View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 8:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers 
Author Message
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Joined: October 13th, 2011, 9:00 pm
Posts: 20
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
conversion02 wrote:
49erpaintrain wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
ya atleast Momo and Williams won't run for as many losses. I'm just really worried about Jahvid Best's career and his life after football. The amount of concussions he's recieved is flat out scary and he's only 23-24. I would sit him for sure until after the bye week and if it happens again, I'd consider putting him on IR


Being from the bay area and a Cal fan that was his biggest issue, he's very concussion prone. IMO he's not built to be an every down back. He needs to be a 3rd down back ala Sproles. His body just cant take the pounding. Lions need a back that can pound it between the tackles and wear down the defense then let Best come in and kill them with his speed. Or even use a 2 back system and have Best as a recieving back. 9ers are finding alot of success with Gore pounding the rock and then letting our rookie come in late in games when the D is tired. Our last drive yesterday we had a fresh Hunter come in and have two big runs that were like 9 yards a piece.

There's small backs that can take the pounding like a MJD or a Ray Rice, but those guys are built like a tank.


We have that cowbell back - he's on IR with a torn Achilles. Mikel leshoure.


ah, he was drafted this year right? How was Best utilized last year? Just asking as i dont see Lions games often


October 17th, 2011, 10:09 pm
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10325
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
Yeah, 2nd round

Last year, Best was used in the same role as he is this year, and absolutely ripped it upnin the first 3 games, then the turf toe hit...on both feet. After game 3, he was playing hurt the rest of the season

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 17th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Profile
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Joined: October 13th, 2011, 9:00 pm
Posts: 20
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
conversion02 wrote:
Yeah, 2nd round

Last year, Best was used in the same role as he is this year, and absolutely ripped it upnin the first 3 games, then the turf toe hit...on both feet. After game 3, he was playing hurt the rest of the season



Ah, i remember him getting the turf toe, didnt know if he was an every down back or not

This video still scares me to this day. Such a brutal landing.




hmm, im failing at embedding :cry: (fixed :wink: )


October 18th, 2011, 12:08 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2274
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
Bests first concussion this year was a head on collision with Joe Haden in the preseason and this one vs SF it looked like he got tackled by another DB and his head just sort of drove into the ground due to momentum. He should not be an everydown back even though we use him that way because when he is in, he runs very hard and leads with his head when finishing off runs instead of protecting himself. He just gets very reckless in the open field sometimes and thats prolly what has made him such a threat.

just my opinion

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


October 18th, 2011, 12:19 am
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3247
Location: Maryland
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
Quote:
Officials gave 49ers five free yards on game-winning drive
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
Justin Smith, Jahvid Best AP

The bad blood between Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz has so overshadowed Sunday’s 49ers-Lions game that we’ve barely even discussed what the players on the field for these two 5-1 teams did on Sunday.

Unfortunately, we’ve now got another controversy coming out of this game that has nothing to do with the players: At the start of the 49ers’ game-winning drive, they were given five free yards when the officials spotted the ball in the wrong place.

It all started with the Lions leading 19-14 and punting from their own 36-yard line with five and a half minutes left in the fourth quarter. San Francisco’s Ted Ginn fielded the punt at his own 25 and got off a good return, crossing midfield before getting pushed out of bounds at the Lions’ 40-yard line.

And then, when they came back from the commercial break, the officials spotted the ball at the Lions’ 35-yard line, putting the 49ers five yards closer to the goal line. There wasn’t a five-yard penalty, it was simply that the officials put the ball on the wrong yard line following the break in the action. The Lions didn’t notice, the TV announcers didn’t notice, and if any members of the media noticed, it got drowned out in the Harbaugh-Schwartz hubbub. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com appears to have been the first reporter to mention the issue; he was alerted to it by a fan on Twitter.

It took the 49ers eight plays to go 35 yards, and they eventually scored on a fourth-down pass from Alex Smith to Delanie Walker. Obviously, it’s entirely possible that they would have scored if they had needed to go 40 yards, too. But the Lions would have preferred not to give the 49ers a free five yards on a crucial drive.

The 49ers were called for 15 penalties on Sunday, and they were the ones doing most of the complaining about the officiating after the game, with receiver Michael Crabtree saying referee Mike Carey had an “attitude,” and cornerback Chris Culliver saying the officials were “Detroit fans.” But on balance the bad calls seem to have hurt the Lions more: There was also a questionable ruling that Matthew Stafford’s forward progress had stopped in the end zone on a safety, and a bad horse-collar tackle call against the Lions helped to set up a 49ers field goal.

Maybe instead of yelling at Harbaugh to learn the rules, Schwartz should have been yelling at Carey to learn the rules.


Dunno if this was posted yet, but there's gotta be some explanation for this somewhere?


