View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 3:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Backus still taking some heat... 
Junior Varsity

Post Backus still taking some heat...
Anyone read this? Thoughts?

The Detroit Lions are the only team in the NFL that hasn’t allowed a sack yet, which is very good news for Matthew Stafford, the franchise quarterback who has had trouble staying healthy in his first two NFL seasons.

But just because Stafford has been upright, that doesn’t necessarily mean all is well on the Lions’ offensive line.

In fact, although few people noticed it because the Lions abused the Chiefs 48-3, Chiefs defensive end Tamba Hali abused Lions left tackle Jeff Backus on Sunday. Hali hit Stafford just as Stafford was passing six times, and former NFL offensive lineman Mark Schlereth said on ESPN’s NFL Live today that he saw major problems with Backus when breaking down the tape of Sunday’s game.

“Don’t let stats get in the way of facts — don’t let them get in the way of your eyeballs,” Schlereth said. “There still are some concerns with this team when it comes to pass protection, and I have concerns about their left tackle.”

Backus is recovering from a pectoral injury and left the game against the Chiefs with a finger injury, so he may not be 100 percent healthy. But with the Lions facing Jared Allen and the Vikings on Sunday, they need Backus to have a better game than he had against the Chiefs.

September 22nd, 2011, 6:30 pm
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
Blah Blah Blah!

Fact is that he wasn't sacked and therefore he smoked the Chiefs!

That's like saying I would have won my fantasy game if I started <insert name>. Again woulda, shoulda, coulda... but didn't!

Backus will be fine, let's not forget that he did miss almost all of camp.

Geez what's the guy have to do to catch a break? :roll: "ZERO sacks in two games.

September 22nd, 2011, 7:02 pm
QB Coach

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Blah Blah Blah!

That's like saying I would have won my fantasy game if I started <insert name>. Again woulda, shoulda, coulda... but didn't!

Geez what's the guy have to do to catch a break? :roll: "ZERO sacks in two games.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. No sacks in two games doesn't mean everyone on the line has played well. There can still be weak spots or poor performances. Plus, if Stafford had made the smart play on two of them, there would be two sacks instead of two turnovers. So it's not like the line has been perfect. They've been passable, but like Schlereth said, don't let the stats blind your eyes.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 22nd, 2011, 7:57 pm
RIP Killer

I didn't get to watch Backus... but he's always been questionable or playing well. He flips back and forth.

September 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm
NFL Team Captain

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Blah Blah Blah!

Sorry, but I completely disagree. No sacks in two games doesn't mean everyone on the line has played well. There can still be weak spots or poor performances. Plus, if Stafford had made the smart play on two of them, there would be two sacks instead of two turnovers. So it's not like the line has been perfect. They've been passable, but like Schlereth said, don't let the stats blind your eyes.

Trust me, you can always play better, but again I say shoulda, woulda coulda. You can say "if this" and "if that" all day long, the facts are there are no sacks. I'm by no means saying the line is perfect, just saying the truth is the truth.

September 22nd, 2011, 11:10 pm
Junior Varsity

I don't think he's been as strong to this point as he was last year, though they did run for the majority of their rushing yards over the left side in the first game. I've always thought he gets a bad rap, and thought he had very good seasons the last two years. I'll chalk it up to the injury and missed camp time (and eleven years or so in the league) for now. It'll be easier to tell in a few games how he might look for the rest of the season. I'd bet on him to get back in front of things, though--heady guy, tough, has pride, just have to hope his body isn't too worn.

September 22nd, 2011, 11:27 pm
QB Coach

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Blah Blah Blah!

Trust me, you can always play better, but again I say shoulda, woulda coulda. You can say "if this" and "if that" all day long, the facts are there are no sacks. I'm by no means saying the line is perfect, just saying the truth is the truth.

Seems to me that you're trying to have it both ways. By saying that you recognize that the line hasn't been perfect, you're agreeing that there are places it can improve. Yet at the same time you're saying because they've given up no sacks they're immune to any criticism. I don't get it.

Look Backus hasn't played great. That is the truth. Hali was in on Stafford all day. Staff just got rid of the ball quickly. That's good play calling and good decision making by the qb. That doesn't mean the LT played better. The two have nothing to do with each other.

I'm not one who has been on the "get rid of backus" bandwagon. I think he has largely played well over the years and takes a bad rap. But so far this year, he hasn't been very good. It may be due to injury and/or age, but regardless, he hasn't played all that well. Simple as that.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 22nd, 2011, 11:29 pm
RIP Killer

At the same time, you can't say that whenever Hali hit Stafford it was because Backus failed to block well. A couple times Hali was coming from the other side of the line, or stunted inside and was not the man Backus had to block. They tend to move Tamba around in their defense to confuse the opposing QB.

September 22nd, 2011, 11:47 pm
NFL Team Captain

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Blah Blah Blah!

Seems to me that you're trying to have it both ways. By saying that you recognize that the line hasn't been perfect, you're agreeing that there are places it can improve. Yet at the same time you're saying because they've given up no sacks they're immune to any criticism. I don't get it.

Look Backus hasn't played great. That is the truth. Hali was in on Stafford all day. Staff just got rid of the ball quickly. That's good play calling and good decision making by the qb. That doesn't mean the LT played better. The two have nothing to do with each other.

I'm not one who has been on the "get rid of backus" bandwagon. I think he has largely played well over the years and takes a bad rap. But so far this year, he hasn't been very good. It may be due to injury and/or age, but regardless, he hasn't played all that well. Simple as that.

Never said that Backus played a great game, don't know where you got that? What I'm saying is (try to follow along) is simply that the line played well enough so that the Lions won the game and they allowed 0 sacks regardless of who you want to attribute it to. I simply believe that Backus will improve as time goes on. I'm sick of people trying to tear Backus down and I got so tired of hearing all the people that said it was imperative for Detroit to take a LT in the draft. It really only proved to me that they had not watched any Detroit Lions games last year.

So here we are this season and some jack-wagon is starting the Backus is trash crap again. Maybe I'm a little sensitive about the situation, I surely didn't mean to offend you because I'm overly sensitive about the Oline crap.

Again, I'm not saying they played great, but they damn sure played well enough so that Stafford didn't get sacked. Can they improve? Of course they can, just saying it was decent enough for the win and they didn't allow a sack.

Now... Have I explained myself or are you still confused?

September 22nd, 2011, 11:51 pm
NFL Team Captain

Something I forgot to address:

As far as sacks being a measurement?

For your information the Detroit Lions are the ONLY team in the NFL, that has not allowed a sack through the first two games.

If you like apples, how about them apples???

September 23rd, 2011, 12:00 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Backus allowed 6 QB hits in the KC game and did not even play the entire game.

How about them apples?

He could disappear and I would not miss him, that is for certain.

September 23rd, 2011, 12:32 am
Pro Bowl Player

FootballPhreak wrote:

How about them apples?

Yeh, lets put the back up in? that'll work out well.

September 23rd, 2011, 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Ferris wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

How about them apples?

Yeh, lets put the back up in? that'll work out well.

The backup allowed 0 QB hits.

September 23rd, 2011, 1:03 am
Pro Bowl Player

at left tackle?

September 23rd, 2011, 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Tamba Hali is a very good player and he was definetley late on a couple of those hits. I hate Backus too but as long as Matthew Stafford keeps surviving these games, I would'nt make any changes to the line. I WILL RESERVE ANY AND ALL JUDGEMENT ON JEFF BACKUS UNTIL AFTER OUR MONDAY NIGHT GAME.

September 23rd, 2011, 1:35 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next