View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 baddest dude in the NFL 
Pro Bowl Player

Post baddest dude in the NFL
I just heard about this but apparently its down to N.Suh and J.Harrison (Steelers)

Suh's winning 80/20 but if you want to vote it's a facebook thing.

http://www.facebook.com/sportsnation?sk ... 6355228359

September 30th, 2011, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: baddest dude in the NFL
I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Suh has to stop these piddely little cheap shots on opposing Qbs. It's going to end up costing us a game, and it almost cost us a game yesterday. Being "tough" is one thing, playing stupid is another. In many cases Suh is just playing stupid when he ends up getting flagged.

October 3rd, 2011, 4:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Suh has to stop these piddely little cheap shots on opposing Qbs. It's going to end up costing us a game, and it almost cost us a game yesterday. Being "tough" is one thing, playing stupid is another. In many cases Suh is just playing stupid when he ends up getting flagged.

I was listening to the game on XM with best of Sirius. So, I had to listen to the Cowboys homer announcers. And they both agreed that Suh should not have been penalized on that play. They actually criticized the official for throwing that penalty flag. But, I can only go by what they said. I can't wait for this weekend so I can finally watch it. My wife tapes the games when I have to be on the road.

October 3rd, 2011, 5:00 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Suh was one of only three players that I ever considered "can't miss" coming out of college. He has the speed and work ethic necessary to succeed, but his strength for his size is off the charts. He seems almost inhuman at times and could redefine the position in the NFL. I don't think anyone has ever seen another DT like him.

October 3rd, 2011, 5:55 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I was listening to the game on XM with best of Sirius. So, I had to listen to the Cowboys homer announcers. And they both agreed that Suh should not have been penalized on that play. They actually criticized the official for throwing that penalty flag. But, I can only go by what they said. I can't wait for this weekend so I can finally watch it. My wife tapes the games when I have to be on the road.

It wasn't a horrible hit, but he extended his forearms and shoved Romo in the head. It was unnecessary cheap, bs... It wasn't "tough" or "mean" it was chippy nonsense that didn't need to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and I think that off of the field he is a first class dood, I just think he needs to reel it in a little.

October 3rd, 2011, 5:59 pm
Junior Varsity

slybri19 wrote:
..Suh was one of only three players that I ever considered "can't miss" coming out of college.

Just curious, who were the other two?

October 3rd, 2011, 6:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
..Suh was one of only three players that I ever considered "can't miss" coming out of college.

Andre Ware. LOL. :lol:

October 3rd, 2011, 6:22 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Andre Ware. LOL. :lol:

....and Lawrence Phillips.

October 3rd, 2011, 7:17 pm
Div 1 - Starter

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

It wasn't a horrible hit, but he extended his forearms and shoved Romo in the head. It was unnecessary cheap, bs... It wasn't "tough" or "mean" it was chippy nonsense that didn't need to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and I think that off of the field he is a first class dood, I just think he needs to reel it in a little.

Yeah, the issue was that he hit him in the head. The refs haven't been consistent on the qb hits this season, but if you rub the quarterbacks helmet for luck its 15 yards.

October 3rd, 2011, 9:21 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The personal foul penalties aren't always bad. Yes, the penalty extended that drive but look at what happened the next time Suh got near Romo--he underthrows Witten badly, INT by Tulloch. That INT was set up by Suh hitting Romo in the mouth. Suh got into Romo's head, caused a mistake in a crucial situation.

October 3rd, 2011, 10:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Julius Peppers and Calvin Johnson. It's funny how the Lions got 2 out of the 3.

October 5th, 2011, 1:09 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Julius Peppers and Calvin Johnson. It's funny how the Lions got 2 out of the 3.

Here is my list of "can't miss" list players at each level since we launched LB in 2004:

QB = Andrew Luck
RB = Reggie Bush
WR = Calvin Johnson
OL = Joe Thomas
TE = Kellen Winslow Jr.
DT = Ndamukong Suh
LB = Patrick Willis
DB = Sean Taylor

Just goes to show that "can't miss" can indeed miss. I was also a big buyer of both Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell (as is well documented). I would have had AP on here at RB except for injury concerns. I also liked Derrick Johnson, Alex Barron, Michael Huff and AJ Hawk to name a few more who didn't live up to my hyped up NFL draft thinking.

October 5th, 2011, 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
mwill2 wrote:
The personal foul penalties aren't always bad. Yes, the penalty extended that drive but look at what happened the next time Suh got near Romo--he underthrows Witten badly, INT by Tulloch. That INT was set up by Suh hitting Romo in the mouth. Suh got into Romo's head, caused a mistake in a crucial situation.

I can't agree... Suh would have been fine if he would have hit Romo on that play. What got him flagged, which forced Dallas out of a punting situation and gave them a first down (which more or less should have secured the win for Dallas if Romo wasn't a choke artist), was that he extended his forarms and gave a weak shot to the head of Romo. He didn't even hit him hard, he just did it. It was a p*ssy move, and it didn't help us in anyway.

October 5th, 2011, 4:57 pm
Varsity Captain

That was a cheap shot by the Refs. A 5th grader could have hit Romo harder that. Suh was coming over the pile (Romo was not yet in the grasp) which means he should be fair game unless he got rid of the ball much sooner. Suh had already left his feet while Romo had the ball. Yes he extended his arms and his left hand barely grazed Romo's facemask.

Every weekend there are probably more than $100k in fines handed out, many for good clean shots that are meant to say "remember me baby". There will always be cheap dangerous hits, but you cannot take the aggressive physicallity out off football. I can go down to the park and watch my 6 yr old nephew play flag football. :finger:

:finger:

October 5th, 2011, 7:20 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Boz wrote:
That was a cheap shot by the Refs. A 5th grader could have hit Romo harder that. Suh was coming over the pile (Romo was not yet in the grasp) which means he should be fair game unless he got rid of the ball much sooner. Suh had already left his feet while Romo had the ball. Yes he extended his arms and his left hand barely grazed Romo's facemask.

Every weekend there are probably more than $100k in fines handed out, many for good clean shots that are meant to say "remember me baby". There will always be cheap dangerous hits, but you cannot take the aggressive physicallity out off football. I can go down to the park and watch my 6 yr old nephew play flag football. :finger:

:finger:

I agree that the rule sucks, but its been in force for the entire season. You touch a QB's head, you get a flag. Until they change the rule the players need to be aware enough not to do it. So I wouldn't call it cheap on the refs. As long as they consistently call the helmet contact they're doing what they're instructed to do. The whole roughing the passer thing is another story though.

They also need to use judgment when its unavoidable contact though, for instance if the defender is going to hit the chest and the QB ducks.

While I'm on it how is it still okay for a runner to throw a stiff arm to the helmet of the defender.

October 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next