View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Embarrassing... 
Post Re: Embarrassing...
Detroit_LIons wrote:
They dotn even televise the halftime show .. I think you have sand in your vagina guy .. They did put the city on display ,the youth of the city .. And yea they are going to fork over 100k to get Eminem or Kid Rock to do a 15 min set ? GTFOH guy .. A halftime show isnt going to change anyone's opinion about the city . A captivating HT show isnt about to boost the economy of the city ...

Who said anything about "boosting the economy" of the City, and who said anything about spending $100k? Being cheap and NOT hiring someone doesn't "boost the City's economy" either. It would have cost something like $10-20k to have someone big put on a 10-15minute show. Stars do birthday parties all the time for $10-30k, this should be no different. I'm betting that AWOLnation would have done it for $3-5k, if not for publicity alone. Instead we put on a 1/2assed debacle with 8-12 year old kids.

It's not about the halftime show, and it's not about what does/doesn't make it onto TV (although I already proved you wrong about whether or not it would have made TV had we put on a real show). It's about running Ford Field properly, and it's about achieving a level of professionalism that we haven't seen around our City's football team in decades!

October 18th, 2011, 11:15 am
Hall of Fame Player

Detroit_LIons wrote:
They dotn even televise the halftime show .. I think you have sand in your vagina guy .. They did put the city on display ,the youth of the city .. And yea they are going to fork over 100k to get Eminem or Kid Rock to do a 15 min set ? GTFOH guy .. A halftime show isnt going to change anyone's opinion about the city . A captivating HT show isnt about to boost the economy of the city ...

LMAO!! :lol:

October 20th, 2011, 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:

Who said anything about "boosting the economy" of the City, and who said anything about spending $100k? Being cheap and NOT hiring someone doesn't "boost the City's economy" either. It would have cost something like $10-20k to have someone big put on a 10-15minute show. Stars do birthday parties all the time for $10-30k, this should be no different. I'm betting that AWOLnation would have done it for $3-5k, if not for publicity alone. Instead we put on a 1/2assed debacle with 8-12 year old kids.

It's not about the halftime show, and it's not about what does/doesn't make it onto TV (although I already proved you wrong about whether or not it would have made TV had we put on a real show). It's about running Ford Field properly, and it's about achieving a level of professionalism that we haven't seen around our City's football team in decades!

You've actually got it backwards. The television networks don't look at a halftime lineup and think, "boy, that's a great show, we should put that on TV." It would be nice if the television networks were this flexible with their broadcasts but that's not how the industry works. Rather, the television network tells the NFL (or team) in advance "we want to air the halftime show" and the two parties would work together to find a suitable act that will help generate television ratings. They do this during the Super Bowl because they want to keep the costs of advertising high during halftime, so they have to have a major act play the halftime show in order to prevent viewers from changing channels, which justifies the inflated advertising price throughout the entire broadcast.

And, as unreasonable as it may sound, $100K is a reasonable estimate for a single performance by a "major act" like Kid Rock. And that's if the performer agrees to play for free! The band's staff, road crew, travel, set-up/strike, insurance, and other costs would easily reach $100K for a single 15 minute performance (it might as well be a 3-hour performance, since all the production costs are the same regardless of the show's duration). If production costs are covered, artists will often agree to play for free at the Super Bowl because the ratings are so high, the band ends up making millions from a spike in record sales and digital downloads. Without a TV broadcast to spike sales for the band, they're going to want to be paid. If that's the case, it could easily cost more than $250K for a 15 minute show.

I understand the desire for a cool show--it's a good idea. And maybe someday we'll see great halftime acts at regular games. But when it happens, it will undoubtedly result in higher ticket prices.

October 20th, 2011, 1:06 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... e_act.html

Quote:
Nickelback named halftime act at Detroit Lions' Thanksgiving Day game

Canadian alt-rockers Nickelback will promote their upcoming album, "Here and Now," with a half-time performance at the Detroit Lions' Thanksgiving Day game against the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 24.

The mega-platinum Canadian artists currently have two songs on the Billboard charts, "Bottoms Up" and "We All Stand Together." Led by frontman Chad Kroeger, the foursome is America's most popular foreign act since The Beatles. They've sold almost 50 million albums since forming in 1996. According to NME, they're also the #1 musical turnoff for discerning music fans around the globe.

Outraged Lions fans have already created a petition on change.org to urge Ford Field to choose another band to perform at the Thanksgiving Day halftime show, asking, "Is this some sort of ploy to get people to leave their seats during halftime to spend money on alcoholic beverages and concessions?"

November 3rd, 2011, 9:57 am
Profile WWW
I'm glad we're giving money to Canada... Their unemployment is so low, we really need to help them out... Ridiculous!!!

MWill, it's you that has it backward. I already mentioned numerous instances where half-time shows get at least partially broadcasted on Monday Night Football, and no one said it had to be a big production. Kid Rock has sang at Pistons games virtually impromptu (I'm sure it was probably rehearsed that way, but he did nothing but go out and congratulate a soldier and they played an accoustic version of "Born Free" over the PA while he sang. Anything would have been better than what they did... Hell, Cass Tech's marching band would have been less embarrassing (they're pretty damn good)...

November 3rd, 2011, 11:16 am
QB Coach

This whole debate is kind of funny to me. I don't think I've ever, in my life, heard anyone make any comment about a halftime show on a regular season game when watching it on TV. It's almost never broadcast, and nobody cares. I don't really understand the outrage here. It's a halftime show. Why do some people care so much? It's not the focus of the event. The football is. I just don't get it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 3rd, 2011, 11:20 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
This whole debate is kind of funny to me. I don't think I've ever, in my life, heard anyone make any comment about a halftime show on a regular season game when watching it on TV. It's almost never broadcast, and nobody cares. I don't really understand the outrage here. It's a halftime show. Why do some people care so much? It's not the focus of the event. The football is. I just don't get it.

