View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 blitz question 
Varsity Captain

Post blitz question
I havent been able to study any film.. have we been getting blitzed at all?? staff did get hit a few times. who is looking best/ worst on blitzes?

September 24th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: blitz question
Don't mean anything bad by this, but how can ordinary people like ourselves "study film"?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 24th, 2011, 8:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
Don't mean anything bad by this, but how can ordinary people like ourselves "study film"?

You can get coaches film from NFL.com. It's in one of the links from here:http://www.nfl.com/videos

I don't know which one though. I thinki it is the individual teams videos. But, there is a whole group of people that listen to Sirius NFL radio that download the videos every week and study it. Pat Kirwan wrote a book that teaches you how to study football. The name of his book is: " How to watch football by taking your eyes off the Ball". I think he has the exact link to the coaches film in his book.

September 24th, 2011, 9:00 pm
Team MVP

Thanks Billy, ill have to look into it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

September 24th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Varsity Captain

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

You can get coaches film from NFL.com. It's in one of the links from here:http://www.nfl.com/videos

I don't know which one though. I thinki it is the individual teams videos. But, there is a whole group of people that listen to Sirius NFL radio that download the videos every week and study it. Pat Kirwan wrote a book that teaches you how to study football. The name of his book is: " How to watch football by taking your eyes off the Ball". I think he has the exact link to the coaches film in his book.

i usually just watch the games after i dvr them.. but thanks Billy! i am gonna check it out too.
usually just wanna see if we are controlling the line of scrimmage. our D line usually has a good push, but i wanted to see how our o-line was doing.. i checked the other backus post and it sounds like he was getting owned.. couldnt tell by the scorebaord + the beers :cheers: ill take backus getting owned, but not allowing a sack or penalties ALL DAY LONG. just win works fine for me.

September 24th, 2011, 9:27 pm
RIP Killer

What gets me is the heat Backus is getting....I'm not his biggest fan by a longshot, but people getting on his back already is ridiculous.

He's not given up a sack
He's was facing an ELITE pass rusher in Tamba Hali
He missed camp with an injury
His injury is NOT fully healed

What more do you want from the guy? People say "well, Stafford's quick release makes Backus look good". Well, not every play has Stafford getting rid of the ball in two seconds. Long passes take considerably more time, and Stafford STILL hasn't been sacked despite some of those.

QB hits and pressures are GOING TO HAPPEN. Stafford is going to get hit. Just accept it. As long as he's not getting pile driven into the ground, things should work out fine.

September 24th, 2011, 11:50 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

m2karateman wrote:
What gets me is the heat Backus is getting....I'm not his biggest fan by a longshot, but people getting on his back already is ridiculous.

He's not given up a sack

What more do you want from the guy? People say "well, Stafford's quick release makes Backus look good". Well, not every play has Stafford getting rid of the ball in two seconds. Long passes take considerably more time, and Stafford STILL hasn't been sacked despite some of those.

QB hits and pressures are GOING TO HAPPEN. Stafford is going to get hit. Just accept it. As long as he's not getting pile driven into the ground, things should work out fine.

Sure, they will happen. but when they happen at a 27% rate from a single position, that is beyond alarming. Especially when the backup moves over from RT and does much better against the same players.

September 24th, 2011, 11:54 pm
RIP Killer

FootballPhreak wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

He's not given up a sack

Sure, they will happen. but when they happen at a 27% rate from a single position, that is beyond alarming. Especially when the backup moves over from RT and does much better against the same players.

No, it's not alarming. How many sacks and hits do you expect from interior pass rushers? Far, far less than that of the edge rushers. And typically the teams best pass rusher is going to line up over the left tackle, to attack the QBs blind side. Therefore, a team should expect that most of the pressure will come from there.

Also, the backup came in late in the game when it was out of hand. It is easier to stop a pass rusher at that point. They are tired, and they've lost motivation.

Backus is not an elite left tackle, we all know this. We also know he's playing with an injury that affects his overall ability.

But, if you think for one second that Hilliard is a better option, than you are telling all of us you know more than Schwartz or Linehan....and I highly doubt that is the case.

