View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Falcons 
RIP Killer

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Falcons
Blueskies wrote:
Maybe I'm overstating his accuracy. I don't know. I want to see a youtube video of all his throws.

One thing that I won't back down on is, though, is this knock on his "happy feet" and "pocket presence"--BS.

The pocket was collapsing on almost every passing play. If he had stood there he would've been sacked a dozen times, and that was with Atlanta rushing 4 on almost every down.

Sorry Blueskies, but I'm not with you on this at all. Yes, the pocket was collapsing....but it was doing that in weeks one through five when he was making good throws downfield too. The offensive line isn't "suddenly" playing poorly. They are playing the same way now as they were against any of the teams the Lions have beaten. What has changed has been Stafford's play, specifically in the last couple weeks. He's playing scared, and I have no idea why.

I watched the tape of the San Fran game, and some of Stafford's throws were atrocious. Wide open guys getting missed. Throws getting there late. Poor reads on who the open receiver was. I only caught some of the highlights of the Falcons game, but I saw the same exact thing. Not receiver drops, but quarterback misses. That last throw to Pettigrew was TERRIBLE. No reason for the pass to be that far off the mark. He's a professional quarterback, and he's paid very well to make that throw in those circumstances.

I, for one, would not be disappointed to see the Lions sit Stafford and have Shaun Hill start the next game. I think Stafford's play these past two weeks have cost the Lions the games as much as the penalties have. He's been that bad.

October 24th, 2011, 10:16 am
QB Coach

Ok so I thought taking out the legs of a QB was illegal after Tom Brady got hurt?

"The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 12 (roughing the passer) says that: "A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him.""

On our last offensive play, Curtis Lofton dives for Stafford and hits him around the knee, maybe a little lower with his helmet, and injures him. Isn't that what this rule is supposed to prevent? And why wasn't the flag thrown?

October 24th, 2011, 10:23 am
QB Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Ok so I thought taking out the legs of a QB was illegal after Tom Brady got hurt?

"The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 12 (roughing the passer) says that: "A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him.""

On our last offensive play, Curtis Lofton dives for Stafford and hits him around the knee, maybe a little lower with his helmet, and injures him. Isn't that what this rule is supposed to prevent? And why wasn't the flag thrown?

I don't think he's a rushing defender anymore once Stafford is rolling out. At that point he's pursuing him. My understanding is that the rule is meant to apply when the QB is in the pocket. I may be wrong, but that's my understanding. Either way, I hate this rule.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

October 24th, 2011, 10:27 am
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
I, for one, would not be disappointed to see the Lions sit Stafford and have Shaun Hill start the next game. I think Stafford's play these past two weeks have cost the Lions the games as much as the penalties have. He's been that bad.

I wouldn't go that far. Hill might offer this team a better chance of winning right now, given Stafford's play the past 2 games. But I'd stress the "might" and the "right now". There's too much invested in Stafford's success for the long term future of this franchise to take just a chance on Hill being better next Sunday.

I think we should stick with Stafford and try and get him back to his start of season play.

October 24th, 2011, 10:40 am
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. Hill might offer this team a better chance of winning right now, given Stafford's play the past 2 games. But I'd stress the "might" and the "right now". There's too much invested in Stafford's success for the long term future of this franchise to take just a chance on Hill being better next Sunday.

I think we should stick with Stafford and try and get him back to his start of season play.

Stafford needs a jolt. Also, he may be hurt. They have a bye after the Denver game. I think shutting him down next week, and then allowing him two weeks to recover rather than one makes sense. Many times a starting QB responds after getting the hook. They tend to refocus. It may or may not happen for Matt. But as of right now, he's not the same QB he was in the first month of the season....not even close.

October 24th, 2011, 11:31 am
Veteran General Manager

hamma77 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Another bs call on KVB - he got pushed into Ryan and hit him in the upper chest

That gives them a first rather than a punt - another screw job call

every week, our pass rush is too good for the new nfl rules

Par for the course for the Lions. We finally get a Reggie White....... After Reggie White has been declared bad for the game. The Panzification of the NFL. It will be the NFL's undoing.

If another league ever starts, with some good financial backing, and will allow the players to play real football. It won't be long before they overtake the NFL in popularity.

October 24th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Heisman Winner

did anyone see that clay matthews late hit...oh my god. I'd be outrage if I was a packers fan

October 24th, 2011, 7:05 pm
Pro Bowl Player

You wanna give him a jolt?

Well why not apply that to every other unit on the team that's unperformed? Why don't we bench the entire offensive line? Lets fire the ST coach and cut all the ST-only players.

Stafford is still statistically the 6th best QB in the league, and I think top 10 overall for sure.

Only bench Stafford if he's hurt. If he isn't, that just shows you have zero confidence in your QB. That's not gonna do you any good. He didn't lose the game single handedly. He didn't pull a Romo and throw three picks. He had two arguably sub par performances and you bench him on that?

If he's physically able to go, let him play and try to work back into form against a bad team.

October 24th, 2011, 7:27 pm
Junior Varsity

m2karateman wrote:
Many times a starting QB responds after getting the hook. They tend to refocus. It may or may not happen for Matt. But as of right now, he's not the same QB he was in the first month of the season....not even close.

