View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Renewed Running Game 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post The Renewed Running Game
During the second half of last season, KJ established himself finally as a worthwhile heir to Barry Sanders: a feature back with big play ability. Right when we established a model that is working we are throwing a big wrench into the 2 TE offense that KJ proved succesful in. These are several changes, whose's impact remains hard to judge.

1. Frequent utilization of the 3 WR set will put either the TE or FB on the bench. KJ will be running against nickel defenses, but probably without a lead blocker. Does this benefit his style? Remember, KJ was ineffective until the second half of the season. While this was injury and mooch related, it also coincided with a switch to the 2 TE as our base package. That does not figure to be the case this year.

2. Personnel changes at RT and LG have removed arguably 2 of Detroit's best 3 drive blockers from the starting line up. De Mulling is an upgrade in the passing game, and by all accounts a better puller who can get mauled at the line against bigger DTs. Whoever plays at RT, will not have the experience and strength of McDougle, who for all his faults was a talented if inconsistent drive blocker. Will this change in personnel diminish KJ's performance and necessitate changes in the playbook?

3. If the WRs remain healthy, the largest positive impact on KJ, will be that the three headed monster will require so much attention from defenses that they cannot scheme against KJ. Often last year he ran against not only 8 man fronts, but 8 men fronts very closely spaced in that box as well. If the passing game gets going KJ figures to be a primary beneficiary, having already revealed himself as both a good catcher and an excellent open field runner.

May 10th, 2005, 8:18 pm
Peewee Leaguer

I don't watch college football much but I "think" I read somewhere that KJ ran out of single back formations at VT. If true at least he has experience and success at a fairly high level at it. Besides I have to agree with the Williams brothers and C. Rogers on the field the opposing DCs are going to have nightmares, bye, bye 8 men in the box, bye, bye KJ for 80 yards off RT for the TD. I really can't wait for them to turn this O on!!!!!

May 10th, 2005, 8:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why not just drop the TE and put sledge in for our base package? On running downs with our 3 wrs, KingJones would almost be guarenteed 5 yards with sledge taking out the first guy.

May 10th, 2005, 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

If BMW can do a good job blocking downfield, I don't believe the 2nd TE will be missed that much. Time will tell.

May 11th, 2005, 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]