View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pollard on young Lions/Joey 
RIP Killer

Post Pollard on young Lions/Joey
http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0505/ ... 178360.htm

Quote:
Pollard sees some similarities between the young Lions and the old Colts. The Lions are building their offense with Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Kevin Jones and Joey Harrington, all young players. The Colts' key pieces already are proven.

"To me, that's the only difference, it's not proven yet," Pollard said. "I tell Joey -- I've been telling him since I've been here -- 'Joey, we're on to something very special.' The back we've got in Kevin Jones is a marvel. We've got three talented receivers outside, and an offensive line that's intact.

"Joey's a great quarterback, in my opinion. He's going to be one of the good ones before it's all said and done. I really like his arm. And I just like his enthusiasm."

May 11th, 2005, 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I agree with Pollard on this. We have a very young and good core of players; now if they can only live up to their potential we will be playoff and Super Bowl bound headbang.gif

May 11th, 2005, 9:21 am
RIP Killer

Wow! That's impressive coming from a 11 year vet who's only played with the best QB in the game today. He wouldn't have said it like he did if he was just trying to get some attention or focus.

May 11th, 2005, 9:26 am
Hall of Fame Player

I liked hearing that when I read this story this morning.

Good things are coming.

May 11th, 2005, 10:15 am
Profile WWW
All State

that is a nice endorsement of joey and he doesn't even mention garcia. harrington will open the season as the starter - mark my words. he is a better "camp" qb than garcia and will play well in the preseason. the first few regular season games will be the true test.

May 11th, 2005, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

That is some true leadership being shown and something we have sorely lacked in the past couple of seasons. I think that Joey needs that constant bug in his ear letting him know how good he can be. Joey has struggled w/ our offense being a young group and everyone looking to him for motivation. Pollard being the pro that he is will boost everyone's morale in the lockerroom .

Tim

May 11th, 2005, 11:22 am
Hall of Fame Player

That is some true leadership being shown and something we have sorely lacked in the past couple of seasons. I think that Joey needs that constant bug in his ear letting him know how good he can be. Joey has struggled w/ our offense being a young group and everyone looking to him for motivation. Pollard being the pro that he is will boost everyone's morale in the lockerroom .

I agree that Pollard is a pro and could and should try to boost morale in the locker room.

I agree that demonstrates good leadership and it has been lacking the last few years.

I believe it's time for Joey to step up and be the leader and take control.

But if Joey needs a daily affirmation to do what he's supposed to do and getting paid to do then I have a problem with that.

This is not the frickin' Stuart Smally show...

...I can throw the ball,
I'm smart,
and dog gone it...
people like me!

May 11th, 2005, 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

But if Joey needs a daily affirmation to do what he's supposed to do and getting paid to do then I have a problem with that.

I agree w/ you on that. I think what I was really trying to say was he has had no veteran leadership in his 3 seasons w/ the team and has been berated w/ nothing but negativity about his play. Even Mariucci has taken subliminal swipes at Joey in the press. It's always nice to know when a player has your back.

Tim

May 11th, 2005, 11:49 am
Hall of Fame Player

You're very right, veteran leadership has been lacking. Especially on offense. Porcher (while he was around) and Bly played that role on defense last year. I'd like so see more from Woody and Schlesinger this year on offense.

And obviously Joey.

May 11th, 2005, 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I know personally I have been hard on Joey as has the media, fans, coaches not really pumping him up etc...for all the booing and "last chance" articles written about him I have never seen him flinch. He has been through some of the worst seasons possible and I haven't seen him display an emotinal or mental weakness through it. The only thing he ever really did was grow a beard and say "I'm tired of losing" and I liked that when he said it as well.

People ripped him for his "blueskies" attitude but he was just being positive. He was a total man about Tony Fatpants completely rude comments and reacted to it in a stand up way and he doesn't assign blame to others when things go wrong.

From everything I have seen he is mentally tough and when he gets knocked on his arse (literally on the field) he gets back up. Didn't he even pat someone on the butt after they flattened him as if to say "good play" lol...I totally remember something like that.

May 11th, 2005, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I know personally I have been hard on Joey as has the media, fans, coaches not really pumping him up etc...for all the booing and "last chance" articles written about him I have never seen him flinch. He has been through some of the worst seasons possible and I haven't seen him display an emotinal or mental weakness through it. The only thing he ever really did was grow a beard and say "I'm tired of losing" and I liked that when he said it as well.

People ripped him for his "blueskies" attitude but he was just being positive. He was a total man about Tony Fatpants completely rude comments and reacted to it in a stand up way and he doesn't assign blame to others when things go wrong.

From everything I have seen he is mentally tough and when he gets knocked on his arse (literally on the field) he gets back up. Didn't he even pat someone on the butt after they flattened him as if to say "good play" lol...I totally remember something like that.

Alpha,

I couldn't agree more.

I have also been rougher on Joey than he deserves but more than that I've neglected to aplause him for the mental toughness he has demonstrated as you just have.

I do admire that about him but at the same time I want him to take a more commanding lead over the team. He needs - the team needs him - to step up and be the leader that he could be.

Wait a minute...

I feel a song coming on...

...Be, all that you can be...

May 11th, 2005, 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

If I were a receiver and new to the team, I'd be bragging up the QB too if I wanted some balls thrown my way! :lol:

May 11th, 2005, 3:49 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I would like to beleive Pollard. I like he said that no matter what his motives are. Even if Joey is not as good as what Pollard said, Pollard is trying to give Joey someone to maybe confide in and as TadOne said , watch his back. All of us would like that. If that is what it takes great, as long as we win.

May 11th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Joey has been ragged on tremendously by the press and fans alike. His mental toughness is awesome and his positive attitude will take him and the Lions to much bigger and better things in the future. The longer these guys work together the better they will get.

I also remember a game last year where Joey got knocked flat on his back-side hard! I thought he might have got hurt as hard as he was sacked, but Joey jumped right up slapped the guy that sacked him on the back-side and ran back to the huddle. Joey is also a tough guy. How about the game that Joey had the flu last year? The Lions are going to be just fine with Joey at the helm.

Garcia will be a good back-up for a year before relinquishing that role to Orlovsky next year.
:arrow:

May 11th, 2005, 7:43 pm
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

With all the hype the big three (Roy, Mike, Chuck) I think the signing of Pollard and Johnson is being over looked. These are couple of vets who know how to get open and actually catch the ball something we haven't had around here since Morton was forced to pack his bags.

May 12th, 2005, 12:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next