View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions have something special brewing 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions have something special brewing
conversion02 wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:
The running game just needs to catch rhythm ,and it wont be long ..

What makes you think that? Have you seen the pathetic blocking, or lack thereof?

I did see Best and Williams pop some decent runs against the Cowboys. And the fact is, last season the run game did pretty well in the final weeks. It's entirely possible that because of the Lions having so much success passing the ball teams will start to drop their safeties back more, and hopefully cause the linebackers to start stepping back first and give just that extra split second for the hole to stay open, or allow a blocker to get into better position.

October 6th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Lions2SB2 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Well, in fairness, it was louder in Dallas than any stadium i have have ever seen in 20 years (I made that comment to pablo a couple times)...and it didn't help the home team. Also, the fans were still loud as hell until the last minute

I was at the MN game and it was superloud(false start Hell for us), but bein that it's a bunch of Viking fans, many people started leaving before OT even started

Was there also, and to my shock some of them started to complain and hoping to lose once the Lions won the toss in OT.

Ya, Viking fans may have the most front runners cuz I was hearing the same things and have heard it for years. No wonder all the superstars leave MN.

Where were you sittin?

October 6th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Pro Bowl Player

m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:
The running game just needs to catch rhythm ,and it wont be long ..

What makes you think that? Have you seen the pathetic blocking, or lack thereof?

I did see Best and Williams pop some decent runs against the Cowboys. And the fact is, last season the run game did pretty well in the final weeks. It's entirely possible that because of the Lions having so much success passing the ball teams will start to drop their safeties back more, and hopefully cause the linebackers to start stepping back first and give just that extra split second for the hole to stay open, or allow a blocker to get into better position.

While I hope that you are right in your assumption that teams will start to drop back based on the success of our passing game, my biggest fear is that they'll do just the opposite. What I mean is, against the cowboys, Stafford choked when they brought pressure. And if the bears watched the same thing I did against the cowboy's, they smell blood.

Im just hoping that Stafford can be better against the blitz in the future than he was last weekend.

October 7th, 2011, 12:49 am
Profile WWW
All State

People forget that Stafford is learning out here , this is really just his 2nd yr .. Not making excuses Im just saying ..

October 7th, 2011, 8:20 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

it would be nice to have a running game that could get 1st downs and eat clock to hold leads but i dont think we NEED a good running game. Meaning that we can win without one. Stafford and his nerves were his own enemy against the Cowboys but he came around and made the plays he had to make. The OL again was a factor. Have to agree with the previous poster he is at what 17 starts now? We will see Stafford become more consistent as the season goes on. I expected him to throw more INTs this year but he knows where to go with the ball and see s the defense his INTs have been throws that were off target not bonehead plays by him

October 7th, 2011, 9:04 am
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:
While I hope that you are right in your assumption that teams will start to drop back based on the success of our passing game, my biggest fear is that they'll do just the opposite. What I mean is, against the cowboys, Stafford choked when they brought pressure. And if the bears watched the same thing I did against the cowboy's, they smell blood.

Im just hoping that Stafford can be better against the blitz in the future than he was last weekend.

I understand your point, and I agree. If the Bears feel that they have to stop the pass they will dial up blitzes.

That's where the draw and screen passes have to come into play. The Lions need to start doing some bubble screens with Burleson or Young. If the CBs are jamming them, then dump it out to Best or do a TE screen.

Since the Bears are likely to have Tillman shadowing CJ, what I'd like to see is for the Lions to bring in Stovall more often to line up against Tim Jennings. A 5'8" corner against a 6'3" WR? I'd say we have the advantage there.

October 7th, 2011, 10:45 am
RIP Killer

The bears corners do a great job at jamming at the line, they rarely play 5-10 yards off the WR. They get very close for the initial bump so the pass rush can get to the QB. They do a very good job at it and Staff will need his WRs to get open quickly, so he can dump the ball off before our swiss cheese line gets him hurt.

I think we'll see A LOT of dumps to Pett, Titus, and Best.

October 7th, 2011, 11:37 am
Pro Bowl Player

Yeh, M2k and Conv this is exactly what I don't want to see happen.

Play the game the way they want to, and as I read the posts from a few different Bear's sites, many of them elude to that fact as well. While they were all giving Detroit the respect they haven't deserved in years and finally do, they did think that single coverage and the blitz would be a big part of their plan.

Dallas was eliminating the screen game. But this is a big time offense, they have to play like it. And as many of the analysts, our head coach, and their head coach have said, the defense is not nearly as bad as statistics would indicate.

New Orleans, Green Bay, and Carolina have been putting up numbers on everyone all year and will continue to do so. I just want to have Detroit put on the list of "teams that are going to score and put up yards on everyone", and that has to start Monday.

October 7th, 2011, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Killwill25 wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Well, in fairness, it was louder in Dallas than any stadium i have have ever seen in 20 years (I made that comment to pablo a couple times)...and it didn't help the home team. Also, the fans were still loud as hell until the last minute

I was at the MN game and it was superloud(false start Hell for us), but bein that it's a bunch of Viking fans, many people started leaving before OT even started

Was there also, and to my shock some of them started to complain and hoping to lose once the Lions won the toss in OT.

Ya, Viking fans may have the most front runners cuz I was hearing the same things and have heard it for years. No wonder all the superstars leave MN.

Where were you sittin?

2nd level, 30 yard line, Vikings sideline

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 7th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

conversion02 wrote:
The bears corners do a great job at jamming at the line, they rarely play 5-10 yards off the WR. They get very close for the initial bump so the pass rush can get to the QB. They do a very good job at it and Staff will need his WRs to get open quickly, so he can dump the ball off before our swiss cheese line gets him hurt.

