View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions show interest in Ty Law 
QB Coach

Gosh... Law is represented by the Postons... who said "he will get paid like he is meant to be paid"...

That pretty much rules us out...

May 12th, 2005, 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Fri, May 13, 2005 at 12:42 AM

Ty Law -- Will he be a Lion?

The Lions caused a stir by arranging a visit Tuesday with cornerback Ty Law. I saw Dre Bly at the Pistons-Pacers game Wednesday night and asked him what he thought. "You tell me," Bly said. "You're the writer." Well, since he asked, I have some thoughts. First, Dre Bly doesn't have to worry about his job. He's been to the Pro Bowl the last two years, and he's an important part of the team -- for production and the example he sets. But otherwise, there has to be some concern. Fernando Bryant, signed as a free agent last year, missed 10 games because of a sprained ankle. He didn't make any impact, and he could be vulnerable if the Lions sign Law. The ripple effect could filter down on the depth chart. Andre Goodman and Chris Cash are going into their fourth seasons. They both won't be on the roster if the Lions sign Law. Next are two young cornerbacks, Keith Smith, a rookie in '04, and Stanley Wilson, a third-round pick in last month's draft. They both will have roster spots. Regardless of who would be affected by the shakeup if Law becomes a Lion, the question is whether it is worth the Lions' while to pursue him. Other teams are interested, and Law likely will want a deal in place in the next couple of weeks. He is a 200-pound cornerback and plays a physical game, unlike any of the other veteran cornerbacks on the roster. They are all slightly built. Whoever signs Law has to make sure his broken left foot has healed, and that he will be available at some point in training camp. If the price is right, and Law's foot has healed, he'll be worth the price for some team. It could be Detroit.

Mike O'Hara - Weblog / Detroit News

I think the key phrase here is 'If the price is right". I'd love to see a healthy Ty Law as a Lion - I just don't know that it could happen.

May 13th, 2005, 5:33 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Making the Law
As Ty Law gets healthier, interest in him increases. So does his opportunities. With the Miami Dolphins showing interest after losing second-year cornerback Will Poole for the season with a knee injury, Law has at least three teams interested. The Jets and Lions are two viable options.

The Jets need a replacement for cornerback Donnie Abraham, who is going to retire in June. The Lions wanted to use the 10th pick in the first round on a cornerback but the three cornerbacks that interested them were drafted. The interest by the Lions must scare a Jets team that needs him a little. Law's agent, Kevin Poston, hasn't had any problems working out deals with the Lions.

Could be a bigger possibility than some think.

May 13th, 2005, 8:06 am
Hall of Fame Player

Miami has salary cap room the last I looked - the Jets don't.

The whole issue of salary and salary cap number is a lot like buying a car. The total price of the car is something to consider; but the only thing that really matters is the monthly payment. It's unlikely that you'll own the car in the final years of the contract because it's older and broken down.

In the NFL the most important consideration is the cap number. Even if the long term contract total is outrageous - can you afford the annual cap number? (For the first few years anyway).

I have no clue what Laws demands are but if we could get his cap number down to $2 Mil for the first two years we might be able to swing a deal. Any more than that I'm not sure we could afford it. But then even then someone more expensive than Cash or Goodman would have to go and Miami could still outbid us.

This will be interesting.

May 13th, 2005, 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

From John Clayton
Making the Law
As Ty Law gets healthier, interest in him increases. So does his opportunities. With the Miami Dolphins showing interest after losing second-year cornerback Will Poole for the season with a knee injury, Law has at least three teams interested. The Jets and Lions are two viable options.

The Jets need a replacement for cornerback Donnie Abraham, who is going to retire in June. The Lions wanted to use the 10th pick in the first round on a cornerback but the three cornerbacks that interested them were drafted. The interest by the Lions must scare a Jets team that needs him a little. Law's agent, Kevin Poston, hasn't had any problems working out deals with the Lions.

Could be a bigger possibility than some think

after watching what john clayton had to say on the late sportscenter edition (may 12th) i was under the impression that the lions in his opinion are now the front-runners over n.y.jets and the miami dolphins to acquire his services.

from all impressions millen absolutely loves this guy. he knows the injury is a concern but realizes that workouts/physicals will show if law still has the cut back ability and acceleration to tell whether or not he still possess the ability to be a top 5 corner in the league.
he knows there is a time frame before the lions would sign law. if he proves he's not a injury liabilty and comes at a decent price tag look for the lions to be in the market for law.

corner-back is not a critical need for the lions so look for the right situation before any trigger is pulled to sign him. if and only if the situation presents itself with a great deal will the lions sign law.
the cap hit will be a determining factor. we have already poured several millions on bly and bryant.

my perspective is this: if you have the right price and determine that the injury is a non-contributing factor then pull the trigger.
when healthy law is one of the top corner's in the nfl. (champ, surtain mccallister).

either way it's refreshing to see the lions still active and not sitting on their lorals. maybe by taking the pro-active approach and not the re-active approach the lions objective will be to become an aggressive team instead of a conservative team.

