View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions O-line = DOMINANT !!!!! 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions O-line = DOMINANT !!!!!
Killwill25 wrote:
All this is well & good but week 5 vs Chi will be the most important game in the career of Jeff Backus

After last year, if we don't have Peppers double teamed the entire game, someone needs to be fired.

September 15th, 2011, 10:37 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Raiola is the primary problem. Until he is done getting pushed into the backfield, there isn't too much we can do. Just my 2 cents.

September 21st, 2011, 2:34 am
Towel Boy

Minus Jeff Backus.

He's the reason Matthew Stafford got up limping twice.

September 21st, 2011, 1:14 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Wow, always Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola. 10 years, 4 coaching staffs, 2 GM's and last I checked Stafford is the only QB in the league who hasn't been sacked this year.

I think this is alot like talking about our suspect run defense in a 45 point blowout. If they weren't good, they wouldn't still be in the league. You want to talk about garbage, talk about the Oline that's let Jay Cutler get sacked 11 times this year.

I think they do great considering they've faced every elite DE and DT in the league over a decade and they have never been in a training camp battle, never get left in Detroit for stupid penalties. Lucky we still have em...

September 21st, 2011, 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

http://newyorklife.stats.com/fb/protect ... pe=overall

Quote:
Overall
Rank Team Games Index
1 Detroit Lions 2 93.1
2 Buffalo Bills 2 89.8
3 Tennessee Titans 2 88.5
4 New England Patriots 2 86.8
5 New Orleans Saints 2 81.3
6 San Diego Chargers 2 80.1
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2 75.1
8 Dallas Cowboys 2 72.9
9 Kansas City Chiefs 2 71.5
10 Green Bay Packers 2 68.5
11 Oakland Raiders 2 67.4
12 Washington Redskins 2 66.4
13 Carolina Panthers 2 66.2
14 Pittsburgh Steelers 2 65.0
15 Cincinnati Bengals 2 61.2
16 New York Jets 2 60.0
17 Philadelphia Eagles 2 57.6
18 Houston Texans 2 57.3
19 Cleveland Browns 2 56.1
20 St. Louis Rams 2 55.6
21 Baltimore Ravens 2 52.3
22 Indianapolis Colts 2 52.1
23 Miami Dolphins 2 51.6
24 Arizona Cardinals 2 47.8
25 New York Giants 2 45.8
26 Jacksonville Jaguars 2 45.4
27 Denver Broncos 2 43.6
28 Atlanta Falcons 2 36.7
29 San Francisco 49ers 2 35.0
30 Chicago Bears 2 29.4
31 Seattle Seahawks 2 23.6
32 Minnesota Vikings 2 22.5

through 2 games, top pass protection Oline in the league.

September 21st, 2011, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Ferris wrote:
Wow, always Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola. 10 years, 4 coaching staffs, 2 GM's and last I checked Stafford is the only QB in the league who hasn't been sacked this year.

I think this is alot like talking about our suspect run defense in a 45 point blowout. If they weren't good, they wouldn't still be in the league. You want to talk about garbage, talk about the Oline that's let Jay Cutler get sacked 11 times this year.

I think they do great considering they've faced every elite DE and DT in the league over a decade and they have never been in a training camp battle, never get left in Detroit for stupid penalties. Lucky we still have em...

I also think sack #s have to do with scheme, qb awareness and o-line group. Martz scheme takes a loooong time to develop and that extra second or two is huge. he rarely adjusts though and his qbs get crushed often. when in st. louis it was trent green going down that gave warner a shot.. then curt got pretty banged up and happy feet. insert bulger etc. kitna while in detroit, (martz was quoted saying " they will never win with the tackles they have in detroit") he goes to chicago now cutler is getting crushed.
While joey Harrington was in detroit, backus and raiola were young and getting manhandled. new offensive coordiantors every 2 years do not help.
insert linehan, who understands his players shortcomings and doesnt put backus on an island for 5-6 seconds + plus a level headed qb with an arsenal of weapons, quick reads, check downs (but not afraid to throw some deep routes) and it is paying off.
Sims and peterman have helped and they all have been playing together for a couple seasons now so they are gelling[i][/i] as a group. the line is doing a heck of a job, but lets see how they stack up against the nfc north pass rushers like peppers, allen and mathews before we crown 'em.

September 21st, 2011, 2:12 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Ferris wrote:

Agree,
I have always thought those two got a bad rap. Especially Backus. I asked a guy at work the other day, If Backus is so bad Name some teams that wouldn't take him.....came up with 4 that I may agree with. So 28teams might like to have a guy like backus.............Yup he must suck :roll:

September 21st, 2011, 2:21 pm
RIP Killer

lets remember everything works together. The OL itself, the scheme, the QB, etc.

On most plays Stafford gets rid of the ball very quickly, this in turn limits the punishment he is going to take. Scheme plays a part as well, when the Lions are in no-huddle watch the opposing DL - after a few plays they slow down significantly.

