View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 12:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 detroit's receivers 
Towel Boy

Post detroit's receivers
Hi Everyone, I thought I would start a topic on Detroits receivers, since we do have three number one picks. This topic is of interest to me. We all know we need good backups from our history so who is best suited to be on the roster.
Here is my list:
R. Williams- one of the best I have ever seen if he can stay healthy, he will do great things for the team- a freak of nature
C. Rogers- hopefully this guy can stay healthy and show us what he's got
M. Williams- was amazing in college, can he do the same in the nfl?
K. Johnson-impressive sometimes, but we could have got a better vet for a milllion bucks
E. Drummond- not a receiver but a ridiculous punt and kick returner, our star on special teams and will take up a receiver spot. They wont want to risk him at receiver this year so we probably will keep 6.
D. Kircus- everyone is high on him, but i am not sold yet, has good hands but might be cut because of special teams needs.
S. Vines- jumped in and showed his stuff in the end last year-good on special teams
A. Herzing-has been bounced around, but could land a spot here if he does well on special teams. has good hands
G. Martinez- Doing fairly well in Europe, will probably be cut
S. Savoy- Should have stayed in college a little longer
P. Hamilton- I don't know much about him

So my 6 would be
1.williams
2.williams
3.rogers
4.johnson
5.drummond
6.herzing or vines
practice sqaud would be savoy

We will see, would be fun to see people's opinions!

May 10th, 2005, 8:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Welcome to Lionbacker!

As for our receivers, personally I like what I saw of Scotty Vines last year - the little bit that we did get to see.

Kircus is a fan favorite but he can't afford to drop any balls this year.

I really can't say I know much about Herzing, Martinez, Savoy or Hamilton. But I will say that the Lions tent to like NFL Europe players because you can have more of them on your practice squad than UDFA's. So there's a chance (everything else being close) that Martinez could land a spot there.

Bottom line for me:

C. Rogers
R. Williams
M. Williams
K. Johnson
S. Vines / D. Kircus (this might be a close battle in camp)
E. Drummond

Practice Squad, who knows; at least one maybe two WR's.

Again, Welcome Aboard.

May 10th, 2005, 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Every spot but the 5th WR position is set...

1a, 1b, 1c are ROY, Crog and BMW.

4. is Kevin Johnson

6. is Eddie Drummond

That leaves only the 5th WR spot. Kircus hasn't done anything to prove he belongs after two years. Herzing I don't see making the active roster.

I think the battle comes down between Vines and Savoy. I'd really like to see Savoy play in the preseason before I make this call. I see him making the PS if nothing else.

Regardless, the Lions now have 4 legit WRs. It's all a matter of health and productivity now.

May 11th, 2005, 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I agree with Pablo in that the only open spot at WR is #5. With the 3 muskateers, Johnson and Drummond @ 6 we only have 1 opening. I would like to see Vines in that spot. I liked what I saw from him last year and think he could really help us out. I wish that we would've been able to find a way to keep Swinton too.

May 11th, 2005, 9:33 am
Site Admin

I think that 5th spot is simple...who can return kicks/punts more effectively?

I know the RB White was brought in for that as well but it would be nice to see if Savoy or Kircus could fill the role as well. Who knows maybe they have plans on Stanley Wilson doing some returns as well.

I do not want Bly having to take it on if Drummond goes down though.

May 11th, 2005, 9:53 am
Profile WWW
All State

savoy does have experience returning kicks

Quote:
Savoy was honored by The Sporting News as a second-team All-American in 2004. He led the MWC in scoring with an average of 9.27 points per game, the 18th-best figure in the nation. He finished second on the team with 67 catches for 961 yards (14.3 avg) and 11 touchdowns. Savoy also scored six times on 22 carries for 307 yards (14.0 avg), and returned four kickoffs for 80 yards (20.0 avg) while also totaling 17 yards on three punt returns (5.7 avg).

For his career, Savoy hauled in 107 passes for 1624 yards (15.1 avg). His 18 touchdown catches rank fifth on the school's all-time record list. He added 342 yards with six scores on 27 carries (12.7 avg), 80 yards on four kickoff returns (20.0 avg) and 28 yards on five punt returns (5.6 avg) while starting 21 of 24 games.

May 11th, 2005, 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

...I do not want Bly having to take it on if Drummond goes down though.

I totaly agree with that.

