View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Titus Young 
Post Re: Titus Young
I've been pleased with Titus. I thought we reached for him, and I thought that there were better options available, but he plays much taller than he is, he has great hands, and he runs good routes. My only complaint is that I really don't think he could ever be a #2 WR. He seems slated to be a slot guy for his career, but he's damn good and the NFL seems like its going to a 3+ WR dominated offenses anyhow.

September 26th, 2011, 12:20 pm
Varsity Captain

i agree and its usually your 3rd or 4th cornerback you have to worry about because "slot" receivers on the best teams in this league seem to get the ball when the game is on the line.
Titus' catches were awesome yesterday! :arrow: Fully stretched out Diving and using his hands. \:D/ ....and in clutch moments too/

September 26th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I've been pleased with Titus. I thought we reached for him, and I thought that there were better options available, but he plays much taller than he is, he has great hands, and he runs good routes. My only complaint is that I really don't think he could ever be a #2 WR. He seems slated to be a slot guy for his career, but he's damn good and the NFL seems like its going to a 3+ WR dominated offenses anyhow.

The 3 WR part is exactly right. Your third WR is basically a starter nowadays, just as your nickel CB is basically a starter as well.

I disagree about Titus as solely a slot guy. He certainly CAN play the slot and can excel there but he's already shown that he can go across the middle, can adjust his route based on what the TE is doing, and has the speed and athleticism be a deep threat. You don't often ask the #2 guy to run a lot of deep routes but Young has proved he can do that, which means he could be a #2 and then some. The only thing I haven't seen yet is if he's a threat to run a reverse. Linehan loves the reverse and Burleson is pretty good at that--if Young shows he can run a reverse effectively, then he has all the skills we need from a #2.

What's really great for the Lions is Burleson has the skills to play #2 and he can play the slot. As Young develops as a #2, we'll likely see him move outside more often and Burleson will gradually play more slot. That could really extend Burleson's career and it would be great to have him around a few more years. He seems to be a good influence on the locker room and he's very reliable on the field.

September 26th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ferris wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
you mean, you guys don't want Derrick Williams back?? :P

:shock: The Lions actually tried to resign DWill, they agreed to terms and he was all set to sign. But Mayhew tossed him the pen and it slipped through his hands. \:D/

Lol, you had me for half a second. Funny Sh!t.

mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

The 3 WR part is exactly right. Your third WR is basically a starter nowadays, just as your nickel CB is basically a starter as well.

I disagree about Titus as solely a slot guy. He certainly CAN play the slot and can excel there but he's already shown that he can go across the middle, can adjust his route based on what the TE is doing, and has the speed and athleticism be a deep threat. You don't often ask the #2 guy to run a lot of deep routes but Young has proved he can do that, which means he could be a #2 and then some. The only thing I haven't seen yet is if he's a threat to run a reverse. Linehan loves the reverse and Burleson is pretty good at that--if Young shows he can run a reverse effectively, then he has all the skills we need from a #2.

What's really great for the Lions is Burleson has the skills to play #2 and he can play the slot. As Young develops as a #2, we'll likely see him move outside more often and Burleson will gradually play more slot. That could really extend Burleson's career and it would be great to have him around a few more years. He seems to be a good influence on the locker room and he's very reliable on the field.

Excellent Post. Agree 100%.

September 26th, 2011, 1:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Varsity Captain

i am looking forward to seeing how he can "run in space" he shows amazing hands and leaping ability so far. i hope he shows vision and awareness during an end around like you said or even on a quick hot read slant in where he can beat his db and take it to the house party with some yac.
does anybody know what his yac is so far this season??

September 26th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Varsity Captain

BestAtMadden wrote:
i am looking forward to seeing how he can "run in space" he shows amazing hands and leaping ability so far. i hope he shows vision and awareness during an end around like you said or even on a quick hot read slant in where he can beat his db and take it to the house party with some yac.
does anybody know what his yac is so far this season??

yeah so it's 1. 1 yard gained after 9 catches this season. no worries from me. im fine with it. keep the glue mitts on and secure first downs.. his catches yesterday were diving, and the one for like 45 yards he had vs. k.c. was jumping in between 2 defenders, but (HE STILL HUNG ON!) dude is my ninja! :ninja:

September 26th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
you mean, you guys don't want Derrick Williams back?? :P

:lol:

September 26th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Has Titus eclipsed DWils career numbers yet?

September 26th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Pro Bowl Player

27 wrote:
Has Titus eclipsed DWils career numbers yet?

Dwill career - 9 rec. 82 yards

T.young to date -9 rec. 140 yards

September 26th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

some of you guys have to much time on your hands..... Titus looks great, from what I hear he's still not 100% healed from his hammy tweak. LOOK OUT COWGIRLS!!!!!!!!

September 27th, 2011, 1:28 am
League MVP

titus looks good. great hands love the way he snatches it out in the air. the thing that stands out to me is his fearlessness regardless of the situation as in leaping over the middle for a ball like the antiBill Schroeder or nationally Freddie Mitchell or as in getting in a fight with KC DBs in basically his debut game in the rotation to blocking with passion down the field. I think that effort is what makes a player like Young eventually rise above and have better careers than elite athletes like for say Roy Williams that dont quite care as much. I think that Young will be a very strong player for us and will have 2-3 seasons where he hits the 1000 yard mark. I see a lot of Hines Ward type qualities in Young.

September 27th, 2011, 4:43 am
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
I think that effort is what makes a player like Young eventually rise above

Completely agree. And it's great that we have a front office and scouting staff that can pick out players with this kind of attitude and a coaching staff and locker room that encourages/requires it.

I've always thought that doing well in the draft was one third luck, one third spotting talent and one third the situation you then put the selected player in. It's fantastic to see the Lions finally sorting out the latter two aspects.

EDIT: and (back on topic), yes, Titus Young makes me very happy :)

September 27th, 2011, 7:09 am
Pro Bowl Player

jedi~outcast wrote:
some of you guys have to much time on your hands..... Titus looks great, from what I hear he's still not 100% healed from his hammy tweak. LOOK OUT COWGIRLS!!!!!!!!

LoL, Google gets it done quick!

Someone mentioned Roy Williams : 4 rec. - 55 yards this season. Cutler got picked off trying to get him the ball vs. the Pack. To Roy's credit though, he just ran the wrong route, it didn't bounce off his hands this time =D>

September 27th, 2011, 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

OK, I'll admit I was wrong when I bashed the Titus Young pick in April. While I liked the guy in college, I felt that the Lions had more pressing needs at other positions besides WR. Like others, I also felt that it would take Titus a year or two to adjust to the pro game, but he has surprised all of us. His hands are unbelieveable and he seems to have a good grasp of the playbook much sooner than should be expected.

September 27th, 2011, 4:27 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not quite ready to say whether he was a good pick or bad pick. I didn't mind the pick, but he wasn't my first choice for that particular selection (I wanted LeShoure at that spot). While he has shown exactly the skills he was noted for in college (sure handed, deep threat), I'd like to see more than just a two game sample size.

Note: During Schwartz weekly press conference, he blamed one of the sacks on a player running the wrong route and Stafford not being able to throw the ball when he wanted to. While we can't be sure of who that player was, odds are it was probably Titus, since he's the new one to this offense. I'm not saying it was him, just that the odds are likely...

September 27th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next