View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 10:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions show interest in Ty Law 
RIP Killer

Post Lions show interest in Ty Law
Lions show interest in Law (Boston.com)
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... st_in_law/
May 11, 2005

Former Patriots cornerback Ty Law spent the day visiting with Detroit Lions coach Steve Mariucci and general manager Matt Millen at their Allen Park, Mich., facility. Law, who broke his left foot in October and had surgery to repair ligament damage in the foot in January, has been running straight ahead while rehabbing and is a few weeks away from cutting.

Law also has received interest from the Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Indianapolis Colts. There was no immediate word on the Lions' intentions, but, according to a team source, Law had a very good visit and showed enough physically for Detroit to make a decision.

Possibility at backup FS?

May 11th, 2005, 7:41 am
RIP Killer

With all the $ tied up into Bly and Bryant (and the $ that would count against the cap if they released Bryant) and spending 3rd round draft picks the past two years on CB (in addition to Cash/Goodman) - they have to be considering him as a safety (or moving Bryant to FS).

The Lions don't seem to have much left under the cap when looking at the rookie pool. Looks betweeen $1-$2M to me.

May 11th, 2005, 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I think it would be great to get Law for the right price. He is a very good veteran DB and could help to develope our youngins as well as strengthen our backfield. :arrow:

May 11th, 2005, 9:23 am
Bubbles the Lion

i really don't want him. With the injury problems and ego probs. he would have to come really really really cheap for me to want him on this team. Honestly i think we would do just fine without him and not to mention. All coaches and GM's say that if you really want a player you DO NOT let him back on that plane

May 11th, 2005, 9:50 am
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

i really don't want him. With the injury problems and ego probs. he would have to come really really really cheap for me to want him on this team. Honestly i think we would do just fine without him and not to mention. All coaches and GM's say that if you really want a player you DO NOT let him back on that plane

That's true.....in the case of a healthy player. With Law not being able to cut for a few weeks, it would be foolish to sign him now...even to a league minimum contract. Unless his salary demands have come WAY down, he's got no chance of coming here.

If the Lions wanted to sign him and move him to safety, that could be compelling. Bryant would never make it as a safety, he's too damned skinny and doesn't tackle well enough.

May 11th, 2005, 10:49 am
Hall of Fame Player

I'd love to have him on the team but only if:

1) He's healthy.

2) His attitude is good.

3) His asking price is realistic.

I'm not convinced any of those will be the case.

May 11th, 2005, 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

There is no way with the money we have tied up in the secondary that we would sign Law. I think he would be intriguing as a FS, but I would rather see what Holt can do with the starting job. I personally think he is a selfish player and acnnot picture him taking a drastic pay cut unless he knew he would have a starting job. I'm not sure why Millen is even showing interestin picking him up.

I think w/ Bryant coming back from his injuries and Kennedy signed as SS, our secondary looks in pretty good shape. And we already have enough depth. I still havent heard if James Butler signed anywhere. Does anyone have info on his status?

Tim

May 11th, 2005, 11:16 am
RIP Killer

Butler was picked up by the G-men. Dunno how he did in camp though. He could be one of those guys that doesn't get asked back to training camp.

May 11th, 2005, 11:27 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Butler was picked up by the G-men. Dunno how he did in camp though. He could be one of those guys that doesn't get asked back to training camp.

Well, so much for that. But I guess if Millen really was interested in him, he had plenty of time to try and get him.

Tim

May 11th, 2005, 11:52 am
RIP Killer

"the lions say they brought in ty law as part of their "due diligence'' and gave him a physical to see where he was health wise ... there have been no negotiations or anything like that ... the lions have them on their radar, but nothing is imminent ... as far as where he'd play, the lions haven't even discussed it -- the coaching staff is on vacation all this week .. (law visited with the lions on tuesday)..."

May 11th, 2005, 2:18 pm
QB Coach

Nothing wrong with wanting to add a pro-bowl caliber player. If the price is right, he is definitely a good idea. I'd much rather have Law than Bryant at corner.

I don't know why everyone seems to think we have to get a free safety, or whatever corner we draft needs to be shifted to safety. Law is a corner. Period. He has great cover skills has has the physical presence that we need.

It would be a nice addition... as long as it's a decent contract.

May 11th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Nothing wrong with wanting to add a pro-bowl caliber player. If the price is right, he is definitely a good idea. I'd much rather have Law than Bryant at corner.

I don't know why everyone seems to think we have to get a free safety, or whatever corner we draft needs to be shifted to safety. Law is a corner. Period. He has great cover skills has has the physical presence that we need.

