View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Lions place S Erik Coleman on IR; Re-sign TE Joe Jon Finley 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Lions place S Erik Coleman on IR; Re-sign TE Joe Jon Finley
Mlive wrote:
Detroit Lions place safety Erik Coleman on IR, re-sign tight end Joe Jon Finley
Published: Thursday, October 13, 2011, 10:45 AM Updated: Thursday, October 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
By Justin Rogers | MLive.com MLive.com

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have placed safety Erik Coleman on injured reserve with an ankle injury. To fill the open roster spot, the team has re-signed tight end Joe Jon Finley.

Coleman injured his ankle on kickoff coverage during the team's Week 3 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Finley, an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma in 2008, was with the Lions during training camp this season. He was part of the final round of cuts to get the roster down to 53. In four preseason appearances Finley caught six passes for 61 yards and a touchdown.

The signing could be an indication that tight end Tony Scheffler, who suffered a concussion during Monday night's win over the Bears, might be out for a couple weeks.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/10/detroit_lions_place_safety_eri.html

I'm kinda worried about their depth at safety now. Wendling is more of a special teamer and I don't know how much Fuller has left.

October 13th, 2011, 11:46 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions place S Erik Coleman on IR; Re-sign TE Joe Jon Fin
slybri19 wrote:
Mlive wrote:
Published: Thursday, October 13, 2011, 10:45 AM Updated: Thursday, October 13, 2011, 10:48 AM

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have placed safety Erik Coleman on injured reserve with an ankle injury. To fill the open roster spot, the team has re-signed tight end Joe Jon Finley.

Coleman injured his ankle on kickoff coverage during the team's Week 3 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Finley, an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma in 2008, was with the Lions during training camp this season. He was part of the final round of cuts to get the roster down to 53. In four preseason appearances Finley caught six passes for 61 yards and a touchdown.

The signing could be an indication that tight end Tony Scheffler, who suffered a concussion during Monday night's win over the Bears, might be out for a couple weeks.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/10/detroit_lions_place_safety_eri.html

I'm kinda worried about their depth at safety now. Wendling is more of a special teamer and I don't know how much Fuller has left.

Wendling performed well on Monday night, so I don't think that should be a concern. Fuller is still young, and knows the system.

I like the re-signing of Finley. I thought he was pretty good in pre-season, and I thought he may have a chance of making the squad as the fourth TE since the Lions were going without a FB. All in all, I'm not overly concerned.

October 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm
League MVP

coleman wasnt very good anyhow...wendling has actually played well and Spievey cant be out too much longer. if coleman was worth anything they wouldnt have IR'd him so quickly

October 14th, 2011, 12:10 am
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
Mlive wrote:

This is to get us through until Scheff is back. I bet at that time we cut JJF and sign a safety.

October 14th, 2011, 12:33 am
All State

Where is Anderson Silva @ ? Guess he just isnt ready

October 15th, 2011, 1:09 am
Water Boy

Detroit_LIons wrote:

That's what read somewhere. He looked good in preseason, but the coaches were put off by his risk taking.

October 15th, 2011, 9:03 am
RIP Killer

E30 wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:

That's what read somewhere. He looked good in preseason, but the coaches were put off by his risk taking.

Well, first off Anderson Silva is probably more interested in his MMA career than playing for the Lions. :-k

If you are referring to Ricardo Silva, I'm sure the Lions realize that having a third tight end for the game is more important than having a fourth safety. Scheffler isn't going to play, and may not play against the Falcons if the indications are true.
The Lions coaches get to see Silva every day and see how he performs. Either you trust their judgement, or you don't.

October 15th, 2011, 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]