View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Grade Stafford's performance for the year 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Grade Stafford's performance for the year
Blueskies wrote:
Stafford's stat line is a bit misleading because there were some bad throws that should've been picked and weren't simply because the 49ers defenders couldn't catch. One throw in particular, Stafford literally hit the 49er straight in the chest as if he was the intended receiver.

That said, the Lions have been built to rely on the QB position. If Stafford is not playing above average, they will probably not win. The running game is entirely dependent upon the passing game; the defense is good but not good enough to win games alone.

Good Lord, not this again. People used to pile on Harrington over dropped INTs. It is only an INT if the opponents makes the catch. Otherwise, it is incomplete and insignificant. We can't downgrade him b/c the opponent failed to capitalize on an opportunity.

I think what was exposed today was the OL. Linehan has been covering for the OL by using an extremely high number of shotgun snaps, playing lots of no huddle, and using 2 TEs to help keep an extra blocker on the edge. Today, there was no Scheffler. The OL lost a blocker and Stafford was feeling the pressure. Yes, he missed some throws but a lot of those were hurried by a very good SF pass rush--and an inadequate performance by the OL.

October 17th, 2011, 1:06 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

conversion02 wrote:
I disagree. Cj must be a factor, but he doesn't need 7 or 8 catches and multiple TDs. Stafford has to make throws, yes. He has to force feed cj a few. CJ had safety help quite a bit, most of the game in fact. Stafford has to find pett, Titus, Nate, best, etc and actually complete the damn passes. When CJs drawing an extra man, someone will be open, give the man some damn time to find the open guy and staff actually has to throw the ball on target, which he was severely lacking today.

be honest,.....Did you cry after the game?

October 17th, 2011, 1:11 am
League MVP

Quote:
Stafford's stat line is a bit misleading because there were some bad throws that should've been picked and weren't simply because the 49ers defenders couldn't catch. One throw in particular, Stafford literally hit the 49er straight in the chest as if he was the intended receiver.

That said, the Lions have been built to rely on the QB position. If Stafford is not playing above average, they will probably not win. The running game is entirely dependent upon the passing game; the defense is good but not good enough to win games alone.

thats hilarious - so the zero INT stat is misleading? bc the guy dropped the ball? Im going to disagree, had he caught it, it would have been an INT but seeing as how he dropped it it did not count as such. seems you are the one trying to be misleading here not the stat line.

call the identity whatever you want but your arguments contain circular logic that makes no sense. Your reasoning is apparently "We lost this past game bc the other team also had a good defense and our offense struggled means that that is our identity?" or "despite our defense playing well we lost so the offense is the identity" The struggling part of the team is the identity by your logic? Again its a matter of opinion so call it how you want it but the logic needs to be explained better. dont forget the 4 game winning streak last season that was started without Stafford and at times without Calvin, excluding that as a turning point for this team wont be accepted. i love stafford, think he s great, give him all the credit in the world (see my previous post) but this team learned to win in his absence and continues to do so despite him not playing his best

maybe alex smith is the identity of the niners bc he had to throw that td at the end to win the game ie there defense couldnt win it by themselves. you tell us.

October 17th, 2011, 1:59 am
Player of the Year - Defense

He had a terrible game. Its going to happen. And you can point to the stat line all you want, but the misses and overthrown balls came at important points in drives. A qb could go 3 for 20, but those 3 come on 3rd downs for first downs that lead to wins. A QB that goes 17/20, but those 3 incompletes end up being drive killers, and we lose, and it leads to a loss. Stats don't tell the whole story. He seemed off his game from the start. We've seem him start that way and then get into rhythm, but that rhythm never came Sunday. We could blame it on Stafford, we could blame it on playcalling, or we could give credit to the 49ers.

Even as bad as things went, we still had a chance at the end. That chance is something we haven't had in a long long time.

October 17th, 2011, 2:33 am
Hall of Fame Player

mwill2 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Good Lord, not this again. People used to pile on Harrington over dropped INTs. It is only an INT if the opponents makes the catch. Otherwise, it is incomplete and insignificant. We can't downgrade him b/c the opponent failed to capitalize on an opportunity.

I think what was exposed today was the OL. Linehan has been covering for the OL by using an extremely high number of shotgun snaps, playing lots of no huddle, and using 2 TEs to help keep an extra blocker on the edge. Today, there was no Scheffler. The OL lost a blocker and Stafford was feeling the pressure. Yes, he missed some throws but a lot of those were hurried by a very good SF pass rush--and an inadequate performance by the OL.

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!! You are 100% correct sir!!

The O-line failed to allow the rest of the offense to sustain MANY of our drives.

Honestly, there isn't another QB in the league that I'd take over Stafford right now. However there's probably 20 O-lines I'd trade ours for.

October 17th, 2011, 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I agree LF57. The niner's edge rusher's did their job, Stafford would've had better luck staying in the pocket. It's near impossible for tackles to protect him when he goes 12 yards deep. Logic tells me that it's on the offensive line, but they can't decide to run the ball, and they can't tell Stafford to stay in the pocket.

I think they will clean some things up, its never as bad as it seems.

Aaron Rodgers has 17 TD's
Tom Brady has 16 TD's
Matt Stafford has 15 TD's

.... Drew Brees has 13 TD's and they go down from there.

Everyone of these quarterbacks get hurried and get sacked. They all have off days. Aaron Rodgers only played good for one quarter this week.

I think our QB position is the absolute least of our worries. Seems like teams are watching the film, and taking away Staffords comfort zone's , the screen isn't working and they are playing alot of two safeties over the top. The biggest cure to those ailments is the run game.

