View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anybody here still wishing you had drafted that Wake Forest 
Head Cheerleader

Post Anybody here still wishing you had drafted that Wake Forest
linebacker in 2009?

This team looks very strong on both sides of the ball. Coaching staff and management seem to know exactly what they're doing. Good luck next week!!!

September 19th, 2011, 2:05 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Re: Anybody here still wishing you had drafted that Wake For
I personally did not want Curry over Stafford. I was/am a Stafford believer and was very happy we took him. I had to hear it from friends who wanted Sanchez after he went to the playoffs and Stafford was hurt, but I never stopped believing.

Patrick Willis and Rolando Mclain have been the only 2 linebackers I have liked enough to pick in the top 5. Luckily Moron picked CJ instead of Willis and we never had a realistic shot at Mclain.

So to answer your question...no I don't wish we would have drafted Curry in 2009 as I have never wished for that.

September 19th, 2011, 3:30 am
RIP Killer

I wanted Curry over Stafford... I was wrong. But at least I never thought Russel was the next best QB ever.

September 19th, 2011, 9:50 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I wanted Curry over Stafford... I was wrong. But at least I never thought Russel was the next best QB ever.

That is a bit of a stretch. My point, year after year, was that the NFL had become a QB driven league and the Lions hadn't had a decent one in 50 years. I proposed the Lions should take the top QB prospect each year until they finally hit on one and then build around them. That was th only way I could see the Lions becoming a SB contender.

Also, given their GM at the time I'd hoped by the time he left at least we would have a QB as a building block by the time the next GM took over. Instead, Millen kept picking WRs with no QB to get them the ball.

September 19th, 2011, 9:58 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Nope, best QB of all times since ;)

September 19th, 2011, 10:04 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Nope, best QB of all times since ;)

since Vince Young... 8)

September 19th, 2011, 10:09 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

HAHA...

No but really, I though Curry was the next Ray Lewis... so I don't joke without acknowledging my nonsense.

I will say though, Stafford still has to prove he can stay healthy. Curry isn't playing bad. Seattle tried to make him lie up at DE and other weird packages but they got him back at LB where he plays more natural. Clearly Curry can never have the type of impact Matt Stafford can playing as he has the past two games but if Stafford can't stay healthy Curry is playing good enough to say that he wins out if Stafford can't stay on the field.

September 19th, 2011, 10:21 am
All State

Cant say I wanted Curry , but I will say that I like Lionfanatic did want Willis that year over CJ , I wont lie about that .. I thought he wouldve been a great pick , but then again he probably wouldve been ruined ..

September 19th, 2011, 10:30 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I remember that draft well. I was hoping that the Lions would draft Stafford, but Aaron Curry was clearly my second choice. What I found more amazing were the people that wanted one of the OTs (Monroe, or Jason or Andre Smith) though. How have those guys worked out? Luckily, the Lions seem to have made the correct pick.

September 19th, 2011, 11:57 am
Head Cheerleader

slybri19 wrote:
I remember that draft well. I was hoping that the Lions would draft Stafford, but Aaron Curry was clearly my second choice. What I found more amazing were the people that wanted one of the OTs (Monroe, or Jason or Andre Smith) though. How have those guys worked out? Luckily, the Lions seem to have made the correct pick.

I never understood the fascination with Jason Smith. I always thought he was insanely overrated, and that Monroe would be a much better player. I haven't followed the Rams enough to really know how well he's done, but I get the impression that he's been a disappointment.

And I always preferred Stafford over Curry. I loved Curry in the draft, but really thought we needed to roll the dice on a QB. I had some doubts about Stafford, but he's completely put them to rest, and it was always obvious that he had the talent to succeed.

September 19th, 2011, 1:40 pm
RIP Killer

Yes, I was one of the people that preferred Curry over Stafford. I didn't think Stafford would equate to a successful NFL QB.

Now for the cold shower to all of you Stafford slappies......he still isn't a successful NFL QB. Does he have the potential to be? Absolutely. Am I happy with the pick? Without a doubt. But until he can play near a full season healthy and successfully put the Lions into contention, there's not much to do but wait.

And, by the way, this whole "aren't you happy we took Stafford and not Curry" bit is getting really old. Let's not start anymore threads on this, k?

September 19th, 2011, 6:21 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

stafford 20 tds in his last 8 starts...where are the clowns that wanted culpepper to start over staff?

September 19th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I bought into Curry and am more than willing to say that as it looks now I was wrong. I just want Stafford to perform well over the course of the season now. It'd be nice to have him known as Matthew Stafford-The guy who puts up big numbers, rather than Matthew Stafford-If he stays healthy.

September 19th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I loved Curry but said all along that if the Lions believed Stafford could be a franchise-type QB then they HAD to draft him. I'm glad they did--he sure looks the part so far.

September 19th, 2011, 8:36 pm
Heisman Winner

Wanted Stafford in that draft. Wanted Willis over CJ.

How about the guys who wanted to hire Scott Pioli as GM? KC would build a real team the right way and embarrass the Lions..

Looking now like we at least broke even on that decision..

September 19th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next