View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions show interest in Ty Law 
Water Boy

Post Jets, Dolphins losing interest
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ ... -headlines

donnie abraham is returning to camp..and the jets have stated that they will not pursue law if they retained the 31 year-old CB who was considering retirement.

the dolphins already traded a veteren high-priced cornerback, patrick surtain, and they dont have the cap to pay law.

millen has a history of taking risks on injured palyers (shawn rogers) and he seems to pick 'em pretty well.

i would love to see the lions sign him to a long-term deal, assuming ty's okay with playing safety 2-3 years down the road.

law is a much better db than dre bly, who in my opinion is too slow to keep up with the faster wr's in the league and only was a pro-bowler last year due to his overrated reputation.

fernando bryant sucks.

law would drastically increase our chances of not only competing for the nfc north but dominating it.

May 17th, 2005, 10:21 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Clayton seems to think Lions are Law's first choice. Near the cap fringe this begs the question: who will get cut to facillitate this signing? Holmes, Bryant, or Big Daddy? I guess it would depend on the deal, which would be backloaded, but I am pretty sure a previous starter would have to go to clear room?

May 17th, 2005, 10:23 pm
RIP Killer

When healthy, Bryant will be a very solid CB, especially with the talent around him on this team. It's not like Bryant was terrible in Jax, he was very good.

Bly is a shut down CB. I can agree he's definately not what he was 2 years ago. Law is overrated as well, it's all in someone's personal opinion. Law's injury, which isn't a devastating injury, could hamper his playing early on this year.

Yorick, I think Big Daddy has the least room to slack during camp. There's other players that can play inside (Bell, Cody, Redding), which makes BD more expendable than the rest IMO.

Bryant won't be cut this year or even next IMO. The cap hit would be huge. The Lions can't afford to take a $4.8M cap hit this year. Next year I think his cap hit is somewhere around $2.5M. They'd keep him at that price I believe, unless Keith Smith absolutely dominates this year.

May 17th, 2005, 10:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Mike O'Hara / Weblog

Tue, May 17, 2005 at 9:00 PM

Rookies Report, Ty Law on Hold -- More to Come

The news of the day concerning the Lions is no real news. All but three of the team's 25 rookies -- six draft picksd and 19 free agents -- reported Monday and began participating Tuesday in the off-season conditioning program. The three absentees were excused -- cornerback Stanley Wilson, defensive lineman Bill Swancutt and safety Chip Cox. Their schools aren't out until June, and rules adopted by the NCAA and NFL do not allow rookies to participate until after school is out. The rookies will lift, run, attend meetings and do some on-field drills to get up to speed with the veterans when they report to training camp on July 28. The rookies still won't be at the same level as the veterans, but this period is valuable for them. They get exposed to the pro environment. As for Ty Law, the cornerback who is shopping for a new team after being released by the Patriots, there's not much to report. He visited the Lions last week. Miami and the Jets also have an interest. There might be another team or two that goes after him. While Law heals from a broken left foot that caused him to miss nine games and all of the playoffs last season, teams will wait. They don't want to sign damaged goods. If he's healthy, Law can help a team, including the Lions, but he has to be healthy.

Welcome 2Faithful, Glad you're here.

As of 29/Apr. Miami had $6.6 Mil in cap space, almost double the Lions $3.48 Mil. Both teams have to sign their rookies too. To acquire Law someone (or two) people have to go. (Getting rid of Ekols and/or Cash won't clear enough cap space). It won't be Bryant - the cap hit would be to much. And in fairness to him he's not that bad when healthy. So you really are looking at Holmes or Wilkenson. To me either of those is a lot to give up for a 31 y.o. CB. Are you willing to lose one of them on the chance Law's foot heels?

Earlier in this thread M2K laid out a contract he would propose. While I personally feel it might be fair and reasonable - Law's agents (the Poston Bros.) are not fair and reasonable people. There is no chance that they would let Law sign a contract with only $1 Mil of guaranteed money. And to be sure, someone in the NFL will offer more than that.

I agree with you Millen has been lucky on injured players; but Rogers at age 21 was a much smaller risk than Law at 31. If healthy, Law might be one of the top 5 CB's in the league - unhealthy, he's not in the top 100.

I'd love to add Law to the roster and have Bryant be there as nickel and/or swing man; if he's healthy and affordable. The problem right now is he's neither of those.

May 18th, 2005, 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

The Postons have been very reasonable in dealings with the Lions. If other reports are correct, Law isn't getting any big offers. And he's the type of proud guy that might take a incentive-laden contract.

Signs are there's still a chance we could get him at a reasonable price.

May 18th, 2005, 9:30 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Quote:
Law is overrated as well

your assessments are usually right on que but conversation i must disagree respectively that law is overrated.
he makes play after play when it is needed most.
imho when healthy(?) he is a top 3 cb in this league.
however; age might start playing a factor and if injuries persist he will be a shell of what he used to be.

