View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Grade Stafford's performance for the year 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Grade Stafford's performance for the year
How many games has Stafford missed this year? For that and the 5-1 mark alone I'd give the guy a high B. Guys believe in him and that goes well beyond the stats.

Hey, I live in Dallas where the QB puts up some very nice stats as well but he cost his team wins.

Stafford accuracy has been much better than I thought it would be coming out of college. For a 23-year-old, so is his leadership and understanding of the offense.

There aren't many teams in the league I'd want to switch QBs with and I can't recall in all of my Lions 30+ years of fandom when I could say that.

October 18th, 2011, 11:04 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
How many games has Stafford missed this year? For that and the 5-1 mark alone I'd give the guy a high B. Guys believe in him and that goes well beyond the stats.

Hey, I live in Dallas where the QB puts up some very nice stats as well but he cost his team wins.

Stafford accuracy has been much better than I thought it would be coming out of college. For a 23-year-old, so is his leadership and understanding of the offense.

There aren't many teams in the league I'd want to switch QBs with and I can't recall in all of my Lions 30+ years of fandom when I could say that.

I don't think anyone wants a different QB, or is giving Stafford a failing grade. If someone is, they aren't paying attention.

He's had some accuracy issues, but only in a couple games. Also, if you look at some of the game film, there's been many more instances where his passes were thrown with uncanny accuracy. Yes, the receivers have helped him out in some situations, but that's their job. Stafford is as much responsible for this team being 5-1 as any other person involved in the franchise, including Mayhew and Schwartz.

October 18th, 2011, 1:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm just glad we can sit here and criticise his performance rather than speculate on how we'd be doing if he was in the game.

October 18th, 2011, 3:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
October 20. 2011 1:00AM.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is ready to bounce back

Chris McCosky/ The Detroit News

Allen Park— The last time Matthew Stafford looked as forlorn and defeated on the sidelines as he did late in the loss to the 49ers last weekend, it was opening day last season, and he had his right arm in a sling.

"Obviously it's frustrating any time you lose," Stafford said on Wednesday. "But the guys came back and had a good practice today. We've bounced back from it."

Apparently, Stafford bounced back from what might have been the worst outing of his short career long before Wednesday's practice.

"He had us all over for dinner Monday night; he was fine," center Dominic Raiola said. "It was just one of those games. Realistically, this is his first full year starting and playing a string of games in a row. His rookie year was tough and then he got hurt in the first game last year and was never able to get going.

"Right now, he's just kind of getting into his groove. You are going to have speed bumps. We all have bad games. We all did. And we still could have won the game."

Raiola actually was amused by the topic of bouncing back.

"A loss opens everybody's eyes, I guess," he said. "But it's pretty crazy talking about bouncing back. It was one loss. We are 5-1. But that's how it is around here now. The urgency is awesome."

Stafford was chased and harassed and hit throughout the game by the relentless pursuit of the 49ers defense. According to ProFootballFocus.com, he was under pressure on 35.7 percent of his pass attempts. He was sacked five times, once for a safety, and hit 10 times.

Even when he wasn't under pressure, he still felt the heat. He bailed out of the pocket too early at times and grounded the ball too quickly at times. He never did figure out how the 49ers were disguising coverages.

"As an offense, we couldn't get a whole lot going," said Stafford, whose 86.5 rating was his lowest this season. "They did a great job. They had a great plan and they executed it well. They played better than we did and they got the win for it."

Stafford, though, dismissed the notion the game sped up on him.

"I don't think I got quick," he said. "Every game there are plays that get left out there. There were chances to make plays all over the field and we just didn't make them."

Even though the Falcons deploy a different defensive alignment — a 4-3 as opposed to the 49ers' 3-4 — it's a pretty safe bet they will be using the 49ers' game plan Sunday as a blueprint for how to disrupt a dangerous Lions passing attack, right?

"I don't know about that," receiver Nate Burleson said. "Some teams are stubborn with their design and they stick to what they do best. From what we've seen on film, they've been pretty consistent. At the same time, they might look at the 49ers film and feel like it's a formula to beat the Detroit Lions. We will be prepared for both man and zone defense so we won't be surprised."

The 49ers, for the most part, used six defenders in the box and dared the Lions to run. When it was obvious the Lions couldn't, that's when they were able to get after Stafford.

Why wouldn't the Falcons do the same, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Jahvid Best and his concussion issues?

"When you are in your weekly preparation, you always watch how other teams have tried to attack your opponent," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "When it's the first four or five games, you really emphasize that because that's where you do most of your analysis. That's just the way it works. You are always looking for ways to attack your opponent."

Like the Lions, the Falcons can put significant pressure on a quarterback with just four down linemen. They have 11 sacks, all by defensive linemen, led by ends Ray Edwards and John Abraham.

