View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Good, Bad and Ugly...afterthoughts from the Dallas game 
Junior Varsity

Post Good, Bad and Ugly...afterthoughts from the Dallas game
Here's my thoughts:

Good: aside from winning the game, I am liking that we are winning while still not playing our best football. Doesn't seem like the entire team has played their best on the same day yet this season. LOVE that the D stepped up when we needed some points and our O wasn't producing anything.

Bad: Our D line play, didn't seem like Romo was pressured AT ALL today aside from the one sack at the end of the game. Against that O Line I had visions of a field day for Suh and the gang, just didn't happen. Also, and maybe I don't understand long term tendencies / stratagies, but I would like to see a bit more down the field passing on first down. Get tired of seeing 44 up the middle on 9/10 first down plays.

Ugly: As much as I like Matt Stafford, he looked absolutely horrible today, especially in the first half. He missed several throws that he would normally have made. The pick he threw on the first series was one example, he overthrew CJ down the sideline in I belive the 4th quarter for what would have been a TD as well.

October 2nd, 2011, 8:39 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Good, Bad and Ugly...afterthoughts from the Dallas game
Stafford is going to have bad games. He's inexperienced, it will happen.

The good is that the lions are showing that they can play from behind and make it happen. Also, Pett and Titus are emerging are legit players, while Calvin may be the best receiver in the NFL in terms of talent and production.

The bad is the back seven and the offensive line. The pass protection is great, but the penalties are inexcusable and theres no between the tackles running game to speak of. The back 7 continues to get run on and week in and week out.

October 2nd, 2011, 10:45 pm
RIP Killer

Good - of course, the come from behind that shows this team won't give up on a game regardless of what the scoreboard reads. But also the fact that the offensive line showed some improvement this week over last weeks near tragedy.

Bad - Stafford in the first half. He just plain missed on some open throws, and that hasn't been him this season. I think he was nervous. Also, the defensive scheme in the first half was pretty piss poor for the coverage. Why were our corners playing so far off their receivers? We were giving them the slants and quick hitters, which is EXACTLY why the d-line wasn't getting pressure. Quick drop and throw to wide open receivers. In the second half, the defense was tightened up, but that should have taken place MUCH sooner.

Ugly - penalties. Stupid, stupid penalties late in the game when the Lions had the ball and were driving. When, oh when, will this BS stop?! And what the Hell is wrong with our special teams? The coverage units are pretty poor.

October 2nd, 2011, 11:22 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:

Bad - Stafford in the first half. He just plain missed on some open throws, and that hasn't been him this season. I think he was nervous. Also, the defensive scheme in the first half was pretty piss poor for the coverage. Why were our corners playing so far off their receivers? We were giving them the slants and quick hitters, which is EXACTLY why the d-line wasn't getting pressure. Quick drop and throw to wide open receivers. In the second half, the defense was tightened up, but that should have taken place MUCH sooner.

Yes, and like the Vikes and Chiefs, the Cowboys moved the ball laterally a lot in the first half to neutralize the DL. We're going to see this all season long so hopefully they'll continue to address it.

October 2nd, 2011, 11:56 pm
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Good - of course, the come from behind that shows this team won't give up on a game regardless of what the scoreboard reads. But also the fact that the offensive line showed some improvement this week over last weeks near tragedy.

Ugly - penalties. Stupid, stupid penalties late in the game when the Lions had the ball and were driving. When, oh when, will this BS stop?! And what the Hell is wrong with our special teams? The coverage units are pretty poor.

+1

October 3rd, 2011, 1:06 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I think Dallas' offensive game plan was perfect, well at least in the first half. They were gashing Detroit with screens and delays. Of course these were designed to work against the DL's aggressiveness. They were also calling a lot of quick passes. I think originally it was designed this way to keep Romo untouched. I believe that later they figured, "hey we got 200+ yards passing in the first half by taking the quick passes, lets keep doing it". I don't really believe the Lions DL had much of a chance to pressure Romo considering he was throwing the ball 2 secs after getting the snap.

Titus Young...awesome!

Brandon Pettigrew...awesome!

Calvin Johnson truly is Megatron!

I am happy with the way the Lions secondary has been playing this year. Spievey has to be most improved player, not just on defense, but on the whole team.

October 3rd, 2011, 5:07 am
Heisman Winner

Good -- Playmakers made plays when it mattered most. The CBs were getting roasted all day due to the inept ability of the DLine and yet Houston redeemed himself with a spectacular catch and run. Megatron, Pett, Carpenter, Young, and even Stafford made the difference at the critical moments.