2 factors must be present in order to sign law for detroit:

(#1) his injury must be verified thru physicals and workouts to establish that the injury will not be a factor and that he can revert to his old self.

(#2) salary demands must be lowered enormously. a max of 2 yrs.

your right about bryant he was injured all year and never recovered and w/n be cut for the salary cap hit would be too severe.

possibly a few of players to be cut if law is signed:
kalimba edwards (just because he sucks), goodman(playing time regardless will be minimum), keith smith (needs to step up his game trifold). chris cash(surprise!!!! but this once promising cb has shown little since to warrant keeping).
the salaries of these players are extremely low so multiple cuts would be needed.

a solution to all of this is restructure harringtons contract to alleivate some cap relief - it's not like he has earned his money, yet!!!!!!!!
DON'T GET ME WRONG I AM NOT HATING ON JOEY AND REALIZE THE TALENT AROUND HIM FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS HAS BEEN FOR poop BUT WHY NOT HELP THE TEAM ANYWAY HE CAN.

REALISTICALLY WE SHOULD ALL HOPE THAT JOEY SUCCEEDS FOR IF HE DOESN'T THE TEAM WILL STEP BACK 2-3 YEARS AGAIN.

it's probably all acedemic and the law of probabilities(pun) will probably see law signing in a different direction.

all is good and just my opinion.

GO LIONS !!!!!!!!!

May 18th, 2005, 10:24 am
RIP Killer

I have started (or soon will) a thread surrounding Lions players contracts that can be renegotiated to allow for cap relief. There are better savings to be had than Kalimba Edwards or Andre Goodman when it comes to roster cuts. See my initial post in the thread I mentioned.

May 18th, 2005, 11:04 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Quote:
There are better savings to be had than Kalimba Edwards

regardless, kalima sucks he needs the ax.

May 18th, 2005, 11:18 am
RIP Killer

regardless, kalima sucks he needs the ax.

Let training camp dictate who gets cut, not the signing of another player. I am not a Kalimba Edwards fan by any means, but I think he should be given a shot to prove he has recovered from his hernia fully. I know from a personal standpoint that an injury like that takes a LOOOONG time to heal fully, if it ever does.

May 18th, 2005, 11:41 am
Pop Warner Allstar

KALIMBA HAS HAD MORE CHANCES THAN HIS FAIR SHARE.

he needs the boot.

after the hernia what excuse will he be given.

he's had 4 years of misery - let him go!!!!!!!!!

May 18th, 2005, 2:22 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

he needs the boot.

It's the harrington effect. "1 more year. No more excuses." Not that I disagree in either case (cause I don't) but I see your point.

May 18th, 2005, 2:39 pm
RIP Killer

he needs the boot.

Actually Ron, it's been three years. His first year was not miserable, as he showed promise in a limited role. His second year he was playing with his hernia injury and got a 'temporary' fix that continued to hinder him. Last year he was still recovering from the 'permanent' surgical repair and showed improvement toward the end of the year.

I understand your frustration. I too would have hoped that the 35th pick in 2002 would have blossomed as a legitimate pass rushing threat by now. However, Devries has been in this league three years longer and has NEVER been considered a pass rusher. He is a quality backup, and I would like to see the Lions be able to keep him. However, it would be foolish to let Edwards go now without his being able to win a job in training camp. Devries will be 29 in less than a month, where Edwards won't be 26 until the day after Christmas. It's a bit early in his career to throw him away without showing what he can do when healthy and mature.

May 18th, 2005, 3:43 pm
RIP Killer

2005Lion, I agree that Law is a top CB in the game before his injury (aka when healthy). However, he has yet to prove that he is a top CB in the game after injury. His age is getting up there and his chances or returning to that elite status are dwindling, that's what I meant by saying he's overrated. Right now, he isn't what he was 2 years ago.

May 18th, 2005, 4:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Dolphins won't sign Law
Quote:
Dolphins | Law Signing not Going to Happen? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 19 May 2005 22:36:30 -0700

The Palm Beach Post reports Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban said any hopes to sign free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) are "fantasy football," because the Dolphins can't afford him at his current contract price.

This could be posturing on the part of the Dolphins but it also speaks to Laws asking price. Miami has double the cap space that the lions do at this point; so if they can't afford him - neither can we.

This means that the 3 teams that showed the most interest - Jets, Dolphins and Lions - Detroit is the only one still interested.

The question I have is this:

Assuming money is close; Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

That's got to be the case with Miami.

May 20th, 2005, 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Assuming money is close; Isn't it about time free agents choose Detroit because we're closer to winning?

I agree w/ you on this. But if Law doesn't accept an incentive laden deal for at the max 2 years, then why even consider it? I think that Law needs to swallow his pride and tell his agents to accept the best deal he can get so that he can prove himself again. I think his contract needs to have language saying if he plays a certain amount of plays or a certain percantage of the plays, then his salary would escalate accordingly. Not sure if the Poston's would accept that kind of offer, but that's what Millen should offer once he proves his injury is completely healed.

Tim

May 20th, 2005, 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next