View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 19th, 2018, 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 What's the Lowdown on the 49ers? 
National Champion

Post Re: What's the Lowdown on the 49ers?
49ers wrote:
You guys make me laugh. Just like everyone else, the 49ers still getting no credit for their wins. "The Bucs turned the ball over and gave up". Really? That's it? This is the NFL. You don't destroy teams if you aren't any good (KC Chiefs... week 1....), especially a 3-1 team.

The 49ers are better than everyone realizes. We're the only team in the league that hasn't allowed a rushing touchdown. We're the only team that hasn't allowed a rusher to gain more than 65 yards. The team that has kept the opposing runners to less than 3 yards per carry. We force turnovers and take advantage. We have close to the #1 defense, and about a #3 offense. Alex Smith is rated 3rd (Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady) in QB rating. Alex Smith has only thrown one red zone INT in his career, and 35 touchdowns (best ratio in the history of the NFL). He just needed an offensive coach, a former NFL QB, to help show him the way. He's never had an offensive head coach until this year.

The Eagles fans said the same thing you are saying. So did the Bucs. "I expect a win" and "they can't defend us", etc etc. No respect. None. Do you guys realize that if it wasn't for a 50-yard field goal, we too would be 5-0?

You guys already have respect. So what are you playing for this Sunday? The Lions had a short week and an emotional win over a divisional opponent that you wanted revenge against because of last years "touchdown that wasn't". You have tons of respect. Everyone is talking about you. Lions-this and Packers-that. It's all we hear. Pissing me off.

A 48-3 win, no respect. Hardly a mention of it on ESPN or the NBC show. So god damn mad, but just like the players, it's a controlled rage that will be used during the game. No respect. The only way to get it is by beating a team that's only decent plays on Monday were explosive players. Take away the CJ touchdown and the Best run, and the Lions scored 10 points. 2 long plays. The Bears defense are NOT as good as the 49ers defense. Wouldn't you say it's possible for the 49ers to stop those two players? We're faster on D. The Best TD would have never have happened, so hell, take away that one touchdown. 17 points.

Do you not think the 49ers can score 17? You're the 4th best scoring team. We're 6th.

What about defense? You're the 4th best points-against defense. We're 2nd.

2 close teams = 1 close game. Easy win?
======================================

Just so you know, Carlos Rodgers will be covering Megatron. Who? Former first-round pick. This year, he's 1 behind the leader in passes defensed. He leads the league in interceptions. He is tied for the lead in defensive TDs. Who?

But that doesn't matter. Our pass rush is also getting no respect, and they have just as much to do with it. Aldon Smith would be a rookie-of-the-year candidate if he played more. A BEAST of a player on passing downs. Justin Smith is having another Pro Bowl season. Ray McDonald is finally starting and will soon be a big name. Patrick Willis is a beast, but Navarro Bowman is just a step behind him... if you can believe that. Ahmad Brooks is a nasty pass rushing linebacker. Dante Whitner and Dashan Goldson are good safeties, the best tandem that we've had in the last 10 years.

You guys are talking about Shante Spencer.... lol. He's not even a starter anymore. 3rd down the list I believe. Chris Culliver is a FREAK at CB. Even TB is better.

That's the one weak spot in our secondary: Tarrell Brown. I don't trust him. He's good but also bad. If anything, that's the poison that will kill us.

As for our offense? Kendall Hunter & Frank Gore = the best 1-2 in the NFC. We have a new FB that is opening holes like a mad man. Delanie Walker is the MOST under-rated player in the league. Guy flat-out makes plays. Kyle Williams will finally get a chance to show his stuff. Crabtree has the talent, just hasn't been used much because of his injury. He had a bogus TD taken away once already... and this is the first game he will actually be a #1 WR. I hope he can bring it.

Physical offense, hard-hitting defense.

Sorry I exploded. :<

Rodney Dangerfield?

October 12th, 2011, 9:49 am
Team MVP

I have all the respect in the world for what the 49ers are doing, but you realize the Lions are getting press because this is the first time they're 5-0 since 1956. Its sort of been awhile.

I said they'll be the most physical team we've played. But you're also starting Alex Smith. He's had moments like this in the past, only to mentally lose it. I think its a good thing to see the 49ers be competitive again. They have a fan base that crossed the country, but people are going to be skeptical of Alex Smith until he can be consistent. People are still unsure about Matt Stafford because he hasn't played a full season. The difference is Stafford has been very good when he's played. You should know Alex's history.