I explained this here earlier... It's about operating Ford Field in a professional manner, and putting on a professional production. We clearly don't do that. We don't have cheerleaders, we don't have actual performers at our 1/2 time shows (hell, the Pistons have better 1/2 time entertainment than the Lions do), all we have is that damn rectum guy singing the Lions Fight Song... STUPID!!! (I've actually met him, he's a cool guy, but I can't stand that song... I don't think he likes it either)...

Compare our shottyness with what you see out of Dallas and tell me that it doesn't make a difference.

November 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm glad we're giving money to Canada... Their unemployment is so low, we really need to help them out... Ridiculous!!!

MWill, it's you that has it backward. I already mentioned numerous instances where half-time shows get at least partially broadcasted on Monday Night Football, and no one said it had to be a big production. Kid Rock has sang at Pistons games virtually impromptu (I'm sure it was probably rehearsed that way, but he did nothing but go out and congratulate a soldier and they played an accoustic version of "Born Free" over the PA while he sang. Anything would have been better than what they did... Hell, Cass Tech's marching band would have been less embarrassing (they're pretty damn good)...

Hilarious. This is my field. I know how it works. :roll:

November 3rd, 2011, 11:36 am
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I explained this here earlier... It's about operating Ford Field in a professional manner, and putting on a professional production. We clearly don't do that. We don't have cheerleaders, we don't have actual performers at our 1/2 time shows (hell, the Pistons have better 1/2 time entertainment than the Lions do), all we have is that damn rectum guy singing the Lions Fight Song... STUPID!!! (I've actually met him, he's a cool guy, but I can't stand that song... I don't think he likes it either)...

Compare our shottyness with what you see out of Dallas and tell me that it doesn't make a difference.

I guess that's the point. I have no idea what Dallas does for halftime or anything else. Yes they have the cowboys cheerleaders. They are an institution and a part of that organization. The Lions don't have that history or tradition. But regardless, my point is that it's minuscule. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less about who the halftime show or anything else. When I'm watching a game on tv, none of that matters. If I was there, it would probably be a little bit different. But most likely I'd be up out of my seat during halftime, not watching the halftime show.

I guess I'll pay attention next week when I'm at the Eagles vs Bears MNF game here in Philly. I'll see who they have for halftime entertainment and report back.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 3rd, 2011, 11:56 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:

+++++++++++++++1 =D>

November 3rd, 2011, 11:58 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Dickelback will be playing!? COOL!

not.

November 3rd, 2011, 12:21 pm
National Champion

everybody seem to like the detroit talent theme for half time, Kid rock, Seger, stevie wonder, ect.

and so do i.

and they should do that on T-day

My choice would be...good ole Uncle TED.. :lol:

starting out with "Motor city madhouse" and bringing it home with "Stranglehold".
that should get the home field fired up.. :twisted:

November 4th, 2011, 9:22 am
RIP Killer

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... g-20111103

Rolling Stone wrote:
Detroit Lions Fans Furious About Nickelback Halftime Show Booking

Fans have started an online petition to get the team to change the Thanksgiving Day game entertainment

Detroit Lions were so bad for so long that just a few years ago there were calls by both media and fans to eliminate the team's annual Thanksgiving Day game. But now that the team is 6-2 and on their way to a potential playoff berth, the Turkey Day matchup with their division rival, defending Super Bowl champs the Green Bay Packers, has suddenly taken on a lot more significance – which is why their fans are furious that the team has booked Nickelback to be the halftime entertainment.

They're so angry that one fan started an online petition to have the Lions change the halftime show. The basis for asking for the change, according to the petition:

“This game is nationally televised, do we really want the rest of the US to associate Detroit with Nickelback? Detroit is home to so many great musicians and they chose Nickelback?!?!?! Does anyone even like Nickelback? Is this some sort of ploy to get people to leave their seats during halftime to spend money on alcoholic beverages and concessions? This is completely unfair to those of us who purchased tickets to the game. At least the people watching at home can mute their TVs. The Lions ought to think about their fans before choosing such an awful band to play at halftime.”

If you think about it, the plea makes sense. Nickelback is a Canadian band, and Detroit is one of the greatest musical cities in America. Maybe the Lions and the NFL are saving Eminem and Stevie Wonder for the playoffs. But what about Bob Seger, Aretha Franklin or Alice Cooper? Kid Rock would surely be down. Iggy Pop is from Detroit. How good would "Lust For Life" sound when you're trying to pump up 80,000 fans playing against the best team in football? For once the Lions have a chance to show off their best, and a Detroit act seems like the way to go.

November 4th, 2011, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

This is why nationally known acts shouldn't be booked, and probably wasn't booked for the MNF game.

Who the f*** cares who is playing at halftime?!

Aren't you there to see the football game? Does THAT ring a bell as to why there is a FOOTBALL field in front of you?

If you don't like Nickelback, either don't go to the game, or leave your seat at halftime. If you don't want to hear them, then bring your freakin' iPod and listen to all the Kid Rock/Bob Seger/Eminem/Alice Cooper/Ted Nugent/Stevie Wonder or whatever other Detroit-based music you want to.

What right do ANY of the fans have to try and determine who plays at halftime?

November 4th, 2011, 10:32 am

I don't personally care who plays at halftime, but people griping should be blaming Fox, not the Lions. The network is almost certainly pulling the strings in determining who plays at halftime. It's all about selling television ad revenue during halftime. The selection has little (if anything) to do with Detroit, or the fans in attendance.

November 4th, 2011, 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next