was in disagreement with the offensive coordinator, and Rod never stepped in to take control of the situation. In the meantime, we got guys blocking the wrong way, and the OC and OL coach are pointing at each other. I may not always agree with some of our offensive playcalling, but at least Linehan as the entire offense on the same page, and he's not asking guys to do the impossible, like hold a pass block for six seconds (ala Martz).

September 14th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Varsity Captain

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Exactly. While I have not been the biggest supporter of our offensive line over the years, it has become evident to me that this group is really starting to come together and play well. It is also apparent that the scheme being run is as much a part of how well the line plays as the talent of the personnel. When Marinelli was coaching, the o-line coach was in disagreement with the offensive coordinator, and Rod never stepped in to take control of the situation. In the meantime, we got guys blocking the wrong way, and the OC and OL coach are pointing at each other. I may not always agree with some of our offensive playcalling, but at least Linehan as the entire offense on the same page, and he's not asking guys to do the impossible, like hold a pass block for six seconds (ala Martz).

It's refreshing that they are all on the same page and gelling as a unit. it helps when you can keep the same oc and dc for a few years so the players know the schemes and play fast with confidence. Hopefully we can keep the same coaches for a few more years and just roll out a few championships in a row and form a dynasty. :cheers:

September 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm
All State

njroar wrote:
Honestly I want to see how TB's DLine performs next week. I'm not too worried about KC's pass rush, so they're not a great benchmark for us, but never know.

They may not be great , but when we face the great/ good pass rush teams . We'll be well prepared , and performing @ a high level consistently and wont be expecting anything less ..

September 14th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Heisman Winner

Well gee look at that, we have a QB that gets rid of the football now and we don't take sacks.

Anyone miss Jon Kitna?

September 14th, 2011, 3:29 pm
Varsity Captain

hamma77 wrote:
Well gee look at that, we have a QB that gets rid of the football now and we don't take sacks.

Anyone miss Jon Kitna?

Cutler was sacked 6 times sunday vs. the falcons. :-({|=
Martz scheme gets qbs killed. 7 step drops and that 15 yard dig route to roy williams all day. [-X

I did like putting up 35 points in the 4th quarter to beat chicago a few years ago, but it's not good to NEED to.

September 14th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Heisman Winner

That's true but combine that with the fact we had all QB's that would just hold onto the ball forever it didn't help. I've liked our line for the past few years and they gelled well last year and it continues this season. We don't run the ball well because we don't really do any heavy run stuff. Without numbers it's hard for any teams to run.

September 14th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next