View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anybody here still wishing you had drafted that Wake Forest 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Anybody here still wishing you had drafted that Wake For
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
I wanted Curry over Stafford... I was wrong. But at least I never thought Russel was the next best QB ever.

That is a bit of a stretch. My point, year after year, was that the NFL had become a QB driven league and the Lions hadn't had a decent one in 50 years. I proposed the Lions should take the top QB prospect each year until they finally hit on one and then build around them. That was th only way I could see the Lions becoming a SB contender.

Also, given their GM at the time I'd hoped by the time he left at least we would have a QB as a building block by the time the next GM took over. Instead, Millen kept picking WRs with no QB to get them the ball.

Hey Pablo,

I'm gonna 1 up you. Now that we have a stud QB, why stop there? We should be using a 3rd round pick every 3 years on a QB to groom and just start churning them out as trade like Philly is doing.

September 19th, 2011, 10:36 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
stafford 20 tds in his last 8 starts...where are the clowns that wanted culpepper to start over staff?

Did you ever stop to think that if Culpepper had started over Stafford we wouldn't be so damn worried about if he'll stay healthy, because he wouldn't have gotten hurt that season?

It wasn't about talent level, it was about allowing Stafford time to adjust to the speed of the pro game, and allowing him time to learn to read a defense. His numbers in his first season show he didn't read defenses very well.

September 20th, 2011, 9:42 am
Team MVP

I'll admit I wanted Curry. But since then I've learned A LOT and am so glad the Lions are smarter than me. I have so much confidence in Stafford that its almost like I cant wait to watch the game JUST to watch him in a way. Seems like hes been in the league for 10 years the way hes been playing.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 20th, 2011, 12:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
stafford 20 tds in his last 8 starts...where are the clowns that wanted culpepper to start over staff?

Did you ever stop to think that if Culpepper had started over Stafford we wouldn't be so damn worried about if he'll stay healthy, because he wouldn't have gotten hurt that season?

It wasn't about talent level, it was about allowing Stafford time to adjust to the speed of the pro game, and allowing him time to learn to read a defense. His numbers in his first season show he didn't read defenses very well.

Because whenever that fat turd played, it was an automatic loss and the rest of the team knew it. If it would've been anyone besides Culpepper, I would've been OK letting Stafford sit.

September 20th, 2011, 1:36 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Because whenever that fat turd played, it was an automatic loss and the rest of the team knew it. If it would've been anyone besides Culpepper, I would've been OK letting Stafford sit.

That's what I remember of the "start Culpepper" argument. Most (but not all) argued that "Culpepper gives us the best chance to win now." Hilarious since Culpepper had never won anywhere.

September 20th, 2011, 4:29 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

agreed with mwill2 that the argument then by most people was that "the lions need to win now" and that "culpepper gives us the best chance to win" not m2k's weak hypothetical

Stafford's knee injury in the game against the Bears that year had nothing to do with the ability to read a defense, he was scrambing away from a defender who twisted his knee awkwardly - its not that he didnt see him or didnt know the pressure was on. His shoulder injury as a rookie was clearly from a broken play which again had nothing to do with ability to read defenses, he scrambled and tried to make a deep throw under diress and got laid out by a Cleveland DT. maybe you could argue that his year 2 week 1 shoulder injury at the hands of an unblocked (Backus) backside Julius Peppers had something to do with pocket presence but had he not played in year 1 Stafford would have had a worse feel for the pocket than he did at that time. Im interested to see how you will try to spin this as the plays that Stafford was injured on are clear in my memory, all available to view on youtube and have nothing to do with reading a defense poorly.

September 20th, 2011, 7:19 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Hindsight is always 20/20. If Stafford had not gotten hurt, would he have spent the time putting 20lbs of muscle in his upper body? He didn't after the first injury. We could argue what-ifs forever and day, all that matters is what we have now.

I wanted Curry, but I will gladly eat crow. I felt the defense was neglected for too long, but the FO made the right choices.