September 25th, 2011, 7:39 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

He's not given up a sack

No, it's not alarming. How many sacks and hits do you expect from interior pass rushers? Far, far less than that of the edge rushers. And typically the teams best pass rusher is going to line up over the left tackle, to attack the QBs blind side. Therefore, a team should expect that most of the pressure will come from there.

Also, the backup came in late in the game when it was out of hand. It is easier to stop a pass rusher at that point. They are tired, and they've lost motivation.

Backus is not an elite left tackle, we all know this. We also know he's playing with an injury that affects his overall ability.

But, if you think for one second that Hilliard is a better option, than you are telling all of us you know more than Schwartz or Linehan....and I highly doubt that is the case.

I agree. Well said M2. If Hilliard was the better option in all circumstances, dont ya think Schwartz would put HIM in over Backus?

September 25th, 2011, 8:52 am
Heisman Winner

I really laugh at this dudes numbers regarding pressure. I don't agree with the argument back that he's not getting sacked so the pressure doesn't matter though, but the fact is we aren't making any mistakes due to that pressure. If Stafford was getting hit and throwing 5 interceptions a game then yeah 27% of whatever stat you posted would actually matter. I don't care if he gets hit 100% of the time, if he throws for 4 TD a game then the o line obviously has done their jobs....

September 25th, 2011, 9:29 am
Team MVP

hamma77 wrote:
I really laugh at this dudes numbers regarding pressure. I don't agree with the argument back that he's not getting sacked so the pressure doesn't matter though, but the fact is we aren't making any mistakes due to that pressure. If Stafford was getting hit and throwing 5 interceptions a game then yeah 27% of whatever stat you posted would actually matter. I don't care if he gets hit 100% of the time, if he throws for 4 TD a game then the o line obviously has done their jobs....

I agree, and I also dont think the coaching staff is looking at it the other way either. We're winning. What is better than getting a W at the end of the day. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Look, its not like anybody has Backus on their fantasy team or anything. Until Backus, or anyone on the line, is playing poorly enough to negatively affect Stafford and the offense as a whole, Im not gonna sit and trash talk Backus.

Like Hamma77 said, its not like Stafford is making mistakes because of that pressure. Hes gonna eventually, but thats football.

The Lions havent even been as good as average the past how many years, so we should be used to having flaws in our game. So now that we're potentially a very good team, were gonna sit and complain about something that IMO hasnt really even affected this team negatively?

I understand completly that the line needs to block a little better, especially for the fact that we CANNOT lose Stafford this year. Trust me, I know. But i know one thing, im more of a Raiola hater than a Backus hater. Im more of a Peterman hater. Heck, with the first game, im more of a Cherilus hater.

Im sure Backus knows he has to improve upon last weeks performance. He's a professional, he understands that. So lets see how todays game goes, and if he plays really poorly, than we might have a discussion.

Lions 20 Vikings 17

September 25th, 2011, 9:42 am
Pro Bowl Player

m2karateman wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

He's not given up a sack

Killer always spoke highly of Backus and he was pretty honest about all players abilities. Without committing a penalty or playing dirty it's hard to ask for more than a second a two from a left tackle. Some forumers' IMHO get tunnel vision. Try saying crazy things like Joey Harrington is the next John Elway because they were so close STATISTICALLY through the first two seasons. There are lies, damn lies , then statistics. You can't fix stupid so let's just say that If Backus is worth a damn he'll start his 163rd nfl game in a row today. 163 games with garbage #-o NFL coaches are soooo stupid (apologies for the satire)

September 25th, 2011, 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

m2karateman wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

He's not given up a sack

If a SINGLE player is giving up more pressures than most ENTIRE lines. That is very telling, and very concerning. And if that does not concern you, then all I can say is that I am glad you are not in a coaching position on the Lions.

And Hilliard had played all game and was just as tired as your tired pass rusher, so that is a moot point. I never said I knew more than anyone, I said it is concerning. And you are fooling yourself if you don't think that concerns the coaching staff as well.

September 25th, 2011, 10:04 am
RIP Killer

Backus was getting beat pretty bad by Hali all last game. The only reason stafford wasn't planted a dozen times was because KC had little pressure on the right side and staff rolled right under pressure.

September 25th, 2011, 10:32 am
Player of the Year - Defense

6 hits out of 39 pass attempts = 15%, not 27.

September 25th, 2011, 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next