I think we'll see A LOT of dumps to Pett, Titus, and Best.

As long as they get decent YAC and finish drives with touchdowns, I'm totally okay with this.

October 8th, 2011, 9:05 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Detroit_LIons wrote:
People forget that Stafford is learning out here , this is really just his 2nd yr .. Not making excuses Im just saying ..

Valid point..Question: how many games has he played? is he up to 16 yeat?

October 8th, 2011, 10:21 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:

Valid point..Question: how many games has he played? is he up to 16 yeat?

He had played in 13 regular season games before this one began. So he'll be starting his 18th regular season game on Monday.

October 8th, 2011, 10:31 am
RIP Killer

CBS Sports wrote:
Lions young, loaded for strong run for many years to come

DETROIT -- I could wait. That would be easy, and it would be safe. I could wait for the Lions to get to a Super Bowl, and then write that something special was brewing in Detroit way back in the fall of 2011, when the Lions were less than one-third of the way through what would become their breakout season.

Or I could do it now. Say it now. Let you know, if you didn't already -- but I bet you do -- that something special is happening in Detroit. And not just special like the Arizona Cardinals were special with that Super Bowl appearance in 2008 or the Chicago Bears were special with that Super Bowl appearance in 2006 or Dexys Midnight Runners was special when it released the song Come on Eileen in 1983.

The Detroit Lions will be no one-hit wonder, is what I'm saying.

Not that the Lions have recorded their first hit yet. They haven't -- this franchise has never been to the Super Bowl, and has just one playoff victory since 1958 -- and I understand that. But it's a matter of time. Could be a few years. Could be a few months. But it's going to happen. This team is going to the Super Bowl, and it's not going to stop at one. That's my prediction, and not merely because of what I just saw Monday night.

Although what I saw was awfully impressive.

The Lions beat the Bears 24-13 -- Detroit's first appearance on Monday Night Football in a decade -- to extend the franchise's longest winning streak in more than 50 years to nine. It's also the longest current regular-season winning streak in the NFL, and that's important because this story isn't just a Detroit story.

This is an NFL story.

The Lions are here, and they're winning, and barring a bad run of injuries they're not going to stop winning for a long time. Their best players are awfully young, and almost all of them put on a show Monday night.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford threw two more touchdowns, giving him 13 on the season against just four interceptions. Nine of those TDs have gone to receiver Calvin Johnson, giving him an NFL mark for the most TD catches in the season's first five games. Running back Jahvid Best uncorked the second-longest scoring run in team history with an 88-yard burst, then broke a 43-yarder that essentially sealed the victory late in the fourth quarter, finishing with 163 yards on 12 carries.

Those were three of the Lions' most recent first-round picks -- Johnson in 2007, Stafford in 2009 and Best in 2010. Another first-rounder from 2009, tight end Brandon Pettigrew, caught a touchdown pass Monday and stayed on pace for an 80-catch season. And another first-rounder from 2010, No. 1 overall pick Ndamukong Suh, ran down ball carriers all over the field and attracted so much attention that other members of the defensive line combined for three sacks. Detroit's defensive front is probably the best in football, and it's only going to get better; 2011 first-rounder Nick Fairley, a defensive tackle, made his debut Monday night.

Other than ancient kicker Jason Hanson and the offensive line, which has two 11-year veterans in left tackle Jeff Backus and center Dominic Raiola, the Lions are young and good, which means they're going to get better as they get older. And already they're terrific, joining the defending Super Bowl champion Packers as the only undefeated teams left in the NFL.

Like the NFC North rival Packers, who are literally owned by their fan base, the Lions have a special relationship at home. It's a newish relationship, but it's special nonetheless. Once on the short list for potential blackouts every week, the Lions now have quite possibly the loudest home-field advantage in the league. That's a subjective statement, and I don't know that it's true, but I do know this: My ears have never ached at a football field like they ached Monday night -- and I've never seen a visiting team be rendered so helpless at the line of scrimmage by crowd noise.

The Bears committed nine false-start penalties, a head-shaking number that ranks right up there with Calvin Johnson's nine touchdowns in five games for shock value. Six of those pre-snap penalties came in the first half, the other three in the fourth quarter when the Bears were trying to rally.

All told, the penalties combined with some bad drops and decision-making -- most of it by Devin Hester -- to undermine an impressive performance in defeat by Bears quarterback Jay Cutler. He was 28 of 38 for 249 yards and a touchdown, owning a 99.6-rating against a ferocious front four, and his numbers were stymied by drive-killing drops downfield from Hester and Matt Forte. Hester also lost 8 yards on a short pass after reversing fields, running backward and being tackled. And then there was the kickoff he fielded at the Chicago 3, his momentum carrying him out of bounds at the 7.

The only Bear who came close to having that kind of dismal day was safety Brandon Meriweather, who was beaten by Johnson for a 73-yard touchdown and who was flagged for unnecessary roughness for spearing Lions receiver Nate Burleson late in the first half. Those are two of the Bears' most gifted players, Hester and Meriweather, and they played like knuckleheads.

Detroit's most gifted players? They played like gifted players. And there were a lot of them on the field Monday night.

Get used to that. This Detroit team isn't going away. It's going to the playoffs -- for years to come.

October 11th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

This team is well on it's way to being a team that can pickup "new pieces" BEFORE the 'older pieces" need replacing. Thus we will be able to plug in a player when needed without concern and keep going without missing a beat.

October 11th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Stadium Announcer

I've been watching ESPN all day, and it is so surreal seeing so much Lions coverage. Our Lions are media darlings right now. It just blows my mind. I'm soaking this up as much as possible.

October 11th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next