View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 1:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Embarrassing... 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Embarrassing...
mwill2 wrote:
I don't personally care who plays at halftime, but people griping should be blaming Fox, not the Lions. The network is almost certainly pulling the strings in determining who plays at halftime. It's all about selling television ad revenue during halftime. The selection has little (if anything) to do with Detroit, or the fans in attendance.

Remember Black Eye Peas last year? They were god awful and FOX hype them up!

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 4th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This entire thing has been ridiculous IMO:
Detroit Free Press wrote:
Crusade swells against Nickelback for Detroit Lions game
7:34 PM, Nov. 4, 2011 | BY BRIAN MCCOLLUM

A petition to dislodge Nickelback from the Detroit Lions’ Thanksgiving Day game has turned into a whole mess of petitions.

Rolling into its second day, the Great Nickelback Debacle continued to generate heated Internet chatter and international headlines, as the original fan campaign against the rock band closed in on 35,000 signatures.

In vintage online style, a host of copycat petitions cropped up across the web, including two at Change.org protesting the protests (“DON'T replace Nickelback as the halftime show for the Thanksgiving game,” read one).

Others had specific requests — “Replace Nickelback with The Black Keys” (55 signatures) — while others took the long view: “Keep Kid Rock/Uncle Kracker from performing in case Nickelback gets pulled” (eight signatures).

NFL officials, meanwhile, pointed out something that’s been lost in all the excitement: The league hasn’t actually named Nickelback as the performer for the Nov. 24 game at Ford Field.

“We have not yet announced this year's Thanksgiving halftime show,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Free Press by email. Asked when a decision about performers will be made, he replied simply: “Soon.”

If Nickelback has been booked, there’s no chance the band will be ousted, said one official involved with the game.

The Lions organization is not directly involved in the Thanksgiving halftime show, which is coordinated by the league, the United Way and a California production firm.

News of the band’s selection was originally reported Tuesday by the Oakland Press. As word spread the next day, University of Michigan student Dennis Guttman started his petition at Change.org — “Replace Nickelback as the halftime show for the Thanksgiving game.”

With social media and national news sites fanning the flames, the petition picked up steam Thursday, and by Friday evening had notched more than 33,000 signatures as it took on full-fledged web meme status.

The brouhaha was a particularly hot story in Nickelback’s Canadian homeland, with widespread media coverage led by headlines such as “Lions fans roar to keep Nickelback away.”

Jumping into the fray Friday was Ann Arbor native Mayer Hawthorne. The indie soul musician and devout Lions fan cut a half-minute video clip for Rolling Stone, playfully announcing his candidacy to replace Nickelback.

“I hear there may be a spot opening up. I need your vote,” says Hawthorne, the Stars and Stripes behind him as he directs viewers to his Twitter and Facebook pages.

Many protesters, including Guttman, have argued that Nickelback’s selection is especially tragic given Detroit’s rich music history.

But it’s worth pointing out that whatever the merits of Nickelback, the Lions’ Thanksgiving game has not traditionally been a platform for Motor City music: Previous performers have included Mary J. Blige, Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, the Goo Goo Dolls, Enrique Iglesias and John Mellencamp. Last year’s Thanksgiving halftime set by Kid Rock was the first by a Michigan act.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111104/ENT04/111104046/Crusade-swells-against-Nickelback-Lions-game

To be honest, out of all the football games I've ever attended, I don't think I ever watched a halftime show. I usually have a smoke, buy a beer, and take a piss during that time, so I couldn't care less who or what the entertainment is.

November 5th, 2011, 11:59 am
Hall of Fame Player

So, what did Nickelback do that is generating these petitions?

Never mind. I read back in this thread and found that they are Canadian so they shouldn't be allowed to breath. LOL.

I was at the game that the Lions had that Japanese guy that was on American Idol several years ago. Halftime shows just don't get any worse than that. We booed the poor guy out of the city. LOL He was stinking awful.

Last edited by BillySims on November 5th, 2011, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

November 5th, 2011, 8:58 pm
RIP Killer

Hey, at least it's not Coldplay!

Remember, it could always be worse

November 5th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
So, what did Nickelback do that is generating these petitions?

Never mind. I read back in this thread and found that they are Canadian so they shouldn't be allowed to breath. LOL.

I was at the game that the Lions had that Japanese guy that was on American Idol several years ago. Halftime shows just don't get any worse than that. We booed the poor guy out of the city. LOL He was stinking awful.

I thought that Japanese guy (Hung?) played at the Pistons halftime show during the Finals against the Lakers. I'm a remember this wrong?

November 5th, 2011, 11:50 pm
National Champion

I remember John Mellencamp being booed by a Detroit crowd once. Detroit can be a pretty harsh city.

November 6th, 2011, 9:13 am
Mr. Irrelevant

I think people are petitioning to ban Nickelback from playing because they'ven't come out with anything consistently good since "All the Right Reasons" in 2005.

November 6th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Footsoldier32 wrote:
I think people are petitioning to ban Nickelback from playing because they'ven't come out with anything consistently good since "All the Right Reasons" in 2005.

Can I start a petition to ban you for suggesting that Nickelback were EVER good? :D

November 6th, 2011, 10:24 pm
Varsity 1st Team

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Can I start a petition to ban you for suggesting that Nickelback were EVER good? :D

Where do I sign?

Frok

November 7th, 2011, 1:05 am
Hall of Fame Player

frok wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Where do I sign?

Frok

I just want a bathroom I can play baseball in and pop my pills from a pez dispenser. LOL.

I have to admit. I like Nickelback. Photograph was a great song also.

November 7th, 2011, 10:12 pm
1st Round Pick

BillySims wrote:
frok wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Where do I sign?

Frok

I just want a bathroom I can play baseball in and pop my pills from a pez dispenser. LOL.

I have to admit. I like Nickelback. Photograph was a great song also.

:shock:

November 8th, 2011, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

The whole Nickelback "controversy" is funny to me. People love to say they hate the band, but they sell a ton of albums (something like 50 million worldwide). I believe they've also set a record for most #1 songs on one of the billboard charts. It's like Hootie & the Blowfish back in the 90's. Everyone loved to rip on them and say they are terrible, yet they sold tens of millions of albums. How is that possible if everyone hated them? In my opinion, people just want to be contrary to the popular belief and don't want to consider themselves mainstream, so they rail against the most mainstream rock band. Sure, some people truly don't like them, but I think a lot of people just want to be different.

Personally, I don't particularly love them or hate them. They're ok.

That said, I do understand wanting a Detroit artist to play instead. If they're going to make the halftime show into a big event, it's much better to use a local act, especially when there are so many highly successful Detroit musicians.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 8th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Sure, dogg! Do your thing!

November 8th, 2011, 4:50 pm
RIP Killer

What bothers me most about this whole petition thing is that now we'll have all these morons in the stadium that will think they should boo Nickelback, in front of a national audience, and make Detroit look like a bunch of idiots.

I think it was said best that this band has sold 50 million records/albums/CDs/whatever...so there's a boatload of folks out there who DO like them.

And in reality, I like some of their songs. I've certainly heard worse.

November 8th, 2011, 6:41 pm
1st Round Pick

Eminem and Kid Rock- From The D 8)

Okay, maybe that wouldn't be a good song...

I thought Animals from Nickelback wasn't too bad.

November 8th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next