View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 3:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Best advised to end his year 
Water Boy

Post Best advised to end his year
http://www.freep.com/article/20111020/S ... g-his-year

terrible news.

October 20th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Best advised to end his year
CBS Sports is reporting the same.

We could be really screwed here. Can we still sign FAs to the practice squad?
I'm pretty sure Tristan Davis is available and there has to be others.

October 20th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Boz wrote:
CBS Sports is reporting the same.

We could be really screwed here. Can we still sign FAs to the practice squad?
I'm pretty sure Tristan Davis is available and there has to be others.

Although it could be legit, all the articles are currently citing the original CBS article. This could be like the Delmas to IR thing in the preseason last year.

October 20th, 2011, 12:56 pm
Team MVP

Man I understand we're gonna have injuries sooner or later, but this? Damn.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 20th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Water Boy

10 years ago he'd keep playing..

but this is now.. hoping keiland williams can step up..

October 20th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

This sucks!

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 20th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not exactly a surprise

Quote:
Killwill25 wrote:

ya atleast Momo and Williams won't run for as many losses. I'm just really worried about Jahvid Best's career and his life after football. The amount of concussions he's recieved is flat out scary and he's only 23-24. I would sit him for sure until after the bye week and if it happens again, I'd consider putting him on IR

October 20th, 2011, 1:34 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm not ready to say that it will end his season just yet, but it is a possibility. The team needs to do whatever is in his best interests, but it's too early to speculate on that right now. Sometimes the symptoms of a concussion may only last a day, while others may continue for years. It's too early to tell at this point.

October 20th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Modmin Dude

Why aren't these, and perhaps all, players using the 'new' helmet that's supposed to help prevent concussions? I remember when we drafted Ernie Sims and they outfitted him with a 'special/new' style helmet and I don't recall him getting any while he was here.

October 20th, 2011, 1:59 pm

TheRealWags wrote:
Why aren't these, and perhaps all, players using the 'new' helmet that's supposed to help prevent concussions? I remember when we drafted Ernie Sims and they outfitted him with a 'special/new' style helmet and I don't recall him getting any while he was here.

Because that 'new' helmet is more a triumph of marketing than of physics.

October 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

This...it really doesn't cut down on anything. Same goes for the new mouthpiece that is supposed to cut down on concussions as well.

October 20th, 2011, 2:10 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

This...it really doesn't cut down on anything. Same goes for the new mouthpiece that is supposed to cut down on concussions as well.

Were there some studies done on the helmets and mouthpieces or something? I haven't heard about that. Only the initial claims that these could help.

Just curious what you're basing your definitive answers on.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 20th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Were there some studies done on the helmets and mouthpieces or something? I haven't heard about that. Only the initial claims that these could help.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/10/s ... on-safety/

As I understand it, the new helmets could help, but there's no foolproof solution: the issue is the brain getting shaken around in the skull, not the actual impact to the head (if that makes sense).

October 20th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/lions-fully-expect-jahvid-best-to-play-again/

Quote:
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT

Some people close to Jahvid Best have told the running back he should consider not playing again this season.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, for one, said Thursday that he fully expected Best to return to the field this year, according to the Oakland Press.

The Lions have been careful not to say much of anything about Best’s prognosis following his latest concussion. They won’t even rule him out for this week.

The reality is that no one really knows how a player will recover from a concussion. The Patriots were hopeful defensive lineman Mike Wright would return from his latest head injury, and he never made it back this year.

October 20th, 2011, 2:49 pm
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/10/s ... on-safety/

As I understand it, the new helmets could help, but there's no foolproof solution: the issue is the brain getting shaken around in the skull, not the actual impact to the head (if that makes sense).

Exactly. The only way to prevent concussions for football players is to not play; other than that they should be given the opportunity/option of selecting equipment that will help as much as currently possible.

October 20th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next