View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 15th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 What's the Lowdown on the 49ers? 
National Champion

Post Re: What's the Lowdown on the 49ers?
49ers wrote:
BTW, Ginn is having a Pro Bowl year as kick returner. How is your special teams? Ginn can't wait to run on the turf! It will be his first time, and I'm excited about it!

Special teams for the Lions have bee na pleasant surprise. They avoid/shutdown Hester on Monday, and they'll have another test with Ginn (damn Buckeye).

October 12th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Varsity Captain

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
49ers wrote:
BTW, Ginn is having a Pro Bowl year as kick returner. How is your special teams? Ginn can't wait to run on the turf! It will be his first time, and I'm excited about it!
Special teams for the Lions have bee na pleasant surprise. They avoid/shutdown Hester on Monday, and they'll have another test with Ginn (damn Buckeye).

Good point. There was even that one punt where it went right to Hester, and he was corralled and tackled easily.

October 12th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Varsity Captain

rofl.

Listening to the Scott Van Pelt show, and he's interviewing someone... don't recognize the voice... and they talked about the Lions/Niners game. That was the topic: LIONS vs NINERS

So what did they talk about? How awesome the Lions are. "Lions will do this" and "Lions have done that". They have great depth on the D-line. Cutler couldn't do anything, blah blah blah. They ignored the Niners completely and moved onto the next game. Not even a mention.

Dude. So mad. Just a little love and I wouldn't be as mad. I can't wait to see how mad the players are.

October 12th, 2011, 1:54 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
49ers wrote:
rofl.

Listening to the Scott Van Pelt show, and he's interviewing someone... don't recognize the voice... and they talked about the Lions/Niners game. That was the topic: LIONS vs NINERS

So what did they talk about? How awesome the Lions are. "Lions will do this" and "Lions have done that". They have great depth on the D-line. Cutler couldn't do anything, blah blah blah. They ignored the Niners completely and moved onto the next game. Not even a mention.

Dude. So mad. Just a little love and I wouldn't be as mad. I can't wait to see how mad the players are.

Your just mad because the spotlight isn't on your 49ers, also part of the reason is because your in an awful division. NFC West, come on, how sad of a division.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 12th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Lions2SB2 wrote:
Your just mad because the spotlight isn't on your 49ers, also part of the reason is because your in an awful division. NFC West, come on, how sad of a division.

Apparently you missed my previous response. Who cares about spotlight? I'd rather that go elsewhere. It's about getting a "nice game" here or there. Instead, all I hear is "Bucs had an off game". Not that we did well, but the Bucs didn't. And then we go ignored after that. During the Lions/Niners game chat on the radio, Niners were COMPLETELY ignored.

No respect. None. Wouldn't that piss you off? It would piss me off. If I was a player, I'd NEED to win this game.

That's the point.

PS - The NFC West had more Super Bowl appearances than your division in the past 12 years. If I remember correctly, only the AFC East had as many as we did, and that's only because of the Patriots all 4 times.

Last edited by 49ers on October 12th, 2011, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 12th, 2011, 2:05 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The attention the Lions are getting is because we've been so bad for so long. People are used to seeing the 49ers be good. A 4-1 (or even 5-0) 49ers team is not a story. They've won a million Super Bowls and anybody over the age of 25 has seen them as a dominant team for a long time. From a media perspective, the 49ers are boring, just as it the 5-0 Packers are boring. If the Steelers were 5-0, that too would be boring. The Lions have been pathetic for 50+ years, so 5-0 is a major story. It's not about respect, it's about the story. The media is driving the hype machine because it is interesting. We're just along for the ride. As soon as the Lions lose a game or two, the media will tone down the rhetoric.

October 12th, 2011, 2:08 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

49ers wrote:
rofl.

It's true, but west coast teams often get overlooked. Don't worry about publicity. I'm sure Jim Schwartz is giving the 49ers more than enough attention.

