View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:18 pm



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Backus still taking some heat... 
Author Message
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: January 18th, 2010, 7:54 am
Posts: 207
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
And all I am saying is that you guys are being blind to a possible option. Never even said it would work out or anything else, only that it might be worth a shot for one game while Backus is recovering from injury. The rest of you took the ball, ran with it, exaggerated everything and turned it into a Backus lovefest.


September 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
FootballPhreak wrote:
And all I am saying is that you guys are being blind to a possible option. Never even said it would work out or anything else, only that it might be worth a shot for one game while Backus is recovering from injury. The rest of you took the ball, ran with it, exaggerated everything and turned it into a Backus lovefest.



If there were a better option than Backus at LT, id be all for it. I think we all would be. But I think I speak for most of us in saying that there really isnt a BETTER option. I dont think its worth putting our offense at risk, and more importantly Stafford..especially not this week against Ware.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 30th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: January 18th, 2010, 7:54 am
Posts: 207
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
kdsberman wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
And all I am saying is that you guys are being blind to a possible option. Never even said it would work out or anything else, only that it might be worth a shot for one game while Backus is recovering from injury. The rest of you took the ball, ran with it, exaggerated everything and turned it into a Backus lovefest.



If there were a better option than Backus at LT, id be all for it. I think we all would be. But I think I speak for most of us in saying that there really isnt a BETTER option. I dont think its worth putting our offense at risk, and more importantly Stafford..especially not this week against Ware.

And you have ignored the fact that Hilliard has outplayed Backus.

It is at least an option and truly the risk to Stafford may be in keeping a 34 year old injured tackle in his decline and playing poorly on the field. You say there are no options and ignore what could turn out to be a great option or failure. Truth is you don't know until they are given the start. I know this - Hilliard and Cherilus would not have done any worse in the Minny game. Simply because they could not have. And you want to talk about risking Stafford? He took some real shots in that game.


September 30th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
FootballPhreak wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
And all I am saying is that you guys are being blind to a possible option. Never even said it would work out or anything else, only that it might be worth a shot for one game while Backus is recovering from injury. The rest of you took the ball, ran with it, exaggerated everything and turned it into a Backus lovefest.



If there were a better option than Backus at LT, id be all for it. I think we all would be. But I think I speak for most of us in saying that there really isnt a BETTER option. I dont think its worth putting our offense at risk, and more importantly Stafford..especially not this week against Ware.

And you have ignored the fact that Hilliard has outplayed Backus.

It is at least an option and truly the risk to Stafford may be in keeping a 34 year old injured tackle in his decline and playing poorly on the field. You say there are no options and ignore what could turn out to be a great option or failure. Truth is you don't know until they are given the start. I know this - Hilliard and Cherilus would not have done any worse in the Minny game. Simply because they could not have. And you want to talk about risking Stafford? He took some real shots in that game.



Ok let me get this straight. Because of ONE game, you want to base it off of that? And not even a full game? And the part of a game that is way out of reach anyway?

So lets say KVB comes out of a game after not getting any sacks, but Willie Young comes in and gets a sack or two. Based off of your "statistics", you would probably come on here and say that Young should start.

Unbelievable how you base your opinions.

And I BET YOU, if you could ask Stafford who he would want protecting his blind side, I bet his answer wears #76.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 30th, 2011, 6:14 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2799
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
But Gos did do worse. He completely missed assignments and was lost. Hilliard got bulldozed by Robison. He gave up 1 sack, where Backus gave up 1 sack on Allen. Sims and Pettigrew were the cause of the other two.

You can debate Hilliard outplaying Backus, but you don't risk your QB on a debatable situation. Your only basis to Hilliard outplaying Backus is that Hali had 2 pressures on the drive prior to Backus being sat down to rest. Where other than that limited sample of play can you base your argument on? And I'm not attacking you, I really want to know how your coming to the conclusion that Hilliard has outplayed Backus all season.


