View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Grade Stafford's performance for the year 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Grade Stafford's performance for the year
Like others, I've also been disappointed in Stafford's play the past two weeks. It's almost as if he's playing scared back there. He's throwing too many passes sidearm, and it appears that he's hurrying some of his throws when he doesn't need to. I don't know exactly what it is, but they need to get it fixed fast.

October 25th, 2011, 9:30 am
RIP Killer

Shhhhh! Don't say he's plaing scared sly! I said that last week and was told I was I didn't watch the games.

October 25th, 2011, 7:29 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Did you guys watch MNF? Stafford looks like a HoFer compared to Flacco and Gabbert.

October 25th, 2011, 11:48 pm
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:
Like others, I've also been disappointed in Stafford's play the past two weeks. It's almost as if he's playing scared back there. He's throwing too many passes sidearm, and it appears that he's hurrying some of his throws when he doesn't need to. I don't know exactly what it is, but they need to get it fixed fast.

Yup!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 26th, 2011, 7:50 am
QB Coach

kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Yup!

In my opinion, I think it has to do with how the game starts. In the first 5 games, Stafford was hardly being hit at all, and was able to get into a pretty good rhythm and (I assume) felt good in the pocket. Contrast that with this past week. He was sacked on 2 of his first 3 passes. I know I've heard former coaches and QBs say over and over that it is really hard to play well when the QB doesn't have a chance to get a good rhythm going.

That's not to make an excuse. A great player finds a way. But, the situation and the sacks & hits aren't making it any easier on him.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

October 26th, 2011, 8:44 am

conversion02 wrote:
Shhhhh! Don't say he's plaing scared sly! I said that last week and was told I was I didn't watch the games.

As if I care what other people say about me. :lol:

October 26th, 2011, 10:54 am

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
In my opinion, I think it has to do with how the game starts. In the first 5 games, Stafford was hardly being hit at all, and was able to get into a pretty good rhythm and (I assume) felt good in the pocket. Contrast that with this past week. He was sacked on 2 of his first 3 passes. I know I've heard former coaches and QBs say over and over that it is really hard to play well when the QB doesn't have a chance to get a good rhythm going.

That's not to make an excuse. A great player finds a way. But, the situation and the sacks & hits aren't making it any easier on him.

I think you're on to something there, TDJ. After those first two sacks, Stafford appeared rattled and seemed to rush several of his throws. I don't know if that's a direct result of the first two sacks, but it's as good of an explanation as any others I've heard.

October 26th, 2011, 10:59 am
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I think you're on to something there, TDJ. After those first two sacks, Stafford appeared rattled and seemed to rush several of his throws. I don't know if that's a direct result of the first two sacks, but it's as good of an explanation as any others I've heard.

Well look at Jay Cutler, same thing happening to him. Fortunately for them though they have one hell of a running game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 26th, 2011, 3:01 pm
QB Coach

kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

Well look at Jay Cutler, same thing happening to him. Fortunately for them though they have one hell of a running game.

Exactly. Think back to the MNF game. Pretty much everyone was commenting about how great a game Cutler played considering how much pressure he was under. That shows how difficult it is for a QB to play well when being chased from the pocket continuously.

I think what the Lions have in Stafford is a guy who is great when he's on. But when he's off, he's just average and will make some throws that really have you scratching/shaking your head.

LET'S GO DUKE!

October 26th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Modmin Dude

Quote:
I think what the Lions have in Stafford is a guy who is great when he's on. But when he's off, he's just average and will make some throws that really have you scratching/shaking your head.

My question is how does anyone know what Stafford is or isn't? He just started his 20th game; IMO he is still trying to figure out who he is, let alone anyone else doing it.

October 26th, 2011, 3:32 pm
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:

My question is how does anyone know what Stafford is or isn't? He just started his 20th game; IMO he is still trying to figure out who he is, let alone anyone else doing it.

Very true. I base my assessment on his college and pro performance. I have a friend who is from Georgia and watches every Georgia game, and when the Lions drafted Stafford, he said: Stafford is a good QB and will definitely win a lot of games. But he will also have games where you just wonder what the hell happened to him. So far, that has definitely played out in the pros.

My guess is that he'll never be as consistent as Brady, but will be more like Favre in the sense that he'll be very very good (maybe great), but will also have some bad games. All in all, I'll take it. I think he's the right guy for the team and I'm glad he's a Lion.

LET'S GO DUKE!

October 26th, 2011, 3:38 pm
RIP Killer

OK, if we are going to really grade Staff on the year so far lets do this on a curve.

