View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 11:19 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions Vs. ViQueens. 
National Champion

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions Vs. ViQueens.
slybri19 wrote:
Well, atleast they won, and that's something to be hopeful for. In the past, they would have given up and the comeback would not have been possible. In the end, a win is a win, and you take it no matter how you can get it.

While I would have liked to have seen better OL play, better communication between Stafford and the receivers, and better tackling on defense, it wasn't meant to be today. They still Freaking won and that's all that matters. I just hope that they can work on and improve on those issues though.

Ok, I'm not gonna desput the lack of running game, or the O-Line problems, or SLH... but Stafford completed nearly 70% of his passes yesterday. What the hell do you want?

Also, we are 3-0...for the first time I can remember (I was only 6 years old in 1980). We are winning. We overcame a 20-0 deficiet, and cameout on top. Haven't played anyone? Um, TB dosn't look all that bad at 2-1. KC nearly beat the Chargers yesterday, and the Vikes...well, they've had early leads in every game. It's like some of you can't even be happy when we win. You are so geared to be misrible you couldn't be happy when we are on top. Are we going 16-0? I doubt it, but dang we really could win 10 or dare I say 11 games this year.

My point is, let the coaches beat our players up for mistakes...why can't we, as fans, just enjoy a win, for once...

September 26th, 2011, 8:59 am
Team MVP

Hystrix wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Well, atleast they won, and that's something to be hopeful for. In the past, they would have given up and the comeback would not have been possible. In the end, a win is a win, and you take it no matter how you can get it.

While I would have liked to have seen better OL play, better communication between Stafford and the receivers, and better tackling on defense, it wasn't meant to be today. They still Freaking won and that's all that matters. I just hope that they can work on and improve on those issues though.

Ok, I'm not gonna desput the lack of running game, or the O-Line problems, or SLH... but Stafford completed nearly 70% of his passes yesterday. What the hell do you want?

Also, we are 3-0...for the first time I can remember (I was only 6 years old in 1980). We are winning. We overcame a 20-0 deficiet, and cameout on top. Haven't played anyone? Um, TB dosn't look all that bad at 2-1. KC nearly beat the Chargers yesterday, and the Vikes...well, they've had early leads in every game. It's like some of you can't even be happy when we win. You are so geared to be misrible you couldn't be happy when we are on top. Are we going 16-0? I doubt it, but dang we really could win 10 or dare I say 11 games this year.

My point is, let the coaches beat our players up for mistakes...why can't we, as fans, just enjoy a win, for once...

Well said.

I can see where we need improvements just as much as the next guy, but the important thing is we get a win. It doesnt matter how we do it, if we win thats about all that matters.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 26th, 2011, 9:21 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Well said.

I can see where we need improvements just as much as the next guy, but the important thing is we get a win. It doesnt matter how we do it, if we win thats about all that matters.

I agree with both of you. I'm tired of reading about the Backus bashing, tired of reading about the complaints about no running game.

The Lions are winning. Good teams find a way to win when they play bad games. In years past the Lions could have played their absolute best game, and still lost yesterday.

Be happy with the results on the scoreboard.

September 26th, 2011, 9:32 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

while the first half kinda turned my stomach, sundays game proved we are looking at a whole new team of Lions. the "same old" NEVER would have come back like that to win the game. I am VERY excited about this teams future!

September 26th, 2011, 12:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

As others have said... I was impressed by the way we came back and won the game. The OLD Lions, wouldn't of done that. Goes to show that confidence and swagger this team has on both sides of the ball to get it done.

Also, for us to play IMO one of our worst games so far this season and STILL win... that speaks VOLUMES to me.

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 26th, 2011, 1:31 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
steensn wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
The only one doing anything in pass protection was Sims

GO BUCKS!

I don't know where the original post came from, but it was Sims that missed the block on Jared Allen's second sack on Stafford, not Backus. Allen stunted inside, and that is Sims protection zone.

In fairness, the DT who was supposed to bounce outside initially was locked up by sims and was getting handled by him. Is Sims supposed to just drop his man (the beast known as kevin Williams) and pick up Allen? I guess it is sims fault that he handled Williams pretty well and locked onto him without him being able to move more than a foot

September 26th, 2011, 5:20 pm
RIP Killer

I'd love to see the play, anyone got a youtube video?

September 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
steensn wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

GO BUCKS!

