View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Lions show interest in Ty Law 
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Assuming money is close; Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

I agree w/ you on this. But if Law doesn't accept an incentive laden deal for at the max 2 years, then why even consider it? I think that Law needs to swallow his pride and tell his agents to accept the best deal he can get so that he can prove himself again. I think his contract needs to have language saying if he plays a certain amount of plays or a certain percantage of the plays, then his salary would escalate accordingly. Not sure if the Poston's would accept that kind of offer, but that's what Millen should offer once he proves his injury is completely healed.

I don't disagree with a word you said. The only issue is this:

By the end of preseason one of the CB's in the leauge will get hurt and be done for the year! When that happens that team will be desperate to sign someone and the Postons know it. It's about that time that Law gets what he wants.

May 20th, 2005, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Post Re: Dolphins won't sign Law
Quote:
Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

well, no, it isn't. not yet. 6-10 isn't "close to winning." 10-6 is.

We just have to face the fact that it's going to be longer and harder for them to turn that around than it would be for any other team except maybe the Cardinals.

After 40 years of not being even close to a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a championship, players all over the league know Lions=Losing. Even the guys who don't know crap about the league's history know that, because they all know Barry Sanders quit the league rather than go on with the Lions.

I would like to think that they're turning that around but it will take more than 6-10 and a few exciting young players.

May 20th, 2005, 12:32 pm
Pop Warner Vet

A healthy Law would be nice but we also need to sign our rookies. I am sure there will also be more guys via FA that come cheaper for us as well after June cuts.

May 20th, 2005, 12:56 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Dolphins won't sign Law
lionsmack wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

well, no, it isn't. not yet. 6-10 isn't "close to winning." 10-6 is.

We just have to face the fact that it's going to be longer and harder for them to turn that around than it would be for any other team except maybe the Cardinals.

After 40 years of not being even close to a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a championship, players all over the league know Lions=Losing. Even the guys who don't know crap about the league's history know that, because they all know Barry Sanders quit the league rather than go on with the Lions.

I would like to think that they're turning that around but it will take more than 6-10 and a few exciting young players.

Thanks for the reminder that we haven't won anything in 47 years and that we're losers and the laughing stock of the NFL.

And I was just starting to forget.

But the phrase was "closer to winng" and it was stated relative to Miami who picked second in the draft because last year they sucked more than we did. And this season I would expect Detroit to do better than Miami.

May 20th, 2005, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This is also a league where a team with a losing percentage in the previous year often jumps up to break into the playoffs on a consistent basis.

May 20th, 2005, 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't disagree with a word you said. The only issue is this:

By the end of preseason one of the CB's in the leauge will get hurt and be done for the year! When that happens that team will be desperate to sign someone and the Postons know it. It's about that time that Law gets what he wants.

I don't believe any team will be that desperate. Miami has lost two of it's top corners already and have announced they aren't pursuing Law. Is that a smokescreen? I don't believe so. I think Law is jaded and the Postons are giving him VERY bad advice. No team will touch him until he can prove he is 100% recovered, and that won't be for months. In the meantime, teams will continue to search other avenues to get players in camp. Law is under more pressure to get signed than ANY team is to get him onto a contract. I highly doubt any team will pay him with a long term, big money deal. He must accept the fact that he will get offers of incentive laden contracts limited to two or three years. At the best, he will get a contract that will be very heavy on the backend that is a four year deal. I don't know the details of what size and length contract Ty is looking for, but I am quite certain he won't see an offer even close to what I've heard he was wanting. The Postons have said they won't accept a short term deal for Law. I had heard earlier in the year that he was wanting a contract of 5 years or more, $30 million or more, with a signing bonus of $12 million or more. He is delusional.

May 20th, 2005, 1:19 pm
Hall of Fame Player

... I had heard earlier in the year that he was wanting a contract of 5 years or more, $30 million or more, with a signing bonus of $12 million or more. He is delusional.

You're right. He is delusional. No one is going to give him $12 Mil of guaranteed money.

I also believe you're correct when you say the Postons are giving him bad advice - they are.

However, I believe they will hold him out until a team comes up with some money. Not as much as listed above - but something substantial, and for at least 3 years.

And

m2karateman wrote:
... Law is under more pressure to get signed than ANY team is to get him onto a contract....

This might be true today - but not after the season starts and a CB gets hurt. Miami can afford not to take a risk on Law because they have a new coach and they aren't going anywhere this year anyway.

The fact is, everyone is posturing - even Detroit.

May 20th, 2005, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why not do a David Dombroski and make a quick escape clause? :shock:

Just throwing that out there, I would be opposed to the signing if it takes too much room, but if we fix it right,we might be able to dump it, if say, Law isn't starting by week 9 or something like that.