The TEs also play a major role as one they must be accounted for and secondly they have helped out in the blocking very well when called upon to do so.

This team is going to need to start investing in the OL pretty heavily soon because they are getting long in the tooth. Pass blocking has been OK, but the center of our pocket does get pushed back on a regular basis.

September 21st, 2011, 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
lets remember everything works together. The OL itself, the scheme, the QB, etc.

On most plays Stafford gets rid of the ball very quickly, this in turn limits the punishment he is going to take. Scheme plays a part as well, when the Lions are in no-huddle watch the opposing DL - after a few plays they slow down significantly.

The TEs also play a major role as one they must be accounted for and secondly they have helped out in the blocking very well when called upon to do so.

This team is going to need to start investing in the OL pretty heavily soon because they are getting long in the tooth. Pass blocking has been OK, but the center of our pocket does get pushed back on a regular basis.

Good points. Remember that Backus and Raiola got criticized the most when Martz was in town. He blamed them after he went to SF. Then the same things happened there, and are now happening in Chi-town. It was his scheme, not the players.

Backus is not an elite talent. Neither is Raiola. But both have their niche abilities and with the right players and scheme they can do what needs to be done.

I do agree that the front office needs to find the eventual replacement for both guys. Jason Fox doesn't seem to be that guy. He may have incredible talent (or may not), but he seems too injury prone. Having a great left tackle that can't stay on the field basically means you don't have a great left tackle.

Oh, and I still think Peterman is less than average. Let's find a replacement for him too.

September 21st, 2011, 3:03 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Good points. Remember that Backus and Raiola got criticized the most when Martz was in town. He blamed them after he went to SF. Then the same things happened there, and are now happening in Chi-town. It was his scheme, not the players.

Backus is not an elite talent. Neither is Raiola. But both have their niche abilities and with the right players and scheme they can do what needs to be done.

I do agree that the front office needs to find the eventual replacement for both guys. Jason Fox doesn't seem to be that guy. He may have incredible talent (or may not), but he seems too injury prone. Having a great left tackle that can't stay on the field basically means you don't have a great left tackle.

Oh, and I still think Peterman is less than average. Let's find a replacement for him too.

If you ask me, and I know its early, thats what Id like the Lions to target in next years draft, and early too.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 21st, 2011, 3:19 pm
RIP Killer

just checked updated OL stats...

Lions run game ranked #31
QB Hits Allowed = 20 (middle of the pack)
Sacks Allowed = 5 (#6 overall)

October 3rd, 2011, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I think the offensive line is going to need a lot of attention in next year's draft and free agency period. Both Backus and Raiola have lots of mileage on their bodies and they aren't getting any younger.

I'm guessing that we'll have later picks this year, so no drafting the top left tackle prospect. I think we could use starting caliber left tackle and center prospects in our first three rounds, even if they don't necessarily start next season.

Has there been any evidence as to whether Jason Fox will pan out? Is there any reason to believe that he can be a top 15 starting caliber OT or will he be just another body that can be used to plug a hole?

October 3rd, 2011, 3:15 pm
Growler wrote:
I think the offensive line is going to need a lot of attention in next year's draft and free agency period. Both Backus and Raiola have lots of mileage on their bodies and they aren't getting any younger.

I'm guessing that we'll have later picks this year, so no drafting the top left tackle prospect. I think we could use starting caliber left tackle and center prospects in our first three rounds, even if they don't necessarily start next season.

Has there been any evidence as to whether Jason Fox will pan out? Is there any reason to believe that he can be a top 15 starting caliber OT or will he be just another body that can be used to plug a hole?

I agree. IMO it is plainly clear after yesterdays game (Cowboys) and the Vikes game that Backus is on a decline in his career, and he never could run block. We need a new LT. Raiola got beat bad, held a couple of plays, got called for it, and we've never really been able to rush effectively with him in the middle. Get him out of there.

I loved it when Backus got called for a holding call in yesterdays game and Raiola clearly yelled "C'Mon" to Backus... Railoa was called for a hold earlier in the game... Pot calling the kettel...

October 3rd, 2011, 4:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Growler wrote:

Well Fox has barely played this year. And I think he was listed on the injury report. So, this guy just can't stay healthy apparently.

October 3rd, 2011, 4:53 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Growler wrote:

I agree. IMO it is plainly clear after yesterdays game (Cowboys) and the Vikes game that Backus is on a decline in his career, and he never could run block. We need a new LT. Raiola got beat bad, held a couple of plays, got called for it, and we've never really been able to rush effectively with him in the middle. Get him out of there.

I loved it when Backus got called for a holding call in yesterdays game and Raiola clearly yelled "C'Mon" to Backus... Railoa was called for a hold earlier in the game... Pot calling the kettel...

I agree. And since we no longer have to sell half the team to pay rookies, I am all for trading up to get the top LT this year. Raiola is under contract through next year. So, we replace him then. But, I think we should resign Backus and move him to RT or RG.

October 3rd, 2011, 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next