As for the respect issue because everyone is talking about us... People still bring up 0-16 every game. The media might feel like the team is getting all the respect it deserves, the fans and fans like you of other teams might feel it also. The players have said time and time again, they're not satisfied with it. They do and will have plenty to play for this week. They didn't even enjoy the win for 24 hours before they were already back to work.

San Fran is going to be a test. But I wouldn't classify it as a major exam, more of an important quiz ;)

October 12th, 2011, 9:56 am
Pro Bowl Player

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francis ... ening-line

Quote:
Upon the completion of week five, NFL oddsmakers began opening up lines for week six action and they initially installed the Detroit Lions as six point favorites against the San Francisco 49ers. Although Detroit's victory over the Bears on Monday Night Football wasn't pretty, they handled their business and improved to 5-0. They are playing solid football and deserve to be favorites in this Sunday's home game against the 49ers.

The line has had some change over the last 12 hours however, which indicates people either believe in the 49ers to win or at least think it will be a close ball game. My guess is people see a potential three point outcome and have brought the line down from six points to four and a half points.

This really is a tough game to wager on if you're an objective gambler. The 49ers are playing good football and coming off a dominating performance against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. You could bet on them to cover figuring it's two solid teams in what should be a tight matchup. On the other hand, Detroit is rolling and has the dramatic home field advantage. With a raucous Ford Field crowd on hand, the Lions explosive offense could jump all over the 49ers. As a 49ers fans, I simply choose not to bet on the game (minus a lunch with a Michigan friend of mine).

If we were going to San Francisco, I'd expect we would all be praying for a half time comeback like in Dallas. Since it's in our House I expect an extremely close game. And the Lions just found their feet running the football ( so 20 yards on the ground or 150 yards, either would surprise me )

While the 49er's think they deserve respect, I'd just say "come get some". They lost at home to Dallas. They Beat the SeaHawks, Bengals, Eagles, and Bucs.

They've played some good , close games. This is a good measuring stick for the Lions, but I like Detroit because of Alex Smith. He is under 180 yards in 3 games this year. I "think" our D line will shake him , and don't expect him to show the poise in the pocket and out of the pocket that Jay Cutler did.

I will agree with 49er's fan, they are not getting any respect : and they shouldn't expect to find it at Ford Field. Not these Lions!

Lions 31
49ers 27

October 12th, 2011, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

Yeah, easy there 49ers. I expect this game to be the Lions toughest test yet. So do many other here. I don't think there is a fan on this site that thinks we are gonna roll over your team... chill out.

October 12th, 2011, 10:18 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
49ers wrote:
The Eagles fans said the same thing you are saying. So did the Bucs. "I expect a win" and "they can't defend us", etc etc. No respect. None. Do you guys realize that if it wasn't for a 50-yard field goal, we too would be 5-0?

You guys already have respect. So what are you playing for this Sunday? The Lions had a short week and an emotional win over a divisional opponent that you wanted revenge against because of last years "touchdown that wasn't". You have tons of respect. Everyone is talking about you. Lions-this and Packers-that. It's all we hear. Pissing me off.

A 48-3 win, no respect. Hardly a mention of it on ESPN or the NBC show. So god damn mad, but just like the players, it's a controlled rage that will be used during the game. No respect. The only way to get it is by beating a team that's only decent plays on Monday were explosive players. Take away the CJ touchdown and the Best run, and the Lions scored 10 points. 2 long plays. The Bears defense are NOT as good as the 49ers defense. Wouldn't you say it's possible for the 49ers to stop those two players? We're faster on D. The Best TD would have never have happened, so hell, take away that one touchdown. 17 points.

This post made me laugh. Obviously the Eagles are going to say it's going to be an easy win because on paper it shows they should of.

What are we playing for this Sunday... I don't know.. maybe to stay undefeated and to keep pace with the Packers?

Also when you say your team wins 48-3 and not a mention on ESPN or NBC, what did you think you guys were going to get? Did you honestly think you guys were going to get the headlines out of a blowout win? The reason were getting so much media is not just the team, it's the city that has gotten behind this team. The city has been through hell and this team is saving Detroit.

Also reading your post the first thing that comes to my mind is YOU are jealous of all the media the Lions are getting. You seem like one of those people that if the spotlights not on your team, no one should get it then. [-X

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

Last edited by Lions2SB2 on October 12th, 2011, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 12th, 2011, 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Wow @ that guy lol.