GO LIONS !!!!!!!!!!!

May 13th, 2005, 9:01 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Love it. Loved it when he played a U of M too. Get him Millen.

May 13th, 2005, 2:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Law won't come Cheaply
Quote:
NFL | Law won't come Cheaply - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 14 May 2005 03:23:45 -0700

The Miami Herald reports free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) is not thinking of signing a one-year contract with an NFL team. His agent, Carl Poston, said Law wants a contract that pays him in the ballpark of the NFL's better cornerbacks. ''I don't think there's any question that Ty is still Ty Law,'' Poston said during a radio interview Friday, May 13. "He had the injury, but he's ahead of schedule.'' ''He got the screws taken out about 10 or 12 days ago,'' Poston said. "He's talked to some doctors with Miami and Kansas City and Detroit, and everybody's giving him the OK so he's in good shape.''

------------------------

This doesn't look real good for the Lions - but we can hope.

May 14th, 2005, 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

Quote:
This doesn't look real good for the Lions - but we can hope.

we know the only way to acquire law is to get him at a discounted price.

if the lions can't get him at a good price then oh well.

postons blows hot air. they ask the world for players and often make the player holdout (and we know players who hold out of camp usually sustain injuries from that holdout). law will not get top corner pay anywhere.his age and injuries will restrict that.

i think fernando bryant will have a much better year after sustaining injuries for most of the season.
i hope stanley wilson will show something and not be a wasted pick.

but your correct if poston is asking for a 4yr 20 plus million dollar deal then detoit will say thanks but no thanks.

May 14th, 2005, 9:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

How are his injuries? Last I heard, he was using a scooter to get around. I don't want to commit any money to someone who, even if he make a full recovery, wont play for us for too long.

May 14th, 2005, 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

from the news i have heard about the break it's not an issue of the injury being too severe or career threatening but the troubling fact is that he is negotiating a new contract during his recovery stage.
your right though if he doesn't play immediately it's a waste of a move.

law will have to recover quickly.
his recooperative skills at his age will be a definite determining factor of his progress.

whatever team signs him will have to have some cap flexibility.

miami is cap stricken and detroit is vertially the same.
ny jets is also in need.

i wouldn't expect any signing of law until he proves that the injury will not be a contributing factor.

GO LIONS !!!!!!!!!!!

May 14th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post USA Today on Ty Law
Quote:
Posted 5/14/2005 10:17 PM - USA Today

Detroit Lions

Inside Slant

The Lions already are assured of having a new look in their defensive secondary next season and team president Matt Millen might have additional changes in mind.
Millen's first move was to sign strong safety Kenoy Kennedy from Denver in the early days of free agency, giving the Lions a physical presence they have been lacking in the defensive backfield.

But he met last week with cornerback Ty Law, released by New England for cap reasons in late February, giving indications he is serious about making another acquisition for the Lions secondary.

With Law and Kennedy in the same backfield, the Lions would have one of the NFL's most physical combinations involved in pass coverages, but it would raise questions regarding exactly how the Lions would use what seems to be an abundance of defensive back talent.

Kennedy already has taken over the strong safety position and cornerback Dre' Bly, a Pro Bowl selection in each of the past two seasons, is ticketed for the right corner.

It has been assumed that Fernando Bryant, who missed six games last season with an ankle injury after being signed as an unrestricted free agent, would line up at the left corner and two-year veteran Terrence Holt would replace Brock Marion at free safety.

If the Lions are able to sign Law, however, that could change. Law undoubtedly would be a starter and that might shake loose one of the other cornerbacks to compete with Holt for the free safety job.

In addition, the Lions have more depth than they've had in several years with veterans Chris Cash and Andre Goodman, second-year cornerback Keith Smith and rookie Stanley Wilson all competing for playing time.

"You know the rule I always go back to ? you can never have enough corners," Millen said. "And it's so true. Every time you turn around somebody gets hurt."

