View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions have something special brewing 
Modmin Dude

Post Lions have something special brewing
Siefert wrote:
Lions have something special brewing
October, 2, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Maybe it was because Nate Burleson was wearing some thick, Clark Kent-looking glasses as part of his postgame get-up. I don’t know. But of everything I heard in the Detroit Lions' locker room Sunday afternoon, nothing sounded smarter than what the veteran receiver uttered near the end of an interview session.

"We haven’t done anything yet," Burleson said.

Yes, at 4-0, the Lions are one of two undefeated teams in the NFL. (Our Green Bay outpost is the other.) The Kardiac Kitties erased a 24-point third-quarter deficit to defeat the Dallas Cowboys 34-30 at Cowboys Stadium, the largest comeback for a road team in NFL history, and will provide the freshest story imaginable for their return to "Monday Night Football" next week.

But my suggestion for the Lions is to view this stretch as the beginning -- and ensure it isn’t the highlight -- of their season. We all like to think that hot teams are building for long-term success, and perhaps that will prove the case with these Lions. But the NFL has a funny way of evening out over time, and the Lions would be wise to recognize they have something special brewing and start planning accordingly.

How else to explain the past two weeks? "Special" and "unique" don’t do it justice. The Lions are the first team in NFL history to erase 20-plus-point deficits in consecutive weeks. On Sept. 25, they rallied for a 26-23 victory over the Minnesota Vikings, and on Sunday they trailed 27-3 about three minutes into the third quarter before outscoring the Cowboys 31-3 thereafter.

It’s been 54 years since the Lions have come back from as far down as 24 points, home or away. They deserve enormous credit for pulling it off Sunday, but let’s be honest. The historic rarity suggests it takes more than just a great effort by the winning team. It also requires a fair amount of cooperation from your opponent, and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and coach Jason Garrett each contributed to the cause in their own way.

Romo threw three second-half interceptions, two of which the Lions returned for touchdowns, and Garrett presided over some late-game schematic meltdowns. (Most notable: leaving receiver Calvin Johnson in single coverage against cornerback Terence Newman on what resulted in the winning touchdown play.)

"Any time you come back from 20-something, you’re doing some kind of stealing," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "We played good in the second half to come back and steal it."

There are no apologies necessary for stealing a game, whether you’re a team with the history of the Lions or the reigning Super Bowl champions. In fact, if you’re into karmic observation, you can view it as a sign that things finally are going the Lions’ way.

The Cowboys, after all, hammered the Lions in every facet in the first half, and Jason Witten’s 1-yard touchdown catch made it 27-3 after the opening drive of the third quarter. In our Countdown Live chat, I joked that the Lions had ‘em right where they wanted ‘em. But I don’t think anyone, the Lions included, could have conceived what would happen next.

The Lions scored 31 points in the next 23 minutes, 33 seconds of the game. It started with linebacker Bobby Carpenter’s 34-yard interception return for a touchdown, continued when cornerback Chris Houston did the same, included place-kicker Jason Hanson’s 51-yard field goal along with Johnson’s pair of touchdowns.

In truth, the Lions didn’t make many adjustments against Romo in the second half. All three of their interceptions came when they used a standard four-man pass rush, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham blitzed on only 10.9 percent of Romo’s drop-backs.

Quite simply, Romo made poor decisions and threw into coverage. What the Lions did was accept those gifts, capitalize on them and transfer the energy to their sideline.

"I didn’t think it could get bigger than last week," center Dominic Raiola said. "This is bigger. It’s definitely bigger because of the type of team they are. This is the biggest win since I’ve been here."

Slight correction, Dom. It’s your biggest win so far. The Lions aren’t just off to a surprising start. With every passing week, it appears they have the combination of guile, playmakers and good fortune to do something special. You might argue the Lions are two history-making games from being 2-2. I've watched it and wondered whether Lions Fever hasn't given way to, dare we say, Detroit's Destiny.

"The way the guys have banded together, it’s something I haven’t seen," Burleson said. "We’re learning how to win."

And they’re only getting started.