All the 49ers fans I know think were going to crush them and I'm like no dude you guys are legit good. I'm really hoping for a Lions blowout but the chances of that aren't happening.

October 12th, 2011, 10:35 am
Afghan Allstar

Love how he stated how strong his team is against the run. We're a passing team. I know Best did a heck of a job last week, but let's be realistic...How many games is best going to go off for 160 yards on the ground? I do think this will be a tough game, but our strength is through the air, and no one has been able to cover CJ for a complete game yet.

October 12th, 2011, 11:12 am
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:
So what are you playing for this Sunday?

First place in the division - in case you missed it the Packers also haven't lost a game.

I can see where this guy is coming from, imagine if the Lions had just one loss and coming off a huge blowout win against a quality NFC team and still was getting no love.

Honestly I don't feel nearly as good about this game as I did with the last four, thankfully it is at home.

October 12th, 2011, 11:21 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

Pablo wrote:
49ers wrote:
So what are you playing for this Sunday?

First place in the division - in case you missed it the Packers also haven't lost a game.

I can see where this guy is coming from, imagine if the Lions had just one loss and coming off a huge blowout win against a quality NFC team and still was getting no love.

Honestly I don't feel nearly as good about this game as I did with the last four, thankfully it is at home.

Yeah, I don't get the whole no love thing. On some powerpolls I've seen this week the 49ers are as high as #5. I think that's pretty good...

October 12th, 2011, 11:34 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I understand the "no respect" point of view but the complaint about hearing about the Lions non-stop on TV is a bit crazy coming from a 49ers fan. I wonder if he remembers 1980-1999, when the 49ers were everywhere? The Lions get five weeks of coverage and this guy is upset? Gimmie a break.

October 12th, 2011, 12:26 pm
Varsity Captain

I didn't go to other topics, just this one. I saw very little here. Not that I should expect it from a Lions forum (I shouldn't, no worries). But I was mainly trying to answer the "what's the lowdown" question. I was giving you a what's-what on my Niners. The team in general is much better than people realize. Great coaching is helping, but the talent is also there.

But the main "no respect" is from the media. We see nothing on a daily basis. Ironically, there is a front-page article on ESPN.com/nfl about us (finally). So it's starting to show, but it took a few days. Perhaps it was all being digested.

October 12th, 2011, 12:37 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

49ers wrote:
You guys make me laugh. Just like everyone else, the 49ers still getting no credit for their wins. "The Bucs turned the ball over and gave up". Really? That's it? This is the NFL. You don't destroy teams if you aren't any good (KC Chiefs... week 1....), especially a 3-1 team.

The 49ers are better than everyone realizes. We're the only team in the league that hasn't allowed a rushing touchdown. We're the only team that hasn't allowed a rusher to gain more than 65 yards. The team that has kept the opposing runners to less than 3 yards per carry. We force turnovers and take advantage. We have close to the #1 defense, and about a #3 offense. Alex Smith is rated 3rd (Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady) in QB rating. Alex Smith has only thrown one red zone INT in his career, and 35 touchdowns (best ratio in the history of the NFL). He just needed an offensive coach, a former NFL QB, to help show him the way. He's never had an offensive head coach until this year.

Do you not think the 49ers can score 17? You're the 4th best scoring team. We're 6th.

What about defense? You're the 4th best points-against defense. We're 2nd.

2 close teams = 1 close game. Easy win?
======================================

Just so you know, Carlos Rodgers will be covering Megatron. Who? Former first-round pick. This year, he's 1 behind the leader in passes defensed. He leads the league in interceptions. He is tied for the lead in defensive TDs. Who?

But that doesn't matter. Our pass rush is also getting no respect, and they have just as much to do with it. Aldon Smith would be a rookie-of-the-year candidate if he played more. A BEAST of a player on passing downs. Justin Smith is having another Pro Bowl season. Ray McDonald is finally starting and will soon be a big name. Patrick Willis is a beast, but Navarro Bowman is just a step behind him... if you can believe that. Ahmad Brooks is a nasty pass rushing linebacker. Dante Whitner and Dashan Goldson are good safeties, the best tandem that we've had in the last 10 years.

You guys are talking about Shante Spencer.... lol. He's not even a starter anymore. 3rd down the list I believe. Chris Culliver is a FREAK at CB. Even TB is better.

That's the one weak spot in our secondary: Tarrell Brown. I don't trust him. He's good but also bad. If anything, that's the poison that will kill us.