"We've got faith in our running backs," Burleson said. "But more importantly, it's about getting a rhythm in the passing game. That is our strength."

So, as always, it gets back to Stafford. Going back to his days at Georgia, he's rarely heard his coach describe his performance as, "not one of his best games," as Jim Schwartz called it Monday.

He's rarely had to bounce back from anything other than injury. So how has he handled it?

"He's got to do exactly what he did today," Burleson said. "He came out to practice today and whipped the ball around with great speed, crisp. He's ready to rock. For us, as an offense, we need to find our rhythm early in the game.

"I relate our offense to a really good shooting guard. When you can get the ball in the hoop early, that rhythm will carry you through four quarters. For us, we need to get the ball into our playmakers' hands early, move the chains, get that adrenaline going and continue it through four quarters."

Of course, it could just be as simple as doing a reverse Samson. Stafford said he wouldn't cut his hair until the team lost a game. He and his barber have an appointment for this week.

Falcons at Lions

Kickoff: 1 p.m. Sunday, Ford Field, Detroit

TV/radio: Fox/97.1

Records: Atlanta 3-3, Detroit 5-1

Line: Lions by 31/2

Series: Detroit leads 23-10 (Atlanta 34-21, Sept. 7, 2008)

Did you know?: The Falcons are one of four teams in the NFC the Lions have a winning record against (Cardinals, Giants and Buccaneers are the others).

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111020/SPO ... z1bKV9Qr93

I think this article says a lot. One of the things that stands out to me is... "he was under pressure on 35.7 percent of his pass attempts. He was sacked five times, once for a safety, and hit 10 times."

I think a small improvement in the O-Line would have a huge impact on those numbers! Not to mention the running game.

October 20th, 2011, 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Matt could do better. They all could do better.

Q: What's better than a "A+"?
A: Better than a A+.

So i'll say his performance is an "S".
S is for starving.

Eat until you're satisfied Stafford

.........................................................win.................................................................

October 20th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

WifeofLionofDetroit wrote:
Matt could do better. They all could do better.

Q: What's better than a "A+"?
A: Better than a A+.

So i'll say his performance is an "S".
S is for starving.

Eat until you're satisfied Stafford

.........................................................win.................................................................

Do we have another "MsELR"?

That TE we used to have Ricks was it? His mom was MsELR.

Which Lions Player are you married to? And BTW, welcome to Lionbacker. We look forward to any little tidbits you can drop here.

October 22nd, 2011, 10:14 am
Junior Varsity

I'd say this is yet another game where he displayed some poor accuracy, and an overall lack of enthusiasm. I know I'll take some heat for this comment, but anybody watching the game, seeing his body language can clearly see he doesn't have the spark he had in the first few weeks.

October 23rd, 2011, 4:27 pm
RIP Killer

Another C- effort...that's 2 in a row. Luckily Denver is awful and the D might be able to win them that game, because this offense is garbage

October 23rd, 2011, 4:29 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I really can't blame Stafford. He could've played better to be sure, but his offensive line is terrible. Really, probably bottom third of the league.

I think Linehan's play calling has disguised just how bad this line really is.

October 23rd, 2011, 4:30 pm

Blueskies wrote:
I really can't blame Stafford. He could've played better to be sure, but his offensive line is terrible. Really, probably bottom third of the league.

The line is atleast bottom 5. At this point, none of them has earned a spot on the team next year. But Matt Stafford sucked a little worse IMO. The O-line sucked early and Stafford sucked late

October 23rd, 2011, 4:39 pm
3rd Round Selection

Blueskies wrote:

Really? Cause I think Linehan's play calling has had a very large part in costing us two games. Just how many times must you fail running on 1st down before you realize we can't freakin run on first down? How many times are you going to sit there and call screen after screen when Matt's screen game is off? If he isn't hitting them....TRY SOMETHING ELSE. What ever happened to the quick passes? The slants? We seem to hit em just about every time we call em but for whatever reason we decide to run the ball and throw screen after screen when Matt is whiffing on the screen passes time and time again. It's frustrating...alter your playcalling to fit the play of our guys...don't try and force your gameplan...at times it feels like I'm watching Martz call plays again, Linehan has no ability to make adjustments.

And another thing...we have without a doubt the best jump ball WR in the game and in the past two weeks I've seen us refuse to throw the jump ball to CJ in the redzone multiple times instead trying to force it to Pett...who's dropped em more than once, or throw it up to Nate or Titus...wtf? You should NEVER be throwing it up for Nate or Titus...it's sickening. It's not that difficult...in the redzone? Fade to CJ....TD...rinse...lather....repeat..are you going to get em all? No, but I guarantee you your going to have a higher success rate than trying to force it to Pett or throw it up for Nate or Titus.