September 20th, 2011, 7:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
stafford 20 tds in his last 8 starts...[b]where are the clowns that wanted culpepper to start over staff?
[/b]

m2k wrote

Quote:

to the bolded section, should we also have had Charles Rogers, Mikel Leshoure, Nick Fairley, Titus Young not even in practice during their rookie seasons bc they were all injured in practice?

September 20th, 2011, 7:24 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
stafford 20 tds in his last 8 starts...[b]where are the clowns that wanted culpepper to start over staff?
[/b]

m2k wrote

Quote:

to the bolded section, should we also have had Charles Rogers, Mikel Leshoure, Nick Fairley, Titus Young not even in practice during their rookie seasons bc they were all injured in practice?

I wanted Stafford to start as long as he was ready. But to be fair to those that wanted to sit him, QB is historically different from RB, WR, et all. Not all, but MANY QB's have sat out to begin their careers. QB is just a different animal from any other position.

September 20th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Varsity Captain

jrd66 wrote:
Wanted Stafford in that draft. Wanted Willis over CJ.

How about the guys who wanted to hire Scott Pioli as GM? KC would build a real team the right way and embarrass the Lions..

Looking now like we at least broke even on that decision..

I wanted Curry too. Matt has played well this year and it would be great to get that "if he stays healthy* out of everybody's mouth, but it's going to have to be proved wrong until otherwise.
I did want a LT too.. Backus and Raiolio and the revolving doors at guard have killed qb after qb here for 10 years. mix in a little mike martz 7 step drop 20 yard dig route sceme, and any weak linemen become exposed and over extended rather quickly.
I also wanted Pioli to build a franchise for us. I didnt know mayhew would have this much guile and sack to get a squad like we have. But in all fairness to scotty p, his offensive coordinator weissy pooh took a walk to warm and sunny florida. its tough to build when you have new o.c. and their injuries (berry and charles, etc..)

The good news is our coordinators are hopefully staying put and coaching to the players we have on o and d. the lions are responding by playing really fast and confident. it is great to finally see it coming together, but still much room for improvement (that's scary) Throw in big Shack to put is seal of approval on all transactions and draft picks and we finally have an organization that is NOT a laughing stock.
:cheers:

September 21st, 2011, 4:45 am

I was driving the draft Matthew Stafford band wagon and it seemed about 90% of the people on the forum wanted Curry. That being said Stafford needs to stay healthy for an entire season before I feel vindicated.

It does seem kind of amazing how average Curry is.

September 21st, 2011, 9:08 am
RIP Killer

Stallion wrote:
I was driving the draft Matthew Stafford band wagon and it seemed about 90% of the people on the forum wanted Curry. That being said Stafford needs to stay healthy for an entire season before I feel vindicated.

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by that too. I was figuring Curry to be at least a really good linebacker in the NFL, not necessarily a perennial Pro Bowler, but at least an impact player. He's been pretty much a dud.

Certainly not the first time I've been wrong about a player.

September 21st, 2011, 9:11 am

m2karateman wrote:
Stallion wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked by that too. I was figuring Curry to be at least a really good linebacker in the NFL, not necessarily a perennial Pro Bowler, but at least an impact player. He's been pretty much a dud.

Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar. I mean I thought McFadden was going to be a complete and utter failure :^o

September 21st, 2011, 12:15 pm
Team MVP

Stallion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Stallion wrote:

Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar. I mean I thought McFadden was going to be a complete and utter failure :^o

You think thats bad? I thought Clausen was the better of the two QB prospects between him and Bradford........(OUCH!)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 21st, 2011, 1:31 pm
Pro Bowl Player

kdsberman wrote:
Stallion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Stallion wrote:

You think thats bad? I thought Clausen was the better of the two QB prospects between him and Bradford........(OUCH!)

Yeh, I thought Bradford would be better than Stafford. #-o love being wrong !

September 21st, 2011, 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next