View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Chris Houston 
Modmin Dude

Post Chris Houston
I was impressed with him last year and he just keeps improving. Here's a couple articles I found...
Quote:
Lions' Houston picking up art of the interception

By Dave Birkett Detroit Free Press
First Posted: September 21, 2011 - 8:11 pm
Last Updated: September 21, 2011 - 8:11 pm

DETROIT — The book on Chris Houston’s first few years in the NFL: good cornerback, bad ball skills. Not anymore.

Houston has one interception in each of the Lions’ first two games, matching his career high for picks and proving his extra practice time is paying off.

The fifth-year cornerback said he tries to catch between 50 and 100 extra balls a day off a JUGS machine, a habit he picked up last year in his first season with the Lions.

“The thing about me, my whole career I’ve been a press corner and, even in high school, guys couldn’t even get off the line; so I never really got the chance to play balls down the field or do anything because I was so much stronger than them,” Houston said. “Even in college, I went against some of the Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem, those guys, and they couldn’t get off the line, so I didn’t really ever have to play the ball down the field.

“My first year in the league, it’s not anybody’s fault, but coaches, position coaches, never took the time out to say this is what you need to work on. It took (me figuring out) what I need to do for me to start doing it. And once I said that I know I need to work on this and I’m going to put the time into it, it started helping out.”

Houston had just three interceptions in three seasons with the Falcons, starting 37 of the 44 games he played before he was traded to the Lions last year.

In Atlanta, Houston said he never worked extra on his hands, though strength coach Jeff Fish, who spent time with Nnamdi Asomugha in Oakland, did work with him on technique to better locate passes downfield in his final season with the Falcons.

Houston showed signs of becoming a playmaker last year when he intercepted one pass (off Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers in Week 4) and had two more picks nullified by penalties.

This year, with more passes coming his way because of the Lions’ improved secondary — Eric Wright starts opposite Houston now instead of the revolving door that was last year — he already has intercepted two passes he might have dropped earlier in his career.

In a 27-20 opening-week win over Tampa Bay, Houston arm-fought receiver Arrelious Benn for 10 yards, then snared a slightly underthrown pass at the goal line.

On Sunday, he caught a deflected pass off the hands of Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Both turnovers set up scoring drives.

“It’s something that was on his résumé in the past that he had a difficult time playing the ball down the field, but obviously he’s able to capitalize on these and make those interceptions,” coach Jim Schwartz said. “I think he’s 26 years old. He’s still in that young veteran stage, and to take the next step to being a complete player you need to work on your weaknesses, and Chris is a very hard worker and has done a good job of that.”

Apart from his work on the JUGS machine, Houston, who signed a two-year contract in July, said his improved ball skills are a product of more diligent work in the film room.

The interception he had in Tampa, for instance, came because he recognized Benn’s route off the snap and was able to turn his head and run with the receiver rather than wait and play his hands.

“If the ball is up, it’s mine,” Houston said. “That’s my mentality. Just like when they throw it to Calvin (Johnson), when the ball is in the air, I’ve got the mentality now that I’m coming down with it. And that’s the way I’m feeling right now, the ball is coming to me. No matter who’s out there, I can get it.”

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/F ... Y_6116031/

You just have to love that attitude, I can see why this kid fits in with our team.

DetNews wrote:
Last Updated: October 05. 2011 1:00AM
Lions' CB Chris Houston gets the last laugh
Tim Twentyman/ The Detroit News

Allen Park— It was clear early last weekend who the Cowboys thought the weak link on the Lions defense was.

Cornerback Chris Houston.

Houston was victimized by Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant for a touchdown in the first quarter and gave up a number of long receptions to Laurent Robinson, including a 44-yarder in the second quarter.

"They were targeting him every time it was one-on-one and he didn't do a good job early in the game," coach Jim Schwartz said. "He allowed the touchdown to Dez Bryant and that's a play that Chris has improved drastically on over the last couple of years, but he didn't make that one.

"Then he started playing off a little bit and they started making completions in front (of him) and that's just as bad when they start getting a bunch of those."

The Cowboys game plan was something Houston took personally. Cameras caught a frustrated Houston and secondary coach Tim Walton in an animated discussion on the sideline after a bad defensive series in the second quarter.

"Walton just said, 'Do what you have to so you don't let them catch the ball,'" Houston said.

That's when Houston decided he'd had enough.

"All I know is that it's only going to take one time, and once they slip up, they're going to pay for it," Houston said. "Coach was telling me to keep on playing and that it was going to come."

It came in a big way in the third quarter.

After the Lions had cut the deficit to 27-10, Houston jumped a slant route by Robinson and made a one-handed interception. He followed a convoy of blockers and returned it 56 yards for a touchdown.

"It was a testimony to resiliency because he was getting picked on," Schwartz said.

Houston chalks it up to pride.

"Cornerback is hard to play in the league, especially when you're frustrated," he said.

Houston leads the Lions with three interceptions and is one of the reasons the team is 12th against the pass (221.2 yards).

He said Monday he had a feeling he was going to make a big play in the huddle right before his interception.

"It's only a matter of time before we have to take a chance," he said. "And on that third down, I told Louis (Delmas) right in the huddle that I was going to sit (on the route) and to come out running if he double-moves me.

"I sat in there and got the ball."

ttwentyman@detnews.com

twitter.com/ttwentyman

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111005/SPO ... z1ZyN7lvv6

Joe Fauria, MVP!

October 6th, 2011, 12:38 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Chris Houston
Personally, I don't think Houston did a bad job covering Dez Bryant on his first TD catch. He was right there, but didn't turn around in time. How many times have we seen Lion CBs running 10 yards behind the WR running into the end zone in the past? Houston atleast is in a position to make a play nearly every time. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I'll take that over losing nearly every time.

October 6th, 2011, 2:40 am
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Chris Houston
slybri19 wrote:
Personally, I don't think Houston did a bad job covering Dez Bryant on his first TD catch. He was right there, but didn't turn around in time. How many times have we seen Lion CBs running 10 yards behind the WR running into the end zone in the past? Houston atleast is in a position to make a play nearly every time. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I'll take that over losing nearly every time.

I agree sly. I felt Gun put the CBs in a tough position in that game by not having them press at the line. The sign of a good corner is that even though Houston was having a tough game, he perservered and made one of the plays of the game.

October 6th, 2011, 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]