October 24th, 2011, 3:21 am

I'm beginning to think there's something to the 'Stafford hurt' rumor that began after the SF game (yes, I know he was actually hurt yesterday). I just don't know how the throws would be so off after being so on for most of his pro career. It also might explain his attitude--maybe that's the sign of somebody toughing it out against his will.

October 24th, 2011, 9:22 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:

Couldn't disagree with this post more if I tried.

Linehan's playcalling is TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.

The Lions rushed Mo Morris 9 times and Keiland 9 times in the Atlanta game. They accounted for nearly 100 yards rushing. Why were they not used more?

It seems to me that suddenly the Lions offense went from being an aggressive, downfield team (weeks one through five-all wins) to being a meek, short passing team the last two weeks (both losses). I attribute that regression to the playcalling first, and the QB playing scared second. It doesn't fall on the offensive line.

San Francisco and Atlanta didn't make an active attempt to shut down our running game. But at the same time, they weren't dropping everyone into coverage either. They were practically daring the Lions to throw the ball, and Stafford didn't respond to the challenge. In weeks one through five he experienced just as much pressure, and responded. These last two weeks he's collapsed, and seems to be playing scared. The Lions offense is supposed to use the pass to set up the rushing game. If Stafford isn't throwing the ball well, the rushing game is shut down automatically. Teams won't even have to defend the pass at that point.

I'll admit, I want our offensive line upgraded, and I mean in a hurry. I wouldn't mind the Lions taking a hard look at Leonard Davis, because Peterman flat out sucks. But they haven't regressed in weeks six and seven....that's been Stafford. Linehan? I've never particularly been a big fan of his playcalling or his scheme. I don't think he creates matchups well with his pre-snap movements, and I think he lacks imagination in his calls. It wouldn't bother me one bit if the Lions decided to get rid of him in favor of someone who is more imaginative and aggressive. But Stafford hasn't been the same QB the last two weeks. If you can't see that, you've got some real eyesight issues.

Also, something I noticed....why does Stafford still take a five step drop when he's in the shotgun? I've noticed him do that on a number of plays. What he is doing is making it more difficult for the offensive tackles to simply let the DE go wide and take himself out of the play. Now the DEs have an easier time pressuring him when he takes that deeper drop, and it takes that much longer for the ball to get to his receiver. If he's in the shotgun, he should take no more than a two or three step drop, if even that.

October 24th, 2011, 11:11 am
Pro Bowl Player

m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Couldn't disagree with this post more if I tried.

Linehan's playcalling is TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.

The Lions rushed Mo Morris 9 times and Keiland 9 times in the Atlanta game. They accounted for nearly 100 yards rushing. Why were they not used more?

It seems to me that suddenly the Lions offense went from being an aggressive, downfield team (weeks one through five-all wins) to being a meek, short passing team the last two weeks (both losses). I attribute that regression to the playcalling first, and the QB playing scared second. It doesn't fall on the offensive line.

San Francisco and Atlanta didn't make an active attempt to shut down our running game. But at the same time, they weren't dropping everyone into coverage either. They were practically daring the Lions to throw the ball, and Stafford didn't respond to the challenge. In weeks one through five he experienced just as much pressure, and responded. These last two weeks he's collapsed, and seems to be playing scared. The Lions offense is supposed to use the pass to set up the rushing game. If Stafford isn't throwing the ball well, the rushing game is shut down automatically. Teams won't even have to defend the pass at that point.

I'll admit, I want our offensive line upgraded, and I mean in a hurry. I wouldn't mind the Lions taking a hard look at Leonard Davis, because Peterman flat out sucks. But they haven't regressed in weeks six and seven....that's been Stafford. Linehan? I've never particularly been a big fan of his playcalling or his scheme. I don't think he creates matchups well with his pre-snap movements, and I think he lacks imagination in his calls. It wouldn't bother me one bit if the Lions decided to get rid of him in favor of someone who is more imaginative and aggressive. But Stafford hasn't been the same QB the last two weeks. If you can't see that, you've got some real eyesight issues.

Also, something I noticed....why does Stafford still take a five step drop when he's in the shotgun? I've noticed him do that on a number of plays. What he is doing is making it more difficult for the offensive tackles to simply let the DE go wide and take himself out of the play. Now the DEs have an easier time pressuring him when he takes that deeper drop, and it takes that much longer for the ball to get to his receiver. If he's in the shotgun, he should take no more than a two or three step drop, if even that.

First, I agree that we should have ran the ball more. Second, Im guessing that even though it's not on the injury report something is wrong with Stafford. IDK what it is, but while he isn't losing games for us, he isn't exactly winning them either. Hope it get's better soon. While we are still in the lead for a wild card spot. cuz now there are three 4-3 teams on our heals.

Panic no, worry YES.

October 24th, 2011, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

October 24th, 2011, 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next