View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 'MNF' in Detroit: Debut of MegatronWatch 
Modmin Dude

Post 'MNF' in Detroit: Debut of MegatronWatch
Siefert wrote:
'MNF' in Detroit: Debut of MegatronWatch
October, 5, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

You might have heard by now that Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson has eight touchdown receptions in the first four games of the season. That output ties an NFL record for that stretch, and it gives us (well, me) justification for tracking Johnson's progress relative to the best scoring seasons for a receiver in NFL history.

As long as Johnson keeps scoring, we'll keep revisiting the chart accompanying this post. It provides a game-by-game look at how Randy Moss caught 23 touchdown passes over 16 games in 2007. It also shows the incredible 12-game run of former record-holder Jerry Rice, who caught 22 touchdowns in 12 games in 1987. (He lost four games due to the NFL players' strike.)

As you can see, Moss had seven touchdowns through four games. Rice had five. Just sayin'.

At least one player can provide an insightful bridge between Moss and Johnson. Lions receiver Nate Burleson played with Moss in 2003 and 2004 when both were the Minnesota Vikings, and I asked him last weekend for an off-the-cuff comparison between the two.

"I can't pick one or the other, but they'll both go down as a couple of the biggest threats in NFL history," Burleson said. "They're very different. Both great playmakers. Big hands. Can track down the ball extremely well.

"But the one thing I can say about Calvin is that he runs with the ball in his hands. He's trying to create a collision once he catches it. And he blocks. That's what makes him special. That's what separates him in my eyes from the other elite receivers in this league right now. On any given play, whether he's got the ball or not, he's going to make an impact."

In the end, that level of physicality probably gives Johnson an edge on the kind of jump ball touchdown he's perfected this season. Moss knew how to outreach and out-position defenders for the ball, but Johnson's bigger body -- he's an inch taller and about 30 pounds heavier than Moss -- gives him an additional advantage.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... atronwatch

October 5th, 2011, 11:51 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: 'MNF' in Detroit: Debut of MegatronWatch
I think that's pretty cool. I should add that I'll be surprised if Calvin doesn't break the record of 23 TDs this season since the jump ball should become a staple of their offense in the red zone until somebody figures out a way to stop it.

October 5th, 2011, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I think that's pretty cool. I should add that I'll be surprised if Calvin doesn't break the record of 23 TDs this season since the jump ball should become a staple of their offense in the red zone until somebody figures out a way to stop it.

There's only one issue with the jump ball.....Calvin tends to come down HARD on his back. On that second TD in Dallas, I thought he wasn't getting up for a while. He came right down on the back of his rib cage and he could have gotten seriously hurt.

On his first TD he came down on his back as well. I'm sure he's feeling it yesterday and today. I am hoping we don't see something like his rookie year when he came down hard on his back against Philly, and missed significant time and wasn't the same the rest of the year.

October 5th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Junior Varsity

Seems way to early in the season to me to start tracking any "record setting" pace for a season. Lets revisit this again in week 8 or 9.

October 5th, 2011, 2:36 pm
All State

Yea I saw that as well .. And he looked like he felt it then , but he didnt wanna show it ..

m2karateman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

There's only one issue with the jump ball.....Calvin tends to come down HARD on his back. On that second TD in Dallas, I thought he wasn't getting up for a while. He came right down on the back of his rib cage and he could have gotten seriously hurt.

On his first TD he came down on his back as well. I'm sure he's feeling it yesterday and today. I am hoping we don't see something like his rookie year when he came down hard on his back against Philly, and missed significant time and wasn't the same the rest of the year.

October 5th, 2011, 3:36 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

see all I saw was a guy who knocked the wind out of himself. I wouldnt worry too much about it at this point.

October 6th, 2011, 10:38 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
Seems way to early in the season to me to start tracking any "record setting" pace for a season. Lets revisit this again in week 8 or 9.

A third of the way to the record and a quarter of the way through the season?

I disagree, right now is exactly when I would think one would begin tracking the record.

October 6th, 2011, 4:58 pm
League MVP

anyone going to miss the monday night football song?

October 6th, 2011, 5:34 pm

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but a quarter of the season is already complete. IMO, this is when this sort of speculation should begin and then ramp up as the year continues. It's not like predicting a QB will throw for 6000 yards after a 400 yard week 1 performance or that a baseball player will hit 160 HRs after getting 5 of them during the first week of the season. There's a large enough sample size at this point for projections to be somewhat realistic.

October 8th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm just so happy for him that he's finally able to make meaningful catches and people are starting to appreciate how good he really is.

SHAME ON THE PLAYERS WHO VOTED RODDY WHITE AHEAD OF HIM!

October 8th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Since Megatron is in the title of this thread, this seemed like the best place to put this:
Mlive wrote:
Calvin Johnson's new hat shows he has embraced Megatron nickname
Published: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 6:23 PM Updated: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 11:05 PM
By Justin Rogers

ALLEN PARK -- Plenty of athletes have nicknames, but Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson is blessed with one of the best.

Johnson, known as Megatron, can thank former teammate Roy Williams for the moniker.

"I've never seen anything like him," Williams said in Sept., 2007, Johnson's rookie season. "He's a big, strong, physical, fast guy. We call him Megatron."

Megatron, for those who might not know, is a robot from the Transformers comic book, cartoon, and most recently, blockbuster movie, franchise.

The nickname was intended to be a play off of Johnson's incredible size and speed. At 6-foot-5, 235 pounds, with a sub 4.4 second 40-yard-dash time, no wide receiver comes close to matching the combination.

The typically humble Johnson seems to be enjoying the nickname. As he answered reporters questions after Monday night's game, he pulled out and put on a new hat, one featuring the logo of the Decepticons, the group of evil Transformers led by Megatron.

"A little Megatron, you know, you got to like that," Johnson said when asked about the hat. "I just found it at the store."

If you're looking to complete the Calvin Johnson look, you can own the cap for $35.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/10/calvin_johnsons_new_hat_shows.html

October 13th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Junior Varsity

Sweet lid...I just might have to get one of those for myself!

October 13th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]