View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 2:15 pm



Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Lions show interest in Ty Law 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
TADOne wrote:
Quote:
Assuming money is close; Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?


I agree w/ you on this. But if Law doesn't accept an incentive laden deal for at the max 2 years, then why even consider it? I think that Law needs to swallow his pride and tell his agents to accept the best deal he can get so that he can prove himself again. I think his contract needs to have language saying if he plays a certain amount of plays or a certain percantage of the plays, then his salary would escalate accordingly. Not sure if the Poston's would accept that kind of offer, but that's what Millen should offer once he proves his injury is completely healed.



I don't disagree with a word you said. The only issue is this:

By the end of preseason one of the CB's in the leauge will get hurt and be done for the year! When that happens that team will be desperate to sign someone and the Postons know it. It's about that time that Law gets what he wants.


May 20th, 2005, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Joined: April 13th, 2005, 9:38 am
Posts: 55
Post Re: Dolphins won't sign Law
Quote:
Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

well, no, it isn't. not yet. 6-10 isn't "close to winning." 10-6 is.

We just have to face the fact that it's going to be longer and harder for them to turn that around than it would be for any other team except maybe the Cardinals.

After 40 years of not being even close to a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a championship, players all over the league know Lions=Losing. Even the guys who don't know crap about the league's history know that, because they all know Barry Sanders quit the league rather than go on with the Lions.

I would like to think that they're turning that around but it will take more than 6-10 and a few exciting young players.


May 20th, 2005, 12:32 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Vet
User avatar

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 3:08 pm
Posts: 125
Location: 8 Mile
Post 
A healthy Law would be nice but we also need to sign our rookies. I am sure there will also be more guys via FA that come cheaper for us as well after June cuts.

_________________
Em1n3m
"ain't nobody iller than me"


May 20th, 2005, 12:56 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Dolphins won't sign Law
lionsmack wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

well, no, it isn't. not yet. 6-10 isn't "close to winning." 10-6 is.

We just have to face the fact that it's going to be longer and harder for them to turn that around than it would be for any other team except maybe the Cardinals.

After 40 years of not being even close to a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a championship, players all over the league know Lions=Losing. Even the guys who don't know crap about the league's history know that, because they all know Barry Sanders quit the league rather than go on with the Lions.

I would like to think that they're turning that around but it will take more than 6-10 and a few exciting young players.



Thanks for the reminder that we haven't won anything in 47 years and that we're losers and the laughing stock of the NFL.

And I was just starting to forget.

But the phrase was "closer to winng" and it was stated relative to Miami who picked second in the draft because last year they sucked more than we did. And this season I would expect Detroit to do better than Miami.


May 20th, 2005, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post 
This is also a league where a team with a losing percentage in the previous year often jumps up to break into the playoffs on a consistent basis.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


May 20th, 2005, 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
I don't disagree with a word you said. The only issue is this:

By the end of preseason one of the CB's in the leauge will get hurt and be done for the year! When that happens that team will be desperate to sign someone and the Postons know it. It's about that time that Law gets what he wants.


I don't believe any team will be that desperate. Miami has lost two of it's top corners already and have announced they aren't pursuing Law. Is that a smokescreen? I don't believe so. I think Law is jaded and the Postons are giving him VERY bad advice. No team will touch him until he can prove he is 100% recovered, and that won't be for months. In the meantime, teams will continue to search other avenues to get players in camp. Law is under more pressure to get signed than ANY team is to get him onto a contract. I highly doubt any team will pay him with a long term, big money deal. He must accept the fact that he will get offers of incentive laden contracts limited to two or three years. At the best, he will get a contract that will be very heavy on the backend that is a four year deal. I don't know the details of what size and length contract Ty is looking for, but I am quite certain he won't see an offer even close to what I've heard he was wanting. The Postons have said they won't accept a short term deal for Law. I had heard earlier in the year that he was wanting a contract of 5 years or more, $30 million or more, with a signing bonus of $12 million or more. He is delusional.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


May 20th, 2005, 1:19 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
... I had heard earlier in the year that he was wanting a contract of 5 years or more, $30 million or more, with a signing bonus of $12 million or more. He is delusional.



You're right. He is delusional. No one is going to give him $12 Mil of guaranteed money.

I also believe you're correct when you say the Postons are giving him bad advice - they are.

However, I believe they will hold him out until a team comes up with some money. Not as much as listed above - but something substantial, and for at least 3 years.

And

m2karateman wrote:
... Law is under more pressure to get signed than ANY team is to get him onto a contract....


This might be true today - but not after the season starts and a CB gets hurt. Miami can afford not to take a risk on Law because they have a new coach and they aren't going anywhere this year anyway.

The fact is, everyone is posturing - even Detroit.


May 20th, 2005, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
Why not do a David Dombroski and make a quick escape clause? :shock:


Just throwing that out there, I would be opposed to the signing if it takes too much room, but if we fix it right,we might be able to dump it, if say, Law isn't starting by week 9 or something like that.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


May 21st, 2005, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Joined: March 23rd, 2005, 5:08 pm
Posts: 52
Location: N. Ga.
Post 
At first I was against signing Law, then I started thinking about why would the Lions be looking at him or any other CB if they were satisfied with Bryant. I know what Millen said about keeping the options open, but they actually gave him a workout. I dont think they would do that unless they were serious about him. I dont think the Postons are a factor for the Lions as CRog is one of their clients and they have stated they have a good relationship with the Lions. If Mooch and/or Jauron arent satisfied with Bryant that worries me.
Just imagine Bly and Law (if in good health) back there. Two Pro Bowl corners. I think the Lions are truly thinking about a run toward the SB this year. It seems like forever that I have gotten that feeling from this Organization.