May 11th, 2005, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Allow me to extend my welcome, bigfanoflions.

I think to this point most of the previous posters have listed their opinions. I agree with many, but I do have a question. You stated that you felt the Lions 'could have gotten better for a million bucks' in reference to Kevin Johnson. Who? Kevin Johnson may not be the player he was three years ago, but as a fourth receiver he can step in and be a factor. For someone with his credentials, I don't think a million for a one year contract is a bad deal at all. And remember, the Lions were paying him as their third receiver, not their fourth. The Lions had no idea they would be picking up Mike Williams in the draft.

Still think he was a bad deal?

Keep in mind that a team will usually pay a little more for a short term contract. Given the contracts that Stephen Alexander and Tai Streets got from the Lions, and their poor performances, the Lions got a BARGAIN with Kevin, IMHO.

As for the fifth receiver spot, I wish we would have kept Reggie Swinton around to fill that. He was a good backup to Drummond, as was under appreciated as a receiver here.
But since he is gone, I would vote for Vines. Kircus hasn't worked out and probably won't make an appreciable improvement this year. The Lions love his speed and abilities in practice, but he can't reproduce those attributes on Sundays.

I agree that Savoy should spend a year on practice squad and develop his talents before jumping to replace Johnson next year.

May 11th, 2005, 10:18 am
Towel Boy

about getting a better receiver for a million bucks I just meant that a a million bucks is a lot for a fourth receiver. but noting that they picked him up as a third not knowing about mike williams does make sense.

i also think we will be surprised when we see herzing play. i caught a couple europe games on nfl network last year and he is a good candidate for that 5th spot. i don't know who is better, but i think it will be between him and vines. whoever does better in preseason....................

savoy for sure needs a year to develop and will be on practice sqaud.

May 11th, 2005, 12:36 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I think that S. Vines has more of a chance of making that last spot than Kircus. I have always liked Dave's speed and the playmaking ability that he showed in school.

However, he didn't really seem to get much of a chance to play when our receiving corps was in shambles a couple of years ago. I don't know who to "blame" for that...Kircus for not stepping up, or the staff for not giving him more of a chance in practices or games. If I had to pick one, I would side with the coaches, as they would know more about player eval than I would.

Scotty seemed to get more of the reps, and has pretty good upside, so at this time I have to give him the edge.

I am pretty sure most all of us are in agreement about the top 4 and needing Eddie Drummond

May 11th, 2005, 1:12 pm
Baton Girl

Because of his ST ability, I think Vines would get the nod over Kircus. With the lack of time that they played Dave, you have to wonder why that was, is he that bad? Or do they feel that they had better options available?

May 11th, 2005, 3:38 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The 1st 4 positions are definately set with Roy, CRog, "BIG" Mike, and K. Johnson... The 5th spot will probable go to Scottie Vines, I really like this kid as hes a big physical guy and can play special teams with some skill, Kirkus needs to get cut and stay off of our team, he's going to be no one but a practice squad guy. We don't really need a 6th spot but Eddie is a WR so he'll be playing sixth spot, even if someone gets hurt he'll still be our 6th guy...

Michael Huff for DROY

May 11th, 2005, 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

I don't see where everone thinks Vines is so great. If you match him with Kircus, Kircus out played him last year. They both only had 3 receptions, Vines average per catch 17.0 yds. Kircus had 22.7 yds. and a TD. Vines or Kircus did not have any tackles on special teams. I am pretty sure Kircus has better speed and IMO has more upside. I think Vines is good to but to rate him better I just don't see it.

May 11th, 2005, 10:00 pm
Site Admin

Vines had 3 tackles in one year to Kircus having only 1 in his 2 years. Kircus had been through to much more than Vines has but Vines seemed to make catches...even if it were only 3 as a rookie. If Kircus couldn't make a dent when we were dying at WR over the last 2 years I doubt he really has a place here. Vines was a rookie and still has some upside.

May 11th, 2005, 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Vines had 3 tackles in one year to Kircus having only 1 in his 2 years. Kircus had been through to much more than Vines has but Vines seemed to make catches...even if it were only 3 as a rookie. If Kircus couldn't make a dent when we were dying at WR over the last 2 years I doubt he really has a place here. Vines was a rookie and still has some upside.

Agreed Alpha, I don't see what the love-fest with Kircus has been, he hasn't shown anything special that I can see.

May 12th, 2005, 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next