May 21st, 2005, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

At first I was against signing Law, then I started thinking about why would the Lions be looking at him or any other CB if they were satisfied with Bryant. I know what Millen said about keeping the options open, but they actually gave him a workout. I dont think they would do that unless they were serious about him. I dont think the Postons are a factor for the Lions as CRog is one of their clients and they have stated they have a good relationship with the Lions. If Mooch and/or Jauron arent satisfied with Bryant that worries me.
Just imagine Bly and Law (if in good health) back there. Two Pro Bowl corners. I think the Lions are truly thinking about a run toward the SB this year. It seems like forever that I have gotten that feeling from this Organization.

May 21st, 2005, 12:49 pm
Junior Varsity

JMO, but I don't think their interest has anything to do with their satisfaction with Bryant. I think it is as simple as an opportunity to nab a past pro bowl player.

May 21st, 2005, 4:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

JMO, but I don't think their interest has anything to do with their satisfaction with Bryant. I think it is as simple as an opportunity to nab a past pro bowl player.

I would tend to agree with you. It's a possible opportunity to be as deep at CB as we are at WR. Why not go for it if he's healthy and we can get him at a reasonable price.

May 21st, 2005, 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would tend to agree with you. It's a possible opportunity to be as deep at CB as we are at WR. Why not go for it if he's healthy and we can get him at a reasonable price.

The only problem is that there seems to be no way to get him at a reasonable price w/ the numbers the Poston's have been mentioning. But understand that as angents hired by the player they are going to the ceiling w/ the asking price for his agent knowing that teams are going to not offer as much to a player coming off injury. Agents do this all the time. I have no issue w/ that. What I do see as a problem is that I think Law has always shown himself to be a very selfish player. With that being said, would you see him swallowing his pride and taking an incentive laden deal for 2 years so he can prove his worth again? And at age 31? IMO, we don't need a selfish player who will take away from the overall team goal.

Tim

May 23rd, 2005, 12:57 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I dont want Law for four years. I really only want him for 2 and just one if I could get away with it. If we have the money, and Tom Lewand has been darn good at making sure we have it, I dont care what they give him for salary. I really dont care what his attitude is. To the best of my knowledge he has never been a problem in the locker room, he has the RING to show around, plus our starters have been here at least 2 years already so I cant see him disrupting anyone except Bryant. This is the year, if he is healthy, he makes the D. Bly, Law as corners, Bryant the nickel, Smith or Wilson as the dime, if Smith moves to FS as backup. Kennedy and Holt/Smith FS, The bigs in the middle, Hall and Redding/Cody on the outside. You put Wilson the burner on their fastest WR, Holt covering across the middle, the bigs clogging up inside. Running a Kennedy safety Blitz has got to scare a QB. That makes for pics, errant passes or sacks. Just think of the potential!! Now not only do we have DC's trying to figure out how to cover the big 3 plus pollard, how to stop the run with KJ now you have OC's trying to figure a game plan against that Defense. I know it is premature, but man pass the Kool-aid and give me a big helping of cornbread cause I AM HUNGRY and I am tired of waiting, I am 54 years old and a Lion fan my whole life, guys this could be the year. I am tired of hearing guys say we dont want to mortgage the future, Man the future is now. You can make fun, or call me foolish but this year has all the earmarks of a storybook type year. No teams ever gone to a SB when its in their city, the Lions hever have gone, a coach coming to his home state and taking his team to the SB, a President/GM of the club who had never been in any management capacity before. A QB on the verge of being booted out of town plus I think we could find a few more stories to go along with it, It could be next years big movie.

May 26th, 2005, 12:42 pm
RIP Killer

I know it is premature, but man pass the Kool-aid and give me a big helping of cornbread cause I AM HUNGRY and I am tired of waiting, I am 54 years old and a Lion fan my whole life, guys this could be the year.

CORNBREAD!!! I love cornbread posts, they make my day.

I don't think anyone we have right now would be a good FS, well, good enough to upseat Holt. Nobody has the ideal size to play FS IMO.

Terrance Holt - 6-2 208
Fernando Bryant - 5-11 175
Dre Bly - 5-10 185
Chris Cash - 5-10 185
Andre Goodman - 5-10 185
Keith Smith - 5-11 191
Stanley Wilson - 5-11.5 185
Ty Law - 5-11 200

Then again, there are many FS out there who are 5-10 and 190. However, I think they should be at least 6-0 and 200 to contend with the BMWs of the league, which is around the average. Keith Smith would be the best option IMO, but I think M&M would like to get him more involved at CB and groom him for the future. The guy has loads of potential.

Bryant would be making $1.2M per season in base salary w/o SB or incentives to play nickle corner would make me go Shocked Bryant's signed through 2010, so I doubt he's taken out of the starting role for 2 years to let an unproven-after-injury player take his spot, despite that fact that player (Law) has been to 3 (?) pro bowls.

May 26th, 2005, 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4