View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Best advised to end his year 
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: Best advised to end his year
What are the Lions going to do now if Best has to sit out the rest of the year, we have no running game to speak of even when we had Best. You cannot just pass 70% of the time, teams will put 8 men on the line and just rush Stafford, wish a suspect offensive line as it is. How are we going to weather this new storm?

October 21st, 2011, 3:42 am
Varsity Captain

Where is Aaron Brown when we need him? I see that we resigned Matt Clapp to the practice squad. I also saw somewhere in this forum, that someone brought up Tiki Barber. Why the hell not? He can be like the little Dutch boy and put his finger in the dyke \:D/

October 21st, 2011, 5:53 am
RIP Killer

georgechuvalo wrote:
What are the Lions going to do now if Best has to sit out the rest of the year, we have no running game to speak of even when we had Best. You cannot just pass 70% of the time, teams will put 8 men on the line and just rush Stafford, wish a suspect offensive line as it is. How are we going to weather this new storm?

Re-read your own post. You said "we have no running game to speak of even when we had Best".....so why does losing him create such a huge issue? The problem lies on the offensive line. And if teams can pressure Stafford with six guys, like San Fran was able to do, then that's what they'll do. No need to rush eight, since that means someone will be open immediately and Stafford will find them.

There is a reason why first round running backs aren't the norm any longer. You can look around the league and see teams using backs taken in middle to later rounds, and being successful. Best has great speed, but he has not between the tackles running ability, which is why the Lions took Mikel LeShoure.

The Lions need to stop spending first and second round picks on running backs and start using those picks on offensive linemen with the ability to get push in the running game.

October 21st, 2011, 8:23 am
RIP Killer

Leonard Davis is still sitting around at home eating beefaroo, right? He's a fat load and could move a chump or two

October 21st, 2011, 8:47 am
RIP Killer

If Best is done for a significant amount of time I hope the Lions stay away from the washed up over 30 crowd.

Aaron Brown makes the most sense, he is Best-light. Another option is former Wayne State RB Joique Bell who is sitting on the Saints practice squad who always impressed me.

October 21st, 2011, 9:35 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

Pablo wrote:
If Best is done for a significant amount of time I hope the Lions stay away from the washed up over 30 crowd.

Aaron Brown makes the most sense, he is Best-light. Another option is former Wayne State RB Joique Bell who is sitting on the Saints practice squad who always impressed me.

I wouldn't mind seeing Aaron Brown brought back.

October 21st, 2011, 9:37 am
RIP Killer

Aaron Brown would be good with me, since he is pretty much Jahvid Best-lite. But I'd still like to see the Lions bring in yet another back, particularly if Best ends up on IR. I'm surprised the Lions haven't put Harrison on IR yet. Until they do, they really don't have the ability to sign anyone unless they release another player. They did bring James Davis in on the practice squad, and he's already hurt. :shock:
Go figure.........

As for Leonard Davis, I was in favor of bringing him in before the season started. If Schwartz values versatility like he says, then here's a guy who can play tackle or guard, and not too long ago did so at a Pro Bowl level. What would be the harm in putting him through a workout? I would hope that the Lions at least contacted his agent. Perhaps Davis is still looking for a big pay day? Wish I knew.....

October 21st, 2011, 10:15 am
Like I said when we drafted him - INJURY PRONE...

:finger: :nerd: :-({|=

October 21st, 2011, 10:59 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Jerome Harrison’s season officially ends; Lions sign Buckley
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 21, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT

The early word about Lions running back Jerome Harrison’s brain tumor is that doctors caught it early. ESPN’s Adam Schefter has indicated that Harrison’s long-term prognosis is good.

In the short term, Harrison obviously won’t be playing football. The Lions officially placed him on the non-football injury list Friday.

They signed former Eagles running back Eldra Buckley to take his place on the roster. Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams should split the Lions workload Sunday.

The NFI designation gives the Lions the discretion not to pay Harrison, but there is no reason to think they would do that. It would be an extremely unpopular decision in the locker room and throughout the league.

We wish Harrison all the best in his treatment and recovery.

October 21st, 2011, 11:59 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
PFT wrote:

The early word about Lions running back Jerome Harrison’s brain tumor is that doctors caught it early. ESPN’s Adam Schefter has indicated that Harrison’s long-term prognosis is good.

In the short term, Harrison obviously won’t be playing football. The Lions officially placed him on the non-football injury list Friday.

They signed former Eagles running back Eldra Buckley to take his place on the roster. Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams should split the Lions workload Sunday.

The NFI designation gives the Lions the discretion not to pay Harrison, but there is no reason to think they would do that. It would be an extremely unpopular decision in the locker room and throughout the league.

career avg of 3.1 ypc, he should fit right in with the Lions running game.

October 21st, 2011, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
PFT wrote:

career avg of 3.1 ypc, he should fit right in with the Lions running game.

Well said.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 21st, 2011, 2:22 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Hey, three yards on first and second down respectively wouldn't be too bad.

October 21st, 2011, 2:45 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Hey, three yards on first and second down respectively wouldn't be too bad.

what's sad is, that would be an improvment over what we've been doing.

October 21st, 2011, 7:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Boz wrote:
Where is Aaron Brown when we need him? I see that we resigned Matt Clapp to the practice squad. I also saw somewhere in this forum, that someone brought up Tiki Barber. Why the hell not? He can be like the little Dutch boy and put his finger in the dyke \:D/
I was going to suggest this as an option. If we do sign him, it should be for at least a 2 year contract. That way, if he somehow, is the same RB that he was when he retired, we can get something in trade for him at the end of this season.

October 22nd, 2011, 10:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
PFT wrote:

How does the IR/NFIL affect the cap? Do the salaries of those on those lists count against the cap? Or do they fall off the cap?

October 22nd, 2011, 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next