View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Best suffers 2nd concussion this year, Stafford injured? 
Walk On

Post Best suffers 2nd concussion this year, Stafford injured?
http://www.lionsgab.com/2011/10/17/jahv ... -hurt-too/

This would be horrible, our weakest position depth-wise (sans OL) and the most important position on the field. Let's hope all is well, this will severely hurt our chances this year

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

October 18th, 2011, 10:08 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Best suffers 2nd concussion this year, Stafford injured?
Stafford's not hurt. He just didn't play well. Nobody on offense played well vs. SF.

October 18th, 2011, 10:15 am
Walk On

mwill2 wrote:
Stafford's not hurt. He just didn't play well. Nobody on offense played well vs. SF.

I should have noted that Staffords injury was speculation. It could have just been a stinger, if anything. JS would have yanked him if there was a serious injury

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

October 18th, 2011, 10:18 am
Varsity Captain

I had also noticed what the author of the article was saying about Stafford. No attempts down field, throwing side armed throughout the 4th quarter, the intentional grounding rather than use his arm and throw it out of bounds down field. He looked like a deer in the headlights, his face showed a lack of confidence instead of his confident if not almost cocky demeanor. I realize he was under a lot of heat throughout the game, but he has dealt with that heat before. I hope to god that Matt isn't hurt, but there was substance to the authors speculation.

:cheers: Here is to a healthy Matt :cheers:

October 18th, 2011, 4:17 pm
Profile YIM
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I hate this article because it completely disrespects San Francisco's defense, suggesting that all this bad stuff could only be explained by a Stafford injury. Stafford looked shaky because of what SF did, not because of some phantom injury. I'll happily eat crow on this if he ends up missing the game this weekend.

October 18th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Regarding Stafford- I didn't see the second half of the game so I don't know how he was throwing late in the game, I have read some speculation on the internet about Stafford possibly tweaking his shoulder. Did anyone that watched the second half notice anything?

October 18th, 2011, 5:05 pm
Varsity Captain

I mentioned this in the chat, after being sacked Matt got up and started limping and motioning to the sideline. He went right on playing so I don't if it was anything or not.

October 18th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

When did Glenn Beck become a Lions fan?

October 18th, 2011, 6:14 pm
RIP Killer

Taug107 wrote:
Regarding Stafford- I didn't see the second half of the game so I don't know how he was throwing late in the game, I have read some speculation on the internet about Stafford possibly tweaking his shoulder. Did anyone that watched the second half notice anything?

I noticed him shrugging his shoulder quite a bit in the 2nd half. He didn't look in pain or anything and didn't see any throwing issues.

October 18th, 2011, 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Taug107 wrote:

I saw one tackle where Stafford landed on his shoulder and he reach for it, but then he got up. That was late into the second half, so it doesn't explain the side arm throws or lack of down field passes.

October 18th, 2011, 7:31 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Taug107 wrote:

I saw one tackle where Stafford landed on his shoulder and he reach for it, but then he got up. That was late into the second half, so it doesn't explain the side arm throws or lack of down field passes.

Maybe it does explain the side arm throws etc. shoulder could of become sore. We will find out on Sunday..hope he's firing with zip on target.

October 20th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Heisman Winner

Stafford has always used side arm throws, it's not his normal motion but he uses it from time to time. He even threw a touchdown or 2 already this year throwing side armed.

October 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm
Veteran General Manager

Pat Kirwan mentioned something the other day that makes sense.

Stafford has never been through the whole year of an NFL grind before. He may be just wearing down like a rookie would at this point in the season.

October 22nd, 2011, 10:04 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Pat Kirwan mentioned something the other day that makes sense.

Stafford has never been through the whole year of an NFL grind before. He may be just wearing down like a rookie would at this point in the season.

After just six games? I highly doubt it. He was used to playing double that at Georgia.

If nothing else, I think it's more of a psychological thing. Matt realizes he will have to be the one to take this team down the field, without the luxury of a running game. CJ, Pettigrew, Nate, Scheffler and Titus all rely on Matt to get them the ball. It all starts and ends with him. That's a whole helluvalot of pressure for a 23 year old kid who is basically still learning the game and getting used to reading defenses and trying to avoid the constant pass pressure he's been seeing.

Linehan better figure out how to plan a running game into this offense. He's as much to blame for a lack of a running game as the offensive line is. There are other teams who are having all sorts of trouble with their blocking, and don't have premier running backs, but are still able to successfully run the ball....and it comes down to the plays and the playcalling they are able to do. Linehan needs to get it figured out. He's looking like Mike Martz-lite.

October 22nd, 2011, 12:55 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
Linehan better figure out how to plan a running game into this offense. He's as much to blame for a lack of a running game as the offensive line is. There are other teams who are having all sorts of trouble with their blocking, and don't have premier running backs, but are still able to successfully run the ball....and it comes down to the plays and the playcalling they are able to do. Linehan needs to get it figured out. He's looking like Mike Martz-lite.

Really couldn't disagree more.

If anything, Linehan should be praised that the offense is doing so well in the passing game given that they have absolutely no threat of a running game at all. Can you please list off a few teams with less running talent than the Lions who are able to "successfully run the ball?" I challenge you on this, because I don't think there are any.

Gosder is terrible. Peterman is terrible. Raiola is very good at calling plays/identifying schemes and whatnot, but is undersized. Sims is alright, as is Backus. Scheffler is a pass catcher first and foremost, while Pettigrew has decent blocking skills.

Best is the equivalent of Reggie Bush and the Lions have no one else to run the ball. Mo Morris probably wouldn't make any other NFL roster--the Lions bring him back simply due to his familiarity with the playbook.

You could argue that he should try to run the ball more, but the offense would probably regress. If you have the tools for an A+ passing game but only have the talent for a D running game, what are you going to go to more often?

I remember the criticisms of Martz back in 2007. "Run the ball more!" people would say. Then he got fired and the 2008 debacle happened.

Martz isn't stupid; neither is Lienhan. They don't run the ball because they can't. These coaches want to win. They don't have any bias towards any particular type of play calling. They just want to win. They throw more because they believe it gives them the best chance of winning. With the Lions that is the case.

October 22nd, 2011, 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next