View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Lions sign free agent...... 
RIP Killer

Post Lions sign free agent......
Safety and former Titan Vincent Fuller.

Why? I haven't the foggiest idea. But I do know he had some decent years in Tennessee. Good coverage skills, physical.

October 6th, 2011, 11:04 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Lions sign free agent......
m2karateman wrote:
Safety and former Titan Vincent Fuller.

Why? I haven't the foggiest idea. But I do know he had some decent years in Tennessee. Good coverage skills, physical.

The safety spot is hurting right now with Spivey & Coleman both being injured, not too meniton special teams with Ekajuba (sp?) being on IR

October 6th, 2011, 11:09 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Yeah, I think it was a case of grabbing somebody who could come in quickly with the other guys banged up. He probably won't last until the end of the season, as Schwartz didn't seem to think that Coleman's injury was season ending.

(Cue the 'Where's Silva?' comments in 3, 2, 1...)

October 6th, 2011, 11:54 am
RIP Killer

They released G Jacques McClendon to make room. This leaves us very light on the interior of our OL with just Gandy as a backup from what I can remember.

October 6th, 2011, 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Yea, it sounds like Coleman is gonna be out for awhile, so they needed another back-up safety besides Wendling back there. I know Fuller used to be decent, but I don't know how much he has left.

October 6th, 2011, 12:26 pm
Pro Bowl Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Yeah, I think it was a case of grabbing somebody who could come in quickly with the other guys banged up. He probably won't last until the end of the season, as Schwartz didn't seem to think that Coleman's injury was season ending.

Silva did look good in preseason. But theres some stipulation that if they activate him they could lose him or something to that effect? I dont know, In Shcwartz I trust I suppose

October 6th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Silva did look good in preseason. But theres some stipulation that if they activate him they could lose him or something to that effect? I dont know, In Shcwartz I trust I suppose

Actually signing Silva to the active roster would protect him, whereas having him on the practice squad does not. If they put Silva on the active roster, in order to open up a spot later he may be the one they'd have to waive....but my understanding is that they could then re-sign him as long as he wasn't active for too many games.

Anybody else know for sure on that?

October 6th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Actually signing Silva to the active roster would protect him, whereas having him on the practice squad does not. If they put Silva on the active roster, in order to open up a spot later he may be the one they'd have to waive....but my understanding is that they could then re-sign him as long as he wasn't active for too many games.

Yes, they could resign him to the PS, but by putting him on waivers in order to do that, he is available to be signed by any team and place on their PS. When he's on our PS, he can only be signed to another team's active roster. At least that's my understanding :wink:

October 6th, 2011, 1:58 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Yes, they could resign him to the PS, but by putting him on waivers in order to do that, he is available to be signed by any team and place on their PS. When he's on our PS, he can only be signed to another team's active roster. At least that's my understanding :wink:

Yes, that's how I understand it as well. But at that point I would hope the Lions would be devious and sign him back to the active roster before the end of the season to get him back. :twisted:

October 6th, 2011, 2:00 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Atleast Fuller is somewhat familiar with the scheme

October 6th, 2011, 5:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

surprised they didnt just IR Coleman if he s going to be out that long or cut anthony madison. w jason fox also inactive w injury we are too short at OL, if they need someone else that person will be signed off the street and wont know our offense/schemes

the reason we made the signing is bc Wendling isnt a good player at safety and really should be more of a special teamer. surprised they havent cross trained one of the extra corners ie McDonald

October 6th, 2011, 5:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

But, the thought is that if he is activated to the active roster, he will perform well enough, that he will never make it back to our practice squad.
They are eligible for the practice squad for pretty much all of 3 years.

October 8th, 2011, 12:48 am
Player of the Year - Defense

The issue is, if they signed Silva to active roster until Coleman came back, then they'd have to subject him to waivers. He's unprotected on practice squad, but if someone wanted to sign him, they'd have to sign him to the active roster. Then they'd have to let him go through waivers again to sign him to practice squad.

He's not ready yet, so no one is going to grab him unless they suffer a serious injury that requires someone going on IR.

Next year is when he'll get his chance. Any playing time we gave him now would just be audition tape for other teams at this point. Best to let him sit quietly as something only we know about.

October 8th, 2011, 12:55 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Another thing to add to this is if a team signs someone from another team's practice squad, that player must remain on the roster for three weeks. If he is cut before then, he'll still get paid and count as a roster spot until the full three weeks are up. This doesn't apply to players who are claimed on waivers.

October 8th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It sounds like Amari is gonna give it a go.

October 8th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]