_________________
4 Generations of Lions fans


May 21st, 2005, 12:49 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity
User avatar

Joined: February 16th, 2005, 7:23 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Indianapolis
Post 
JMO, but I don't think their interest has anything to do with their satisfaction with Bryant. I think it is as simple as an opportunity to nab a past pro bowl player.

_________________
'Independence' is just an euphemism for having no friends


May 21st, 2005, 4:13 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
N8Dog wrote:
JMO, but I don't think their interest has anything to do with their satisfaction with Bryant. I think it is as simple as an opportunity to nab a past pro bowl player.



I would tend to agree with you. It's a possible opportunity to be as deep at CB as we are at WR. Why not go for it if he's healthy and we can get him at a reasonable price.


May 21st, 2005, 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: April 27th, 2005, 3:26 pm
Posts: 1776
Post 
Quote:
I would tend to agree with you. It's a possible opportunity to be as deep at CB as we are at WR. Why not go for it if he's healthy and we can get him at a reasonable price.


The only problem is that there seems to be no way to get him at a reasonable price w/ the numbers the Poston's have been mentioning. But understand that as angents hired by the player they are going to the ceiling w/ the asking price for his agent knowing that teams are going to not offer as much to a player coming off injury. Agents do this all the time. I have no issue w/ that. What I do see as a problem is that I think Law has always shown himself to be a very selfish player. With that being said, would you see him swallowing his pride and taking an incentive laden deal for 2 years so he can prove his worth again? And at age 31? IMO, we don't need a selfish player who will take away from the overall team goal.

_________________
Regards,

Tim

Image


May 23rd, 2005, 12:57 pm
Profile
Bubbles the Lion

Joined: March 23rd, 2005, 5:08 pm
Posts: 52
Location: N. Ga.
Post 
I dont want Law for four years. I really only want him for 2 and just one if I could get away with it. If we have the money, and Tom Lewand has been darn good at making sure we have it, I dont care what they give him for salary. I really dont care what his attitude is. To the best of my knowledge he has never been a problem in the locker room, he has the RING to show around, plus our starters have been here at least 2 years already so I cant see him disrupting anyone except Bryant. This is the year, if he is healthy, he makes the D. Bly, Law as corners, Bryant the nickel, Smith or Wilson as the dime, if Smith moves to FS as backup. Kennedy and Holt/Smith FS, The bigs in the middle, Hall and Redding/Cody on the outside. You put Wilson the burner on their fastest WR, Holt covering across the middle, the bigs clogging up inside. Running a Kennedy safety Blitz has got to scare a QB. That makes for pics, errant passes or sacks. Just think of the potential!! Now not only do we have DC's trying to figure out how to cover the big 3 plus pollard, how to stop the run with KJ now you have OC's trying to figure a game plan against that Defense. I know it is premature, but man pass the Kool-aid and give me a big helping of cornbread cause I AM HUNGRY and I am tired of waiting, I am 54 years old and a Lion fan my whole life, guys this could be the year. I am tired of hearing guys say we dont want to mortgage the future, Man the future is now. You can make fun, or call me foolish but this year has all the earmarks of a storybook type year. No teams ever gone to a SB when its in their city, the Lions hever have gone, a coach coming to his home state and taking his team to the SB, a President/GM of the club who had never been in any management capacity before. A QB on the verge of being booted out of town plus I think we could find a few more stories to go along with it, It could be next years big movie.

_________________
4 Generations of Lions fans


May 26th, 2005, 12:42 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10355
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
horsemanjb wrote:
I know it is premature, but man pass the Kool-aid and give me a big helping of cornbread cause I AM HUNGRY and I am tired of waiting, I am 54 years old and a Lion fan my whole life, guys this could be the year.


CORNBREAD!!! I love cornbread posts, they make my day.

I don't think anyone we have right now would be a good FS, well, good enough to upseat Holt. Nobody has the ideal size to play FS IMO.

Terrance Holt - 6-2 208
Fernando Bryant - 5-11 175
Dre Bly - 5-10 185
Chris Cash - 5-10 185
Andre Goodman - 5-10 185
Keith Smith - 5-11 191
Stanley Wilson - 5-11.5 185
Ty Law - 5-11 200

Then again, there are many FS out there who are 5-10 and 190. However, I think they should be at least 6-0 and 200 to contend with the BMWs of the league, which is around the average. Keith Smith would be the best option IMO, but I think M&M would like to get him more involved at CB and groom him for the future. The guy has loads of potential.

Bryant would be making $1.2M per season in base salary w/o SB or incentives to play nickle corner would make me go Shocked Bryant's signed through 2010, so I doubt he's taken out of the starting role for 2 years to let an unproven-after-injury player take his spot, despite that fact that player (Law) has been to 3 (?) pro bowls.


May 26th, 2005, 1:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aManNamedSuh, Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.