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/po ... al-brewing

Get on, hang on and enjoy the ride!
Go Lions!!!
headbang.gif

October 3rd, 2011, 10:07 am
All State

Post Re: Lions have something special brewing
This is a going to end up being a special season .. It was great to see Houston get burned, then get yelled @ on the sideline , then come back with the pick 6 .. the Lions are playing when it counts the most ; The 2nd half .. Man this has been a long time coming after seeing stuff like this happen to us for the whole past decade damn near, to see it happen to other teams , cause of what we are doing is such a wonderful feeling ..

October 3rd, 2011, 10:33 am
RIP Killer

3 road wins already is amazing. If they take care of business at home this year they can finish no worse than with 11 wins - wow!

Finished the first quarter of the season 4-0, now lets peek ahead to the next four where we kick off 3 straight a home.

Chicago on MNF at Ford Field
San Fran at Ford Field
Atlanta at Ford Field
Denver at Mile High

That puts us at the halfway mark and our bye week. Lions sitting pretty right now.

October 3rd, 2011, 10:39 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Pablo wrote:
3 road wins already is amazing. If they take care of business at home this year they can finish no worse than with 11 wins - wow!

Finished the first quarter of the season 4-0, now lets peek ahead to the next four where we kick off 3 straight a home.

San Fran at Ford Field
Atlanta at Ford Field
Denver at Mile High

That puts us at the halfway mark and our bye week. Lions sitting pretty right now.

8-0 :)

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 3rd, 2011, 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pablo wrote:

San Fran at Ford Field
Atlanta at Ford Field
Denver at Mile High

Looking at that upcoming schedule I see 3-1 with no problem and you could probably argue they could go 4-0.

Winning on the road this year has been huge, especially coming back and overcoming such large deficits. Shows a lot of character in the players and the coaches in not giving up.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:28 am
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

San Fran at Ford Field
Atlanta at Ford Field
Denver at Mile High

SF will be tough. But, I think we will wipe the floor with Chicago, Atlanta, and Denver. None of them have a good O-line.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:32 am
Hall of Fame Player

I am starting to get my hopes up that both the Lions and Packers will be undefeated going into the Thanksgiving day game. How completely awesome would that be? Of course the Lions emerging as the sole undefeated team afterwards would be the bomb!

October 3rd, 2011, 11:37 am
1st Round Pick

BillySims wrote:
I am starting to get my hopes up that both the Lions and Packers will be undefeated going into the Thanksgiving day game. How completely awesome would that be? Of course the Lions emerging as the sole undefeated team afterwards would be the bomb!

If they both are undefeated going into that game, I see Packers having no chance.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:

If they both are undefeated going into that game, I see Packers having no chance.

Hummm, the defending NFL Champions at 10-0 have "no chance" to win a game? WOW!

October 3rd, 2011, 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Pablo wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:

The Lions aren't playing as good as their record. Its pause for concern. Until they do play better, every team we face isn't an automatic W.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:56 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Pablo wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Kool-aid! :D

Think of it... Lions undefeated going into Thanksgiving game, national tv, HOME game, I don't see them losing it.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:

I've never heard of someone needing their stomach pumped from too much Kool-aid but Lions2SB2 could be the first... :lol:

October 3rd, 2011, 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Walk On

Pablo wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:

I've never heard of someone needing their stomach pumped from too much Kool-aid but Lions2SB2 could be the first... :lol:

he might need a pancreas transplant :D I'm sure some Vikings fan would be willing to donate

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

October 3rd, 2011, 12:27 pm
1st Round Pick

thegodjr wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:

he might need a pancreas transplant :D I'm sure some Vikings fan would be willing to donate

Probably and I do live in Minnesota. :wink:

October 3rd, 2011, 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I'd like to see us take a lead again and hold it throughout the game. We can't count on these historic second half comebacks over and over. The next four games could go anywhere from 2-2 to 4-0. I see us going 3-1 losing to either Atlanta or San Fran. Home field will help but Atlanta hasn't put it all together yet (which they could at any moment, that game will probably be a shootout) and San Fran has looked pretty decent. Harbaugh was the right hire for them. If we get a lead on them, I don't think Alex Smith will be able to get them back into the game.

If we play our best for the full 60 minutes we're going to the playoffs and we'll get at least 10 wins. At least.

October 3rd, 2011, 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next