View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Grade Stafford's performance for the year 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Grade Stafford's performance for the year
Freep wrote:
Analyst: Pressure hindering Lions QB Matthew Stafford's production
12:51 AM, Oct. 27, 2011
BY DAVE BIRKETT

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has thrown for progressively fewer yards and had a progressively lower passer rating three of the past four weeks, culminating with Sunday's underwhelming 15-for-32, 183-yard showing against the Atlanta Falcons.

But Fox analyst John Lynch, who'll broadcast Sunday's game against the Broncos alongside Dick Stockton, said there's a different explanation.

John Lynch wrote:
"Stafford's been through some adversity," Lynch said. "I remember early in the year, I think we had them Week 3 (against the Vikings), and he hadn't been sacked (going into that game). I think he was the one quarterback in the league who hadn't been sacked, but it wasn't for lack of being pressured. He was being pressured quite a bit, and he was doing a terrific job of getting the ball out of his hands.

"But now I think -- and it happens to Tom Brady, I watched the Lions do it to him in the preseason -- when you get pressured, when you get hit, you don't know when's the breaking point, but at some point it's going to start having an effect. And I think that's what you're seeing with him as a quarterback. It affects his accuracy, it affects everything."

Stafford has been sacked eight times and completed barely 50% of his passes (43 of 82) during a two-game losing streak, and even when he's not getting sacked, he has been under steady pressure.

Stafford suffered a sprained right ankle rolling out on the final offensive play of last week's loss to the Falcons and was limited in practice Wednesday. Neither he nor coach Jim Schwartz would commit to his availability Sunday against a Broncos team that has nine sacks in its past two games.

John Lynch wrote:
"When people say what's wrong with him, I don't think anything's wrong with him," Lynch said. "I think (the Lions have to) get back to spreading the football a little bit and throwing to Calvin (Johnson) and get their shots, but really get the ball out of his hands quickly and just keeping him upright and protected.

"Everybody's concern with him is always can he stay healthy, but it's more than just staying healthy. It's how effective you can be as a quarterback. I think those things are critical."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111027/S ... production

October 27th, 2011, 9:40 am
RIP Killer

Interesting.....

Kurt Warner, a former QB who may make it into the HOF, says Stafford needs to improve his game. Not the offensive line.

Jon Lynch, a former defensive back, feels that the playcalling has to change. No criticism of the offensive line.

Geez.....but according to one particular poster on here, who continues to post the stats of the first five games pressures, hits and sacks versus the last two games....that CAN'T be the cause. It MUST be the offensive line.

Well, I guess that particular poster is much, much smarter than former NFL players.

October 27th, 2011, 10:49 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

While I dont think any of this last post needs to be said m2k (why keep it going personal), I agreed with your take on it before, and it is pretty obvious the analysts that have experience see it that way as well.

October 27th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I think Warner is wrong when he says Stafford struggles when it'sa ten or twelve play drive. I think he's acyually a little better because he gets in a groove. To go back to my earlier post the difference is that it can't be drives where he's throwing ten or more times on those drives. You go back and watch those games Stafford looksgood when he has a good rhythm going. I'll also reiterate that he's not going to be Brady, Rodgers, or Manning. He's going to be more like Aikman at the end of the day, but he needs to have a consistant running game so he can keep his attempts around 400 a season.

October 28th, 2011, 6:25 am
Team MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
I think Warner is wrong when he says Stafford struggles when it'sa ten or twelve play drive. I think he's acyually a little better because he gets in a groove. To go back to my earlier post the difference is that it can't be drives where he's throwing ten or more times on those drives. You go back and watch those games Stafford looksgood when he has a good rhythm going. I'll also reiterate that he's not going to be Brady, Rodgers, or Manning. He's going to be more like Aikman at the end of the day, but he needs to have a consistant running game so he can keep his attempts around 400 a season.

Never helps either when he gets into a groove, and one play later...."Holding, offense, #77....10 yard penalty." Seems like it just kills every drive.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 28th, 2011, 10:54 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

While it's easy to blame the QB and I'm guilty of it myself, there's plenty of blame to go around for the passing game struggles. The offensive line has played below average and definitely contributes to this. Blame can also be placed on the WRs and TEs for dropped passes and running the wrong routes. Playcalling can also be called into question. It's a total team effort (or lack thereof) which has contributed to the mess over the past few weeks, not the fault of any individual player or coach.

October 28th, 2011, 11:10 am
Modmin Dude

slybri19 wrote:
It's a total team effort (or lack thereof) which has contributed to the mess over the past few weeks, not the fault of any individual player or coach.

Agreed. Let's hope they pull their heads out of their collective arses this week.

October 28th, 2011, 11:40 am
Junior Varsity

Another turd of a game Staffrord turned in today. What the heck is gong on with him?

November 13th, 2011, 10:39 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Not sure what's wrong with him but I will say that it looks like it's between his ears. He looks out of it on the first snap of the game.

November 13th, 2011, 10:52 pm
League MVP

he looked sharp to start the game, maybe you should watch - you wouldve seen two fumbles by wr s...btw stafford played w a broken finger in his throwing hand

November 13th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Div 1 - Starter

If the broken finger was on his throwing hand, I don't understand why they would have him play. It's not as though Shawn Hill is total chopped liver.

November 14th, 2011, 12:05 am
Varsity Captain

flat footed.. off his back foot... under throwing behind guys all day... with a glove on... nuff said. terrible. what a joke.
after a bye week, playing a team that won after mnf.
gross... he should have been benched.. pew :x

November 14th, 2011, 2:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

He's pretty much in his sophomore slump. I hope he pulls out of it soon. I have no doubt that he can be a top 10 QB in this league. But, it is painfully obvious that he is experiencing growing pains.

November 14th, 2011, 10:29 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Legend wrote:
he looked sharp to start the game, maybe you should watch - you wouldve seen two fumbles by wr s...btw stafford played w a broken finger in his throwing hand

I did watch and I saw his footwork look like crap.....again. I saw two complete passes that were fumbled by the receivers. Are you saying 2 complete passes makes him sharp? Maybe you should watch. He looked off from the first snap of the game. If you think he looked anything like he did snap one, game one of this year you're sadly mistaken. He was sharp then. He hasn't looked sharp in 3 weeks. I know he has a broken finger on his throwing hand which makes me question Schwartz. They had 2 weeks to get Hill on point. I think Schwartz has his cart too firmly hitched to the wrong horse at times. Stafford looks a little too comfortable with his starting status to me. I kinda liked the Scotty Bowman approach to coaching. Everyone should be a little uncomfortable.

November 14th, 2011, 9:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

we are over analyzing the crap out of a bad game. i think we should keep in mind that the whole team was clearly rusty from the bye and the man was playing with a fractured finger on his throwing hand into significant wind. i agree he totally sucked in CHI. Now get over it

November 14th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next