View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 8:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 blitz question 
RIP Killer

Post Re: blitz question
FootballPhreak wrote:
If a SINGLE player is giving up more pressures than most ENTIRE lines. That is very telling, and very concerning. And if that does not concern you, then all I can say is that I am glad you are not in a coaching position on the Lions.

And Hilliard had played all game and was just as tired as your tired pass rusher, so that is a moot point. I never said I knew more than anyone, I said it is concerning. And you are fooling yourself if you don't think that concerns the coaching staff as well.

First of all, where do you get that Backus is giving up more pressures than entire offensive lines of other teams? Provide some data and not your opinion.

Secondly, if you were the coach, what the Hell would you do? Start Hilliard ahead of Backus? Leave Cherilus in the game instead? Thank God YOU are not the coach, if that is the case.

Thirdly, I didn't say Hali was JUST tired, did I smart guy? I also said the game was out of reach, and his motivation was gone. That has far more affect on a persons lack of adrenaline and drive than how long they've played.

I never said the coaching staff wasn't, or shouldn't be, concerned with Backus. I never said he was a premier left tackle. All of us, except seemingly you, are saying that Backus is currently our best option at left tackle. Until you can come up with a workable alternative, all your stats and opinions mean absolutely zero.

September 25th, 2011, 8:31 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
He's not given up a sack

Nice work mike!

FYI - not everyone needs rosey glasses. If I can see the guy getting beat regularly, that's fine. We have no better options, I understand that. I'm not calling for him to be benched (unless he keeps this sh!tstream from today going the next couple weeks). However,it is alarming and makes me want them to take a LT on the first day next year

September 25th, 2011, 9:41 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
You can get coaches film from NFL.com. It's in one of the links from here:http://www.nfl.com/videos

I don't know which one though. I thinki it is the individual teams videos. But, there is a whole group of people that listen to Sirius NFL radio that download the videos every week and study it. Pat Kirwan wrote a book that teaches you how to study football. The name of his book is: " How to watch football by taking your eyes off the Ball". I think he has the exact link to the coaches film in his book.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wanted to ask a question about this. I've been trying to find the coaches film for the last game, but I haven't been able to locate it. I've found a bunch of links saying that the NFL doesn't release coaches films to the public. So, I'm wondering if Billy can tell me if he's found these films, and if so, where exactly are they? I've searched the NFL.com/videos site and haven't been able to find it. So Billy, do you know where these are located at?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 25th, 2011, 10:59 am
QB Coach

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
You can get coaches film from NFL.com. It's in one of the links from here:http://www.nfl.com/videos

I don't know which one though. I thinki it is the individual teams videos. But, there is a whole group of people that listen to Sirius NFL radio that download the videos every week and study it. Pat Kirwan wrote a book that teaches you how to study football. The name of his book is: " How to watch football by taking your eyes off the Ball". I think he has the exact link to the coaches film in his book.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wanted to ask a question about this. I've been trying to find the coaches film for the last game, but I haven't been able to locate it. I've found a bunch of links saying that the NFL doesn't release coaches films to the public. So, I'm wondering if Billy can tell me if he's found these films, and if so, where exactly are they? I've searched the NFL.com/videos site and haven't been able to find it. So Billy, do you know where these are located at?

Nevermind. As soon as I posted this, I found it. It's part of the NFL Game Rewind and you have to pay for it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 25th, 2011, 11:02 am
Varsity Captain

Just so you know, the Niners blitzed one time all game.

October 25th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Team MVP

49ers wrote:

Thanks (I guess?) (Wasnt the Niners game like 2 matchups ago?)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 25th, 2011, 3:28 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I don't know where they are. I don't have time to study them even if I wanted to. You would have to call the Moving the Chains show, if you have Sirius/XM, or buy Pat Kirwan's book. I just know the film is available. I do think you have to buy it though.

October 27th, 2011, 9:31 am
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I don't know where they are. I don't have time to study them even if I wanted to. You would have to call the Moving the Chains show, if you have Sirius/XM, or buy Pat Kirwan's book. I just know the film is available. I do think you have to buy it though.

I found it. See my post above about NFL Rewind.

But it's not the entire game. It's select plays. Not quite everything, but it's not bad.

October 27th, 2011, 10:37 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
kdsberman wrote:
49ers wrote:

Why is he still here?

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 28th, 2011, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
49ers wrote:

Why is he still here?

Because he's a knowledgable poster who acted like a human being when the Lions and 49ers game was being discussed, both before and after the actual game. He's more than welcome to be here.