Passer Rating = 6th in the league
Passing TDs = 3rd (tied with Brady)
INTs = 4th (lowest for QBs with 100 or more attempts)
Passing yards = 6th

This is a Lions QB we are talking about right? On with a questionable OL and minimal running game to speak of? Then again, he does have Megatron.

Easy "A" from me...with room for improvement

October 26th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
OK, if we are going to really grade Staff on the year so far lets do this on a curve.

Passer Rating = 6th in the league
Passing TDs = 3rd (tied with Brady)
INTs = 4th (lowest for QBs with 100 or more attempts)
Passing yards = 6th

This is a Lions QB we are talking about right? On with a questionable OL and minimal running game
to speak of? Then again, he does have Megatron.

Easy "A" from me...with room for improvement

Pablo, Thank you for being the voice of reason! :thumbsup:

October 26th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

When the Lions drafted Stafford I said it then and I'll say it again, he is more like Aikman than Favre, Brady, or Manning. With that said he is going to need a consistant running game and a good O-line not just and okay at times O-line. If you were to just put up Aikman's numbers you wouldn't be overly impressed but what he was able to do was move the chains and get points on the board and that's what Stafford is as a QB. Unfortunately he has to throw the ball a lot more right now than Aikman ever had to throw.

I haven't gone back to tlook but how many first down conversions this season have been nullified by penalties? I know of at least a couple in these last two games that were costly. Stafford isn't the most accurate QB ever and neither was Aikman, but watch some of his bad throws. It looks like for every "what was that", there is a pass that looks bad but it's actually a pass where he's trying to throw his guy open and the receiver just never gets seperation. What I can't excuse are the happy feet, eventhough Raiola gets pushed back so far there isn't a pocket to step up into. Which is why I think you see him take a couple steps back even when he'sin the shotgun.

Which now has me asking why is Linehan running so many shotgun plays, especially those delayed handoffs out of the shotgun. Stafford is a very good playaction QB and in my opinion it would serve well to go to that even with an inconsistant running game. Let's incorporate more inside running plays that start with Stafford under C even if they do only gain a couple of yards to get those LBs and Ss thinking run. At some point either a big run is going to break and/or one or two defenders are going to bite when it'splayaction and something downfield is going to be open.

Stafford has been better than I thought he would be at this point but he'sgoing to need to have a more balanced offense around him. As much as some might want him to be Brady or Rodgers, he just isn't. Get him a consistant running game that allows him to only have to put it up around 400 times a year instead of the 600+ he's on pace for now. If LeShoure can come back healthy the Lions still need to draft another RB even if it's in the 2nd round to be safe, just in case he doesn't. Best is a great player but he might be done and is better in a Reggie Bush type role. Sorry about getting offtopic a little but Stafford isn't going to single handedly make Detroit a Super Bowl team. He will make them better and he has already moved them in that direction. Unfortunately for him the Lions started 5-0 and now masses have overdosed on Kool-Aid and want a Super Bowl win this season.

October 27th, 2011, 6:33 am
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford critcized by former NFL QB Kurt Warner
Published: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 8:00 AM Updated: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 9:39 AM
By Anwar Richardson

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was criticized by former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner for his inability to make short throws.
During an interview by Kara Henderson on the NFL Network, Warner was asked why Detroit's offense has declined. Warner pointed the finger at Stafford, blaming his inability to make underneath throws as the reason for Detroit's offensive struggles.

Here is what Warner said:

Kurt Warner wrote:
"I'm not so sure, Kara, the offense is declining, but I think people have figured out the flaw of this football team. If you look at them over the course of the first five weeks, this is a team that is built on the big play. It's built on the big arm of Matthew Stafford. It's built on throwing that ball up and letting Calvin Johnson go get it. Now teams are forcing them to be more consistent, forcing Matthew Stafford to make the consistent underneath throws, and that's where he has struggled up to this point. You see over the last few weeks his completion percentage has gone way down. He struggles a little bit when he has to make the 10, 12-play drive, and the consistent throws time and time again. I don't know if they've digressed. I just think people are starting to figure them out, forcing them to do something they don't want to do."

Warner was also asked how Stafford could bounce back. Once again, Warner reiterated Stafford needed to improve his short throws:

Kurt Warner wrote:
"I think he just has to be more consistent underneath. The only way those big throws are going to continue to come is if he can force teams to attack him, to come up the field, to take away the underneath stuff. Then they can use the double moves. Then they can use the big throws down the field to Calvin Johnson, but if they can't do that, and they continue to struggle with that, I think they are going to struggle to get back on track and score a lot of points."

As you guys know, I'm new on the job, so give me your feedback. Do you agree with Warner?

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ive.com%29

October 27th, 2011, 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next