View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pollard on young Lions/Joey 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

With all the hype the big three (Roy, Mike, Chuck) I think the signing of Pollard and Johnson is being over looked. These are couple of vets who know how to get open and actually catch the ball something we haven't had around here since Morton was forced to pack his bags.

I agree w/ you on this. I actually think that Pollard is set to have a bigger year than Mike Williams. Being that Joey likes to check down a lot, the fact that he actually has a TE that can catch as his safety net could meana bigger year than anyone else is anticipating for Marcus.

Tim

May 12th, 2005, 11:36 am
Bubbles the Lion

I would ride KJ, Crog and RW from 20 to 20, then ride Pollard and BMW for the end zone. With a smattering of everyone else just to keep them off balance. If BMW can do what he did in college and Pollard does what he is capable of in getting open in the end zone, this will be a very exciting year.

May 12th, 2005, 4:38 pm
Varsity Captain

:arrow: You are absolutely right about Pollard and Johnson. They were huge aquisitions.
:arrow:

May 12th, 2005, 6:57 pm
Profile YIM
Hall of Fame Player

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Behind the Scenes

Manning was a quick study

Harrington, take note: Colts quarterback took criticism early in his career and learned from it.

By Vartan Kupelian and Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

Marcus Pollard brings qualities to the Lions that could prove to be invaluable for a team that is trying to climb the standings with young legs.

The Lions will get leadership from Pollard, a 33-year-old tight end, and he'll add perspective from his 10 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

Pollard saw the Colts grow into contention twice. He was a rookie on the 1995 team that lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game and an established player when the Colts drafted quarterback Peyton Manning first overall in 1998 to begin a rebuilding project.

Pollard's association with Manning offers an interesting reference point as Joey Harrington begins his fourth season with the Lions and his third as the full-time starting quarterback. Pollard has been a Lion for two months and a week since signing as a free agent, and he is well aware of the criticism Harrington gets -- some of it for the upbeat demeanor he presents in most interviews.

What was Manning like as a young player?

"When he first got there, it was a challenge," Pollard said in an interview this week.

"He had a certain way that he did it in college. He really got on the guys. He was in their face."

The fire-breathing, in-your-face quarterback might be popular fodder on the talk shows and with some fans, but it doesn't go over well with veteran players. The Colts' veterans had a sit-down with Manning and told him to cool it.

"With some veteran leaders around, they said, 'Everybody wants to win at this level,' " Pollard said. "'You don't have to be so demanding. You don't have to be in guys' faces.' A lot of guys don't respond well to that."

Manning is a quick study. He has learned more than how to read defenses. He took the advice to heart.

"He really took that criticism and learned from it," Pollard said. "Now, he's amazing."

------------------------------->

My issue is that Joey represents the exact opposite of Manning. He's not 'fire-breathing' but rather to laid back and not take charge enough.

I, for one, like his attitude in press conferences - I like that he has an upbeat demeanor. It seams that while most people are teasing Joey for that, they are missing that he also takes ownership for all miscues and credits others with all success's. He never blames anyone else and he never gripes.

I happen to like that a lot.

I think Pollard will be a huge, positive influence on the team and help support Harrington.

In a related story in the same collum...

Quote:
Cash & carry

Harrington's contract situation has created a buzz. He will be in the fourth year of a six-year contract in 2005, and a bonus payment of $3 million is due next month. His base salary for 2005 is $4.95 million.

Before the end of last season, Harrington said he was willing to restructure his contract if it gave the Lions any salary-cap problems.

Apparently, that won't be necessary. The Lions are prepared to carry Harrington's contract as it stands, president Matt Millen said.

"It's not an issue," Millen said. "We've already budgeted it."

Somehow this just doesn't feel or sound right right to me...

May 15th, 2005, 8:41 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It's soooo stupid to NOT renegotiate his deal if he's that open to it. That's saying, hey, i'll take a pay cut to help the team get higher quality, veteran players. And Millen says no to that? I'm confused.

May 15th, 2005, 9:29 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, even if they didn't need the money to stay under the cap, you might as well reneg. his deal if he is open to that. Save Ford a couple of bucks so he doesn't have to lay off so many people. :lol:

May 15th, 2005, 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

They should renegotiate so we, at least, have the opportunity/ability to overpay Ty.

May 16th, 2005, 6:51 am
RIP Killer

Renegotiation does not equal paycut. Often times renegotiation involves taking a players salary or bonus and moving into a signing bonus type of structure that can be allocated over a period of time. It's a pay now or pay later sort of scenario. Harrington did not offer to accept a pay cut, he offered to renegotiate his deal. Most likely it would have allowed the Lions to take his roster bonus and part of his salary and put it into a signing bonus to be spread out over the last three years (2005, 2006 & 2007). However, if the Lions were to choose to do that it would basically ensure the fact that Harrington won't be cut in the future as his cap hit would be astronomical.

Millen is doing the right thing by not taking Joey up on his offer. The Lions don't need future payroll headaches to get one player like Ty Law. If they can't afford him, then they don't need him.

May 16th, 2005, 2:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Renegotiation does not equal paycut. Often times renegotiation involves taking a players salary or bonus and moving into a signing bonus type of structure that can be allocated over a period of time. It's a pay now or pay later sort of scenario. Harrington did not offer to accept a pay cut, he offered to renegotiate his deal. Most likely it would have allowed the Lions to take his roster bonus and part of his salary and put it into a signing bonus to be spread out over the last three years (2005, 2006 & 2007). However, if the Lions were to choose to do that it would basically ensure the fact that Harrington won't be cut in the future as his cap hit would be astronomical.

Millen is doing the right thing by not taking Joey up on his offer. The Lions don't need future payroll headaches to get one player like Ty Law. If they can't afford him, then they don't need him.

AND... it would most likely result in adding a year to Joey's contract. And there in lies the risk; if this is Joey's break out year adding a year works to the teams advantage. If not we're stuck with him for an additional year.

As far as I'm concerned Millen should redo the deal. He can create enough cap space this year to get Ty Law AND redo Jeff Backus' contract before he goes to free agency next year.

The fact that he says he won't is very curious to me.

May 16th, 2005, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2