October 28th, 2011, 12:25 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
m2karateman wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
49ers wrote:

Why is he still here?

Because he's a knowledgable poster who acted like a human being when the Lions and 49ers game was being discussed, both before and after the actual game. He's more than welcome to be here.

Well no kidding on he can stay, but usually most fans leave after a couple days.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 28th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Well no kidding on he can stay, but usually most fans leave after a couple days.

Understood, but there was a mutual respect between many of us and some of the 49er fans. Most of them left, but some continue to post here. Some had said that the 49er website they typically posted on was overcrowded and has some riff raff in there that made it difficult to be part of.

October 28th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Back on topic...

What we have to determine is what constitutes QB pressure. Someone within X feet of QB? Forcing the QB to move a few steps? Its all subjective. If the QB rolls out, even with no pressure, its listed as a QB pressure.

Including Week 7

Backus : 467 Snaps. 20 QB Pressures. 3 Hits. 6 Sacks.
Gos : 354 snaps. 7 QB Pressures. 3 Hits. 2 Sacks.
Hilliard: 147 snaps. 2 QB pressures. 4 hits. 1 Sack.
Peterman: 484 snaps. 4 QB Pressures. 3 Hits. 0 Sacks.
Sims: 484 snaps. 7 QB Pressures. 4 Hits. 1 Sack.
Raoila: 479 snaps. 2 Pressures. 0 Hits. 1 Sack.

3 Tackles gave up more pressures than Backus. 8 Tackles gave up more hits. 1 has given up more sacks.
28 more guards have given up more pressures than Sims's 7. 17 more guards have given up more hits than Peterman's 4. 17 more guards have given up more sacks.
All but 5 centers gave up more pressures than Dom. All but 13 centers gave up more hits. Most are tied, but 5 have given up more Sacks.

Just an FYI, just like when they credit a sack to the closest person, they credit a sack to the tackle or guard that player lined up on, even when the QB leaves the pocket and runs into the sack.

The numbers look bad on Backus, and he hasn't been playing well, but you also have to look at certain games. Certain games he's played well, others not so well. 0 Sacks against TB, KC, Dallas and Chicago. 2 against Minnesota, 3 Against San Fran and 1 against Atlanta. But of course he looks worse than usual, because he only gave up 33 Pressures and 4 sacks in all of last year.

I'm not being an apologist and saying that any of the problems aren't related to the line, because they could definitely be better, but its a coaching and scheming problem that is happening. In 2008 and 2009, Backus gave up a lot fewer pressures, but more sacks (10 & 8 respectively). So in that sense, they're improving, because the players are getting close, but not reaching Stafford, except for this year in those 3 games. The coaching problem now, is on Stafford. The line has been doing the same things, but in the last 2 weeks, he hasn't been playing the same. His throwing motion is off, his mechanics are off and its costing the team. He had CJ wide open on a slant into the endzone and threw behind him because he threw off his back leg. That's not the OL's fault.

If we had a better OL, yes, we would be a much better and complete team. But even with the current OL, we still should have won the last 2 games.

October 28th, 2011, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer

Interesting stuff. But it can be misleading. I'll give an example:

In the Minnesota game, Jared Allen got a sack on a stunt. He lined up over Backus, but stunted inside while Kevin Willians drove Rob Sims to the outside. Backus picked up Williams, which he was supposed to do because Williams was getting into his zone. Sims should have disengaged and slid inside where he would have picked up Jared Allen. Sims did not do that, and Stafford got sacked. That sack was probably one against Backus, but it shouldn't have been.

Like you, I am not being an apologist. Backus hasn't played well, at all. If you look strictly at the numbers, it says that Peterman has played better than Sims. That is a falsehood. Peterman more often gets help from Raiola, or from the back kept in to block.

October 29th, 2011, 10:22 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Oh I agree. Backus was still responsible for 2 of those sacks. Jared got 3. Sims did get credited for the one. 2 were from Robison on Gos and Hilliard. And yes the numbers are very misleading, but telling. Peterman has done better than Sims in the passing game, but in the running game its a mirror image. The left side remains the best side to run, just like last year. But when teams know that you can beat Peterman and Gos 1 on 1 in the running game, its easy to stack more to the left side and make the running game a pot luck of breaking anything.

Biggest improvements in the line would be to replace Petermann, then Backus followed by Raoila, but due to our possible position in the draft, G or C is going to be the only value pick unless we end up trading up.

October 29th, 2011, 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next