View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Play Calling on 1st down 
Junior Varsity

Post Play Calling on 1st down
Anyone know the stats on how many times we ran 44 on 1st down? He had a tough day and I would think we would have gotten away from the running play on 1st down as it usually resulted in minus yards.

Was it that we have just that poor of pss protection that we run on first down regardless of the results?

Thanks for the input guys.

September 26th, 2011, 7:46 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Play Calling on 1st down
Not sure what the numbers are but it looked to be way too much. Throw in a play action a little more frequent. They became far too predictable.

September 27th, 2011, 12:07 am
RIP Killer

Seeing as we only ran the ball 19 times the entire game, I'm going to have to disagree with the notion we ran the ball too much on first down.

Look, I want to see the Lions mix it up a bit as well, but they have to try and get a run game going....if not for this game, at least for the next few games coming up. I don't know what changed last season when Mo Morris was getting 100 yards on the ground the last few weeks, but the Lions need to rediscover what they were doing right, and repeat it.

Right now, the offensive line is doing just a HORRIBLE job of run blocking. Not just Backus, or Peterman, but ALL of them. If the Lions go strictly one dimensional, this team won't even come close to making the playoffs.

September 27th, 2011, 9:00 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I don't have as much of a problem with the number of runs on first down as I do the types of runs they stubbornly stick to. Since Best is a smaller, quicker RB, why do they insist upon running him up the middle or off tackle? They should allow him to utilize his speed more by running sweeps with pitches and stretch plays more often. Get him to the outside as quickly as possible. I'm not saying to abandom the inside game entirely since you have to keep the defense honest, but ya gotta play to your strengths.

September 27th, 2011, 3:59 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Schwartz is playing to their strengths. What do teams look at when judging teams? Film which produces tendencies. By doing the short yards that look fruitless, he's letting teams build up looks at the film so when they see a certain formation, they start thinking run middle. As the year goes on, they slowly start adding different plays off the same formations which confuses defenses. It might suck stat wise, but it keeps the clock running, and you have to remember that Schwartz is a strategical minded coach. Those little running plays don't amount to much right now, but later in the season when a defense has about 5 seconds to anticipate what the play will be, the first thing that will pop into their head will be the play run the most often, not necessarily the play they ran most successfully.

And don't forget that Linehan sticks to the gameplan. He allows Stafford to switch the calls, but even with the bad first half against Minnesota, Linehan stuck with the gameplan in the second half and it produced results. Every play is a setup to the next one.

September 27th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Junior Varsity

njroar wrote:
As the year goes on, they slowly start adding different plays off the same formations which confuses defenses...

Nobody seems all that confused regarding what we're doing on first down. I'd really like to find that stats regarding the percentage of time we run on first down. I'd venture it's at least 85% of the time.

October 24th, 2011, 6:07 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
njroar wrote:
As the year goes on, they slowly start adding different plays off the same formations which confuses defenses...

Nobody seems all that confused regarding what we're doing on first down. I'd really like to find that stats regarding the percentage of time we run on first down. I'd venture it's at least 85% of the time.

At least 85%, I understand why we run on first down but we don't have to do it everytime. I see us always being 2nd and 8 or 9. Its easy for the defense because then we have to pass to get the first down.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 26th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Lions2SB2 wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
njroar wrote:

At least 85%, I understand why we run on first down but we don't have to do it everytime. I see us always being 2nd and 8 or 9. Its easy for the defense because then we have to pass to get the first down.

The NFL tracks this statistic. Detroit runs on 1st down 18.2% of the time. 18%!!! Guess that shows you that perception doesn't always equal reality.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

October 26th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The last game proved we should be using a running-back-by-committee system, even when Best comes back. We can run if we make it a priority/spread out the carries based on the situation.

October 26th, 2011, 8:50 pm
NFL Team Captain

slybri19 wrote:
I don't have as much of a problem with the number of runs on first down as I do the types of runs they stubbornly stick to. Since Best is a smaller, quicker RB, why do they insist upon running him up the middle or off tackle? They should allow him to utilize his speed more by running sweeps with pitches and stretch plays more often. Get him to the outside as quickly as possible. I'm not saying to abandom the inside game entirely since you have to keep the defense honest, but ya gotta play to your strengths.

I agree with this. I have wondered why we weren't trying to get Best to the outside. Pettigrew and CJ are great blockers down field and surely we could pull a guard to seal the edge? Best is going to get killed running up the middle, besides our Oline is not explosive enough to blow out the opposing Dline straight out up the middle.

October 26th, 2011, 9:46 pm
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
njroar wrote:

The NFL tracks this statistic. Detroit runs on 1st down 18.2% of the time. 18%!!! Guess that shows you that perception doesn't always equal reality.

Ummmm....that 18.2% doesn't represent the amount of times they rush on first down. It represents the amount of their total rushes that RESULT in a first down. Big difference.

October 26th, 2011, 9:55 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

TDJ, maybe you should read this:
"According to STATS LLC research after Sunday's games, the Lions have rushed 50.8% on first down this season (15th most among 32 teams). On second down, they have rushed the second least at 34.2%. On third down, they have rushed less than anyone in the NFL at 9.5%."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111026/SPORTS01/110260348/1049/rss14

Now I will admit it seems they run it a lot more than that on first down to me but it's a far cry from 18%

October 27th, 2011, 12:00 am
QB Coach

My bad. I misinterpreted the statistic. Sorry.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

October 27th, 2011, 7:43 am
Junior Varsity

lionsfanak wrote:
On third down, they have rushed less than anyone in the NFL at 9.5%."

What i take from this is that we are typically in a 3rd and long and not in the position to run.

October 27th, 2011, 10:11 am
RIP Killer

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
lionsfanak wrote:
On third down, they have rushed less than anyone in the NFL at 9.5%."

What i take from this is that we are typically in a 3rd and long and not in the position to run.

It's not just that. They've thrown in 3rd and 2, or 3rd and 3 situations. That means Linehan has no trust in the running game on third down.

I know the other day Jim Schwartz said that the Lions need to start getting first downs more often, before facing third down. I would hope that the Lions would start coming up with some play calls that can get them 3 yards, whether by running or passing, when they need it...whether it be 2nd down or 3rd down.

What is all comes down to is that the Lions are VERY predictable on second and third downs.

October 27th, 2011, 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next