It would be a nice addition... as long as it's a decent contract.

Problem is he has had ankle injuries the last 2 years and so no one knows if he will ever get passed these. Like i said in a way. If he doesn't come waaaaaaaaay down in asking price he's too much of a health risk for the lions.....we've had too many injury problems at this point with our secondary and i really don't think we need to add another risk.

May 11th, 2005, 4:52 pm
Profile YIM
National Champion

I'm not sure if the asking price would be the hold-up for me--I'd be more concerned about the length of the deal. If he was willing to sign a one year deal and they could fit him under the cap, what's the harm? People talk about his off the field problems, but it's not as if he was such a locker room cancer that he prevented New England from winning those Super Bowls.

May 12th, 2005, 12:52 am
Hall of Fame Player

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Lions, ex-Patriot Law have a chat

By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- There is a place in the Lions' youth movement for proven veterans, and cornerback Ty Law is under consideration to help upgrade the secondary.

Law, who played at Michigan and has spent his 10 pro seasons with the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, made a favorable impression in a visit Tuesday with Lions officials.

But a signing does not appear imminent, and health and financial issues are involved. Law was released by the Patriots in February because of salary-cap reasons. He missed most of the 2004 season because of a broken left foot that required surgery.

"I'm interested," Lions president Matt Millen said Wednesday. "We wanted to bring him in to give him a physical, to see where he is physically. I think he can contribute.

"You've got to find out what you're getting, if you get it.

"Finances are something you have to try to work out -- like every other team. But I wanted to see exactly where he is right now."

Law, 31, missed the last nine games of the 2004 regular season -- and all of the playoffs and Super Bowl -- because of a broken left foot. It is a serious injury for a cornerback because of the stress of constantly backpedaling, acceleration and change of direction required to play the position.

There also has been speculation that Law is overweight, which would be natural because the foot injury has kept him from working out. He is a physical cornerback, and his playing weight is listed as 200 pounds.

Law, 31, was released by the Patriots on Feb. 25 with a year left on his contract. It would have cost the Patriots $12.5 million on their salary cap for this year.

Other teams have expressed interest in Law, said his agent, Kevin Poston of Farmington Hills.

The Kansas City Chiefs considered signing him before last month's draft but traded with Miami to acquire cornerback Patrick Surtain.

Law was on the way to Miami to visit the Dolphins on Wednesday, Poston said.

Don't expect Law to sign a bargain-basement deal.

"Ty's going to get paid like he's supposed to get paid," Poston said.

Law has made the Pro Bowl four times and holds the Patriots' career record with 36 interceptions. Whether he can return to an elite level remains to be seen.

The Lions have depth at cornerback, but they also have had injuries at the position.

Dr? Bly, who made the Pro Bowl the last two seasons, missed three games in 2004 because of a knee injury. Fernando Bryant, the starter at right cornerback, missed six games because of an ankle injury.

Key reserves in the secondary have injury histories. Andre Goodman missed five games last season because of a hamstring injury, and Chris Cash missed all of 2003 because of a knee injury suffered in the exhibition season.

The Lions are counting on two other young cornerbacks: Keith Smith, a rookie in 2004, and Stanley Wilson, a third-round pick in last month's draft.

As I begin to add this up...

Injury issues + Money issues + Attitude + 31 y.o. + Poston's as agents = I don't think this will happen.

I didn't know the Poston Bros. where his agents - that in of itself would be a deal killer to me. They will never let him sign a deal that we could afford.

May 12th, 2005, 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

i'm in the minority here.

if you can get a player like law (assuming he recovers from injury) and at the right price, then you get him.

lord knows we suffered enough injuries in the secondary last year and simply stated you can't have enough corners.

i don't think he will accept a low salary and detroit won't overpay for law.
i believe the days of overpaying for free agents are a part of the past.
in my opinion he will not get the salary he demands anywhere.

the postons are notorious for asking the world.

i doubt he signs with the lions anyway but at the right price and after clearing a physical he could be a great addition to the secondary.

i would not sign law until he is healthy enough to plant and back paddle with acceleration and quickness. the soonest he should be signed is preseason. if he shows he can cover, plant and accelerate then your questions and concerns about his injuries should be answered.

have him display his ability against wr's like roy & mike williams and charles. if he shows strong coverage ability against these guys then sign him to a short term contract (2 years max.).

it's all good.

the lions are looking good regardless. improving the "d" isn't a bad option
though.

GO LIONS

May 12th, 2005, 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next