October 12th, 2011, 2:10 pm
Varsity Captain

mwill2 wrote:
The attention the Lions are getting is because we've been so bad for so long. People are used to seeing the 49ers be good. A 4-1 (or even 5-0) 49ers team is not a story. They've won a million Super Bowls and anybody over the age of 25 has seen them as a dominant team for a long time. From a media perspective, the 49ers are boring, just as it the 5-0 Packers are boring. If the Steelers were 5-0, that too would be boring. The Lions have been pathetic for 50+ years, so 5-0 is a major story. It's not about respect, it's about the story. The media is driving the hype machine because it is interesting. We're just along for the ride. As soon as the Lions lose a game or two, the media will tone down the rhetoric.

You guys are still COMPLETELY missing the point. It's not like you guys don't deserve the attention, you totally do. Your team is being praised. They are DAMN good, that's a fact. No doubt DAMN good and they DESERVE respect. They are home, feeling good after a nice divisional win. The Lions are constantly being reminded how good they are. Even you guys have your chests puffed out. Super badass, and you deserve it.

The 49ers, on the other hand, are getting ignored. Like we're nothing. Nobody. So far I've heard TWO discussions on ESPN radio about this up-coming game, and have had 10% mention of the Niners, and 90% Lions.

Now, as a Lions player, my guard would be down hearing all this. Being praised, being told how good I am, etc. As a Niner, I'd be PISSED off, WANTING to win.... NEEDING to win.

See what I'm saying? I don't want the praise, not looking for praise. We're getting no respect at all, even after a 48-3 game. That's the best thing that could have happened to this team. The level of intensity on our side should increase to an amount that I can't imagine.

Lions fans should be worried, but you guys seem to be missing it, even after I've tried to explain it several times. No Respect = HUGE EFFORT ON SUNDAY!

October 12th, 2011, 2:17 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Lions may be getting some attention but they don't have everyones respect. I moved to Southern California in January so I am new here. But the people are not talking about the Lions as if they are good. They are making excuses to why they won games just as much as they did about the 9ers.

You mentioned that the 49ers stomped Tampa and all you hear about is how Tampa didn't play good. How many times have I heard that the Lions shouldn't have won the Cowboy game or Vikings game? I heard so many times that both teams gave the game away. They should have ran the ball in the 2nd half and that is the coaches fault and they lost the game...not that the Lions won.

Even the game against Chicago I have heard nothing but negative comments. You said the same thing in your original post. If it wasn't for the 2 big plays the Lions would have lost. WTF?!? They did have 2 big plays and they won. You cannot play a 'what if' card in football as 1 play being different would change the entire outcome of a game.

People are also pointing to the record of the Lions opponents and saying...call us when you beat someone good. So yes, I know how you feel about the 'respect' angle as I don't think the Lions are necessarily getting enough respect. They have a good front 7 and Calvin Johnson and that is all you really hear about a good Lions squad.

You also said in one of your follow up posts that you were directing the no respect thing to not getting respect in the media. If that is what you meant, that is not what you said. You mentioned the word "YOU" or "YOU GUYS" multiple times in the posts meaning us fans on this board. You directed misguided anger in our direction and then backpedaled.

Here is the deal. The 49ers are a good team. The Lions are a good team. The 49ers defense matches up against our offense fairly well since they are so physical. This will be a test. The Lions will be relying on their front 7 to contain the 49ers biggest offensive threats in Davis and the RB tandem.

I am looking forward to this game. I think it will be a nailbiter and very exciting. I think homefield advantage will push the Lions over the top in this game, but I think it will be far from a blowout.

October 12th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Varsity Captain

Lionfanatic wrote:
Even the game against Chicago I have heard nothing but negative comments. You said the same thing in your original post. If it wasn't for the 2 big plays the Lions would have lost. WTF?!? They did have 2 big plays and they won. You cannot play a 'what if' card in football as 1 play being different would change the entire outcome of a game.

Except I did not say this. I said if the Bears can stop these 2 plays, then the Lions only score 10 points. Then I made a note to say how the 49ers defense is better than the Lions defense. I did not play the "what if" card for the Bears game, but I did say "what if" for the future game.