NOTES, QUOTES

? In three seasons with the Lions, Eddie Drummond has established himself as one of the NFL's most dangerous kickoff and punt returners, a fact that was validated by his selection to the NFC Pro Bowl team last season.

Unfortunately for Drummond and the Lions, however, it has been equally established that he cannot seem to make it through the season healthy.

In three seasons, Drummond has missed a total of 20 games because of injuries ? five as a rookie in 2002, 10 in 2003 and five more last year after suffering a broken shoulder blade in the Thanksgiving Day game against Indianapolis.

Although x-rays have shown the injury to be completely healed, Drummond is once again stuck in a red jersey, meaning defensive players can't have any contact with him during the offseason minicamps.

"It kind of sucks," Drummond said, laughing. "It's me and Charles Rogers over there together, watching the rest of the guys.

"It's just the first minicamp and they're just trying to see the rookies but ? at the same time ? we've got teammates over there we want to compete against and get after a little bit. It kind of gets to us."

The Lions expect Drummond to be ready to work in training camp in late July and they're hoping he'll pick up where he left off a year ago. In the 11 games he played, Drummond scored two touchdowns on punt returns and two on kickoff returns. He averaged 13.2 yards returning punts and 26.6 yards returning kickoffs.

? Jason Randall didn't have a spectacular career as a tight end at Michigan State with 52 receptions for 594 yards and five touchdowns, but he caught coach Steve Mariucci's eye in the Lions' minicamp.

"He's the biggest tight end we've had in a while but for his size he runs well and I've been really impressed with him," Mariucci said. "Good guy, studious. For a guy his size, you might think this is a blocking tight end (but) he seemed to move around and run some routes pretty darned well."

Randall is listed as 6-feet-9 and 265 pounds. He was not drafted, but the Lions signed him as a free agent in the days after the draft and he had an impressive minicamp with the team.

At Michigan State, Randall had his most productive season in his sophomore year when he caught 20 passes for 255 yards and three touchdowns. The following year he caught 21 balls but his production dropped to 218 yards and two touchdowns, and as a senior he caught 11 passes for 121 yards and had no touchdowns.

The Lions feel he has the athletic ability to compete with Leonard Stephens for the No. 3 tight end job behind Marcus Pollard and Casey FitzSimmons.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "He's just starting to run now. He's got some work ahead of him. We'll have to monitor it but I'd be very interested in him." - Lions president Matt Millen on the team's interest in signing free agent cornerback Ty Law.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: QB Rick Mirer; DT Kelvin Pritchett; CB Dainon Sidney; WR Tai Streets; FB Stephen Trejo.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: WR Eddie Drummond.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: DT Marcus Bell; OT Sean Bubin; CB Chris Cash; CB Mike Echols; TE Casey FitzSimmons; S Vernon Fox; CB Andre Goodman; OG Tyrone Hopson; WR David Kircus; LS Jody Littleton; LS Don Muhlbach; LB Wali Rainer; C Dominic Raiola; OT Victor Rogers; WR Scottie Vines; S Bracy Walker.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: G Rick DeMulling; QB Jeff Garcia; WR Kevin Johnson; S Kenoy Kennedy; OT Kyle Kosier; TE Marcus Pollard; RB Jamel White.

PLAYERS LOST: TE Stephen Alexander; CB Rod Babers; WR Az-Zahir Hakim; OT Matt Joyce; S Brock Marion; RT Stockar McDougle; QB Mike McMahon; WR Reggie Swinton; S Brian Walker.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... s/home.htm

------------------------->

Lot's to think about in this article. Not only Ty Law but also UDFA John Randell.

As for Law it still remains as to what his health status is. If healthy and we can beat out Miami (salary cap wise) this could be a huge addition for us.

May 15th, 2005, 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: WR Eddie Drummond.

Time keeps on ticking ticking ticking, into the future...

Come on Millen, surely you can neg. a contract with eddie inbetween working out old injured has-beens. :lol:

May 15th, 2005, 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Okay, I got bored and decided to throw my two cents into the Law situation and where he may end up. The teams that have the cap room to sign Law to a contract that Law thinks he deserves are: (all cap #s are BEFORE signing rookies and have roughly $2.5M of room to play with after signing draftees)

Cards $9.85M - They could use another quality corner outside of Rolle (who remains unproven) and Macklin, who's solid. They do have Eric Green who could immediately step in on the nickle.

Ravens $5.99M - Lost 3 CBs to FA. Could easily add another solid player to the mix. McAllister is solid and Rolle is a stud. Is Deion coming back? It's slightly possible the go after Law, but doubtful.

