View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Guess which Lion is on the SI cover this week? 

Poll ended at October 11th, 2011, 2:24 pm
Matt Stafford 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Calvin Johnson 69%  69%  [ 20 ]
Ndamukong Suh 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Jim Schwartz 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 29

RIP Killer

Post Guess which Lion is on the SI cover this week?
who is it going to be?

October 4th, 2011, 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Guess which Lion is on the SI cover this week?
With all the garbage about Chris Carter, and now CJ ties his record, I'm guessing Calvin. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Schwartz. Stafford and Suh? I don't think so.

October 4th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Given that I've already seen the cover, I suppose I'm not really "guessing" with my vote. But I won't say in case someone wants to be surprised.

October 4th, 2011, 3:01 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Since there's already articles about it on Mlive and the Detroit Free Press, I might as well spoil it:

October 4th, 2011, 3:14 pm
RIP Killer

I hope this isn't like the Madden curse, and the Lions end up dropping their next 8 games, or something like that.............

October 4th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Here's the Freep article:
Detroit Free Press wrote:
'Hungry Lions' adorn cover of Sports Illustrated
11:03 AM, Oct. 4, 2011 | BY DAVE BIRKETT

DETROIT FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Oh, curses (if you believe in that sort of thing).

The undefeated Detroit Lions are on the national cover of Sports Illustrated this week, according to the magazine's official Twitter account.

The cover shot captures Calvin Johnson outjumping Terence Newman for the game-winning touchdown in Sunday's 34-30 victory over the Dallas Cowboys. The headline reads, "The Hungry Lions," with the readout, "Do you believe? Detroit Does".

It's not the first time a Lion has appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Barry Sanders graced the cover at least three times, including the Hall of Fame edition in 2004, and Joey Harrington made the cover during his rookie season of 2002 in an issue that touted "the best crop of (young quarterbacks) in 20 years."

Doak Walker was featured on the Oct. 3, 1955, issue, Nick Pietrosante was on the Nov. 19, 1962, edition, and the Lions were supporting players on covers in 1969 (that featured the Minnesota Vikings defense), 1982 (Browns linebacker Tom Cousineau) and 2003 (Jake Plummer).

Being on the cover of Sports Illustrated has come with its perils in the past. In 2008, Tom Brady was on the cover of the NFL season preview issue and tore ligaments in his left knee in the opening game.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King addressed the SI cover jinx in a Tweet today after news of the cover was released, writing: "If we didn't put Leos on the cover, we'd be dissing a 4-0 team. When we do put them on the cover, we're idiots for jinxing them."

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said on his weekly radio appearance on 97.1-FM this morning that he doesn't buy into the SI cover jinx.

"We’ve got enough stuff to worry about than worrying about stuff like that," Schwartz said. "I’m probably the least superstitious person that I know. You win with good players that are coached well and have good roles on the team and all that different stuff. I hate to disappoint anybody, but it’s not where somebody sits during the game. It’s not all those other things. It makes it fun for them to talk about but it really doesn’t matter a whole lot once you get onto the field."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111004/SPORTS01/111004016/-Hungry-Lions-adorn-cover-Sports-Illustrated

October 4th, 2011, 3:19 pm
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
Since there's already articles about it on Mlive and the Detroit Free Press, I might as well spoil it:

I just posted this on the Cowboys site under the title "You guys might like this"

The nazi's banned me for it. ROFL.

October 4th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Pro Bowl Player

This issue will be going up in my bar. Just because my girl is awesome! Hope it will be out by tomorrow cuz she's going to look for it for me

October 4th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Oh yeh, and for the record, anyone see exactly how much friggen bigger Calvin Johnson is than Newman. :shock: Megatron definitely fits

October 4th, 2011, 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

In all my years as a Lions fan, I don't think they've ever received this much attention and publicity so early in a season, not even in 1991 when they went 12-4. And with MNF coming up, they're going to be the talk of the NFL this week. They've been ranked as the #4 team on ESPN's Power Rankings for two weeks in a row now. I just hope they're not getting jinxed.

I sure hope that our players can handle all of this attention and glamor and don't let it get into their heads. A part of me feels that they'd be better off if they could have their success quietly, sneaking up on other teams like a lion stalking its prey on the African savanna.

October 5th, 2011, 3:36 am
QB Coach

Reading Growlers post has led me to a question:

Can a head coach seal the locker room?

If I were Schwartz, and I had a young team that is in the process of doing something spectacular, I would do absolutely everything to insulate my guys. Seal the locker room, restrict media coverage, and begin talking with the team about why I as the HC had done just that.

I understand that these are mature men, but if winning is the goal, there is a time to celebrate, and that's in Feb. I honestly believe that this team needs to be on lock down in regards to the media. I'm sure ESPN, and other media types would claim censorship, and the people have a right to know, but it's not documented in the Constitution so no they don't necessarily have a RIGHT to know.

Am I being to harsh? We've seen a good thing come (finally) to the city of Detroit in our Sports Rennaisance (Lions and Tigers) and I think everything should be done to keep the team grounded, hungry, and insulated from the hype. Thoughts?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 5th, 2011, 8:37 am
Div 1 - Starter

I hope that they aren't celebrating too much. They got their butts kicked in the first halves of two consecutive games and should be 2-2 or at best 3-1 right now. I give them a lot of credit for having the fortitude needed to get those comeback wins, but those halftime deficits should be of great concern to them.

October 5th, 2011, 8:21 pm
RIP Killer

Growler wrote:
I hope that they aren't celebrating too much. They got their butts kicked in the first halves of two consecutive games and should be 2-2 or at best 3-1 right now. I give them a lot of credit for having the fortitude needed to get those comeback wins, but those halftime deficits should be of great concern to them.

Couldn't agree more with this post.

October 6th, 2011, 9:50 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
Growler wrote:

Couldn't agree more with this post.

Yep!

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 6th, 2011, 2:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
Reading Growlers post has led me to a question:

Can a head coach seal the locker room?

If I were Schwartz, and I had a young team that is in the process of doing something spectacular, I would do absolutely everything to insulate my guys. Seal the locker room, restrict media coverage, and begin talking with the team about why I as the HC had done just that.

I understand that these are mature men, but if winning is the goal, there is a time to celebrate, and that's in Feb. I honestly believe that this team needs to be on lock down in regards to the media. I'm sure ESPN, and other media types would claim censorship, and the people have a right to know, but it's not documented in the Constitution so no they don't necessarily have a RIGHT to know.

Am I being to harsh? We've seen a good thing come (finally) to the city of Detroit in our Sports Rennaisance (Lions and Tigers) and I think everything should be done to keep the team grounded, hungry, and insulated from the hype. Thoughts?

Explain your comments on why the team needs to be locked down from the media? Not sure what you are afraid of. The players will celebrate regardless and it is more than a fantasy to think that the media is at fault for the slow first half starts. Really doenst make any sense to me at all - if anything I think disrupting the usual routine runs more risk of messing with guys psyche and preparation and that the players esp the vets probably enjoy getting some positive press after years of losing. Finally, I see this as a move that alienates players from the fans and Schwartz would never make a move like this - he knows how much the fans mean to the team and vice versa.

This is a good team, this isnt some delicate miracle thats happening, the media hovering around as usual makes no difference in anything. Even if they are blocked it still doesnt stop players from watching espn or reading newspapers and magazines if you think players could get big heads.

100% disagree with you.

October 6th, 2011, 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next