Lf wrote:
You also said in one of your follow up posts that you were directing the no respect thing to not getting respect in the media. If that is what you meant, that is not what you said. You mentioned the word "YOU" or "YOU GUYS" multiple times in the posts meaning us fans on this board. You directed misguided anger in our direction and then backpedaled.

I mean the combination of both, but back-peddled away from the "you" comments when it was brought to my attention that people on this forum were indeed recognizing our 4-1 record in other threads. That's the only reason why I backed away from that part.

No way do I ever predict outcomes to games btw. We could get blown out. We could win a nail-biter. I predict games which I'm not emotionally attached to. I'm way too biased otherwise.

October 12th, 2011, 3:32 pm
Towel Boy

hamma77 wrote:
To be fair, the niners don't have a sniff of the talent that we do on offense. He has Frank Gore and Vernon Davis who are both good when on the field but he has no Calvin Johnson or Jahvid Best who is a threat to score every time they catch the football. Titus Young would probably be there best receiver even if everyone was healthy.

They never really have surrounded Alex with any pieces to succeed IMO. No real threats at wideout, I know they drafted Craptree but he obviously hasn't panned out.

OK...ANother Niner fan here. I wasn't gonna say anything till I read this. Thats freakin' nuts. LOL!!!

1) Calvin is the best WR in the game, so you get no arguement there.
2) Best? Seriously? We saw him at Cal so we know how good he is, but I'll take SEVERAL Niners on O over him.
3) Titus Young? Um, I'll take both Crabtree or Braylon Edwards thank you.

Frank Gore is a beast. Vernon is among the best TEs in the NFL. Crabtree is MUCH better than anyone on here thinks (he had a broken foot and is just now starting to get into the groove). Delanie Walker is the best TE in the NFL that nobody knows about. Kendall Hunter reminds us of MJD.

Moreover, even tho it was a weakness when the season began, its starting to look like the real strength of the offense is the O-Line. There are 3 first round picks there that are all starting to play well.

I'm not saying the Niners are going to win (I actually think it'll be a close game), but slow down a bit with your offensive talent comment.

I'm not as much on the bandwagon about "respect" as the other Niner poster, but I hear what he's sayin'. The Niners have outscored their opponents in the past 6 quarters 71-6....and all we ever hear is that those other teams had off days. LOL!!

I don't begrudge you guys tho for getting the attention. As Niner fans, we had the 80's and 90's to get all the pub...its about time Detroit got some.

October 12th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Towel Boy

Marvin49 wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
To be fair, the niners don't have a sniff of the talent that we do on offense. He has Frank Gore and Vernon Davis who are both good when on the field but he has no Calvin Johnson or Jahvid Best who is a threat to score every time they catch the football. Titus Young would probably be there best receiver even if everyone was healthy.

They never really have surrounded Alex with any pieces to succeed IMO. No real threats at wideout, I know they drafted Craptree but he obviously hasn't panned out.

OK...ANother Niner fan here. I wasn't gonna say anything till I read this. Thats freakin' nuts. LOL!!!

1) Calvin is the best WR in the game, so you get no arguement there.
2) Best? Seriously? We saw him at Cal so we know how good he is, but I'll take SEVERAL Niners on O over him.
3) Titus Young? Um, I'll take both Crabtree or Braylon Edwards thank you.

Frank Gore is a beast. Vernon is among the best TEs in the NFL. Crabtree is MUCH better than anyone on here thinks (he had a broken foot and is just now starting to get into the groove). Delanie Walker is the best TE in the NFL that nobody knows about. Kendall Hunter reminds us of MJD.

Moreover, even tho it was a weakness when the season began, its starting to look like the real strength of the offense is the O-Line. There are 3 first round picks there that are all starting to play well.

I'm not saying the Niners are going to win (I actually think it'll be a close game), but slow down a bit with your offensive talent comment.