September 30th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
Quote:
You can debate Hilliard outplaying Backus, but you don't risk your QB on a debatable situation


Its funny, cuz Schwartz understands that and everyone else does, but this guy still cant seem to figure it out.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 30th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 875
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
m2karateman wrote:
<snip>
Are you sure you're not TheStrategyExpert revisited? Because that guy was exactly the same as you....nobody else knew what they were talking about, but he was never wrong.
<snip>


I had almoast forgotten about that guy. So true.


September 30th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3717
Location: WSU
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
none of the 3 tackles are much of anything lets just move on from this


September 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: January 18th, 2010, 7:54 am
Posts: 207
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
kdsberman wrote:
Quote:
You can debate Hilliard outplaying Backus, but you don't risk your QB on a debatable situation


Its funny, cuz Schwartz understands that and everyone else does, but this guy still cant seem to figure it out.

Can't figure out what? That it may or may not be a bad move? At least I don't claim to know for certain, and neither does Schwartz.


September 30th, 2011, 9:09 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2240
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
The Legend wrote:
none of the 3 tackles are much of anything lets just move on from this

sad but true. It's sad to think that Jason Fox may be our best tackle. When is he supposed to be back anyway?

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


September 30th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: January 18th, 2010, 7:54 am
Posts: 207
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
none of the 3 tackles are much of anything lets just move on from this

sad but true. It's sad to think that Jason Fox may be our best tackle. When is he supposed to be back anyway?

I wonder that also. You know how the FO is about releasing injury info though. And he still needs development either way. I really had high hopes for him when we drafted him though, so hopefully he works out. One of the things that was missing from the last regime were productive late round picks. Levy, Follett, SLH, ECT already prove this regime does a ton better than the last moron.


September 30th, 2011, 9:32 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
Unfortunately Fox can't stay healthy, so I wouldn't want to bet the future on him. At this point he is looking like a career back up.

Backus took a lot of un-just heat last year. I really thought that he had some gas in the tank and he still may, but perhaps his injury hasn't allowed him to get up to game speed or maybe his age is catching up with him, I don't know?

There is no doubt that he is the best option at LT. That's not even a question. I have to say that the end of Backus is drawing closer though.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm still pulling for the guy!

GO LIONS!

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


October 2nd, 2011, 9:55 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
FootballPhreak wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Quote:
You can debate Hilliard outplaying Backus, but you don't risk your QB on a debatable situation


Its funny, cuz Schwartz understands that and everyone else does, but this guy still cant seem to figure it out.

Can't figure out what? That it may or may not be a bad move? At least I don't claim to know for certain, and neither does Schwartz.


Don't sit there and tell us what Schwartz does or doesn't think, because none of us know. What we know is what Schwartz has told us. What we know is what he DOES every week, and that's put Jeff Backus out there as the starter at left tackle because he has said so often "you put the best players on the field". The idea of "experimenting" by putting Hilliard at left tackle in the midst of a winning streak is blatantly preposterous. Pressures, hits and sacks are going to happen. The team winning is what matters.

So quit trying to tell the rest of us Backus was removed from the KC game due to performance issues, when he was taken out to rest him, PER JIM SCHWARTZ. And quit trying to tell us that Hilliard is outplaying Backus, when the fact is that Backus has started every game because he's the best option at left tackle PER JIM SCHWARTZ.

I don't think anyone of us is saying that Hilliard playing at left tackle would be an utter debacle. What we are saying is that it would then force Gosder Cherilus to play right tackle, and he HAS BEEN an utter debacle. And putting Backus at RT isn't an option, because he hasn't played that spot in well over 15 years (including his college days at Michigan).

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 2nd, 2011, 10:46 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
Quote:
preposterous


M2, he apparently doesnt understand this whole thing they call football, so I wouldnt throw big words at him, you might REALLY confuse him.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 2nd, 2011, 11:18 am
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: January 18th, 2010, 7:54 am
Posts: 207
Post Re: Backus still taking some heat...
kdsberman wrote:
Quote:
preposterous


M2, he apparently doesnt understand this whole thing they call football, so I wouldnt throw big words at him, you might REALLY confuse him.

:lol:

That might hurt my feelings if he had a real point.


October 2nd, 2011, 1:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rao and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.