October 18th, 2011, 10:56 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2345
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:
Officials gave 49ers five free yards on game-winning drive
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
Justin Smith, Jahvid Best AP

The bad blood between Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz has so overshadowed Sunday’s 49ers-Lions game that we’ve barely even discussed what the players on the field for these two 5-1 teams did on Sunday.

Unfortunately, we’ve now got another controversy coming out of this game that has nothing to do with the players: At the start of the 49ers’ game-winning drive, they were given five free yards when the officials spotted the ball in the wrong place.

It all started with the Lions leading 19-14 and punting from their own 36-yard line with five and a half minutes left in the fourth quarter. San Francisco’s Ted Ginn fielded the punt at his own 25 and got off a good return, crossing midfield before getting pushed out of bounds at the Lions’ 40-yard line.

And then, when they came back from the commercial break, the officials spotted the ball at the Lions’ 35-yard line, putting the 49ers five yards closer to the goal line. There wasn’t a five-yard penalty, it was simply that the officials put the ball on the wrong yard line following the break in the action. The Lions didn’t notice, the TV announcers didn’t notice, and if any members of the media noticed, it got drowned out in the Harbaugh-Schwartz hubbub. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com appears to have been the first reporter to mention the issue; he was alerted to it by a fan on Twitter.

It took the 49ers eight plays to go 35 yards, and they eventually scored on a fourth-down pass from Alex Smith to Delanie Walker. Obviously, it’s entirely possible that they would have scored if they had needed to go 40 yards, too. But the Lions would have preferred not to give the 49ers a free five yards on a crucial drive.

The 49ers were called for 15 penalties on Sunday, and they were the ones doing most of the complaining about the officiating after the game, with receiver Michael Crabtree saying referee Mike Carey had an “attitude,” and cornerback Chris Culliver saying the officials were “Detroit fans.” But on balance the bad calls seem to have hurt the Lions more: There was also a questionable ruling that Matthew Stafford’s forward progress had stopped in the end zone on a safety, and a bad horse-collar tackle call against the Lions helped to set up a 49ers field goal.

Maybe instead of yelling at Harbaugh to learn the rules, Schwartz should have been yelling at Carey to learn the rules.


Dunno if this was posted yet, but there's gotta be some explanation for this somewhere?


You can make a real argument that the refs cost us this game--it was like a bad flashback to last year in that respect.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 18th, 2011, 11:53 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
thelomasbrowns wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:
Officials gave 49ers five free yards on game-winning drive
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
Justin Smith, Jahvid Best AP

The bad blood between Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz has so overshadowed Sunday’s 49ers-Lions game that we’ve barely even discussed what the players on the field for these two 5-1 teams did on Sunday.

Unfortunately, we’ve now got another controversy coming out of this game that has nothing to do with the players: At the start of the 49ers’ game-winning drive, they were given five free yards when the officials spotted the ball in the wrong place.

It all started with the Lions leading 19-14 and punting from their own 36-yard line with five and a half minutes left in the fourth quarter. San Francisco’s Ted Ginn fielded the punt at his own 25 and got off a good return, crossing midfield before getting pushed out of bounds at the Lions’ 40-yard line.

And then, when they came back from the commercial break, the officials spotted the ball at the Lions’ 35-yard line, putting the 49ers five yards closer to the goal line. There wasn’t a five-yard penalty, it was simply that the officials put the ball on the wrong yard line following the break in the action. The Lions didn’t notice, the TV announcers didn’t notice, and if any members of the media noticed, it got drowned out in the Harbaugh-Schwartz hubbub. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com appears to have been the first reporter to mention the issue; he was alerted to it by a fan on Twitter.

It took the 49ers eight plays to go 35 yards, and they eventually scored on a fourth-down pass from Alex Smith to Delanie Walker. Obviously, it’s entirely possible that they would have scored if they had needed to go 40 yards, too. But the Lions would have preferred not to give the 49ers a free five yards on a crucial drive.

The 49ers were called for 15 penalties on Sunday, and they were the ones doing most of the complaining about the officiating after the game, with receiver Michael Crabtree saying referee Mike Carey had an “attitude,” and cornerback Chris Culliver saying the officials were “Detroit fans.” But on balance the bad calls seem to have hurt the Lions more: There was also a questionable ruling that Matthew Stafford’s forward progress had stopped in the end zone on a safety, and a bad horse-collar tackle call against the Lions helped to set up a 49ers field goal.

Maybe instead of yelling at Harbaugh to learn the rules, Schwartz should have been yelling at Carey to learn the rules.


Dunno if this was posted yet, but there's gotta be some explanation for this somewhere?


You can make a real argument that the refs cost us this game--it was like a bad flashback to last year in that respect.

Sorry, but I disagree. Its not as if 1 or 2 plays/bad calls cost the game. The Lions need to be a good enough team where the occasional lapse, by player, coach or official, doesn't matter. They're on their way, but they're not there just yet.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 18th, 2011, 12:06 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2345
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
You can make a real argument that the refs cost us this game--it was like a bad flashback to last year in that respect.