Bad-- The Dline. No sugar coating it. Yeah Dallas game planned to get rid of the ball quickly but so has every team we've faced. Romo's pocket was intact all day long. I really don't think they even got a legit hit on Romo till the 4th quarter. I don't know that I heard a Dline name called unless they had a penalty (Suh/Williams). Very underwhelming.

Ugly-- Stafford's play early in games thus far and especially in this one. Playing in front of his hometown peeps seemed to make his throws nervous and his feet skittish in the pocket. Gotta keep in mind that Matt is still a maturing kid. He's got to have these experiences in order to learn from them.

Overwhelming talent has been the recipe for winning these games. Imagine when we clean up the mental mistakes. :shock:

October 3rd, 2011, 8:33 am
RIP Killer

yostevo wrote:
Good -- Playmakers made plays when it mattered most. The CBs were getting roasted all day due to the inept ability of the DLine and yet Houston redeemed himself with a spectacular catch and run. Megatron, Pett, Carpenter, Young, and even Stafford made the difference at the critical moments.

Bad-- The Dline. No sugar coating it. Yeah Dallas game planned to get rid of the ball quickly but so has every team we've faced. Romo's pocket was intact all day long. I really don't think they even got a legit hit on Romo till the 4th quarter. I don't know that I heard a Dline name called unless they had a penalty (Suh/Williams). Very underwhelming.

Ugly-- Stafford's play early in games thus far and especially in this one. Playing in front of his hometown peeps seemed to make his throws nervous and his feet skittish in the pocket. Gotta keep in mind that Matt is still a maturing kid. He's got to have these experiences in order to learn from them.

Overwhelming talent has been the recipe for winning these games. Imagine when we clean up the mental mistakes. :shock:

That is what I'm waiting for. If the team, including the coaches, ever get on the same page and play four quarters of some really good football, I don't think too many teams will best them. They just need to get their feet under them much earlier in the ball games. This goes for the coaching staff as well.

I know you listed the D-line as a bad, but in the first half they couldn't be a factor because Gunner had our CBs playing 10 yards off. That's ridiculous, particularly when you see their receivers doing dig and slant routes while Romo is taking 3 and 5 step drops, or throwing from out of the shotgun immediately after getting the ball. Bryant is a big guy, so pressing him would have been tough. But the others aren't his size, and our corners could have pressed them while Bryant got double covered.

OK, rant over......Lions are 4-0 and an NFL force to be reckoned with. It's all that matters right now.

October 3rd, 2011, 8:53 am
Heisman Winner

m2karateman wrote:
yostevo wrote:
Good --

I know you listed the D-line as a bad, but in the first half they couldn't be a factor because Gunner had our CBs playing 10 yards off. That's ridiculous, particularly when you see their receivers doing dig and slant routes while Romo is taking 3 and 5 step drops, or throwing from out of the shotgun immediately after getting the ball. Bryant is a big guy, so pressing him would have been tough. But the others aren't his size, and our corners could have pressed them while Bryant got double covered.

That's fair I suppose but I still felt that I'm not seeing this line collapse the pocket from the inside as much as they did last year. Perhaps after a year's worth of film, Olines have learned to scheme us better. Nick Fairley could begin to change that this week though and I'll be there! 8)

October 3rd, 2011, 11:40 am
Walk On

I think our coaches need to do a better job identifying how the opposing coaches will gameplan for them. We do a great job adjusting, but it seems like we are outcoached in the first half, especially these last two weeks.

It seems we tend to play a "bend but don't break" defense at first, only to play more aggressive the 2nd half. We need to come out of the gate with that aggressiveness and force the other team to adjust.

Another dynamic we could be forgetting though... these coaches believe we WILL be in the playoffs. Perhaps they don't want to give up too much tape to allow some of our creativity to shine in the playoffs. This seems to be what the Patriots do (anyone remember the SB where they seemingly had two different gameplans for each half?)

All in all, I trust these coaches. We just need to be more aggressive with our bump-n-run coverage to allow our DL to make plays

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

October 3rd, 2011, 12:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I don't understand why our CBs don't do more press coverage on the opposing team's WRs. I know doing that would help them, also gives our D-line more time to get to the QB as it will take longer for the WR to get open.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 3rd, 2011, 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]