They'll just have to get it going, one way or another.

October 17th, 2011, 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I don't think it's all on the line. I saw Stafford hold the ball way to long quite a few times. He also had horrible pocket presence which I thought was one of his strongest points so far this season. It honestly looked like Shaun Hill out there playing. Missing tons of throws, hitting the tight end 30 times for 18 yards.

We probably threw 5 passes that went beyond 10 yards it was a horrible gameplan and we need to expose deep stuff. We have Titus and Calvin who both are obvious deep threats and we don't even give them 1 shot?

Edit: I'm not bashing Stafford though, 1 off game in 5 games is nothing for me to be mad about. Every QB has it, even the best in the game. I just wish we saw more of a sense of urgency from him and everyone else.

October 17th, 2011, 9:15 am
RIP Killer

Bingo - hamma actually watched the game. WRs weren't getting open and when they were, missed throws. Check down, sack, poor throw, punt. Repeat a

October 17th, 2011, 9:17 am
Pro Bowl Player

conversion02 wrote:
Bingo - hamma actually watched the game. WRs weren't getting open and when they were, missed throws. Check down, sack, poor throw, punt. Repeat a

Yes, I was there and had a great seat, and could basically see what Stafford was seeing. The 49er's defense did a great job of taking away his cusion's. When a slant opened up Matt was hitting. But it was more about their defense than Stafford. I think the Lions will use what the 49er's did as a way to get better.

Unfortunately I saw Megatron call for the ball a couple of times. He got one on one coverage in more than one instance and Stafford either failed to see it, or was put on a leash and couldn't audible out of it.

Didn't look right during that game, maybe he was sick? IDK, but hope he get's past it.

October 17th, 2011, 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Our line might not be the best but watch other games and find a team that gives there QB time to throw...The NFL has freaks at DE/OLB now that can get to the passer in no time.

And don't bring up not being able to run, once again find a team that can run out of the shotgun every time. If we want to run we need to go to a style of offense like the 49ers that load up on the line and put people on people. Running with 3 WR's is not gonna happen.

October 17th, 2011, 9:23 am
3rd Round Selection

I'm very happy with Stafford as our QB. That said, I think there are a few things he could improve on. His accuracy being my main concern.

A better OL would definitely help, but I think his pocket presence could be better. The ability to 'feel' the rush, and take that one well timed step, whilst keeping concentration on receivers is something that comes with time and experience - and Stafford's still very early in his NFL career. Still, I think it is a side to his game he could do with developing.

But, as I said, overall very happy with his level of play so far this year. Plus, most importantly, the hits he's bounced back up from.

October 17th, 2011, 9:42 am
RIP Killer

hamma77 wrote:
I don't think it's all on the line. I saw Stafford hold the ball way to long quite a few times. He also had horrible pocket presence which I thought was one of his strongest points so far this season. It honestly looked like Shaun Hill out there playing. Missing tons of throws, hitting the tight end 30 times for 18 yards.

We probably threw 5 passes that went beyond 10 yards it was a horrible gameplan and we need to expose deep stuff. We have Titus and Calvin who both are obvious deep threats and we don't even give them 1 shot?

Edit: I'm not bashing Stafford though, 1 off game in 5 games is nothing for me to be mad about. Every QB has it, even the best in the game. I just wish we saw more of a sense of urgency from him and everyone else.

Problem is, this isn't the only time Stafford has been off his game. His first half against the Cowboys was terrible. You saw much of the same from him there. However, he did come out and have a tremendous second half in that game....but if you watch closely he was helped out by his receivers. Calving catching the ball in the endzone despite being triple covered? I know it's Calvin, but somebody else HAD to be open. And then the Cowboys choosing to single cover Calvin in the end zone at the end? Matt benefits from a questionable coaching decision there.

I'm not bashing Matt either. He's young, and he's going to have his inconsistencies. He's not on the same level as Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning when it comes to dealing with pressure. And unless the Lions take steps in addressing this offensive line, he's gonna have to learn to do that real quick.

At this point I would grade Stafford a solid B. There is a big difference with him in the game versus Hill or Stanton. If we could combine the best of the three QBs into one, we'd have a great player: Stafford's arm and vision, Hill's experience and Stantons legs.

October 17th, 2011, 9:42 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Overall, I think Stafford has played well this year, but yesterday wasn't one of his finest moments. I'm sure the 49er defense and the poor OL play had a lot to do with it, but some of it was purely on Stafford. Hopefully, he can bounce back with a strong game next week.

October 17th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Stat wise he is doing great and I agree with many of you that he will improve. Watching on TV made some of his hurries seem unnecessary but without being able to see what he saw it is hard to keep it in context. I'd really like to see less of a reliance on big plays and a move toward the ground game and controlling the clock/moving the chains. It's obviously tough to get that going against the Niners but I'd like to see us develop into more than just a one dimensional team as we will need it to beat some of the tougher tests on our schedule. Tough loss but I'd rather have lost to the niners than almost any other team on our schedule.

October 17th, 2011, 1:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Stafford had a bad game but to be fair, if we grade his play we should grade everyone's play since he's one of our best players and is here for the long-term. Let's grade the performances of guys that are playing for a job or may be a liability as in everyone on our O-line other than maybe Sims.

But I agree that the QB deserves alot of the blame for this loss. I thought we atleast had a fighting chance with over a minute left and the ball, but for what he did, we should've just downed the ball. We did'nt even appear to try after they scored

October 17th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next