I'm not as much on the bandwagon about "respect" as the other Niner poster, but I hear what he's sayin'. The Niners have outscored their opponents in the past 6 quarters 71-6....and all we ever hear is that those other teams had off days. LOL!!

I don't begrudge you guys tho for getting the attention. As Niner fans, we had the 80's and 90's to get all the pub...its about time Detroit got some.

OH...and one more thing.....The WRs aren't what you need to be worrying about. The TEs are.

Back at STanford, Harbaugh featured the TE like no coach ever has. He had like FIVE good ones. In the bowl game, Luck threw 4 TDs. ALL to TEs.

This year? Alex has thrown 7 TDs. 2 to WRs, 5 to TEs including all three TDs last week.

This O that struggled early has REALLY started to gel in the past 6 quarters. This should be a very interesting game.

On another note, who would have thought that this game would draw the #1 Fox broadcasting crew. ;-)

October 12th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

It is great that we have to 49er fans posting on our boards and I do want to say welcome to you both. I don't know if you 2 will ever come back after the game, but it is great to have fans of other teams visiting us. So welcome to you both.

To 49ers you are correct when you stated that you did not say that the Lions would lose if not for those 2 big plays, but I felt it was implyed. That was 14 of our points. We won by 11 so that would say we would lose. Lions try to go for the big play. They like to take chances 20+ yards down the field. This time to Calvin it really paid off. But you can't just take those yards/points off and say if not for that than this, no matter in what context you try to use it.

Marvin you are right at the TE's being a bigger threat than the WR. I know myself said that the TE's would be a big threat and need to be stopped and I know other on here have said that we need to be more worried about the TE than the WR as a scoring threat.

We appreciate your guys' insight. I know the game is going to be fun to watch. I work with a bunch of 49er fans so I want the Lions to win this one just so I don't have to hear about it at work!

October 12th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

First post, visiting 9er fan.
I first want to say CONGRATS on a great beginning to your season! I've no doubt that you'll continue the outstanding play which will take you right into the playoffs. :cheers:

Personally, I don't care that the media isn't as hyped up about us as they are the Lions. Like some of you have pointed out, it's the Lions best start since '56. THAT is news worthy. The Niners on the other hand have essentially the same team that started 0-5 and finished 6-10 last year. Also, we have the same QB that we've had for the last 6 or so years who's proven, in previous years, to be inconsistent at best. The biggest difference is our new head coach and coaching staff.

Our new head coach and his staff have the Niners firing on all cylinders this year. We're playing great on O,D & ST. I believe we have the talent to go deep into the playoffs as well. But one game at a time...

This Sunday's game is gonna be the toughest match-up yet for the Niners. I'm predicting a high scoring affair and a Niner victory (of course!). This game is gonna be so tight that even the coin toss could matter. I think the Niners are gonna need to get the ball first, drive down the field and score a TD just to get the crowd to quiet down a bit. Once the Lion's fans get rockin' it's could be tough on our offense.

October 12th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't think the majority of Lions fans would rate Best over Gore, nor should anyone put Young over anyone else's receivers based on only a handful of catches. But let's not anoint Edwards and Crabtree as superstars. Crabtree has flashed some potential but not performed consistently and B. Edwards is not nearly as reliable as Nate Burleson. And yes, your QB is having a good year but let's not put him in the Pro Bowl just yet either. We all know how 49ers fans felt about him before the season started. He's capable of very poor play and we've all seen it.

Our QB has been shaky at times this year, so Stafford too has much to prove. The Lions' slow starts are also concerning and the inability to run the ball and control the clock has kept our defense on the field way too much. That's one area where I disagree with Schwartz--he wants to use the short passes (to Best and Pettigrew especially) as the running game but that approach has not manifested itself in favorable "time of possession" statistics. I worry about this game because if SF can run effectively, and if the Lions start slowly again, they might be trailing at halftime once again and may need to mount yet another dramatic second-half comeback--and they'll have to do it with a tired defense. Sooner or later, the slow starts will cost the Lions some games.

October 12th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next