I don't know where the original post came from, but it was Sims that missed the block on Jared Allen's second sack on Stafford, not Backus. Allen stunted inside, and that is Sims protection zone.

In fairness, the DT who was supposed to bounce outside initially was locked up by sims and was getting handled by him. Is Sims supposed to just drop his man (the beast known as kevin Williams) and pick up Allen? I guess it is sims fault that he handled Williams pretty well and locked onto him without him being able to move more than a foot

Actually, the answer to your question is yes. Sims is supposed to recognize the stunt, chip the DT to Backus, then pickup the DE twisting to the inside. Sims locked onto the DT, which is fine, but the DT was purposely taking him outside. Sims should have recognized that and disengaged once Backus got involved.

September 26th, 2011, 5:23 pm
RIP Killer

m2k is likely right on this one. It at least sounds like he is.

September 26th, 2011, 5:25 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

steensn wrote:
I'd love to see the play, anyone got a youtube video?

I saw it on NFL.com's highlight video. it was the first option.

And there is no way that sack can be put on Backus. M2K called it correctly.

September 26th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Hystrix wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

My bad, I thought message boards were a source of debate about our favorite teams......Oh wait.... IT IS.

September 26th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

steensn wrote:
m2k is likely right on this one. It at least sounds like he is.

He's definitely right. Sims has to pass his man off to Backus and pick up the DE.

September 26th, 2011, 6:17 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
steensn wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

GO BUCKS!

Actually, the answer to your question is yes. Sims is supposed to recognize the stunt, chip the DT to Backus, then pickup the DE twisting to the inside. Sims locked onto the DT, which is fine, but the DT was purposely taking him outside. Sims should have recognized that and disengaged once Backus got involved.

I understand mike, but he was locked up pretty damn good with Williams, who had pads and jersey. Sims engaged williams first and had a great initial block. Just dumping a 300 pound monster of a DT is not easy. If sims would have, there's no way he would have got Allen. Problem is, sims made a damn fine block on Williams and it led to a sack (especially when it was clear raiola wanted no part of Williams the entire game and would constantly block down away from him). Its unfortunate that it led to a sack, but backus did nothing other than to turn Williams out and not try to force him down inside towards raiola, like he could have when he realized Allen was stunting down. Backus didn't do anything to help the play except make Allens hole to stafford bigger... Backus could have blown the gap down by pushing Williams into Allen, but he was too slow off the snap to do so, whereas sims already had a great block on williams going

September 26th, 2011, 6:37 pm
League MVP

its both of the OL fault moreso Sims than Backus but without a doubt a great job by the Vikings DL. The stunt play the way they ran it is a way to get away with defensive holding where a DL will pull an OL out of position to open up a blitz lane for a LB. What they did was legal though and very effective against 5 step drop passes but can get you hosed on runs or 3 step pass plays,. im not ready to be angry at our line for that one.

September 27th, 2011, 4:59 am
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
I understand mike, but he was locked up pretty damn good with Williams, who had pads and jersey. Sims engaged williams first and had a great initial block. Just dumping a 300 pound monster of a DT is not easy. If sims would have, there's no way he would have got Allen. Problem is, sims made a damn fine block on Williams and it led to a sack (especially when it was clear raiola wanted no part of Williams the entire game and would constantly block down away from him). Its unfortunate that it led to a sack, but backus did nothing other than to turn Williams out and not try to force him down inside towards raiola, like he could have when he realized Allen was stunting down. Backus didn't do anything to help the play except make Allens hole to stafford bigger... Backus could have blown the gap down by pushing Williams into Allen, but he was too slow off the snap to do so, whereas sims already had a great block on williams going

With all due respect, there was NOTHING Backus could have done on that play. He did what he was supposed to, and that was block his area. Sims allowed himself to be taken out of his area, which is HIS mistake, not Backus'. And let me correct you, Sims did NOT have a great block going, but rather allowed himself to be taken out of the space he was supposed to maintain. You can't expect Backus to get around both Sims and Williams to get to Jared Allen, and Backus isn't supposed to take him man back inside. He is expected to keep taking Williams to the outside, away from the action.

Look, Backus had a poor game...I'm not disputing that. But just because Jared Allen got sacks doesn't mean it was automatically the fault of Jeff Backus. If he doesn't do his job, I'll call him out for it, as I've done in the past. But don't pat Sims on the back, when in fact he is the one that gave Allen a free shot on Stafford. Sims screwed up there.

September 27th, 2011, 9:12 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next