Bears $5.5M - Azumah and Vasher are good. Signing Law is highly unprobably since they cut McQuarters due to not wanting to pay him $2M a year.

Browns $7.86M - A desperate team does desperate things. They did get Baxter from Baltimore but they have terrible depth and no real shut down CB. Losing Anthony Henry really hurt this secondary.

Cowboys $9.35M - They have 7 or 8 on their roster with some change invested in Henry. Newman is solid and Pete Hunter showed some stuff last season.

Texans $8.38M - Dunta Robinson is a stud, Phillip Buchanan is very solid, and Demarcus Faggins is solid. Overpaying Law would be extremely unlikely.

Colts $6.3M - Drafting Marlin Jackson kind of closed the Colts eyes to Law. Jason David and Nick Harper are both decent, not shut down CBs, but solid IMO, and they're both young.

Jags $6.3M
- They could use a guy like Law in their secondary. Rashean Mathis is the only guy I like of this group. Not impressed with Terry Cousin or Kenny Wright.

Dolphins $6.6M - Losing Surtain sucks for the 'Phins. They definately will try to get Law, at a good price. They're in a position of having to overpay him.

Vikes $10.7M - having Winfield and signing Smoot in FA almost shuts down the notion of signing Law. They won't overpay for a #3, even if Brian Williams holds out.

Eagles $9.23M - With Sheppard being a stud and Brown who's solid, the Eagles wouldn't overpay a CB to come there. They already have enough contract/ego problems, Reid wouldn't go for it.

Chargers $7.27M - Jammer didn't put up stellar numbers last season, but he's still a shut down CB. Florence played well with 4 picks. They only have 4 on their roster and could use to add another, doubtful they'd pay such a high priced FA though.

So IMO, it comes down to the 'Phins, Browns, and possibly Jags.

May 16th, 2005, 2:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Law might have to lower demands
Quote:
Updated: May 16, 2005

Law might have to lower demands

By Randy Mueller
ESPN Insider

NFL fans looking for something to follow besides the soap opera in Philadelphia between Terrell Owens and the Eagles' front office can focus over the next few weeks on what I think is the most interesting signing to be. That would be former Patriots cornerback Ty Law and his attempt, with the help of agents Kevin and Carl Poston, to find a home for the 2005 season and beyond.

Several angles make this a case worth following. Law missed the final nine games of last season, including the playoffs and Super Bowl, because of a broken left foot. The injury required surgery, and the latest chapter unfolded about two weeks ago when he had screws removed. He reportedly has been cleared to jog straight ahead but can't cut, accelerate, turn and run or perform any other skills required to play defensive back at any level, much less in the NFL. A broken foot for a defensive back is a major concern. It's anyone's guess if Law will regain the explosiveness he needs to react and cover, and there's always the threat of re-injury.

Law

Other stumbling blocks remain as well. Teams have very little precious cap room at this point. As we approach June 1 and teams prepare to sign their draft picks, they are looking to create cap space, not use it up. During this part of the offseason, teams frequently must balance money added to the cap by directly subtracting, and releasing players.

It could be a long time before that foot is ready.

May 16th, 2005, 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I could see Law having to wait until the start of the season before getting signed. He should definitely lower his contract demands, in both length and cash amounts. Were I his agent I would suggest he be willing to accept a one year deal to prove himself for around $1.5 million with realistic performance bonus' to match the salary amount. No smart team will touch him for more than $3 million for a year. And if he hasn't earned enough money by now, he'll never have enough.

If I were Matt Millen, I would offer a contract like this:

2 year deal-2nd year voidable by player (by 3/1/2006).

Signing bonus=$1.00 million
Year One:
Salary = $1.25 million
Roster bonus due 3/1/2006 = $1.0 million
Performance bonuses:
Play 50% of defensive plays = $ 50,000
Play 70% of defensive plays = $250,000
Play 90% of defensive plays = $750,000
Lead team in interceptions = $250,000

Year Two:
Salary = $1.75 million
Performance bonuses:
Play 50% of defensive plays = $100,000
Play 70% of defensive plays = $250,000
Play 90% of defensive plays = $750,000
Lead team in interceptions = $250,000

Totals: $3.0 million in salary
$1.0 million in signing bonus (guaranteed)
$1.0 million in roster bonus
$2.0 million in performance bonus max

Overall: 2 years, 7 million dollars

Enough here to allow him to prove himself, and won't cost the Lions an arm and a leg if he gets cut or decides to void the final year.

May 17th, 2005, 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next