As for our offense? Kendall Hunter & Frank Gore = the best 1-2 in the NFC. We have a new FB that is opening holes like a mad man. Delanie Walker is the MOST under-rated player in the league. Guy flat-out makes plays. Kyle Williams will finally get a chance to show his stuff. Crabtree has the talent, just hasn't been used much because of his injury. He had a bogus TD taken away once already... and this is the first game he will actually be a #1 WR. I hope he can bring it.

Physical offense, hard-hitting defense.

Sorry I exploded. :<

Dude, stop being so sensitive. We have been showing the 9ers nothing but respect. And we have a history with Carlos Rodgers so your not scaring anyone. And while I agree with most of what you said, Carlos Rodgers can't defend either of our top 3 WRs. I look forward to watching Culliver play though, he will be a starter next year. You also bring up the fact that we already have respect, yes because we've won 9 games in a row dating back to last season. You can go on these rants as hard as you want about how good your team team is but we have a pretty damn good team too and we are home for that game. You don't hear us complaining about the Packer's hype machine. They've earned it and SF has not yet. But they are on their way for sure

October 12th, 2011, 12:39 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Our QB's story vs. yours

It's a QB's league, and I'll take ours TY =;

October 12th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

To be fair, the niners don't have a sniff of the talent that we do on offense. He has Frank Gore and Vernon Davis who are both good when on the field but he has no Calvin Johnson or Jahvid Best who is a threat to score every time they catch the football. Titus Young would probably be there best receiver even if everyone was healthy.

They never really have surrounded Alex with any pieces to succeed IMO. No real threats at wideout, I know they drafted Craptree but he obviously hasn't panned out.

October 12th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Varsity Captain

Some of you guys are completely missing the point, and it's probably because I'm not wording it correctly, so I'll try it again:

The 49ers are just one 50-yard field goal from being 5-0. I've heard a ton about the Bills and Lions and Packers, not much for the 49ers. I don't want us to dominate the headlines, that's BS. Just some love. Some respect. It literally took more than two full days to finally get a mention on PTI, and that was basically all I've seen so far. You'd think after a 48-3 whooping, you'd get more than one highlight clip. Nada. Nothing. Pisses me off. And I guarantee you it pisses the players off. And if I'm pissed off, I'd play better. No respect = fighting that much harder <--- That's the point.

This is a validation game for us. We NEED to win. WE NEED TO WIN this game. The Lions want to win to stay with the Packers and be near the top. We NEED to, because we need validation, we need respect. The Lions are getting tons of love. They have respect. They don't need to prove anything this Sunday. Who needs this game more? The Lions or 49ers? That's the point of my rant.

njroar wrote:
But you're also starting Alex Smith. He's had moments like this in the past, only to mentally lose it.

Alex Smith has NEVER had a moment like this. Ever. EVER! We've been 3-1 and lost it, but we were 3-1 not because of Alex Smith. You're thinking of the 2009 season where we started Shaun Hill and jumped to a 3-1 record. Not sure what you mean by "moments like this". We've never been 4-1 with Alex Smith (not even close to that). Never was he any higher than 25th in passer rating (currently 3rd). If you look at his best games of his career, 3 of his best 6 career games have happened this year (Tampa, Philly, Arizona). And who did he have to pass to in those games? The same receivers now, minus Josh Morgan who was 3rd on the depth charts. Moments like this? This is one-of-a-kind. This is brand new. This isn't the old Alex Smith, this is the new one, and he's here to stay thanks to Jim Harbaugh.

========

Nobody knows their team better than the fans. I'm not sitting here talking about the Lions. I could guess (just like you're guessing about my team), but I'd be wrong. You want to bash Alex Smith? In the past, you'd be right. Today, you're wrong. You think Frank Gore is a top player on our team? He's actually on a down year. Kendall Hunter is probably better. In fact, the offensive line is tearing open HUGE holes, so it's really a mirage. Vernon Davis is still a beast, but I fully expect Kyle Williams to dominate when he FINALLY gets his chance, and he will this Sunday. Crabtree is ready to show his stuff as well. His injury that he's had ever game this year should finally be healed.

You guys wanted the low-down on the Niners, and that's what I'm giving you. Say what you want, and I'll correct you if you're wrong. BTW, Ginn is having a Pro Bowl year as kick returner. How is your special teams? Ginn can't wait to run on the turf! It will be his first time, and I'm excited about it!

October 12th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next