Sorry, but I disagree. Its not as if 1 or 2 plays/bad calls cost the game. The Lions need to be a good enough team where the occasional lapse, by player, coach or official, doesn't matter. They're on their way, but they're not there just yet.


Look at the (admittedly theoretical) point differential on the Pettigrew chop block alone.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 18th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
You can make a real argument that the refs cost us this game--it was like a bad flashback to last year in that respect.

Sorry, but I disagree. Its not as if 1 or 2 plays/bad calls cost the game. The Lions need to be a good enough team where the occasional lapse, by player, coach or official, doesn't matter. They're on their way, but they're not there just yet.


Look at the (admittedly theoretical) point differential on the Pettigrew chop block alone.

Doesn't matter. There were plenty of other plays that should have been made, and if they had, the Pettigrew-play would not have mattered.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 18th, 2011, 12:43 pm
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10325
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
You can make a real argument that the refs cost us this game--it was like a bad flashback to last year in that respect.

Sorry, but I disagree. Its not as if 1 or 2 plays/bad calls cost the game. The Lions need to be a good enough team where the occasional lapse, by player, coach or official, doesn't matter. They're on their way, but they're not there just yet.


Look at the (admittedly theoretical) point differential on the Pettigrew chop block alone.

Doesn't matter. There were plenty of other plays that should have been made, and if they had, the Pettigrew-play would not have mattered.


Technically, one play was really the difference in the game. The Pett magical cut block put us on the outside edge of FG range (52 yards) rather than a 1st and goal at the 2. That was a difference of 3 points (taking the game into OT), or winning the game (Niners would have had to score twice at the end to win (more than the freebie FG that the Lions gave them).

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 18th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
conversion02 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
You can make a real argument that the refs cost us this game--it was like a bad flashback to last year in that respect.

Sorry, but I disagree. Its not as if 1 or 2 plays/bad calls cost the game. The Lions need to be a good enough team where the occasional lapse, by player, coach or official, doesn't matter. They're on their way, but they're not there just yet.


Look at the (admittedly theoretical) point differential on the Pettigrew chop block alone.

Doesn't matter. There were plenty of other plays that should have been made, and if they had, the Pettigrew-play would not have mattered.


Technically, one play was really the difference in the game. The Pett magical cut block put us on the outside edge of FG range (52 yards) rather than a 1st and goal at the 2. That was a difference of 3 points (taking the game into OT), or winning the game (Niners would have had to score twice at the end to win (more than the freebie FG that the Lions gave them).

Or, regardless of the circumstance, if Hanson would've made that FG (plenty of leg just off target), then its likely SF doesn't score before halftime, and we're still going into OT.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 18th, 2011, 1:11 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9941
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
woulda, shoulda, coulda

Lions lost a game. Let's move on......

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


October 18th, 2011, 1:37 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
m2karateman wrote:
woulda, shoulda, coulda

Lions lost a game. Let's move on......

yep

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 18th, 2011, 1:53 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9517
Location: Dallas
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
m2karateman wrote:
woulda, shoulda, coulda

Lions lost a game. Let's move on......


Bring on the Falcons!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 18th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. 49ers
Since I was going to discuss both teams I didn't want to start a new thread, and I believe some of what I wanted to say fell within the confines of this room anyway.

1st. Has anyone noticed that the Lions haven't gotten to the Qb like last year? They've created pressure but not sacks! I may be off on this but it seems to me, Suh alone was meeting at the QB more often, this year not so much.

2nd. I saw where a lions fan had claimed that Smith had a noodle arm, but let me ask if it really matters. If you throw the ball when it matters, i.e. the winning touchdown, does it matter that he can't throw the ball 60 yds? Stafford can throw 60 yds and he was wide right on Calvin. What Alex did was manage the game, not make any mistakes, and get the ball to the play maker who happend to be the RB's.

3rd. SF has shown what an almost complete team with a solid coach can do. Had we been able to shut down the run, and make them one dimentional, Mr. SMith would have been highlighted for his "noodle" arm. But it wasn't the case. Now we've illustrated via San Fran and others how to beat us.

4th. I'm not going to down play the Lions, because they've ignited hope in a city that didn't have any. They've generated life like rain to the desert, and that is awesome for Michigan, and great for Lions fans. I don't have answers on how to get more aggressive with the defense so that we can begin meeting at the QB, but we've got go along for the ride, hoping our brilliant coaching staff will get it figured out.

Finally, Congrats again to SF, you have a bright future in a weak division, and will only get stronger as the year goes on, barring injuries. It was great to see such a physical contest, that was like watching two heavy weights trade shots. We'll meet again, and well let's hope for another great game.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


October 18th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blueskies, Google [Bot], njroar and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.