I don't know that i agree with giving him the hook, but I 100% agree that he isn't the QB that he was the first few weeks of the season. I've said before, his facial expressions are not that of a guy who is having fun or who wants to be out there.

October 24th, 2011, 7:45 pm
QB Coach

For what it's worth, Suh is vehemently denying that he or Avril taunted Ryan. Here's a video:

http://prod.www.lions.clubs.nfl.com/media-center/videos/Locker-Room-Video-Ndamukong-Suh/05a340d3-6403-40e2-826d-4bb206ac2797

LET'S GO DUKE!

October 24th, 2011, 7:48 pm
Walk On

Couple of thoughts:

1. Lion run game is bad, and it is surprising it hasn't been exposed before now ... but coming from behind by passing in so many games HAS hidden that to a great extent. Losing LeShoure was huge. Not replacing him with someone who is a reasonably feared RB (e.g. Ricky Williams) was a mistake.

2. The comeback wins to start the season were awesome - but then to translate that into predictions of ongoing wins and blowouts was probably a mistake of the kool-aid drinking variety. Beat some winning teams before starting to predict 12 win seasons.

3. The thing that pisses me off most about this game Sunday was the home crowd. I'm a Bear fan more than a Lion fan - and I was at that Monday Night Game. The Lion Home Crowd WON that game for the Lions - It was unbelievable... simply unbelievable how loud and intense FF was. The Bears Oline and defense folded under the pressure. Even though my main team lost, I was still happy for Lions & fans ... I've been to a dozen Lions games in the past 10 years since I've lived here, and the crowds are generally depressing with a significant # of seats empty. I was hoping that Monday night game was the start of something new at FF. So... where the HELL was that crowd on Sunday? Where was the noise - the intensity & the home field advantage? The team needs to learn how to win - and so do the fans.

October 24th, 2011, 8:03 pm
QB Coach

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For what it's worth, Suh is vehemently denying that he or Avril taunted Ryan. Here's a video:

http://prod.www.lions.clubs.nfl.com/media-center/videos/Locker-Room-Video-Ndamukong-Suh/05a340d3-6403-40e2-826d-4bb206ac2797

I also just checked the video and took a screen shot to show where Suh and Avril are when Ryan goes down. Suh is clearly seen with two Atlanta players between him and Ryan. Avril is right next to Suh. So way either of them taunted Ryan without the Atlanta players hearing it and going ballstic. No freaking way.

LET'S GO DUKE!

October 24th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think their claim was that this stuff was happening after the play, while Ryan was on the field with the trainers. Certainly the "leg kicking" stuff never happened--the video shows it would be impossible. However, there's no way to tell if anything was said or not based on the various video clips. If Suh was "miked up" for the game then the truth might come out.

Either way, I don't think what the Falcons are claiming is really all that bad, even if true. They obviously weren't "taunting" Ryan about being hurt--after all, Ryan said he didn't hear any of it and if they were taunting him, they certainly would do it loud enough for him to hear. And it was a leg injury, not a neck or head injury so Ryan's health was obviously not in danger. It's being blown way out of proportion by the media, who is eager to run with every potential story that involves Suh.

October 24th, 2011, 9:01 pm
NFL Team Captain

m2karateman wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Stafford needs a jolt. Also, he may be hurt. They have a bye after the Denver game. I think shutting him down next week, and then allowing him two weeks to recover rather than one makes sense. Many times a starting QB responds after getting the hook. They tend to refocus. It may or may not happen for Matt. But as of right now, he's not the same QB he was in the first month of the season....not even close.

I definitely agree. The coaches need sit him, blame it on the leg and then the bye week. Shaun should start next week and let Matt clear the cob webs and get healthy. Before anyone decides to go off, I'm not saying bench Matt for the season, just let him rest the next couple of weeks and get "refocused" as M2K said. Shaun Hill can beat Denver and this whole team may just need a little change. It won't hurt a thing.

October 24th, 2011, 10:34 pm
League MVP

Quote:
You wanna give him a jolt?

Well why not apply that to every other unit on the team that's unperformed? Why don't we bench the entire offensive line? Lets fire the ST coach and cut all the ST-only players.

Stafford is still statistically the 6th best QB in the league, and I think top 10 overall for sure.

Only bench Stafford if he's hurt. If he isn't, that just shows you have zero confidence in your QB. That's not gonna do you any good. He didn't lose the game single handedly. He didn't pull a Romo and throw three picks. He had two arguably sub par performances and you bench him on that?

If he's physically able to go, let him play and try to work back into form against a bad team.

have to agree with this. learn to cover a damn kick and punt and we re 7-0. dont make penalties in clutch situations and we re 7-0. learn how to communicate on blitz pickup and improve the special teams - those are the adjustments we need to make. i could see sitting stafford if he s hurt but otherwise it doesnt make any sense. dropped passes are a big problem, stafford s throw to pettigrew should have been caught, the other one on the sideline to burleson should have been caught, a slant to calvin johnson was perfect and should have been caught. i agree stafford isnt playing his best - he keeps missing these passes to burleson on the line of scirmmage and he has a touch of joey harrington's happy feet coming on but benching a 23 yr old top 10 NFL QB is not the right answer esp with a winnable, potentially confidence building game coming up. stafford needs to play through his struggles.

October 24th, 2011, 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next