View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Titus Young 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Titus Young
Ferris wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
This kid is really impressive. He's playing like a veteran and really seems to be on the fast track to becoming an impact player for the Lions. I hope he keeps it up!

I love it, he is such a nice compliment to the other Lions receivers and looks the part of the real deal. He was honestly one of my least favorite draft picks. His play has been stellar, and he is building that confidence between himself and the QB.

I blew a gasket when the Lions drafted Titus. I wanted a CB. I'll take my crow smothered in Bar BQ sauce please. He catches everything. I think a great nick name for him would be Big Top. Because he makes some serious Circus stunt Catches. LOL. I love it when a player proves me wrong in a good way. LOL.

September 27th, 2011, 9:27 pm
Varsity Captain

BillySims wrote:
Ferris wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
This kid is really impressive. He's playing like a veteran and really seems to be on the fast track to becoming an impact player for the Lions. I hope he keeps it up!

I love it, he is such a nice compliment to the other Lions receivers and looks the part of the real deal. He was honestly one of my least favorite draft picks. His play has been stellar, and he is building that confidence between himself and the QB.

I blew a gasket when the Lions drafted Titus. I wanted a CB. I'll take my crow smothered in Bar BQ sauce please. He catches everything. I think a great nick name for him would be Big Top. Because he makes some serious Circus stunt Catches. LOL. I love it when a player proves me wrong in a good way. LOL.

Titus "Big Top" Young...

that most certainly does have a ring to it :cheers:

September 28th, 2011, 1:30 am
QB Coach

Not to take your thunder or lightning Billy, but what about adjusting your monaker to "Big Time."

He makes Big Time catches, in the Big Time NFL, and it hurst the opposing defenses Big Time, plus it flows better.

Titus "Big Time" Young, which is kind of fitting if you look at his smallish frame, but Big Time deeds standing next to MEGATRON!

Just a thought...

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 28th, 2011, 8:42 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Titus Young is Spiderman.

September 28th, 2011, 9:47 am
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Titus Young proving to be addition to offense Detroit Lions were hoping for

When Titus Young's name was called as the Detroit Lions' second-round pick in April's NFL draft, some Lions fans were vexed with the decision to select the wide receiver out of Boise State.

The team already had all-world receiver Calvin Johnson, as well as Nate Burleson in the slot. Sure, a third receiver would be nice, but why not go for a linebacker or cornerback? Both positions were considered more pressing needs at the time.

But general manager Martin Mayhew and the Lions saw value in the 5-foot-11, 174-pound speedster, who caught 204 passes for 3,063 yards and 25 touchdowns in his college career.

After nondescript appearances in the Lions' final two preseason games -- a total of three catches for 36 yards -- Young has showed potential as a clutch performer in a blowout win against Kansas City and a comeback win against Minnesota.

"He missed so much time in training camp," Schwartz said. "There's a reason we drafted him so high and had such high expectations. He's going to make a lot of plays in this offense. He's a young player and still has a ways to go, but he made some really big-time catches."

It's not that Young has lit up the scoreboard. His stats aren't gaudy -- against the Vikings, he hauled in four passes for 51 yards. But the timing and manner were critical.

As the Lions sliced a 20-point deficit in half, they faced third-and-8 from their own 13-yard line with 1:48 remaining in the third quarter, Young stretched out for a 17-yard reception that sparked another touchdown to pull them within three.

He also had a key 15-yard catch on Detroit's next drive, which culminated in a game-tying field goal.

In overtime, Young beat Vikings cornerback Cedric Griffin on a skinny post and the rookie fully extended himself to make a fingertip catch for 17 yards.

"He's not the biggest guy in the world," said Schwartz, "but he's got really strong hands and he's fearless going across the middle.
"The play he made last week on third and half a mile, and some of these catches, he's at full extension going out to catching balls and not (making) body catches. That ball is sticking to his hands."

Schwartz was referring to a play against the Chiefs -- third-and-24 at the Lions' own 28-yard line. No biggie. Young picked up the first down and another 19 yards.

Of course, before the past two weeks, there was growing panic -- masked as slight uneasiness -- among fans when Young injured his hamstring early in training camp causing him to miss the majority of the preseason. Day after day, media and fans looked to see if he was back at practice. Day after day, Schwartz would give typically cryptic answers to questions about the rookie's health.

To make matters worse, Green Bay's Randall Cobb, whom the Packers drafted 20 picks after the Lions drafted Young, scored two touchdowns -- on a 32-yard pass and a 108-yard kickoff return -- during the first game of the NFL season.

There were murmurs about what could have been had the Lions picked the "right guy." Young quietly is quashing that talk, though.

Aside from showing off his big-play ability and willingness to expose his body to make a catch over the middle, Young proved he has the toughness to make it as a pro against the Vikings and Chiefs. More than once, he burst off the line, hands swatting his defender's arms away, to avoid the jam.

And Young wasn't afraid to get down and dirty to defend himself during the Kansas City game. He got into a shoving match with Brandon Flowers while blocking on a Jahvid Best run. Young had his helmet ripped off by Flowers, but the Chiefs cornerback walked away with a large hole in the front of his jersey.

The scuffle might have ended in a draw, but the important thing is the rookie wasn't about to let the four-year veteran push him around.

Other players his size might back down from the challenge of run blocking -- wide receivers are notorious for overlooking that aspect of the game. But not Young. He works on that and his coaches take notice.

"He's blocked really well, too," Schwartz said. "He's 175 pounds, but works really hard blocking. We expect those things from him. He missed a lot of time. He's still playing catch up in some ways, but he's going to make a lot of plays for us this year."

A quick, tough, explosive, receiver has good hands and blocks? Sounds like he could wind up being a great deal as a versatile contributor to Detroit's offense ... for the 44th overall pick.

Hmm, maybe these Lions know what they are doing after all.

September 28th, 2011, 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He made key catche when they mattered, that shows his ability to contribute.

September 28th, 2011, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

I see stickum!

September 28th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3